The Guardian: "Sales of e-cigarettes soar, but do they really work?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDougal

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2011
Louisville, KY
A bit clueless, like many big media publications are about new products that are largely driven by customer interest, The Guardian takes a stab at e-cigarettes.

So what of the fastest growing wheeze from the NRT industry: the e-cigarette? This electronic device releases varying amounts of nicotine in a warm water mist, simulating the flavour of a cigarette. A red LED light at its tip even resembles the burning tip of a cigarette. Because electronic cigarettes produce water vapour rather than smoke, they can be used indoors legally in the UK. Manufacturers claim they taste and smoke like a real cigarette. New figures from the Electronic Cigarette Consumer Association show the UK electronic cigarette industry is now worth about £5m a year. Users of the devices are expected to top 1million this year, despite repeated calls for research into their side effects from medical experts who have raised questions about what the devices contain and their impact on users.
Jamie Leith, 25, director of a social enterprise, has wrestled with his 10 a day addiction (20 on weekends) for five years. "Enough is enough. I saw my friend had an e-cigarette and he'd cut down dramatically so I thought I'd give it a go," says Leith. "For the last 5 years I have been an all or nothing smoker. I managed to quit last year, but I was a roll-up smoker and didn't find that tricky at all. Since working abroad and falling into the trap of 'straight' cigarettes I have feebly failed to quit twice.....

Sales of e-cigarettes soar, but do they really work? | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread