Status
Not open for further replies.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
The history of Project Chameleon: Name TBA

Even though Project Chameleon's timeline is short, the evolution has been at Godspeed. When we took on the Original Chameleon, it was the smallest 16340 mod in the market. It also brought us a new isolated button design. To sum up the features of the Original concept: Compact, liquid resistant button design, scratch proof, wireless, solder-less, jam packed with 3 adapters (901/KR808/RN4075, 801/BE112/302/RN4081, 510/510 Cartomizer) all included at Stock prices. It also brought us the ability of different voltages via accessories such as: Extension sleeve for HV 6 volt vaping (2x 3.0V) XHV 7.4-8.4V (2x 3.7V) and Larger and longer run timed 3.7V batteries such as the 14670 1100mah and 17670 1800mah. 5 volts via USB pass-through.

The original has brought us many features of all types into the vaping world, dubbing it the most versatile of mods in the market.
Sadly there was but one Achilles heel in the unit , the .50mA tact switch that is meant to activate the unit. The 50mA tact has been successful for most user's and even though we honor a ONE year warranty on button replacement services, the returns still have been very minimal.

Just like the 510 Cartomizer, we were told we're just reinventing the wheel, but in our eyes we have perfected the device. The saying goes as follows "Don't fix it, if it's not broken" As visionaries we see this statement to be false. If we don't explore, then we will never have room to evolve. So we ventured on master the almighty compact unit to achieve a life time warranty and immortal status.

Here, our machinist was showing off a seamless threading style for the top cone and bottom button activated sector. Also he adjusted the adapters to be small as possible and blind to the eye making the atomizer sit flush with the unit for a one solid piece appearance. The seems are virtually impossible to see, but needless to say we were not too fond of the way it came out as the unit lacked personality and character.
43ef4451.jpg

Thats when we decided to kick it up a notch by making the bottom button and top cone completely visible. a little too visible :oops: It was still under the 3 inch mark, but was a prototype none the less. A stepping stone, if you will.
7578ac06.jpg
Shame the name Silver Bullet is taken :p

As time progressed, the machinist and I were building a beautiful relationship and he invited us into his home this weekend to get more acquainted to meet each others families. Thats what brings us to here, This unit has style, it has class and is solidly built. The weight of the unit is not too light, but yet not too heavy. Really it's right. It feels like it can handle the most harshest of abuse and still preform as if it's brand new. The unit can sit top side up, without activating the switch as it has a natural resistance to it. The button was hard to push in as it glides with the hand's motion. The unit went through extensive tests on the the machinists behalf and we're happy to report there was not one misfire or accidental activation.
a4525ec6.jpg

BUT there was just one flaw in the build and thats when a light bulb shined ever so brightly in my new friend's mind that faithful day.

That flaw gave us the idea to scratch off this concept to bring the unit to even such greater heights. With the even newer design, we'll be able to shave off roughly 30% of the size. The adapter's have also been modified to be cut significantly shorter as will the unit overall. As a good friend recently said to me this morning "The activation will be a supreme solution, it will lie perfectly in the hand and the function will be logical"

What were doing now has never been done in the industry and will be completely fail safe. We hope to bring to you the most innovative and ground breaking unit in existence. To be continued....

(Reserved photo for the Gecko Final)

Last edited:

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
Thanks guys!
With how fast things are moving, we're really devoting a ton of time (obviously from lack of posting :p ) to the perfection of this unit. The wait will definitely be worth it, as the unit will preform just naturally in hand, even for the good folks with dreaded arthritis. After this one is completed, we will get to work on an 18650 version as well as a few other surprises. ;)

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
"The activation will be a supreme solution, it will lie perfectly in the hand and the function will be logical"

What were doing now has never been done in the industry and will be completely fail safe. We hope to bring to you the most innovative and ground breaking unit in existence. To be continued....

(Reserved photo for the Gecko Final)

Ah ha.... sounds like a new button/switch design is in the works! The prototype looks really nice.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
Ah ha.... sounds like a new button/switch design is in the works! The prototype looks really nice.
Thank you good sir! and It's not going to stop there! We're looking at all types of different finishes such as textures and colors. We may have a few basics such as Black, Silver and collector editions to start out with. with user control color customizations. :D did i mention matching drip tips?

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Thank you good sir! and It's not going to stop there! We're looking at all types of different finishes such as textures and colors. We may have a few basics such as Black, Silver and collector editions to start out with. with user control color customizations. :D did i mention matching drip tips?

Ah! good sir as usual you read my mind. I was going to recommend different colours for the tube. It seems anodising is extremely durable and can come in a myriad of colours.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
Ah! good sir as usual you read my mind. I was going to recommend different colours for the tube. It seems anodising is extremely durable and can come in a myriad of colours.
I'm telling ya Switcher, we have to be related or on the same wave lengths! Right on with the durability. You have to see the collectors edition for the pattern. It's just AMAZING. It's like a veiny/scaley type finish and oh yeah, it's going Green! We haven't really decided on the standard finish. Matte vs Glossy or whatever else there is. There is Much to choose from in this department. If you or anyone has any suggestions, fire away!
It always makes my wallet twitch when suppliers say things similar to this...

:)
Ah man, Angus Just wait! lol Step right up step right up! The most groundbreaking revolutionary technology in all the land, it will butter bread, cook your eggs and fry your ham, we're talking full continental here!
or ya know, just another pv :D

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA

I'm most curious about the "supreme solution" to the mechanical button :)

I appreciate the low profile adapters (not to mention the fact that there IS a set of adapters) and how the prototype design eliminates a threaded connection from the system. I'm guessing this will be aluminum with an anodized coating? I think you mentioned that it is a little heavier than the original Chameleon. The lite weight of the original is something that I have come to appreciate. Pocket friendly in size and top pocket friendly in weight are very virtuous attributes of the original.

Also, do you ship to Germany, just curious :)

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
I'm most curious about the "supreme solution" to the mechanical button :)

I appreciate the low profile adapters (not to mention the fact that there IS a set of adapters) and how the prototype design eliminates a threaded connection from the system. I'm guessing this will be aluminum with an anodized coating? I think you mentioned that it is a little heavier than the original Chameleon. The lite weight of the original is something that I have come to appreciate. Pocket friendly in size and top pocket friendly in weight are very virtuous attributes of the original.

Also, do you ship to Germany, just curious :)
That we do sir Madness. We ship mainly all over the world except for the countries that would appear to be "Acts of terrorism" to send any package to. Actually, the new Gecko would be even lighter than the chameleon as well. You see, the weight that was coming from the previous Gecko was bottom heavy, but with the switch removed out of the equation. it's only logical for the unit to be significantly lighter. The switch was beautifully built. I'm regretting not taking pictures of the inside, but relieved as well (just in case for any future releases. We sort of used a button that derived from the Chameleon's back cap, just much more reinforced with a larger and more durable internal spring that was embedded into a brass enclosure (ya know like Chameleons back cap) so the spring was invisible to the eye. If a problem were ever to arise, it was also easily accessible ;)
my breath is now baited, and i'm waiting ;)

Ejoker himself! It's great to see you buddy!

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
Ahh He's just messing with ya lol
I sent him the pics on the 1st post via text messages from my phone.
I spent hours at the shop yesterday and we been talking about the new switch design and we think it might better to stick with previous photo's setup with a few modifications of course. This set up is very strong and completely user friendly in any shape and form. It is everything we were looking for in strength, a true mechanical switch, limited life time warranty and simply just works. We have it next to the smallest size possible and can go even smaller, but then we have a chance of forfeiting the ease of comfort as it fits so nicely in hand. This one will also carry a 6V option and if at all possible a 5V upgrade component.

With the new setup, changing adapters on the fly would be impossible or extremely difficult and in the unlikely chance of failure, the unit would need to be sent back for repair. Not to mention the significant size difference in caparison to the Chameleon, making the unit's top portion to appear bulbous. We're going to devote more time to the concept, as there are just too many kinks to iron out for release. This concept will most likely be instilled to the Komodo. (18650 version)

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I'm sure with the attention to detail that you are known to provide it will be a winner. On a side note, size is not everything. I know certain folks are driving this marketing strategy, and there are costs associated with this, in more ways then one and not necessarily tied to $.

Is it my understanding that the Chameleon is now officially out of production?

As with many other models coming out which are designed around a specific battery, the Gecko should hold true on that concept. I say this with a certain a mount of reservation, but at the same time for the following reasons:
  • the AW line is the most consistent battery line available to us;
  • although things may change in the future, I doubt that their quality and consistency will falter;
  • this in turn should bring the competition (battery mfrs) to tighten up their QC. One can always hope no?;
  • instead of trying to build a mod that will accept x, y and z. Design a mod that indeed has a certain amount of flexibility, without sacrificing quality and size, to accommodate the inconsistencies in batteries we see out there;
  • folks that want the Gecko will indeed cow-tow to acquiring the appropriate battery. I believe of late with all the discussions on this forum that folks are finally coming to grips wrt quality. (pure speculation here); and
  • understanding a very demanding market, a certain amount of flexibility must exist. That being said, not at the cost of quality.
I am sure which ever way you go, it will be a winner. :)

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
Thank you señior Switcher.
It is a tough call indeed and your right, if we can get enough mod makers to all follow one suit of using a certain brand of batteries to model their units after, then we can totally ensure safety and not sacrifice size due to inconsistencies of these mass production brands, but alas amigo there are user's that already invested hundreds upon hundreds on these lower priced batteries and if we were to design the Gecko solely after AW batteries then it would be a loss on our side from customers not willing to buy the appropriate batteries and a loss on their side for investing on their needed types.

We have to be universal, especially for the 18650 version. (maybe) Aw did just release their 18650p batteries, they provide 2900 of real mah and use LiNiCoO2 NNP cells. http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-data/pdf2/ACI4000/ACI4000CE17.pdf

SPECIFICATIONS:

Nominal Voltage : 3.6V
Capacity : 2900mAH ( rated at 0.2C discharge 4.2V - 2.5V @ 25℃ )
Operating Temp. : Charge 0 to 45℃ / Discharge -20 to 60 ℃
Recommended Charge Rate : 825mA ( ambient temp. 25 ℃ )
Max. Discharge Rate : 5.8A ( ambient temp. 25 ℃ )
Dimensions :18.52 X 68.16mm ( +/- 0.3mm )

eb2de23b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread