The Holy Grail Cart Filler! Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darmeen

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
TX USA
gotta try the gold plated coffee filters

Okay guys...I have found the holy grail, or as close as you can get excluding human intervention.

I had to make a trip to Wal-Mart this evening, so I was nosing around for the next mod material...then I remembered this thread.

I went over to the isle for the coffee pots (also typically where the filters are kept and found something similar to this
sm337521.jpg

I happened to have a bottle of juice in my pocket, so I opened the box and put a single drop on the wire mesh...it sat there...I was like 'okay, part one down...the mesh is fine enough that the juice won't just go right through (flooding the atty)'

Then I stuck my finger on the inside of the mesh, under that drop...and it pulled right through it...okay, step two down...the mesh will wick easily enough...

Well, that was all I needed to know at that point, time to put it back in the box and drop it in the basket.

Small caveat here...on walmarts website, they have a model that is like $15...the one I bought in store was $5.

Okay, so I get home and carefully remove one of the sections and cut a piece slightly bigger than the 510 cart...(think of it as a plug, not a filler)

Then with a dry cart, I flex the mesh and put it in, so it had a concave look when in the tip of the cart.

My thought was, if the mesh is pressed against all the sides, and slightly indented, it has the tensile strength to support itself (no spring, no straw), but will still make contact with the atty for proper wicking...

Moment of truth, I removed my new 'screen' with a needle, filled the cart, and slid it onto the atty...well, the juice didn't start pouring out the air holes, that is a good sign!

I took a hit off of it and it fired to life, giving me the same hit as if I were dripping. Then I took a really long, slow pull on it (normally until the atty get hot)....another great hit...and the atty was still cool (well, cooler than it normally would be)...

I proceeded to sit back and vape on my 510 for nearly an hour and a half and when the taste dipped off, I removed my screen to find the cart totally empty...I mean TOTALLY!!!

The screen was in the same position that I had put it in and I had a monster buzz from my stock 510! So I refilled and put the screen back in...only to flood my atty (see the human intervention remark earlier in my post)....when I pulled the cart off, I saw that I had not got the screen pressed evenly along the walls of the cart...okay start again.

Grab a new atty, refill the cart again, put the screen in and check for proper seating...well that was over an hour ago and I am still getting awesome pulls off of it...gone through 2 batteries and working on a third, with just two carts...

I may start a new thread and take some pictures to post tomorrow...but I wanted to thank everyone who posted in this thread to give me initiative to try something.

kcomfort001

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2009
Anniston, AL
Okay, I've written about the idea of the Holy Grail Filter before

And I've tried the stainless steel mesh out just now. It works! It also makes the atty a lot less hot when smoking so that on my first puff I was afraid that I'd broken the atty. It stays cool. Someone else mentioned the same effect with copper mesh. I think the polyester was "insulating" the atty by holding air, making the atty heat up!

I used a stainless steel mesh filter from a broken french press. I wanted to use it since I knew from years of use that it doesn't rust, is exceptionally fine, and whatever harmful chemicals might have been on it have been consumed already by me in my coffee.

I just cut out three pieces, rolled them up, and stuck them in. (Later mod, I added a "bridge" made from a long thin strip I crammed between the outer and middle layers and let the attly push down in the center so that they touch for increased "wicking". I left out details: I cut the three strips so that the center one was shortest so that the atty wasn't pushed by it, the outer one was the height of the cart and the tallest, the middle one was the median height of the outer and middle one. Planned mod experiment: a circle in the center of the cart bridge, so that the atty forms a cone in the center.)

(Okay, actually, I cut, rolled, unrolled, cut again, rolled, stuck my fingers a few times on stainless steel needles, tried stuffing it into the cart again, unrolled, snipped... Repeat two more times, and then it was done!)

It doesn't hold an infinite amount of liquid, but it holds more than before, and the lower temperature in the chamber makes me feel more confident about vaping. I do think it will probably last for a long long long time.

I just thought I'd share. I'm supposed to be working right now, so I've gotta go, but I might post pics if I have time later!

so has anyone tried a shamwow? just curious.

Krickster

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
texas
www.thecommerceguild.com
Glenn,

I like the idea you have of making it an enclosure. Sort of makes it easier to remove and insert. Although, I think the multiple layers using the Mr. Coffee steel mesh filters (brass? gold?) may hold back too much, but not sure.

Considering the internal "lip" inside of the 510 carts, does anyone have an idea on making something for the 510 with the coffee filter mesh in the same manner?

I tried Darmeen's approach, but keep flooding the atty because I can't seem to get the edges to seal. Maybe I am cutting the wrong size or something. Darmeen, can you post some pics or vid?

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
Glenn,

I like the idea you have of making it an enclosure. Sort of makes it easier to remove and insert. Although, I think the multiple layers using the Mr. Coffee steel mesh filters (brass? gold?) may hold back too much, but not sure.

Considering the internal "lip" inside of the 510 carts, does anyone have an idea on making something for the 510 with the coffee filter mesh in the same manner?

I tried Darmeen's approach, but keep flooding the atty because I can't seem to get the edges to seal. Maybe I am cutting the wrong size or something. Darmeen, can you post some pics or vid?

Thanks,
Ken

Ken,
With this setup there is no need to remove the screen to refill, just drip 10 drops 1/2 ml right on the screen and it sucks right it right up.

"Hold back too much" no way I think I have to fold it 3 times for each piece on the next one I make, I think it's releasing too much liquid.

Yes, Gold? Brass? my thoughts exactly so I'm looking for a solid stainless steel fine filter. If you find one please let me know. Also no one has posted on my post on how to make this! I just think this is so much better the poly or blue foam, just place a match under poly, blue foam and stainles steel and see what happens.

My only concern is when the battery goes into self clean mode it may heat up the screen and may melt the plastic, just the other day I picked up my 901 and it was HOTTER THEN HELL with a puddle of juice on the table.

I am pondering a stainless steel cart with a SS screens.:cool:

Last edited:

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
Glenn,

Thanks,
Ken

Ken,
If someone wants to send me a 510 Atty Batty and Cart I'll make one and post the the measurements,lol. No, just kidding at some point I will buy one probably soon and do the same thing to it and post it!:rolleyes:

Darmeen

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
TX USA
Glenn,

Thanks,
Ken

My technique worked great for me for about a week...then the mesh simply wouldn't cooperate anymore...it stopped wicking, wouldn't seal right so it either starved the atty or flooded it. that is when I moved on to the ZFM mod.

I haven't found a mod that was perfect though, but I have been using a variant of the silicone mod for over a month now on two carts...

Krickster

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2009
texas
www.thecommerceguild.com
My technique worked great for me for about a week...then the mesh simply wouldn't cooperate anymore...it stopped wicking, wouldn't seal right so it either starved the atty or flooded it. that is when I moved on to the ZFM mod.

I haven't found a mod that was perfect though, but I have been using a variant of the silicone mod for over a month now on two carts...

I agree. Love the ZFM. Just wish there was an easier way to refill.

SCOTTYBALLS

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Greenville, S.C.
I agree. Love the ZFM. Just wish there was an easier way to refill.

My most recent plugs have had a lil larger hole, its big enough to put the tip of the bottle a sqeeze the juice right into the cart working good... however there is a trade off for this cause it will leak if not properly stored cart down..

Im trying to figure out how to get rid of gravity then search will be over!!:D

The Mosh

Moved On
Jan 5, 2010
kansas city
You know guys, that suggestion to use window screen as batting was an awesome idea. I took some extra that I had laying around the house, and cut it to size for my 510. I think I may have squeezed it a little tight because it's only doing about 9 drops of liquid, but the flavor is really smooth and consistent with no leakage yet (about three hours into it).

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
You know guys, that suggestion to use window screen as batting was an awesome idea. I took some extra that I had laying around the house, and cut it to size for my 510. I think I may have squeezed it a little tight because it's only doing about 9 drops of liquid, but the flavor is really smooth and consistent with no leakage yet (about three hours into it).

Not a window screen!! Pick up a stainless steal coffee filter for $5 and use 3 folds instead of 2 from here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/58614-my-first-cart-mod-901-a.html it works great, atty is always wet and has a clean taste.:cool: 10 drops 1/2 ml lasts a long time.:thumbs:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread