Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
The Innokin Kroma-Z POD/MOD

i6VT4rI.jpg

First - The Disclaimer:
I am not a professional writer, nor professional reviewer of any products/product lines. Over the past few years - the only reviews or suggestions I have made were at the time which I believed I could provide information or add something to the conversation. What’s more important, anything I said was – or will say, is – “My” Personal Opinion . . .

BTW: As usual when testing any vaping equipment I use my ADV of Unflavored 50/50 24 NIC w/Koolada (sometimes 1-2 Drops of “Menthol Crystal Liquid) added to provide a "Cooling" Menthol effect. Also, I evaluated any equipment based on “My” experiences after using numerous different products for the past 9 years, first as a dual user then becoming a full-time vapor 2 years ago.

By now people know, I do not just jump on a product to just write a review without taking the time to actually test it fully . . . So - For anyone interested in a more formal description and specifications about this product should check these links about the Innokin Kroma-Z:

This is not a “normal” review” as some of you have read before, however if you want to know what it is to experience this product from a personal perspective – "Mine" - then we’re good.

Even with that being said, let’s start at the beginning of this adventure and escapade with The Innokin Kroma-Z POD/MOD . . .

Okay over a month ago, after UPS decided to take the Kroma-Z on a sightseeing trip of my neighborhood for the weekend and another day at their facility, The Kroma-Z finally arrived only 3 days later than expected at my apartment on November 16th, 2020.

At first look, when the Kroma-Z arrived I was a little concerned that something had happened to it or I got a counterfeit of some short, simply because the packaging was not what I was normally use to getting from Innokin. The quality of the box holding the Kroma-Z was out of thin cardboard and only had 2 small paper circles holding the "Box" together. Also the extras were in paper envelopes. So I did some research and found out that what I received was Innokin's new 100% Recycling packaging, no more plastic wrapped box nor cellophane wrapped coils/extras. Surely, a very good move for the environment. AND - Once I figured out how to open the box without destroying it (just in case I needed to send it back or provide the verification number) I was very pleased to see it was definitely the Kroma-Z from Innokin. Everything in the box was intact for the Kroma-Z. Also, got a 510 Adapter for the Kroma-Z to replace the POD so you can use a traditional tank.

First impression:

Once I got the box opened and saw what was inside I could automatically tell the Kroma-Z is without-a-doubt an "Innokin" product (not a want-ta-be) and even looks similar to its predecessor the Kroma/Kroma-A/Kroma-R. However there are a few differences with the Kroma-Z.

The Kroma-Z – IMHO - itself is well made and very sturdy. The POD, which holds 4.5 ml of e-liquid is made of a smokey plastic that sits atop the Kroma-Z smoothly and blends into the side of the base. THANKFULLY - Strong magnets hold the pod in place atop the base. Even tipping over or dropping the Kroma-Z (say 2 feet onto desk top) the POD is held tightly and does not dislodge in anyway (BTW: Doesn’t mean it won’t suffer any damage or cracking if miss used). Also the POD is very easy to fill and change coils or modify with the enclosed Airflow Ring. As for the Drip Tip on the POD, Thankfully, is what I call a standard 510 size for MTL vaping and feels quite comfortable.

The Kroma-Z is slightly taller & wider than previous Kroma's, but - IMHO - just as sleek & comfortable - if not more so, especially given the smooth rubberized feel and Carbon textured webbing.

5Vfy6MX.jpg

The Kroma-Z actually "fills" the palm of my hand closed (not Small – nor Large for a man), leaving the POD sitting right above the grip of my hand, with very easy access to the "Fire-Bar" with either the thumb/index finger and all the adjustable controls (+ & - w/the ring finger/pinky) too, including the airflow control and e-liquid "fill-hole" flap (w/Thumb).

And while the Kroma-Z maybe very similar to its predecessors - As someone who honestly prefers just the very basics in operations - KISS & Vape, I learned rather quickly the operation of this Kroma is somewhat different and there is a NEED (at least for me) to read the manual/instructions, especially to get familiarized with the additional parts, operation and the menu functions too (Puff counter, oHms', Volts, Lock-out, Cut-off Time, etc.).

Now, as for an actual test run using the Kroma-Z POD/MOD and putting it through its paces . . .

The 4.5 ml POD comes with 0.8 ohm coil preinstalled and the MTL Drip tip. So all you have to do is prim the coil, fill the tank, power on w/3 clicks (battery fully charged) and vape. However - STOP and LOOK . . . the Wattage was preset at 30 Watts . . . NOT HAPPENING ! ! !

It should be noted, that the Kroma-Z, will predetermine the wattage based on what ohm coils - be it in the POD/Tank that you are using . . . So double check, before vaping . . . Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

I was more then willing to try using a sub-ohm coil again, but HECK*NO, not at that wattage. So I reset the wattage down to what I think is a more reasonable wattage for me to start with - 10 Watts. AND - Since I am a Tootle Puffer, I had the airflow almost closed off.

Very interesting results, not quite what I was expecting. The first draw was quite airy and the "Taste" and/or feeling of "Coolness" I normally get from my ADV was missing. Kept at for an awhile readjusting the Airflow and wattage slightly. Finally, if I remembered correctly, lower ohm coils need higher wattage to perform at their best. As a result I kept increasing the Wattage, finally to what I was willing to have it set at – at the most - 25 Watts. Kept at it, but after a week of trying, changing the wattage and using different mixtures of a stronger ADV, it was still a no go for "Me", no "Taste" of "Coolness" and to much of an airy vapor draw (BTW: A lot of vapor) no matter what setting).

(Before continuing - Caveat: READ Instructions - How to remove POD ! ! ! DO NOT Force in the wrong direction or pull on the Fill hole rubber stopper . . . And make sure you reset it properly . . . Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes: )

Modifications were in order, thankfully Innokin supplied another MTL Air flow ring (with only one hole), so after exchanging the airflow ring on the POD – I started again at the beginning. It was helpful, just not there yet. Came time to change the coil - first using a 1.2 ohm Z-Coil and then a 1.6 ohm Z-coil instead

The results:

WOW - What a difference. It took a few days, but finally hit the mark with the 1.6 ohm Z-Coil, MTL, Airflow ring with one hole, and the wattage set between 10 - 14 Watts (at the most for me) depending on the ADV mix I'm using and personal mood. Of course - YMMV, but it's working for "Me" - It seems that all it took was adjusting the Kroma-Z setting to a preferred wattage/coil/airflow to hit that "Sweet Spot" again . . . :headbang: :smokie:

So I’ve been using the Kroma-Z Pod for a few extra weeks now to make sure it was not just a fluke. Nope, not a fluke, no problems – works very well, even using the 510 Adapter of the Kroma-Z to make it more like a typical MOD and using a 510 style tank (used both the Zenith/Zlide with 1.2 /1.6 Z- Coils).

Even took the Kroma-Z w/ a full POD, the 510 Adapter and a Tank out and about a few times. BTW: I found it much easier to have it setup with the adapter & tank, and then changed out to the POD later.

hPV9jzU.jpg

Which for someone that likes to change it up with different flavors frequently while out and about makes this POD/MOD an even better choice to have in your arsenal, especially if you only want to take just one mod out with you for the day. The Kroma-Z is shirt pocket friendly with either the POD or a Tank. Although. I would suggest strongly not to carry it in your pants pocket with any other items, especially metallic items – like Keys/Coins.

And with the 3000 mAh internal battery, I had no need to keep recharging it every day – after 3-4 days still was good. When the battery icon showed half a charge left, I did finally recharge the battery –– it only took about a half-hour to 45 mins, at the most, to recharge the battery to full.

Overall – talk about mixing it up . . .

It should be note here that, as someone who had on occasion tried a POD, really didn't like them and I have never considered myself a POD person – didn’t use them since I preferred using a Mod w/ Tank. That is until I tried the Innokin Sceptre and now the Kroma-Z POD/MOD. Today - I am not only a “TOOTLE PUFFER” – I’m a "POD Vapor".

PROS:

* 4.5ml POD – easy fill (however for some will need a "backlight")
* 510 Adapter to use your favorite Tank
* Uses any ohm Z-Coil you prefer
* MTL Airflow Adapter ring
* Quality - Well made, light, and with really good “Hand Feel” POD or MOD
* Easy Peasy - Change out from POD to MOD and back again to POD

CONS: (Or more of a suggestion)
* Innokin should make a Kroma- RZ . . . Replace battery / POD / MOD.
* POD a little to dark for some people with bad eyesight, unless you hold it up to a light source.
* Althoug much better for the environment - I miss the old packaging . . . :(
(Don't worry I'll get over it . . . :rolleyes: )

More importantly, after using the Kroma-Z POD MOD for over a month now – I couldn't be more pleased. I think this is a great option for those who prefer PODs, but also want the choice to use a MOD when the time calls for it AND – For those who prefer a MOD, but sometimes want to use a POD instead.

IMHO - Innokin has done it again ! ! ! ! :2c: The Kroma- Z get’s Uncle’s stamp of approval and is another Innokin product that I whole heartily recommend to all Vapors alike . . . :thumbs:

( Okay Now – Before anyone makes any comments. . . Once again, it will sometimes take “Me” quite awhile to write up and edit a review; so if “You” find any mistakes in grammar, punctuation, or spelling – get over it, I’m not a professional writer . . . Just Sayin’ . . . :rolleyes: Not only that, I take and create all the images I use in these reviews, so there's that too . . . :img:) )

BTW: Keep your eyes out for the next Review coming soon about the Customer suggested new & revised - Innokin’s Scepter MTL . . . :blink:

Last edited:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Good job buddy.

Not really a pod/MTL user but even so i read your whole review,that is how good it was.

Cheers

THANKS . . . However, Just An FYI:

Honestly, this POD/MOD is not just for MTL users, IMHO - it's a cut above a lot of other products out there and can be used for even the most decerning DL/Cloud Chaser . . . I just prefer to use it as a MTL Device . . . Give it a try, "You" just might like it . . . Maybe even @hittman will step-in here and tell Ya' some more about using a lower ohm coil . . . Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    THANKS . . . However, Just An FYI:

Honestly, this POD/MOD is not just for MTL users, IMHO - it's a cut above a lot of other products out there and can be used for even the most decerning DL/Cloud Chaser . . . I just prefer to use it as a MTL Device . . . Give it a try, "You" just might like it . . . Maybe even @hittman will step-in here and tell Ya' some more about using a lower ohm coil . . . Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

I tried the .8 that was preinstalled and got very good flavor but even wide open I kept wanting more air. I finally tried the .3 coil and loved it. It allows a lot more airflow. I’ve been running it at 23 watts with the airflow 3/4 open. I don’t like a super warm vape normally. At that setting it’s a nice cool DL vape. I’m sure you could go much higher on the watts if you wanted to. I have offered to do reviews for innokin in the past since I feel like they make quality devices but have never been taken up on it. No hard feelings. Like Uncle likes to say......Just sayin

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    Good job, Bro .. :)

What's it cost .. ??

The price really depends on where and what vendor you normally purchase from . . . I've seen it for $31 - $49 dollars for the POD/MOD Kit itself . . . There is also the 510 Adapter (purchased separately $4.99 at Innokin Kroma-Z 510 Adapter) if you want to use a Tank like the Zenith/Zlide . . . I'll do another search later and let you know what I find . . . Or hopefully, someone else like "The Savvy Vape Lady" (@JCinFLA) may know where you might get it for the least expensive price . . . :blink:

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I won mine in the contest (here on ECF) Tried the (installed 0.8 ohm coil) the mod preset to 16 watts. Love it. Very good flavor, loose MTL draw (just above half way open) Actually like everything about it (fire bar, airflow adjustment, large capacity on "pod" and great battery! Finally swapped to the 0.3 ohm coil (and keep in mind even though I still use some MTL tanks, I prefer restricted DL) The mod preset to 30 watts. I really liked it (airflow similar to before... just past halfway open) It performed great (this thing can actually do full DL if you want) but I felt the flavor was better with the 0.8 coil so going to order more of those. It is amazing light (mag alloy) and very "ergonomic" (for me at least... don't have big hands) Type C USB is always good too. Big plus that it uses the very popular Z coils. Most people seem to like the 0.3 ohm coils but just based on flavor, the 0.8 are outstanding (I suppose that depends on the juice) I am one happy camper. Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, that extra MTL airflow ring is a joke... didn't even try it (never got the concept of sucking a golf ball through a straw... I suppose some like that) I also like that they included two drip tips :thumb: I would actually say more, but I think you get the idea that I love this thing ;)

Innokin_timmy

Brand Rep
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 20, 2018
    Thank you Uncle for taking time to write this nice informative review as always! :thumbs:
    So happy to know you enjoy using it as well. Thanks for the heads up on the lights and the suggestion for the next version of it! ;) Hope we can have that soon~

Thank you all again for reading!
    Happy vaping and stay safe there!

Kent C

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    Received 2 from element vape today. Put in the 1.6 coil for MTL and the one hole air adapter, air wide open works for me - the 6 hole one too airy - and the 'curvy' dt. 8W for ylang ylang juice - ie."light".

Great vape and seems a bit cooler than the Zlide tank. Lighter than the Zlide Tube, which I also like, and the Kroma R of course. Also got the 'tank adapter' but haven't set it up...

Thanks for the review, @Uncle !

newyork13

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 9, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    My Z arrived a couple of days ago, and I've been using it with the .8Ω and it's very nice. I like the flavor and the vapor production. The outside air flow control is a pleasant change from many other mods. I like the fire bar, as opposed to a button. Looking forward to trying the .3Ω.
    All in all, this is a great little pod mod. Just ordered a second .

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    As always a well written comprehensive review and I thank you for it.

Like you I am a happy Tootle Puffer and I do like the idea that you can use either a pod or a favourite tank with this thing ( somewhat similar to the Dovpo Topside Lite which you can use as either a squonker or a straight mod ).

At first glance at the opening picture I did do a double take though and asked "Is the darn thing on wheels or what?" then I found my glasses!

Thanks again for a great review.

Kent C

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    Nice Review Uncle, as I understand it's not a good cloud chaser, is it good to quit smoking?

See:

The Innokin Kroma-Z POD/MOD - Review by Uncle

...and a few below that post, that mentions the .3Ω as good for cloud chasing. That and the 1.6Ω, 1.2Ω, and the .8Ω coils are all good for quitting smoking. If you smoke by DTL (direct to lung) use the .3 or .8 coil, if you smoke MTL (mouth to lung) then the 1.2, 1.6 are better. Sorry if you already knew that - but I see you're recently signed on :- )

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread