Not open for further replies.

Wafflestomper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Hello again Vapeheads.

I figured it's time I got off of my .... and review this bad-daddy.
So, there I sat at last months vape meeting, puffing away on my little T-tank Ego... happy and content. Prior to arriving, I promised myself that I will NOT buy anything at this meeting. Times are tough man, and the salad days of buying mod after mod are gone the way of the Great-White Dodo.

In walks a new guy.. A crazy Romanian guy that goes by the clever name "Romaniac" (Go figure).
He had something with him that I had long coveted... an E-Pipe. What intrigued me is that this pipe used cartomizers, which made them much more cost effective than previous E-Pipes.

So I dropped a hundred clams, got my pipe... and his eyes lit up and he laughed the deep hearty laugh that comes from the belly... I was his first paying customer :2cool:
He kindly asked that I would write a review, so here it is. It took me long enough but I finally got motivation to write it...

...that being said

**I purchased this pipe for my own personal use. I review this as a paying customer and have recieved no compensations... .blah blah blah zipzapdiggitydoodar---Summary at the bottom if you don't want to listen to me ramble**

The Jazz Carto-Pipe by Romaniac: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Picture22.jpg

Waffle laying down the smooth jazz...

An overview, and some features

This pipe is built under the school of though that "Less is More". I was told when designing this pipe, the overall concept was to make something with as few moving parts and electronics as possible. Solid, easy to repair items, and no frills operation makes this pipe a workhorse and a solid piece of equipment.

Assuming that batteries were a constant, and that atomizers are here to stay, this pipe would conceivably last generations. My grandchildren (determined only through a DNA paternity test.. and this statement is not an admission to having any legal offspring, actual or implied) might actually be able to say, "Thats Grandad's Pipe.. It was always with him, <insert deity here> rest his soul."

The pipe is made from quality materials, and will rival any "real" quality pipe on the market today. My particular model is made from Briarwood. It is elegant, sturdy and feels like a pipe should in my hand. It weighs similar to a pipe with a full bowl of Cavendish.

IMG_0663.jpg

These are not merely bought and refitted pipes. They are custom made for Romaniac, and he personally checks the quality of each pipe and adds the necessary components himself.

Romaniac is/was an avid pipe smoker. And as such he has taken pains to ensure that his pipes hit hard and clean. He succeeded with the Jazz.

The battery is placed in side the bowl, and a small copper "arm" swings over the positive end to keep it in place and create the circuit:

Now, I asked him about a cover for the battery, as my bright red monsters are a bit unsightly. He currently does not have covers available, and not sure if he plans to have them. His reason for this is that: while he wants it to look like a pipe, he wants to be sure that it not confused for a tobacco pipe. This makes some sense to me, although, I think for aesthetics a cover would be nice.

A cover can be made easily enough. Shadow Ryder was nice enough to make me one. Simply a felt disc cut to the diameter of the battery with a center hole ensuring that the arm comes in contact with the positive end. Please read his review as well, I've referenced it at the bottom of this post.

It also sports two little ventholes... each with its own function.
The first, located on the bottom of the bowl, serves the purpose of making sure the vaper doesn't inhale anything from around the battery. I'm not sure how we would test this theory... but its small, supposedly serves a purpose and is not really noticeable unless you are really looking for it.

The second, is located on the stem. This acts as a "carb" that allows the use to restrict airflow if needed. By using your thumb you can create a tighter draw, or occlude it totally. This will help you achieve that monster hit, of you so desire.

The operation is pretty straightforward. The battery goes into the bowl, the arm swings over locking it into place. The button is a very, very, small "bump" attached to the arm.
The stem comes off, the same as any other pipe, and the cartomizer is inserted into the pipe towards the bowl. The stem goes back on, and you are vaping. Easy Peasy...

It will fit a 510 cartomizer or a 306. Both work like a champ... I am using 510 LR.
It can use rcr123's or 18350s.

THE GOOD

IMG_0665.jpg

What can I say.. hell its a PIPE!
I don't have to worry about breaking the bank when it comes time to replace an atty.
It uses cartos, so I don't lose any sleep over frying one... which I can and will do...

[Austinpowers] Atty stomping is my bag, baby! [/Austinpowers]

Pipes are classy, and elegant, and they make even the most unrefined, backwoods hick look like an educated, beneficial, contribution to society.

It hits like a pipe should... even down to the one or two primer puffs if you've been letting it sit for a bit.

It's has that old school "Made in the USA" quality from quality materials...
It was designed with a deep seeded hatred for the "Disposable Society" and will last and last.

It simple and effective.

THE BAD

I just love it when I have little to say in this part of a review.

The only thing I can say is that it has become my everyday vape. It doesn't go hand in hand with stealth vaping, and its bulky in your pocket. But what can you really complain about.. its a pipe.

The button takes some time to break in. Not a long time.. really, maybe two days of use. It is a tiny little thing, and there is no audible click to let you know you've activated it... thats not really a gripe insomuch as I would tend to overpress it at first. My thumb did get a little sore. Oh wah.. poor Waffle and his sore freaking thumb :p

After the learning curve, I am able to use my thumb again, and my hitchiking has resumed without a.. uhm.. hitch.

If your cart leaks, you have to get down there with something to clean it up. The carto sits quite a ways down in the stem, so a Q-tip is required.

THE UGLY

IMG_0666.jpg

Usually I get to complain about the price here, but I really can't.
It cost me $100, and thats not far off from the price of a decent pipe anyhow.

The battery as previously mentioned may be a source of ugliness, but is easily resolved with a homemade cover.

IMG_0667.jpg

Other than that, its beautiful and smooth and feels like a Prom-Queen in my hand.

LEMME SUM UP

1) It vapes like a pipe, it looks like a pipe, it feels like a pipe.
2) It's a solid well made device, it vapes consistently and its DAMN hard to put down.
3) It's simple design keeps it running smoothly, and every hit delivers.
4) Can take 306 cartos, 510 cartos both LR and Stock flavors.
5) Holds 123's or 18350s
6) Solid button that requires some break in, but leaves no fear of accidental firing. Fires evertime.
7) Does not suffer from $100 atty replacement syndrome. And does not have as many trinkety pieces to lose and break as some other pipes on the market, making the $100 price point a steal in my opinion.

It's simplicity and consistency has made this my favorite device for everyday vaping.

This is a pipe I would recommend to my friends and family, and be completely confident that they would walk away happy, and be vaping for years to come.

Thank you for reading this wordy review.. please feel free to visit Shadow Ryders review here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../162320-jazz-pipe-carto-pipe.html#post2677210

Last edited:

Wafflestomper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
I thought I'd do a brief follow up on this review and address some of the questions I've been asked... and also a shameless plug for me review :D

There are just a few minor things that I should clear up since my review.
The pipe I used in my review was kind of a first run "prototype" and since there have been a few tweaks. Romaniac was nice enough to refit my pipe with an upgrade, it is now up to speed with what everyone else will be vaping.

In my original review, I made a comment about the "break in" time of the button. Having refit with a proper button, I am happy to say that is a thing of the past. So I am forced to retract that negative point in my review. The button now is very easy to depress and is very responsive. It never was much of an issue before, but I am VERY happy with the button now.

Also, he swapped out the metal sleeve that the 510 cartomizer screws in to. It now has the standard sleeve that comes with the pipes currently in production. The throat hit in the pipe is much stronger now, and the flavor is much more consistent... thanks for the repair job Alex.

Somehow this had also affected the airflow in the pipe I used for the previous review, the "carb" feature now has more functionality. The pipe hits just fine with an open carb, but I now notice a significant boost if I use the carb for those times I want a more blatant throat hit and plumes of vapor.

Also it has come to my attention that these may be available to the 808 cartomizer users upon request, although I will leave it to Romaniac to verify that.

I do owe Romaniac an apology however. I laughed at him when he told me this pipe would be my daily vape....

congaman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2010
Saint Augustine Florida
I had a 601 pipe a few years ago. It was great for about 3-4 months. Leaking cartos finally got the best of it and it kind of fell apart. glue softend and the wireing went bad. Leaking is the only reason i would not buy another pipe mod. Maybe the newer pipe mods have a sealed connection? I really like the Jazz pipe, very classy, and I'm sure it's well built. I'm just a little reluctant to pull the trigger on one untill I know there are no leaking issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread