the journey to swedish snus to vaping then back to snus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkfastholsters

Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
Chester, VA
I became a member on ECF when I started vaping a few months back. I never even realizes there was a smokeless tobacco forum! Well, I just wanted to share my story from how I found snus then vaping, then went back to snus.

It all started back around april of last year. My wife and I were both smokers and after numerous attempts to quit cold turkey, I had enough and decided to start looking at alternatives. One day after work I stopped by a gas station and instead of buying another pack of smokes, I got some Camel Winterchill snus. I had used camel snus on occasion before but never made it my dedicated nic source. I went though a couple cans of it and a couple other brands (Marlboro and Skoal snus) before I came across a swedish snus forum one day while reading up on my new habit. Swedish snus sounded MUCH better than its American counterparts. Even before I learned that snus users hated how sweet American snus was, I though they were much to sweet. I could deal with camel but both Marlboro and especially Skoal tasted like it was 1 part tobacco to five parts sugar YUCK!! After reading about swedish snus I checked local taboacco stores but none of them had even HEARD of swedish snus and insisted there was no difference between it and the American crap they tried to sell me. I was determined to get ahold of this Swedish goodness so I went online to buy a few cans. Very great prices on the few I was looking at. I added them to cart and proceeded to checkout. I got to the shipping screen and realized that my shipping cost was 3 times what my order subtotal was! WHAT?!?! And this is when I learned about the atrocity known as the PACT act :( luckily in my search for an explanation and possible solution to buying online, I found a link to the General brand snus website and found the "find stores" search. Low and behold, there was a local cigar shop chain that carried General and one was about 20 minutes from me. I made my first trip and bought 4 cans. Original portions, white portion, white portion mint, and white portion wintergreen. The first two made me want to gag immediately! I was a menthol smoker and never liked the full tobacco flavor. I new I liked the camel wintergreen flavor so that was next. It was great! but the pouches kept splitting open in my mouth :( at this point I thought all my hard work was for nothing. I went through the entire wintergreen can (with only about 12 or 14 preforming flawlessly) and finally cracked open the mint expecting the same results but I was pleased when I made it through 24 pouches without the first split pouch. I WAS HOOKED! I used Snus for about 3 or 4 months but then decided to see if I could quit nicotine all together.
Fast forward to February of this year. Ive been nicotine free since about September. WOOHOO! All the while, one of my best friends is heavy into vaping. Buying and collecting PVs and going through 30ml bottles of juice in 2 or 3 days. Whenever we went over he had something new and my wife started getting curious. She was tired of smoking and wanted an alternative. She got an eRoll starter kit and I, with the intention of using only 0 nic e-liquid, bought one also because I loved the wide variety of flavors. She was hooked instantly with her 12mg juice and I was disappointed with my 0mg juice. I wanted a throat hit:unsure:. I caved and bought some 6mg juice but that wasnt good enough either so I tried 12mg and it hit the spot. Well, im hooked on nicotine again...great. We enjoyed vaping though and knew the health risks were extremely low. We quickly upgraded from the eRoll to eGo batts and vivi novas to big batt PVs with carto tanks and dripping attys and all that. Even attended some local vape meets and had a grand time. About a month ago my wife was out and about when her battery died and she had forgotten to take her spare 18350. She caved and smoked a stink stick that her friend gave her. I was disappointed but understood. We continued to vape but my wife gradually became a victim to the convenience and lack of maintance of cigarettes while I continued to vape. At this point, my wife is back to smoking regularly again (bummer). The friend I mentioned earlier who was my only vaping buddy took a job out of town working 4 or 5 days a week and only coming home for a few days. His vaping subsided greatly because being in construction, he didnt want to take his 500+ dollar PVs out to the field and risk breaking them. He went back to smoking while at work and vaping at home. This only lasted a short amount of time before he too fell victim to the convenience and switched back to smokes. The cheese stands alone...Now I am the only one out of all my friends who vape outside of my brother in law who uses solely as a nic delivery system rather than the hobby that myself and my wife had turned it into. As the flames died down, I became less interested in finding new flavors and my current all day vapes were growing old. I tried rekindling the fire by visting my local vape shop (that just so happens to have opened about a month after we started vaping) and trying some new flavors. It just didnt do it. At this point I looked back on my last few months of vaping and pondered all of the malfunctions, defective units, time spent cleaning,etc, and thought "wow, this is a lot of work". I decided this past weekend to go back to snus. I fought myself over it but I finally made the decision. I wanted take another look at finding swedish snus online but came up with the same outrageous shipping everywhere I went. I did a store locator search on Generals website to see if any new locations had been added and to my surprise, the Sheetz gas station chains in my area were stocking General nordic mint!!! My first thought was no more hour long round trips to the cigar shop to get my General fix! I went to the store and got a can of nordic mint (cool name) and was kind of disappointed when he handed it to me in a rectangular shaped can and saw that it only has 12 portions!! Im used to General white portions having 24 :(. I also prefer the round shape to the rectangular but thats just preference and doesnt affect taste obviously. The portions are longer than the white portions and while they taste good they are much sweeter than my old friend General white portion. Well, Im back on the snus bus for now. We will see if its a long trip or a short one before I decide to kick the habit again. One things for sure...I need to sell this vaping stuff to try to recoup some loss :/ off to the classifieds!

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Unfortunately I think your journey and that of your wife and friend is not all that uncommon. No doubt vaping works for many people but what you don't hear about are the ones for whom it doesn't work. If you hang out on the forums and watch video reviews all day you might start thinking vaping is a sure thing, if you can just get the damn things to work. Reality is likely a bit different. The failures don't show up on ECF or do video reviews. The high success rates given out as facts by many are not likely to hold up in the real world. After the new shiny toy thing wares off and the months and years go by the whole thing can start becoming a PITA.

I have no doubt if it wasn't for snus I would still by lighting tobacco on fire.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I've seen quite a few people come and go in the time I've been on this forum. I assume that most that stop posting have either gone back to smoking or quit everything completely. I've also seen many that are gung ho on vaping for the first two or three months of only vaping until the minor alkaloids work their way out of their system and then they are crying out for help. I've sent snus samples to some that were struggling.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Unfortunately vaping has its limitations just like every other alternative to smoking. What works great for some, works dismally for others and just marginally for some. I spent so much time and money those first six months trying to find that magic vape. Had it not been for people like TB, TV, Hitt and Stubby, I have no doubt I would have returned to smoking.

I am perfectly content using snus regularly and vaping occasionally and have eliminated the desire to light up in all but the occasional moments when nothing seems to keep the demons away. Then I'll increase everything and add some snuff to the mix. I know within a day or two I'll be leveled out.

If I's ever figure out away of eliminating it all, I probably would. That being said, I don't see that happening.

thinkfastholsters

Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Chester, VA
    Yea the first 2 or 3 months were definitely the "shiny toy" phase for us. I dont think it was so much the fact that it got my wife off smoking as it was the fact that she could get pink stuff for her PV and in her words "be cute while she vapes" haha. after that initial couple of months she started losing interest because we would find a juice that we liked, go through 30+ mls of it in a short amount of time and get burnt out on it then we had to start the hunt all over again and that was probably the first thing that made her lose interest. I love snus. The only reason I stopped the first time was because my gums would start bleeding for what appeared to be no good reason. I stopped using it cold turkey and had no issues. Completely nic free and was fine. I have always had sensitive gums and even after I quit they would bleed occasionally. I dont think snus was to blame for it in all, I just think having it rub my gums made it more frequent. None the less, I was kind of disappointed with myself when I started vaping because I was completely nic free prior and it was a great feeling when I could tell people "i dont drink, do drugs, or use tobacco" Its even worse because I didnt have an urge to start vaping other than to experience the flavors! haha. Oh well, it could be worse. I could be lighting up stink sticks again. I just hate trying to convince people how much better snus is than smoking or dipping. Everyone else just thinks its a clean way to use dip or chew. yuck. Ive only been back on the snus bus for a few days so we shall see how long I stick with it.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Bleeding gums is pretty standard after getting off cigarettes. That was the one negative I got when I quit smoking. Coughing and wheezing disappeared in the first couple weeks. Then about a month in, my gums were bleeding bad. From what the dentist told me, smoking does a pretty good job of constricting the blood vessels in the gums. Quitting opens them all up and making a mess for awhile.
    As I recall, it was really bad for 2-3 weeks and within a month and a half, all gone.

thinkfastholsters

Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Chester, VA
    My bleeding gums probably stems from a childhood of horrible dental hygeine as it started when I was an early teenager. quiting smokes probably didnt help. come to mention it, my dental hygeine to this day probably isnt the best :unsure: I should probably go to the dentist since I havent been in about 7 or more years. oops.

Onto a lighter subject! I stopped by the gas station last night tat just started carrying General nordic mint and it turns out they carry my old favorite white portion mint too!!! to top it off, they are only 99 cents a can!!! Im assuming some sort of promo. I bought a roll for just over $5. It was like finding a 52 inch flat screen for $300 on black friday haha. I shoulda bought more but my bank account told me not too. 5 cans will last me at least a week and a half if not longer so im good. i REALLY want to get my hands on some Offroad coola and Thunder berry but I cant justify the shipping.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    A fair warning to you, they'll get you now or they'll get you later. A friend of mine didn't pay attention to dental care .

he started having major issues around the time he turned 50. Pulled teeth, implants and dentures later he had something like $60-80K tied up in his mouth. I went 3 or 4 years not paying attention and now I have quarterly visits rather than semi-annual. The teeth have improved greatly after I quit smoking, but I still have to work at keepingg the bone surrounding the teeth intact.

pwillco

Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    I also noticed the General Wintergreen snus breaking open pretty often. Maybe they altered the pouch material for that flavor, or the ingredients are rougher on the pouch for some reason.

I quit smoking 6 weeks ago. I'm new to snus after using the e-cig for a few weeks, been using snus for about three weeks. I am glad General's is available locally! I've been able to find all 8 varieties. The only problem is they are typically past the best before date, but still good. They had $0.99 sale at several locations for a little while, and already wishing I had stocked up more, but oh well. Otherwise, even at full price it's still dam cheap. The highest price for General snus around here I've found is $3.99 at one shop, $3.49 at most other stores for the 24 portion cans, and $2.49 - $2.99 for the 12 portion Nordic and Classic blends. I also use coupons whenever I get them.

I'm surprised I am mostly using snus at this point, and not using the vaporizer very much. I've only been vaping very sporadically at this point, but we'll see where it goes. As long as I continue not to feel the desire to have a cigarette, it';s a good thing. I realized after quitting smoking, I really didn;t enjoy smoking, so simulating the experience with vaping has turned out not to be as important as I once thought. I was just chained to the cigarettes. Even though I was a half pack a day guy, that's still over a carton a month, American Spirits mostly, but sometime Camels or Parliaments. Glad to be done with those .......ers, good riddance. Plus, they taste terrible now, thanks to the tobacco e-juice flavors, and snus.

I only found out about snus after spending time reading these forums. The snus companies need to get more promotions out to convert people, especially the General brand, so when I go to buy it, the cans are not out of date! If I had tried this stuff 5 - 10 years ago, I would have quit smoking much, much earlier. Right now, I am content with using the General brand, and figuring out how much snus I really need to use, and how many cans I go though in a week. I may order from the Swedes directly at some point, but convenience trumps variety of brands at this point.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread