The Lea and its power safety issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

daisygirlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2012
SE Ohio
I'd like to mention quickly that I'm a Lea owner and lover and that's not going to change, but I felt this issue deserved more attention here on the Leo board:

This is *serious* so please read:

The Leas' power can get stuck on - like you're holding down the button - one rare occasions while you're using it. It's happened to me twice now. I'll take a puff and let go of the button, but the power doesn't cut off. Simply taking another puff on the carto/drip tip/cart stops it... but what if you don't notice and set it down for a few mins between puffs? This glitch happens while you're actively using the Lea, it doesn't happen when it's been clicked into off mode. I haven't let it go to see if it cuts itself off, I immediately take a puff to stop it because I don't want to risk my safety, nor should anyone else! This is a known issue, but not widely spread knowledge. Pbusardo (sorry, I know I just butchered his name) talks about the issue in his Youtube review.

Hopefully they'll get this fixed, but they've been out for a while and my Barbara Red one does it. I just ordered my second Lea, so obviously I'm more alert while using it, but it wasn't enough that I'll stop using them.

If I have the problem with the Pearl White one I just ordered, I'll post about it. Again, this is a known issue, but a rare occurrence - not enough, in my mind, to warrant not purchasing, just something to be very aware of. This is also NOT a vendor specific issue - it can happen with Lea's ordered from any store, not just one single place, just to clear that up as well.

daisy

DragonXIII

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
North Alabama
www.myclassicvw.com
I noticed a similar but not as serious issue with my LEO battery.
The standard LEO Sealed PT (Not the one with the power off feature) has a rubber button.
On a rare occasion one edge the button can hang under the metal case hole the button protrudes through when pressed or pushed at forward angle.
But it has an "auto time out" feature that shuts it off after 10 - 15 seconds.
However after it has shut itself off, the next time you go to press the button and it is still hung under the case hole, it won't light up until you flick the button out from under the edge of the hole.

This kind of caught me off guard one time and I thought the battery was completely dead and needed charging.
(It won't light up or even flash the LED when it is completely discharged.)

Like I said, it is not as serious as the LEA issue described above, but I thought it worth noting.

In Pbusardo's review of the LEA he talks about the battery at 7 minutes in. A PBusardo Review - The Lea E-Cigarette from Innokin - YouTube

I Love My LEO
Steve J

Last edited:

daisygirlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2012
SE Ohio
Leo and Lea updates:

Leo:
You know, I had that happen to me once and didn't realize that that was what had happened, but thinking back, I used my fingernail to kind of pop the rubber button free so that's what it must have been!

Lea:
As far as the Lea power thing goes, it's happened quite a few times now on my Kross and at least once on my Lea800 - still not enough to freak me out, especially now that I know (because I hadn't noticed it happening until right when it cut itself off) that it *will* cut off with the system cutoff at 12 seconds. The only time this is going to be a major issue is if your cart/carto/drops are low and the heat burns something out. The time I noticed it was while dripping when I started smelling something funny (I hadn't de-wicked a 306lr yet) and it was the wick frying. I de-wicked it and it's fine, but that was where I got I bit more conscious of the power issue. This is one reason I'm OK with de-wicking - but never de-bridging...the idea that a red-hot coil could come into contact with something is sort of advanced dripping 101 and no matter what unit you use, if you remove that bridge, be aware *always* of the state of your battery and where you put your unit down!

I guess the big thing here is watch your batteries, and if you're really worried, contact your vendor and find out if they'll replace it :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread