The long road to vaping - sorting through the (overwhelming) information

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAP8

Aug 4, 2014
Beijing
I imagine it is the same for everyone who gets into vaping on his own.
I had a very hard time sorting out the information available on the web, the different products, the different juices and all the terminology / abbreviations used. I was at it for hours during a few weeks.
I was looking for an easy recommendation to start off, and at the same time trying to make sure I wasn't compromising on anything, taste included.
mods, atomizers, carthomizers, clearomizers, RBAs, RDAs, mechanicals, VVs etc....... made it hell! :)

The first videos I watched were really awkward, couldn't understand anything that was talked about...

I believe the vaping world could do without the different names for atomizers and just stick to model name and type (Rebuildable or not), the mods should indicate whether regulated or not, and calling a battery operated thingy a 'mechanical' is weird.

Finding out that most mods and atomizers connection were 510 and compatible was not easy... I had to guess that, buy and try the fit.

I hope there can be an easier access to future newbies, or if there is one, do tell where~ so that I direct people there.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome!

Here is the post I often make for someone new to vaping:

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping and/or looking to upgrade.

1. A Good Starter's Setup for a Beginning Vapor
2. Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods
3. Proper terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments.
4. Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

And here are a few more on "vaping terminology".

1. A – Z E-Cig Glossary
2. e-Cigarette Jargon and Terms – eCig 101
3. Vaping Glossary - what does it all mean?
4. ECF Abbreviations 101

#4 is very handy when trying to decipher ECF members slang.

isademigod

Aug 8, 2014
Virginia
it looks like susan just about covered it, but here's some advice: if youre just getting into it, go right into the complicated stuff. I paid $50 for a ce4 (the basicest of the basic) starter kit and its the same price for a whole clone setup.
if you want to start small get a vision spinner and a protank, but the best vaping experience ive had is with a kayfun clone and a mech mod, and all that stuff is pretty easy. all you need to know is how to wrap a wire around a paperclip, and rip trippers on youtube will teach you that.
dont waste your time with crappy ecigs like I did

VAP8

Aug 4, 2014
Beijing
Thanks all!
Susan, your post is where I'll direct people to, I am getting a lot of Chinese followers, these days, funny no? :)
isademigod, we probably took the same road, CE4 to Kayfun clones, and no regrets here for having started off with a CE4 and vision spinner, I still use it for portability and discretion, where the Kayfun set-ups would be too heavy and attention grabbing~
Taste wise, the Kayfuns are the best experience, as you say, however some juices do work better on the CE4 than the Kayfuns, even though the reverse is more often the case.
I also like hanging the CE4 style e-cig between my teeth (pipe smoking style) when I need my hands.

mitchs2281

Mar 18, 2013
INDIANA. usa
First and foremost. All the information you read is subjective. A great beginner for me was the e-go c twist. It has variable voltage and very easy to use. The best thing for me was to go to a local vape shop and ask questions. Now the juice is widely subjective. Samples are the best route to take. Just because a juice has 400+ good reviews doesn't mean you are going to love it. There might be a juice that has 2 out of 5 stars and that could be an ADV ( All Day Vape) for you. I went to the spinfuel website and picked half a dozen from there and got samples from a bunch of different ones. Its what worked for me. Vape ON!!!

TamiP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
thevapevine.blogspot.com
It's very easy to get overwhelmed. What makes it worse is that there are so many replacement parts that each only fit their own kind. Don't worry too much about all of it, and trying to be an expert overnight. Take a deep breath, buy a good starter kit, learn the ins and outs slowly and you'll find yourself more and more comfortable with it at every step.

I know a lot of new vapers like to 'take the plunge' right away and buy the very best of everything. The theory behind it seems reasonable... get the best you can afford and you won't have to spend the money to move up through the ranks, you are starting with the top of the line equipment. Sounds smart, but there is a price to that. More advanced 'stuff' has a more advanced learning curve. It takes time to really understand it all, and getting too far ahead of yourself can result in frustrations and dissatisfaction. This is a great place to get lots of help, but don't overwhelm yourself.

Personally, I think all new vapers should start with a good ego and quality clearo, and move up from there once they have had a chance to explore the world of vaping. The ego will always be useful as a 'run about' vape even when you get more advanced equipment, so it's not a waste of money, and it is a tried and true battery that is easy to use.

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
I agree 110% with TamiP. I started off with an Ego Kanger EVOD kit. Stayed with same battery, and moved to Kanger Protank 2's. Then I moved to rebuilding those coils. After a couple of months I moved to trying cartomizers and carto tanks. Found those werent for me and back to the Protank's. Then I started investing in lower end MODS like a Vamo V5 and some Innokin devices like the VTR and SVD. This was months down the road from starting, and learning a great deal about battery safety and practiced with safe coil builds. I recently, (8 months after starting), have moved to higher end MOD's such as a Sigelei 20 watt and building Kayfun's. Now I am on the hunt researching dripping atomizers. The point is, go as fast as YOU are comfortable. If you find going whole hog is your speed, that's great, but feel the need to move on to other things if you find something that works for you. Many, i repeat many of us enjoy this as a hobby. Even those who have started vaping to stop smoking, enjoy the hobby. We take things further than some, but for you it may not be necessary. And final thought's, don't get hung up on cloud chasing,(super low resistance builds with wattage settings). You may find yourself there one day, but enjoy the journey to get there.

VAP8

Aug 4, 2014
Beijing
First and foremost. All the information you read is subjective. A great beginner for me was the e-go c twist. It has variable voltage and very easy to use. The best thing for me was to go to a local vape shop and ask questions. Now the juice is widely subjective. Samples are the best route to take. Just because a juice has 400+ good reviews doesn't mean you are going to love it. There might be a juice that has 2 out of 5 stars and that could be an ADV ( All Day Vape) for you. I went to the spinfuel website and picked half a dozen from there and got samples from a bunch of different ones. Its what worked for me. Vape ON!!!

mitchs,
I did start with an ego twist type (Vision spinner) + CE4, and funny enough there aren't vape shops to walk into and ask questions in China. This is a pain particularly for trying out juices. Only suppliers of local (Chinese) juices will offer samples to try out, not those of imported juice (USA, UK etc juices).

VAP8

Aug 4, 2014
Beijing
TamiP & Keeferes, I am taking the path your advice dictates, maybe a little faster and over ambitiously. Taste and consistency is more to me than clouding, and indeed rebuilding and vaping has become a hobby, a very rewarding one. All the talk about how RBA's taste way better than disposables is what pushed me to go faster in the research and experimenting. I remember my first coils and wicks... a mess... dry hits, burn taste and all, and it all got sorted out in a week, with my fingers smelling of juice for another few days after that! :D)) well all worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread