The Low Down on Vapor in the Lungs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejuiceconnoisseur

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2013
Melbourne, FL
[h=2]The Low Down on Vapor in the Lungs[/h] Filed under: Vaping Health Evidence — 16 Comments
December 24, 2013

Once again we find ourselves listening to the same, tired, repetitive tripe vomiting violently out of the mouths of ANTZ (Anti-Nicotine and tobacco Zealots). It generally goes something like this, “There still haven’t been any serious studies on the health effects of electronic cigarettes.” This statement has been repeated like a broken record, like a broken record, like a broken record, like a… ehem… for about seven years now. The actual level of ignorance present in this asinine statement, backed by all of the intimidating power of ulterior motives and corrupt special interests, is tantamount to me telling everyone I come across, in a self-assured, arrogant tone of voice, that nobody really knows yet whether or not Penicillin is effective. The actual, real truth behind this phenomenon is that there have been more scientific studies, laboratory analyses, surveys, and medical professional opinion journal writings than you can shake a stick at. On the flip side, however, there was once a single study, of a single (disposable, gas-station-purchased) electronic cigarette that uncovered trace amounts of ethylene glycol which (in much larger amounts) is toxic to human beings. These trace amounts of ethylene glycol were due to the usage of polyethylene glycol, which has since been replaced by the completely safe propylene glycol.

And now to answer those nay-sayers who are reading this saying, “Oh, yeah… Prove it!” First, let’s discuss the CDC’s (Center for Disease Control) study from 1994 regarding the use of various glycols in theatrical fog, used repeatedly in productions on Broadway (and elsewhere of course) to the point where actors began to worry about the effects of the fog on their respiratory function. Their fears, however, were put to rest when studies revealed that, outside of a mild drying of the mucus membranes, a constant exposure to theatrical fog (over many years) resulted in zero negative health effects.

Next, we have a recent (February of this year; 2013) study by FAME laboratories in Thessaly, Greece. This particular study was designed to research the effects (if any) of e-cigarette vapor on human lung functioning. The test was done with both smokers and non-smokers and studied the effects of first-hand and second-hand smoke and vapor. The results of this test? vaping causes much smaller, or non-existent changes in lung functioning than does smoking. Second-hand vaping is completely harmless, and also results in such a small intake of nicotine that it is barely worth mentioning... (Click here to read the rest of my article.)

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
Thanks for this. It's going to be a long, hard fight - even if it's proven without a doubt, they'll find something else to use as a scapegoat to shut it all down in favor of Big Tobacco - I recently had a discussion with someone I know, who is normally on my .... about quitting smoking. We went through all of the propaganda out there, and after I defeated it all, she went to the "how do you KNOW what's in the flavoring? It HAS to be bad for you!" She was trying to find anything to put down vaping. It's very disappointing to run into that kind of mental brick wall - they just don't want to hear it - I guess that whole mindset of "You're still using nicotine and acting like you smoke, so it's BAD" is very ingrained into people's minds.

I know how rough it can be, when I dropped sugar and refined flour from my diet years ago, rational, intelligent people could not get over that I wasn't eating it, and just would not move off the "I just have to think it's bad for you", even though there's no scientific proof that the human body needs flour or sugar to thrive. Most of that comes from the propaganda of the FDA and the government's"food pyramid", which is wholly a product of the grain industry - and the whole "balanced" diet was thrown at me quite a bit, too. I'm sorry, but a bagel is not necessary for survival (I was confronted one day, over why I didn't take any of the free bagels and birthday cake at work).

So, I'll have to do what I did with that issue - stick to my guns, continue to do this, and THRIVE. Good health and positive results are the only truth you need. If I had listened to the nay sayers over flour and sugar, I'd still have weight and health issues - I was right, and vindicated, but I simply didn't discuss it anymore. Except for the one time a coworker came to my cubicle, after I'd been losing weight, working out, and feeling INCREDIBLE from not eating sugar and flour, and she burst into tears because she insisted I was abusing myself. The mind boggles. How do you deal with that? I just gently tried to tell her I knew what I was doing, and not to worry - and I didn't hide what I was doing.

Just some thoughts. This is an uphill battle, and you have to be ready for people confronting you with the most bizarre things, when you know how good it is because you can feel it yourself. Be proud that you're not smoking anymore! Let the haters worry and wring their hands at someone else. Stick to your guns! SHOW people that's it's safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread