The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

The MCM (Man Cave Mods) DNA20 Review

Discussion in 'E-Cigarette APV Reviews' started by 6spdsurfer, Feb 12, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. 6spdsurfer

6spdsurfer Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 11, 2012
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Hello everyone,

So I'm relatively new to mod reviews and I figured I'd make my first post something of substance, a DNA20 box mod review. This is a wooden box mod that is made by a ECF user named matador (aka. Matt) that I purchased directly from him. It takes a 18650 battery, however he does make mods that take everything from an 18350 to dual 18650s and in a myriad of different exotic woods. The one that I have and will be reviewing is made of macacauba wood and takes a single 18650. Ok, so let's get into it:

[​IMG]

First off, right out of the mail the wood is absolutely beautiful. The color, the finish, all top notch. I did notice some nicks, but for a homemade box mod, it's not something that is wouldn't expect and it wasn't anything that takes away from the mod. The tolerances between the top and bottom "caps" are extremely tight and they sit pretty much flush. The 510 connector sits perfectly on top with what you would expect of any high quality mod.

[​IMG]

The button is a metal with no clicky-ness to it, but coming from someone who normally likes a really positive assurance of a button press, it really didn't bother me at all and actually came to enjoy it quite a bit. It's a really solid button construction with little to no play and takes a good press to get it to fire which is good for when you throw it in your pocket. The + and - buttons are small plastic buttons placed right on the front of the mod under the screen and give a great positive click when pressed. The only issue I've had with the button is every once in a while after about three quick presses and drags it goes into lock. From what I'm assuming that is due to a mis-read on the board thinking it was 5 quick presses and is not a huge deal as it only happen occasionally.

[​IMG]

The weight is absolutely perfect. Hefty enough to to feel substantial but not too heavy to be carried around all day. Compared to a zmax, the MCM seems to weigh much less and definitely lends itself to being sat upright on a table, which is absolutely wonderful when it comes to running it with any RBA setup.

[​IMG]

The screen placement is perfect and is easy to read. It is covered with what feels like a clear coating of a hard-setting epoxy with no play. It does sit pretty recessed, however that does not hinder the ability to read the screen and does feel like it gives it great protection. The screen and features are not something I'll cover too far in depth as it is your standard DNA20 setup with variable wattage.

[​IMG]

The inside is exactly what you'd expect from a homemade mod. I think Matt did a great job of wire management and fitting everything inside this little mod. Considering he packed a chip that can run 20 watts and an 18650 into such a little mod is pretty amazing and when you top it with a gorgeous wooden exterior it becomes something amazing.

The only real issue I have had with it is the bottom part started to come unglued when I first got it. I contacted Matt and he got right back with me letting me know to send it right back and offered to pay the shipping back. As unfortunate as it was, as it had quickly become one of my favorite vapes, he sent it back very quickly with everything fixed.

Finally, the price. For the 18650 mod, I paid $155 with shipping included, which I though was quite reasonable for what I was getting. All in all, this is the mod that I keep reaching for, and has become what I carry around with me everywhere. I can definitely recommend people looking into this small mod maker with what he his building now, and what he has in store for the future. If you'd like to see more of his creations, or pick one up for yourself, check out the ManCaveMods subforum on ECF and check in often!

6spd

2. zell666hell

zell666hell Full Member Verified Member

3. 6spdsurfer

Jul 11, 2012
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Thanks! Matt has crafted an absolutely amazing mod. This has been back and forth with me to work and is now what I reach for every time. Absolutely no complaints right now!

4. Koman

Koman Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2010
    lv
    Love the wooden finish, Surfer!

5. Davad70

Davad70 Unregistered Supplier

Feb 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Very nice! Jealous!

6. 6spdsurfer

Jul 11, 2012
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Loved it so much have another one on the way! One of the only mods I can fully say is worth everyone's hard earned money.

7. lunchb0x47

lunchb0x47 Full Member

Sep 10, 2012
    ontario
    Very slick little mod.

8. EFBEEDUB

EFBEEDUB Full Member Verified Member

Jan 26, 2013
    New york
    Nice mod definitely like the wood finish

9. Jimmy Batts

Jimmy Batts Full Member

May 20, 2013
    Raleigh NC
    I think one of these would compliment my EVIC well when the funds allow. Nice rig!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.