Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Don't worry, this won't last long....
I thought I would try a thread for extracted tobacco flavors for those of us who prefer a milder, smoother flavor.
Not that there is anything wrong about stronger flavors. If you enjoy a stout English blend that has Latakia at the forefront, have at it !
This thread is for those of us who are not looking to "put hair on your chest" or "make a man out of you". This thread is for those of us who simply enjoy mild tobacco flavors.
Links and reviews are welcome.
And as I said before, this won't last long ...

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/p/decatur-black-cherry-pipe-tobacco/1496709/#p-190004

I will start with one of my truly favorite extracted flavors, Decatur Black Cherry.
Those who enjoy a cherry tobacco should at least give this one a try.
Virginia, Burley and Black Cavendish flavored with Black Cherry. There is a light sweetness that could come from the Vanilla and Honey that is added.
I have given both extract and pre-mixed e-liquids of this flavor, and the recipients have always asked for more.
Cold macerated for two months, filtered, and mixed at 10- 15%, this flavor compares equally to Legend (Gandalf) from HHV, or just about any of the cherry tobacco flavors that were once offered by the now defunct MyVaporJuice.com.

• Informative
Reactions: madstabber

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I recently did a device trade and the other party included a 10ml sample of an NET juice. Quite subtle at the percentage he used but once my buds 'discovered' the flavor and feel I'm really enjoying it. He mixed at 6% and my requirement was 60vg/40pg 24mg FB.
American Virginian

I am enjoying it immensely but still up in the air about whether or not to order more myself. I'm concerned about what I've heard about NETs being coil gunkers.
My twisting, winding and cotton stuffing days are behind me. I've become one of those dreaded POD PEOPLE! If the 10ml I've got doesn't destroy the pod I've got it in I may order and mix some more.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I am enjoying it immensely but still up in the air about whether or not to order more myself. I'm concerned about what I've heard about NETs being coil gunkers.
My twisting, winding and cotton stuffing days are behind me. I've become one of those dreaded POD PEOPLE! If the 10ml I've got doesn't destroy the pod I've got it in I may order and mix some more.

NET flavored e-liquids can be gunky, but that depends on the extraction and filtration process.
Heated OEA (Organic Ethyl Alcohol) extractions can be cleaner than Cold Maceration, and professional lab equipment that includes vacuum-assisted filtration will easily produce cleaner liquids.
But sooner or later, the coils and wicks will need cleaning and/ or replacement.
Not familiar with POD systems, but if there is a way to clean the atomizer you might consider doing so.

• Informative
Reactions: Foggy Road

Upinsmoke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2017
Suffolk UK
I wondered if anyone had tried
Wax Liquidizer.
It is a blend of propylene glycols PG PG200 PG400 etc.
It's primarily used by the herbal crowd to make vape juices from herbal concentrate .
I presume the gunking we get is the oils from the tobacco plant.
This product makes oils soluble in PG.
I find I can't tale the PG it makes me cough.
If you have no problems with PG give it a go.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I wondered if anyone had tried
Wax Liquidizer.
It is a blend of propylene glycols PG PG200 PG400 etc.
It's primarily used by the herbal crowd to make vape juices from herbal concentrate .
I presume the gunking we get is the oils from the tobacco plant.
This product makes oils soluble in PG.
I find I can't tale the PG it makes me cough.
If you have no problems with PG give it a go.

Sugars, even natural sugars like in the Virginia Tobacco, cause gunking. Any flavorings can also cause deposits, like vanilla, cherry, chocolate, etc. And filtering properly does help.
I use an aero press for filtering. A fine wire mesh filter topped by filter paper to start, then 2 micron paper cut to size tops the wire mesh for a second pass. I still get some residue, but not as much as gravity filtering through lab paper, which can take an hour or more and is nowhere near as effective.
If PG is a problem, maybe an old-timer can correct me, but I think back in the days those who are PG intolerant would use VG e-liquids, and add maybe 10% distilled water to thin them down.

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) Winter 2017.
Mixed at 10% (30/70 PG/VG @10mg Nic) February 2018

If anyone is looking for a super-sweet NET for a Holiday treat, might I suggest Sutliff Molto Dolce.
Your standard sweet Virginia, mild Burley and Black Cavendish blend is flavored with Vanilla, Caramel and Honey. The end result is a nearly candy flavored NET. More than one NEThead has tried this blend, and initially loved it, only to move away from it later. It is that sweet.
I personally will occasionally use a two coil RBA (Atomic) with only one coil for this selection. The extra airflow helps to smooth down some of the overpowering sweet flavor. Then, other times, I will block the opposite hole just to get an 'after dinner' sweet vape. But it is too sweet for an All-Day Vape for me personally.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Looks like I am talking to myself. Oh well, isn't the first time (probably not the last either...)

Peter Stokkebye 84 Turkish - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) - winter of 2016
Mixed at 15% (70/30 PG/VG @10mg Nic) Feb 2018

This is easily one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the extract is gone and the e-liquid is nearly gone. I will have to order some more. Soon, as in maybe this week !
Turkish Samsoun and Virginia tobaccos are blended together for a light, smooth and modestly sweet natural flavor. Because there are no added flavorings (cherry, vanilla, etc.) this extract is exceptionally clean. So clean I can bypass the REOS Grand/ RM2 and load this into a Vandy Vape Berserker RTA on an Eleaf Invoke. Yes, it is clean enough for a tank, and Temp Control. Unlike flavored tobaccos, which I normally mix around 10%, I can up this selection to 15% to get a fuller, more satisfying vape without worrying about coils/ wicks. I am currently vaping this mix on a stainless steel coil at 380*F, and it is purely delightful.
This one is worth a try, no matter what your NET preferences may be !

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Since someone is listening ...

Orlik Golden Sliced - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) winter of 2016
Mixed at 16% (30/70 PG/VG @10mg Nic) spring of 2016

In all fairness, this is not one of my all-time favorites, but there are others who enjoy this one.
Very Sweet Virginia tobacco is pressed into a 'kake', then sliced thin. The description calls a slight amount of Perique added, though I never picked up on that. There is a definite "earthy" (I would say "grassy") flavor to this selection. Quite similar to the "earthy" tone of HHV's 'Huntsman', which I am not a fan of. But there are those who enjoy this flavor, and the reviews at P&C are quite favorable. It is a flavor that many vapers have enjoyed for years.
If you are looking for a super sweet, mild flavor with a touch of "earthy" undertone, this is one to try.

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Scotty's Bulk Blends - Honey & Chocolate - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) winter 2016
Mixed at 10% (30/70 PG/VG @10mg Nic) Feb 2018

This was made to simulate MacBaron's flavor. For Vapers, it has a similar flavor profile as HHV's Dragon's Fire.
As typical with 'flavored' tobaccos, this blend starts with sweet Virginia, mild Burley, and Black Cavendish. Then a chocolate note is added, and sweetened with honey. I personally enjoy this rich, sweet concoction. The reviews at P&C are mixed, but I would encourage NET hunters to at least give this one a try.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I am reading along and I am reading. I am interested in starting to extract myself. Since I know nothing, I can't contribute anything constructive except my encouragement to keep typing, Papaw.

Looks like I am talking to myself. Oh well, isn't the first time (probably not the last either...)

This is easily one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the extract is gone and the e-liquid is nearly gone. I will have to order some more. Soon, as in maybe this week !
Turkish Samsoun and Virginia tobaccos are blended together for a light, smooth and modestly sweet natural flavor. Because there are no added flavorings (cherry, vanilla, etc.) this extract is exceptionally clean. So clean I can bypass the REOS Grand/ RM2 and load this into a Vandy Vape Berserker RTA on an Eleaf Invoke. Yes, it is clean enough for a tank, and Temp Control. Unlike flavored tobaccos, which I normally mix around 10%, I can up this selection to 15% to get a fuller, more satisfying vape without worrying about coils/ wicks. I am currently vaping this mix on a stainless steel coil at 380*F, and it is purely delightful.

Reactions: PapawBrett

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I am reading along and I am reading. I am interested in starting to extract myself. Since I know nothing, I can't contribute anything constructive except my encouragement to keep typing, Papaw.

just a few thought based on my relative (in)experience with extracting tobacco...
You will notice form my posts that I use Cold Maceration for an extraction process. Because of my busy lifestyle (career trucker) this is the easiest process for me. Also, somewhere along the line Mamaw apparently had a bad experience with a pressure cooker, and will not allow one in her kitchen. My yard, my house (repair), my autos (maintenance), HER kitchen.... (considering how well she cooks, not complaining)
But it takes about three months from start to finish. Here goes...
1) Ordering. There is such a thing as a Tobacco Beetle. It lays it's eggs (larva) inside the tobacco leaves. Cigarette tobacco is sprayed with pesticide (and preservatives) to kill the tobacco beetle larvae. Most Fine Cigars and Pipe Tobaccos are not treated this way. This is why cigars and pipe tobaccos are kept and sold in Humidors, controlled environments that keep the temperature and humidity below 70. As long as the temperature does not reach the mid-70's, the tobacco beetle larvae cannot mature and hatch.
This is why I order my tobaccos in the Dead of Winter - so the product stays cool during transportation through the mail system. Overkill ? Maybe, but I want a pure, enjoyable taste from my NETs. I tend to order 1 ounce bulk selections, because it is easier for my process.
2) Maceration. Using 1/2 pint Mason Jars, I insert 1 ounce of tobacco, and fill to the top with PG. The jars are then placed in a dark, cool place (top shelf, bedroom closet). They will remain there for eight weeks. Sometimes I might check them after two or three weeks to see if absorption by the tobacco has lowered the PG level, and top off. Some who are PG intolerant may need to use a different extraction method, such as discussed by @Str8vision in his thread ;
Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol
3) Perhaps the most critical step in making your own NET flavors. Poor filtration can produce e-liquids that are called 'gunky', and can wreck coils almost immediately. Take care in selecting your filtration equipment, and don't be afraid to ask question around this sub-forum.
I personally use an Aero Press, designed for coffee filtering.
AeroPress Coffee Maker | AeroPress
and filter paper from the Lab Depot. I order the 12.5 cm size, as I can cut two filters to fit the Aero Press from each filter.
Quantitative : TLD™ Grade 42 Quantitative Filter Paper, Ashless
Using a typical wire mesh kitchen strainer and a 1 Pint Mason jar, I carefully pour the extracted PG through the strainer and into the pint jar. I used to worry about getting each and every drop that I could, but I have learned I can always make more. Now I just try to get a clean strain, and throw away the tobacco.
The bottom of the Aero Press fits nicely on top of a Pint Mason Jar. Using the filter paper that came with the Aero Press, I position the press on top of a clean Pint jar, pour the extract in, and SLOWLY apply pressure, checking to make sure the extract is flowing though the paper filter and not around it. This takes several minutes.
Then I carefully cut the Lab Filter Paper to match the size of the Aero Press, and filter a second time with the Quantitive paper filter. I believe this paper is rated at 2.5 macron, it will take care to slowly push the extracted liquid through the paper rather than around it. This produces my finished results.
I then mix my e-liquids to taste (usually around 10% extract) and allow four weeks steep time.
My method is simple and easy. There are probably better methods (and possibly more complicated and time consuming), but I can produce NET flavors at a fraction of what Vendors charge. My 'flavored' tobacco extractions are clean enough for RDA's, and the unflavored tobaccos are clean enough for RTAs.
CMD-Ky, it's not as complicated as this post sounds. Though we DIY'ers might never match the quality of Lab Equipment used by professionals, we can produce many enjoyable flavors (and a few clunkers along the way).
READ as much as you can in the Liquid Extraction from Tobacco sub-forum. There are people who know far more than I do. I just like 'quick and easy', and this works for me. Good Luck !

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Wow, thank you, that was great tutorial and I like you giving the reasoning for each step of the process. I have an Aeropress and the filters so getting started will be the cost of the lab filters and tobacco. This is a quick and simple way for me to start as I read more.
Thanks again.

bover907

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2014
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
@ PapawBrett,
That has been my ADV since like a year ago, when I did it as my first extract. I use pretty much the same method you do. I've done a bunch of other extractions, but this one is the one I've done several batches of, and is the tried and true that I keep coming back to.

Reactions: PapawBrett

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Scotty's Trout Stream - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) winter of 2016
Mixed at 10% (30/70 PG/VG @10mg Nic) Feb 2018

I think we can file this one under "What Might Have Been" ....
At first blush, I really liked this selection. Sweet and smooth, the butterscotch top note made this Cavendish Blend an exceptional Summertime Vape, or an after dinner delight. The Golden and Black Cavendish base was rich enough to balance out the sweet sensation of the butterscotch...
However, it doesn't take long for the top note to simply fade away. The remaining flavor is like any 8 ounce bag of drugstore tobacco (for those familiar with pipe tobaccos), a plain and cheap Cavendish mixture. A slight Vanilla note is left behind, but not enough to set this selection apart.
If anyone ventures into this selection, mix it in small amounts and vape away ! In about a month the flavor will change from sweet and smooth, to average and less then exceptional. Just my :2c:

• Informative
Reactions: Fredman1

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I have some McClelland's 5105 Stoved Virginia on hand, but I am hesitant to review it as I don't know if it is still available. (Not at P&C, at least). The idea is a bright Virginia that is slowly heated until it turns black. This makes for a sweet, smokey flavor that I've given to an ECF friend who was missing her cigars whenever the Tennant below her stepped out onto the back balcony and smoked a fine cigar. She liked it very much, and claimed that it was just what she needed to cure her cigar cravings.
Maybe I'll order some Sutliff Stoved Black Virginia and give it a try ...

• Love
Reactions: LAwaters

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
I have some McClelland's 5105 Stoved Virginia on hand, but I am hesitant to review it as I don't know if it is still available. (Not at P&C, at least). The idea is a bright Virginia that is slowly heated until it turns black. This makes for a sweet, smokey flavor that I've given to an ECF friend who was missing her cigars whenever the Tennant below her stepped out onto the back balcony and smoked a fine cigar. She liked it very much, and claimed that it was just what she needed to cure her cigar cravings.
Maybe I'll order some Sutliff Stoved Black Virginia and give it a try ...

It’s true! Exceptional flavor, smooth and rich just like when I smoked a fine Madura cigar. Well done, Papaw! :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread