The "Minor Morph" + outright bans justified by protecting children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
See my media round-up for today for two trends: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...it-job-uk-us-states-ny-va-il-ok-tx-nm-ca.html

(1) The "minor morph" - a proposed ordinance or piece of legislation begins as a simple proposal to ban sales of PVDs to minors. Then, it "morphs" via ammendment into a general proposal to equate vaping with smoking (i.e. to apply all laws regulating tobacco burning to vaping). And since legislators and/or council people don't want to be seen as voting against a ban on the sale to minors, they vote for the proposal (after all, "so-and-so opposed a ban on the sale of e-ciggs to minors, vote against them!" makes a fairly powerful campaign message for potential opponents). BTW there's some evidence that the "minor morph" is also going to happen at the state level in several different states.

(2) Outright bans designed to protect children (but which also prohibit sales to adults). One has to wonder whether they're subject to constitutional challenge under a variety of rubrics such as Equal Pro. But they prob'ly don't violate the Supremacy Clause any more than bans on the sale to minors do (or any other form of taxation/regulation: if states and localities can do it w/ tobacco burning, they can do it w/ vaping). Anyway we'll have to see what happens to this one in La Mesa CA (a suburb of San Diego). National trends often begin in California.

charlieS

Oct 7, 2013
N. California
Ban tobacco smoking, then e-cigarettes...back yard BBQs are next.

I hate the smell of cigarettes. I do think second-hand smoke is a joke. If it were damaging, everyone I grew up with would be dead now because all of our parents smoked around us or entire lives until age 18 or so. That being said, I do not care if others smoke cigs, cigars, pipes...individual liberty is at stake. If this keeps up, you'll soon be banned from cooking any kind of meat on your stovetop once the "studies" show how harmful the fumes are to children.

Our government is out of control; the citizens have allowed the government to scare them into submission. No one thinks for themselves any longer. Mom and Dad in DC do it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread