Status
Not open for further replies.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Thanks Rob.. Just got the NEW Ego with the PT built in the end..

These are really nice.. It is about time they thought of putting it right into the battery end!

Thanks for the Gift too Rob! GP is the best out there.!

These are so easy to just keep by the computer and not have to worry about the charging..

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
Also awesome for the car - I have a dual usb car charger, so I can charge one & vape & charge with the other, or charge my phone & batt at the same time. Ultra convenient during roadtrips of almost any length.

And yes, not having to futz around with the attys is the BEST. I generally drip (with one of GP's drip tips, of course) and just cycle through complementary flavors and hardly ever deal with my attys. I really can't recommend these enough.

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
Has anyone in those posts mentioned what exactly the problem was? Power spikes? Faulty wiring? I'm curious - because this is just a standard, garden-variety 5pin mini-usb (one of the many things I love about it - if you need an extra for the car, Walmart or Best Buy has 'em). I'd say if you're concerned about plugging it in, you should be concerned about plugging any peripherals in with any usb cord.

But yk, I live dangerously.

DSCF3240.JPG

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I have heard the power draw can fry the board on a Laptop & PC's and people have had it happen, I just don't think it is a good idea to risk a $1,000 or more piece of precious equipment when you can use a wall adapter to go from AC/USB and get great power this way. I guess it's all up to the individual user but personally I plug in my PT to the wall adapter and get a strong 110 to my adapter with no risk to my PC

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
with all I have read over the last year or so about plugging PT's into your computers what makes this PT any safer, just like to know if anything, but wouldnt a wall AC-USB adapter be a much better power source rather than risking you PC OR Laptop.???

I have a very limited understanding of electric circuits and the problem of passthroughs on the computer; but from the post I read about them was some people are concerned that 5V passthoughs might create a problem on some of the older laptops who don't have enough protection. I have not heard of any question about 3.5v passthroughs. I asked Cybervex, who I believe is an electrical engineer and who made my 3.7v Bartleby box mod (which can also be used as a passthrough and charges with the same type USB cord as an ego) about any problem with using my computer with my Bartleby pluged into a usb that would require I buy a wall adapter and he assured me their wasn't. Any way my USB ego has been hooked up to a USB on my 8 year old Dell laptop for the last 17 days with no problem.

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
I have heard the power draw can fry the board on a Laptop & PC's and people have had it happen, I just don't think it is a good idea to risk a $1,000 or more piece of precious equipment when you can use a wall adapter to go from AC/USB and get great power this way. I guess it's all up to the individual user but personally I plug in my PT to the wall adapter and get a strong 110 to my adapter with no risk to my PC

I don't doubt that it can happen - but it can happen with anything, I suppose that's all I'm saying. If you use your computer's usb ports to charge your camera or cell phone, or use a mouse, there's always going to be a chance of failure with any device that draws power through your computer. And granted, the other PTs don't "look" like the ego pt, either - what with their inline battery.. they just look kind of sketchy.

But I'm still thinking if your motherboard is gonna fry, it's gonna fry. Having said all of that, I actually use a wall charger most of the time just because I hate cords cluttering up my laptop space so I have a less obtrusive setup, but if I'm on the laptop in another room, I don't hesitate to use the usb.

Some of that might come from the quality feel and standard 5pin cord, though. It is confidence inspiring, somehow.

But I promise I'm not twisting anyone's arm to do the same. :)

Skud

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2010
South Florida
www.powerstationstudios.com
i believe where this concern stems from is the fact that these USB PV's aren't necessarily designed within the same standards as typical PC peripherals. like, if Logitech makes a USB mouse, or Seagate makes a USB hard drive, they've been working with the USB power standards for a long time and their devices will most surely operate within those standards. while the designers of these PV's aren't necessarily computer engineers and don't necessarily have a lot of experience working within these standards, certainly not as much experience as one of the major PC peripheral companies. not saying it's dangerous or it isn't, just saying i doubt Joye knows as much about how your computer works as Logitech does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread