Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Marysville, Washington, USA
Yes, very well prepped XC-132 (2mm Thin) and XC-116 (3MM thicker).

I'm really happy with the 2mm thin with a tightly wrapped 1/16 ID coil.
Ceramic+6.JPG

photo+3.JPG

DualShot.JPG

Zenith V2, Reactor and cyclone and Origin V2.

I haven't been able to go back to cotton after using this stuff.

(specifically the stuff from rba Supplies)

Last edited:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
MikeE3, what size diameter readyXwick are you using on your Dids? Im leaning towards getting the regular 3mm or the combo pack from Rbasupplies. Also, just wandering how you would compare these to the ceramics were making. Thanks!

I'm using the 3mm size. I put two wraps of masking tape on a 2mm mandrel (comes out to about 2.3-2.3mm) to wrap the coil. The wick fits nice. I was using a 2.5mm mandrel but the wick was a bit loose so I sized down a bit. I put a small piece of masking tape on the tip of the wick and roll it tight to a point then thread it thru the coil. Then I take the tape off and put the wick into the atty hole and connect the coil leads.

I like it better as it doesn't have the 'heat sink' effect. It fires up quicker and the power goes to the coil w/o losing heat into the wick. Vapor production is comparable and flavor is pretty darn clean from the 1st vape.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
Last edited:
Thank you Gdeal, I've been sitting on some AlOx since the initial run but never got around to shaping a wick. Still need files and power tools but with the advent of Titanium wire we can get 1.8 Ohms with 17 wraps. Which if done correctly should measure out to about 4.5mm coil width using 30 gauge wire (assuming I can get as close to a true 3mm cross bar). It only takes about a foot of wire to make lol. Sourced 200ft of Grade 1 30 gauge for about 30$. Whould you suggest aiming for lower Ohms?

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
Thank you Gdeal, I've been sitting on some AlOx since the initial run but never got around to shaping a wick. Still need files and power tools but with the advent of Titanium wire we can get 1.8 Ohms with 17 wraps. Which if done correctly should measure out to about 4.5mm coil width using 30 gauge wire (assuming I can get as close to a true 3mm cross bar). It only takes about a foot of wire to make lol. Sourced 200ft of Grade 1 30 gauge for about 30$. Whould you suggest aiming for lower Ohms?

It depends upon how many watts your device (s) can put out and/or how fast the titanium wire can reach vape temp so you dont have any lag.

I'm still rocking my old kicked Silver Bullet, so anywhere between 5-10 watts, but was asking for more of a general idea. Ti by nature has the resistance of a Kanthal A1 wire 5 gauges smaller, so K 25 ga would be comparable to a 30 ga Ti. Lag seems to be nonexistent/negligible, and the extra length (roughly 3x) needed to hit particular Ohms compared to K1 means more surface area making contact. The main concern I have is whether or not the AO will be able to keep up. Any suggestions as to what Ohm ranges would best offset potential dry burns?

Last edited:
I haven't had the opportunity to try a Ti coil yet, just discovered it in the GG forum, Imeo was pushing them as "the only safe way to vape." He was very adamant about everyone stopping burning/pulsing our coils (in my opinion over zealously and without supportive research). Theirs a few videos floating around over there showcasing GGs new precoiled Ti coils, didn't see anything but the videos were fairly short. I've never attempted a sub ohm build, what would be a good target to aim for?

Guys I tried the NR R wire but not on a wick. Sorry didn't have time yet. The problem I tried the 1.5 ohm which I think is 33 gauge 0.18mm and with that gauge it is hard to test my usual coils. So what I did is wrapped a coil around 2mm and stuck it in a dripper. What I noticed is what was mentioned before by Rossum in his blog. The wire heats up fast then turns off quite fast as well. I was running it on a provari which made it harder to know what was happening because the resistance was jumping. I know for sure is that testing the ohms in a provari let's a small amount of current pass through the coil. This small amount of current was making the wire go from 1.5 to exactly to 2.5 ohms when heated. Now when setting it to something like 13 watts the wire was glowing then dull glow. If you blow on it it becomes black and turns off like a candle. It is interesting. As you know a provari doesn't set the watts so it is like a mechanical at a certain voltage. In a variable wattage I would assume that the voltage will increase all the time with the resistance of the coil and might reach the electronics limits. With a mech or provari, actually the behavior from what I saw is desirable in a way. We have seen mods that start off high then lower the watts like the decodes or semovar (not sure). So a Ti wire will give you theoretically the same behavior which might be a nice experience for a change.

Regarding flakes @Rossum and @CaptSteve, I did not have any in mine BUT I don't think it is the grade of Ti but I think we are not reaching the high amounts of power to get these temperatures. For me at least before trying a device that delivers a constant high wattage over a period of time (increasing voltage with resistance), I cannot attribute the absence of the flakes to the type of wire as of yet. I will try soon the 0.5 ohm wire.

This quote leads me to believe we may have found the perfect mate to AO. I can't remember who exactly but a while back someone was dreaming of dropping temps after an initial warm-up allowing the wick to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread