Status
Not open for further replies.

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
Excellent link, thanks so much:) Have you tried rewicking the new enclosed coils?

Not yet but I've heard it can be done. I have moved on from Kanger style tanks and now mostly service and rotate out my fleet of PT's and such for a friend who is unable to do so for himself. ( arthritis :( )

Remie

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
Florida
I have a few questions about wicking material in the Kayfuns...

Do you boil your cotton balls? I've read both - boil or don't bother.

I have organic cotton balls, but I decided to do my first builds with Sterile Rolled Cotton. A box (easily found anywear) will last me forever. The fibers are longer than in a cotton ball, it's so easy to cut a bit off the roll, and I get zero funky taste from the get go.

I did an experiment today and wicked one kayfun with the sterile cotton (the way I have been) and one with an organic cotton ball.

I honestly prefer the sterile rolled cotton. I got a slight "off" (not horrible, just noticeable) taste for the first dozen or so hits. It vanished and all is good - just strange :confused: I did not boil the cotton balls.

What is a rayon wick?

What is KGD? (I think that was the abbreviation I saw)

What other wicking materials are there to try?

Thank you in advance :) I'm loving the kayfuns and I've had no issues building or wicking/rewicking - but if there are different things to try for taste advantages ... I'll try them :)

Sorry- I originally posted this in the wrong thread. I'm claiming brain fog from a nasty summer cold :( :)

motabrownie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2014
Lawrence, KS
Heres my reply from that other thread lol....

When I was using cotton balls I didnt boil them. I got that dry cotton taste for the first few pulls too. I use Koh Gen Do (KGD) cotton now and like it much better. Theres still a slight taste at first but not as bad as cotton balls. Its alot easier to work with as well.

Glad that KFL+ is still working for ya. Hop over to Sloths thread, hes having problems with his KFL+, maybe you can help. I think you both got them at the same time?

5spike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
WI
I have a few questions about wicking material in the Kayfuns...

Do you boil your cotton balls? I've read both - boil or don't bother.

I have organic cotton balls, but I decided to do my first builds with Sterile Rolled Cotton. A box (easily found anywear) will last me forever. The fibers are longer than in a cotton ball, it's so easy to cut a bit off the roll, and I get zero funky taste from the get go.

I did an experiment today and wicked one kayfun with the sterile cotton (the way I have been) and one with an organic cotton ball.

I honestly prefer the sterile rolled cotton. I got a slight "off" (not horrible, just noticeable) taste for the first dozen or so hits. It vanished and all is good - just strange :confused: I did not boil the cotton balls.

What is a rayon wick?

What is KGD? (I think that was the abbreviation I saw)

What other wicking materials are there to try?

Thank you in advance :) I'm loving the kayfuns and I've had no issues building or wicking/rewicking - but if there are different things to try for taste advantages ... I'll try them :)

Sorry- I originally posted this in the wrong thread. I'm claiming brain fog from a nasty summer cold :( :)

Rayon is described as a regenerated fibre because the cellulose, obtained from soft woods or from the short fibres (linters) that adhere to cottonseeds, is converted to a liquid compound, squeezed through tiny holes in a device called a spinnerette, and then converted back to cellulose in the form of fibre. (encyclopedia Brittanica)
Been messing with this for a while. Comes in a rope with stands all going the same way.Seems to work nice in everything. Need to use a little more than cotton since it doesn't swell like cotton. I haven't boiled, have not noticed any off flavor.
Koh Gen Do Cotton
Guess you could call this a premium organic cotton. Comes in square pads with strands all running same way. Super easy to use. $12.00 a box from the Dermstore. Never boiled this either.
Still experimenting so not sure which one is best. But rayon working good in my Kayfun. Maybe a little less coil gunking with fruits.
PM me your address and I can stuff an envelope for you.

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
So I've got a DNA30- a magma, a TOBH, and an IGO-W....For this not to get too confusing, Im gonna just stick to the IGO-w with this question... What ohm build would work best for this? I have drilled the airholes out to 5/64", and I'm having trouble getting this RDA to hit good. I've tried 30awg dual 2mm coils (1.2ohm), 28awg dual 2mm coils(1.0ohm and 2.0ohm), and tried raising them/centering them to get off the deck and close to the airholes, but it just doesn't seem to be cooking juice like it should!! Very poor vapor production/ flavor. I've tried organic cotton and rayon, and the rayon has been easier/working better... I used a wider bore drip tip and that helped a little bit, yet flavor was lacking.

The Dna30 (cloupor) Im using, does fire below 4V's, but it isn't regulated when doing so. Technically, I guess a 2.3ohm coil would be the most efficient, in terms of a regulated power range, for this device, but thats gonna be a crazy amount of wraps with 28awg or 30awg!!
The 2ohm coil created a lot more heat, and I ended up giving up on that build pretty early...

Any suggestions on how to get the most out of this IGO-w? Im probably just gonna do a 28 awg, 3mm, dual coil, shooting for about a .5ohm build. edit: maybe I should just shoot for 1.5ohm....

My Tobh loves the dual 0.7ohm 2mm rayon build, with 28awg. :)

:?:

Last edited:

Remie

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
Florida
So whats the big deal about a kayfun? I have seen them at my local B&M, but have only used a stillaire and my current favorite, infinite clt. I see a lot of people talking about them, was just wondering if I am missing out on something!!

For me it's just my first foray into RTA and coil building. I was using a Nautilus for a bit and learned to rebuild those coils. When I realized it wasn't as difficult or complicated as I thought - I jumped on an ehpro fayfun clone. Much cheaper than my Nautilus (which I liked and liked better with rebuilt singer coil heads) - and much easier to build on than the Nautilus heads.

I also credit the encouragement and advice from people here because I was basically clueless :)

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
So whats the big deal about a kayfun? I have seen them at my local B&M, but have only used a stillaire and my current favorite, infinite clt. I see a lot of people talking about them, was just wondering if I am missing out on something!!

When they are built right, excellent flavor and portability. If you are chasing the big clouds, stay with the drippers. I like to use it all, but when I leave the house, I reach for one of my KF/ Provari's and one of the Reo's. When I am home, I drip, drip and drip some more.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA

A Kayfun is an RBA as opposed to the RDA's you have been using. It is one of the few tank systems that are transportable (does not leak unless something is wrong) and gives good flavor for a tank. Holds 5ml in full size mode.

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
I also credit the encouragement and advice from people here because I was basically clueless :)

This is what this thread is all about. Helping folks in getting through the trials and tribulations of getting the most out of their equipment and juice. :)

Last edited:

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
So I've got a DNA30- a magma, a TOBH, and an IGO-W....For this not to get too confusing, Im gonna just stick to the IGO-w with this question... What ohm build would work best for this? I have drilled the airholes out to 5/64", and I'm having trouble getting this RDA to hit good. I've tried 30awg dual 2mm coils (1.2ohm), 28awg dual 2mm coils(1.0ohm and 2.0ohm), and tried raising them/centering them to get off the deck and close to the airholes, but it just doesn't seem to be cooking juice like it should!! Very poor vapor production/ flavor. I've tried organic cotton and rayon, and the rayon has been easier/working better... I used a wider bore drip tip and that helped a little bit, yet flavor was lacking.

The Dna30 (cloupor) Im using, does fire below 4V's, but it isn't regulated when doing so. Technically, I guess a 2.3ohm coil would be the most efficient, in terms of a regulated power range, for this device, but thats gonna be a crazy amount of wraps with 28awg or 30awg!!
The 2ohm coil created a lot more heat, and I ended up giving up on that build pretty early...

Any suggestions on how to get the most out of this IGO-w? Im probably just gonna do a 28 awg, 3mm, dual coil, shooting for about a .5ohm build. edit: maybe I should just shoot for 1.5ohm....

My Tobh loves the dual 0.7ohm 2mm rayon build, with 28awg. :)

:?:

No experience with the Igo's at all but, when I get a new atty I sometimes find that I have to just keep throwing builds at it until I hit it right. Maybe someone else will read your post that has the experience with these. Sorry I could not be of more help, but that's all I got.

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
No experience with the Igo's at all but, when I get a new atty I sometimes find that I have to just keep throwing builds at it until I hit it right. Maybe someone else will read your post that has the experience with these. Sorry I could not be of more help, but that's all I got.

S'all good. I'm just sorta throwing it out there. I think I'm just trying to overdo it with this tiny dripper...Im gonna experiment with it like you suggest and research elsewhere and will report back if I find the magic OHM / build for this one... thanks!

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
S'all good. I'm just sorta throwing it out there. I think I'm just trying to overdo it with this tiny dripper...Im gonna experiment with it like you suggest and research elsewhere and will report back if I find the magic OHM / build for this one... thanks!

I suggest you get Clark's attention on this one. He has an Igo.

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
Holllly 3mm!!! I just tried the 3mm diameter with 28ga with 6/7 wraps for a 1.4ohm single coil in my Magma, experimenting with the suggestion from earlier to try larger diameter for "fruity" vapes...I wicked with rayon and loaded up some Apricot Ambition, using the largest airhole on the magma...WOW, I've never had my magma working this good before or tasted the apricot like this - FULL on flavor with tons of vapor (last time I tried AA it was in my igo-w with a crappy build/wicking, but Im doing this exact same coil build on it right now). . I placed the coil basically right above the airhole in the magma (1mm?)...

I was looking for Igo-w coil builds, and I found a thread on ECF, where this one dude was saying how the coil wraps benefit from space in between each other- not fully compressed. I guess Im experimenting with 3mm diameter 28ga spaced out coils...? Hopefully this will do well on the IGO-w, but I just had to share and ask if anyone uses this spaced out coil method?

edit2: Basically the wraps have tiny tiny gaps in between them...nothing too spread out ...and they do glow from the inside out still. I didnt go wrapping them super tight like the times I have before on 2mm builds, which had more wraps...

edit3: Yea, this single 28ga, 3mm 6/7 wraps- 1.4ohms in the Igo-W is way, way better and easier than the duals I was trying.... thanks for the tip Distorto.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread