The ohm difference between 30 and 34 gauge Kanthal..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeybrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Ft. Gibson
is ASTOUNDING!

On the 30 gauge i literally had to wrap it 12-13 times to get an ohm of 2.2-2.4 (Don't ask me how I fit that on my half inch wick space on the bliSS lol) ... 6 wraps of 34 gave me an ohm of 4... FOUR! Yes I am a noob... lol But hey.. took one wrap off and got me a perfect 3 ohm coil. (unbroken in) Which is kinda where I wanted to be anyway on my V1 Provari.

Zeybrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Ft. Gibson
I got my wire from ebay. 10 bucks for 100 ft and free shipping. Here.

Edit: I thought twisting your wire cause a large drop in ohms? Not an increase... At least that's what I read in a thread where someone was getting too high of an ohm coil... People were suggesting twisting it to reduce the ohms.

Last edited:

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Total length of the wire used should increase the ohms

So you could use more wire in a twist, effectively raising the ohms, or use a larger wick which would use longer wire as well.

What??? You're not increasing the length of the wire when you twist two wires together....you are in fact increasing the thickness of the wire...lowering the ohms. Twisting two 30g wires will make them perform like a 28g wire...5 wraps of that won't even get you 1 ohm.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
check out the peter k drill bit method for wrapping coils. i use 30g kanthal and come out at about 2.3ohms. and it is almost fool proof. almost never have to adjust more then a poke or two.

but 34 should def give you higher ohms per same wraps.

Really???....my mind is blown....even though i have never done it...most people recommend twisting the leads on Vivi Novas and other rebuilds to make them like non resistance wire...meaning lower ohms. The logic being by twisting the wires together....you make the wire ticker and thus lowering the ohms. I remember there was a thread here not long ago about a guy who was waiting on his 28awg order and everyone was saying until the wire comes along....to get his 30g wire and twist it together to make it into 28g wire. And supposedly the twisted wire acted exactly like the 28g wire. He must be doing something different to get the resistance to go up instead of down. Anyway...I will definitely check out his video...thanks. How many wraps to get 2.3ohms?

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
What??? You're not increasing the length of the wire when you twist two wires together....you are in fact increasing the thickness of the wire...lowering the ohms. Twisting two 30g wires will make them perform like a 28g wire...5 wraps of that won't even get you 1 ohm.

Sorry, maybe I'm confused then? Did you watch the video I linked above? It's twisting two wires yes, but differently than you are thinking (I think). It's actually one length of wire so you are doubling the actual length used. At least that's how I understood it, and he's not getting low ohms either, that's why I suggested it.

Sorry if I'm wrong and confused guys, was just trying to help since I'd just came across that video. If I am dead wrong, tell me I'm lost and to move along - I wont mind :D

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Aurora...I have to apoligize to you....I hadn't watched the video. Basically he didn't change his ohms much at all it seems like.....4 wraps of 32g kanthal should be around 1.7ohms....that is what he got basically with the twisted wire. Basically if you very loosely twist 6 inches ....you end up with a close to three inch twisted wire ( a little less).... but the ohms of the twisted wire would go down considerably. But the way he was twisting his wires very tightly....you need a lot more wire....in order to get a three inch twisted wire you basically need like 9 inches of wire. I have to try this out...thanks for the video link.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Twisting the wire tightly decreases the resistance- ideally, by a factor of two (one half the original resistance), although in practice it's probably a bit less of a reduction.

One thing to remember when wrapping coils is that the surface area of the SS covered by the coil itself is important- the more coverage you have, the stronger, more complete and more flavorful the vape will be, provided you're running the right amount of power through the coil. This is why larger- gauge (smaller-number) wire is attracting so much attention- not only is it thicker, but it innately requires more wraps due to lower resistance.

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
Aurora...I have to apoligize to you....I hadn't watched the video. Basically he didn't change his ohms much at all it seems like.....4 wraps of 32g kanthal should be around 1.7ohms....that is what he got basically with the twisted wire. Basically if you very loosely twist 6 inches ....you end up with a close to three inch twisted wire ( a little less).... but the ohms of the twisted wire would go down considerably. But the way he was twisting his wires very tightly....you need a lot more wire....in order to get a three inch twisted wire you basically need like 9 inches of wire. I have to try this out...thanks for the video link.

No worries! I just wasn't sure if I was confused and maybe understanding it incorrectly or not, but it didn't seem like it to me. I mean it didn't seem like he was having low ohm issues like the OP mentioned, that was the main reason I suggested trying it out. That and just so he could see/try another method as well to see if it would work for him. But ya like you mentioned, I think that guy in the vid had 1.7 or so, and I think that tight twist looks like it works great so that's another reason I linked up the vid too.

Let me know how it works out for you! And again, sorry if I am confused on this, or confused anyone else!!

never_enough_juice

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
Hazard, Kentucky
I'm not real sure about that issue either. . .I know 28g wire is thicker than 30 or 32g . . .but I'm not sure which one would give you lower ohms . . .seems to me like no matter what wire I use I get about 1.2 to 1.7ohms. . .to tell you the truth I just can't tell from experimenting . . .seems to me like thicker wire would give you higher ohms but I don't know.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Thicker wire equals lower resistance (ohms). The lower the gauge #, the thicker the wire. Hope this helps :)

4 years, 1,000 posts- and here's to the next 1,000 in 2013. :D

Fireworks.gif

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm not real sure about that issue either. . .I know 28g wire is thicker than 30 or 32g . . .but I'm not sure which one would give you lower ohms . . .seems to me like no matter what wire I use I get about 1.2 to 1.7ohms. . .to tell you the truth I just can't tell from experimenting . . .seems to me like thicker wire would give you higher ohms but I don't know.

Just to be really clear, the lower the number gauge, the less resistance. 30g is less resistance than 32g, 28g is less than 30g.

Just to be really clear, the lower the number gauge, the thicker the wire. 30g is thicker than 32g, 28g is thicker than 30g.

Make sense? So, if you twist 2 strands of 32g into one "twisted" strand then you would have essentially created a "thicker" wire simulating a 30g wire.

Now, never_enough, if you are getting the same resistances with different gauge wires then I would bet there is an issue with shorting somewhere. Point is, the lower number gauge(thicker) wire will give less resistance.

Hope this helps a bit

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I tried it out....my resistance went down greatly. I had forgotten what you get when you do 4 wrap 32g kathal set up....I got 2.0ohms. With the twisted wire....I got 1.1 ohms...which was right below my cut off. With five wraps I was getting 1.4ohms. So In effect I was getting about the same type of wrap that I would get with a 30g wire. So I was right after all twisting the wire no matter what makes the resistance go down.

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
Did you do the twist with a single length of wire folded over then twisted, not cut into two pieces and twisted? Thanks for testing!

Not sure what I'll end up doing now then, I've got 30 on the way and planned to do the twist thinking it would land me around 1.7-2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread