• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

The Packers Thread,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
I thought they looked great on both sides of the ball. Looks to me they made some good adjustments this year.

Ditto that here.

As for missing Favre - still battle between heart & head on that one.
But, it was exciting to see them playing good; be energetic....if summer has to end & football begin, at least give us a winning team! LOL

And I'm sorry; but Rodgers just reminds me of Ryan from "The Office" and every time he says certain things, I keep expecting Steve Carell to walk by & say "That's what she said".... lol I'll get over it...LOL

mr_vicks

Jul 31, 2009
I've been a packer fan since my late grade school years. It's kinda funny - for awhile I never wanted anything to do with football but I watched the Super Bowl (maybe 1978 or 77) between the Cowboys and Broncos and was instantly hooked on football. Call it an epiphany if you will. Since then I watched the Packers and they consistently stank or were mediocre. One quarterback back then was Lynn Dickey and if anybody can remember him he had several surgeries so was a good thrower but could not scramble worth eggs. So if you gave him time he could beat you but if you pressured him he would not be able to do diddley squat.

When the packers finally got good in the 1990s I expected there to be a slow growth process but I was surprised at how fast Mike Holmgren turned things around. That was around 1992 and Vicks and I had just started living together so she was getting used to the regular "watch the Packers on Sunday B4 we grocery shop" routine. Any good luck by them was a change considering they were coming off a 4 and 12 season not too long ago.

Vicks will attest to the fact I tend to arrange my life around sports. How were the Packers doing when we got married? I can tell you that. I can also tell you how they were doing the year I left my factory job and worked for Beatrice Cheese in Waukesha. I also remember that my nephew's daugher's birthday is in March. Why? Because we go there to celebrate it the same time the basketball tournaments are on television. If there was some component of pleasing a woman in the bedroom that revolved around football, I would probably be one of the first to figure out what that was.

Anyway, as far as the Packers this year, I think they will be better because Rogers has more experience than last. Ryan Grant is not a hold out this year like he was last year. There is not the distraction they had from the Brett Favre fiasco last year. Plus they may have made some improvements with the team. They could have won a few more games last year, but the defense melted down consistently.

but the biggest sign that we are living in the end times of this Earth is the fact the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl. Can they make it there again? I think when pigs fly they will

mr_vicks

Jul 31, 2009
You mean the same team that lost 4 super bowls.

The Vikings are a successful choke team. Yep, you're remembering it right, they lost to the Steelers, Dolphins (if I remember that right), Raiders, and one other team (can't remember which). Then they had that really good season when they went 13-3 but lost in the playoffs to the Falcons and haven't really been there since. If they had Favre they would find a way to mess it up.

Don't forget, the Vikings also had that really good running back they got from the Cowboys (can't remember his name) late 1980s and early 90s but couldn't figure out how to use him. They have had a high powered offense many times and sometimes a good defense but can't seem to muster a winning plan. When they had duante Culpepper that one year they started off strong and faded down the stretch. They just can't manage to maintain any stamina. Maybe football ...... can come to the rescue?

Personally I think Favre will start strong but fade down the stretch. He'll revert to throwing interceptions, his team will fade down the stretch again, and they'll be questions about him even returning next year. I'd be willing to bet a snack on this prediction.

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin
The Vikings are a successful choke team. Yep, you're remembering it right, they lost to the Steelers, Dolphins (if I remember that right), Raiders, and one other team (can't remember which). Then they had that really good season when they went 13-3 but lost in the playoffs to the Falcons and haven't really been there since. If they had Favre they would find a way to mess it up.

Don't forget, the Vikings also had that really good running back they got from the Cowboys (can't remember his name) late 1980s and early 90s but couldn't figure out how to use him. They have had a high powered offense many times and sometimes a good defense but can't seem to muster a winning plan. When they had duante Culpepper that one year they started off strong and faded down the stretch. They just can't manage to maintain any stamina. Maybe football ...... can come to the rescue?

Personally I think Favre will start strong but fade down the stretch. He'll revert to throwing interceptions, his team will fade down the stretch again, and they'll be questions about him even returning next year. I'd be willing to bet a snack on this prediction.

The Vikings lost to the Chiefs in 1970. (had to look that up) I'm pretty sure the running back you're talking about was Hershel Walker.

The Packers have done thier share of choking with Favre, so maybe it IS a perfect fit. I still remember that NFC championship game against the Rams where he tossed 6 interceptions,,, how about the NFC championship game against the Giants when he tossed the interception in overtime and gave the Giants the game?? Look what he did with the Jets.

I think Packer fans could cheer a little for Farve playing for the Jets,,, but the Vikes??? whew

The consolation is that the Vikes will have to clear the $12 million they are paying for him, that could have bought them two impact players. IMHO, he's worth a third of what they are paying him at most. They must figure that Adrian Peterson can carry the offense, and just needed that little extra Favre might bring to the table over what they had in camp. Doesn't add up to me, but we'll see. :|

The Packers Vikings games are going to be interesting this year, that's for sure!!

Last edited:

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin
I want to go to a Packer/Viking game simply so I can pelt Favre with a hard Parmasan cheese.....

Ya know, simply on principal...

LMAO,,,

I saw an interview with him after his miserable Viking debute,,, he said he felt good he didnt drop a snap,,, he did complete a pass, though.

mr_vicks

Jul 31, 2009
LMAO,,,

I saw an interview with him after his miserable Viking debute,,, he said he felt good he didnt drop a snap,,, he did complete a pass, though.

When did he debut with the Vikings? I think he plays his first game tonight against the Chiefs, so I'm looking to catch the results of that.

Just think, if he plays 20 + more seasons he can play one season for every team. So far he's played for the Falcons, Packers, Jets, and Vikings. four down and 24 more to go.........

Did Favre choke against the Giants in that playoff game or did the Giants defensive back just get a good jump on the ball? As far as I can tell, nobody on the Packers played a real good game, but then what do you expect in below zero weather. Waht I can't understand is why they scheduled the game at night anyway. It's January and its Green BAy. Hello? If you want to see a good performance by football teams, don't schedule the game at night.

Favre is sorta like the lover who one day is as sweet as pie, next day a real pain in the next. YOu don't know how he'll play so you sort of always hope when the chips are down he'll play good.

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin
I can't wait for the Packers to beat my Lions twice again this year.....so chalk up two wins right there for the Cheddarheads!!!:)The Wiz!

Hope the Lions eat thier Wheaties for the games against the Vikes!!!!

I think the Lions are going to be better this year. :D

Mr Vicks,,, I guess saying Favre gave them the game was a little over the top,,,, but it was a pretty lame pass. I give the Giants some credit,,, they played great that game. We can cut people slack when they dont succeed, if they give thier best effort,,, I didn't sense it on that play. I loved watching Favre, but I really shrug at the,,, I'm gonna retire,,, now I'm not thing he's doing. I was really just trying to make the point that his best days are behind him, and the Vikes made a huge mistake signing him to a big contract now. ;)

mr_vicks

Jul 31, 2009
ok, am I nuts or what, but Favre just walking into training camp and playing his first game only throwing 4 passes doesn't seem like adequate preparation. I would have made him play at least a full half. I think they have too much faith in him that he can just be Superman, step right in and be prepared right away. I think it's a little more difficult than that.

BTW the Packers offense played great on Sat. night. One key played caught my eye, when Rodgers scrambled to buy time and hit a receiver in the end zone. That's the mark of a good quarterback. Their running game was better also. Granted, their first two games were against the Browns (groan) and Buffalo (another groan) and hopefully we'll get a better test against the the CArdinals. But then again, maybe not. I can't believe the CArdinals will be as good as last year.

So get your predictions ready before the beginning of the season. What do you think the standings will be like? Closest guess gets Mcdonals coupons (maybe, gotta think about it)....

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin
ok, am I nuts or what, but Favre just walking into training camp and playing his first game only throwing 4 passes doesn't seem like adequate preparation. I would have made him play at least a full half. I think they have too much faith in him that he can just be Superman, step right in and be prepared right away. I think it's a little more difficult than that.

BTW the Packers offense played great on Sat. night. One key played caught my eye, when Rodgers scrambled to buy time and hit a receiver in the end zone. That's the mark of a good quarterback. Their running game was better also. Granted, their first two games were against the Browns (groan) and Buffalo (another groan) and hopefully we'll get a better test against the the CArdinals. But then again, maybe not. I can't believe the CArdinals will be as good as last year.

So get your predictions ready before the beginning of the season. What do you think the standings will be like? Closest guess gets Mcdonals coupons (maybe, gotta think about it)....

Nope , you're not nuts,,,

I thought there was plenty to impress about the Buffulo game, too. The defense looked great. Forcing turnovers is always a good thing.

Time to take the show on the road,,, see how it holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread