Status
Not open for further replies.

LynGBH

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2010
Not here.
3 oz. 75% Capella PG/25% NOW Foods VG
1 oz. 100mg nic, All PG liquid from Xtreme vaping

I've tried other app. 24/25 mg blends, both premixed and DIY, but this is just right. I've been vaping it "as is", without any flavoring, for weeks now. It's slightly sweet, with plenty of TH. I'm fairly comfortable with anything in 16mg-25mg nic range, so If I decide to add flavoring it'll be just fine without having to worry about percentages of all the other various components.

I was a bit skeered of the 100mg liquid, but it really wasn't a big deal when I finally dared to mix it with my base PG/VG blend.

LynGBH

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2010
Not here.
It doesn't seem bland to me at all....but then again, most flavored e-liquid was making me gaggy. I'm not sure what happened, but everything I liked suddenly started to taste overwhelmingly icky. This was the flavorless recipe that tasted best and had the most throat hit. Not all I tried worked out as well, therefore the specific brands I used are important....to me at least.

Hiya' SS! I'm not sure it would work all that well without the nic if you're a TH fan. If not, go for it! I didn't think I'd be able to do without flavoring but I haven't really missed it much. I feel a lot better, too. I was experiencing some mid and lower back pain that disappeared when I started vaping the flavorless stuff. I thought I was just sleeping in a strange position, but now I'm thinking it might have been my kidneys and lungs. At this point, being a guinea pig with all those unknown chemicals is not something I want to subject myself to. I think Diacetyl, and it's buttery kin, are just the most obvious tip of a big iceberg.

I'm trying to find a good, natural vanilla flavoring strong enough to add a hint of something, though, in case I do get bored.

Last edited:

asti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2010
TX. USA
Not for nothing, but what if the flavors just weren't available and it was simply plain nic and PG/VG?
Would you find vaping as seductive as an alternative ?

I've bought unflavored nic and mixed it with VG for a trial... its not bad at all and if "quitting" is at the end of the tunnel, why the crutch of flavors? Not saying it to be sassy, but interested seeing as most everyones taste buds are cashed when they start vaping from analogs, would it not be a simple step to just not add the flavors....?

As for being a guinea pig - I am more thoughtful of the PG than VG noticing a change myself when I altered the amount to a lower PG level with a higher VG.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
Not for nothing, but what if the flavors just weren't available and it was simply plain nic and PG/VG?
Would you find vaping as seductive as an alternative ?

I've bought unflavored nic and mixed it with VG for a trial... its not bad at all and if "quitting" is at the end of the tunnel, why the crutch of flavors? Not saying it to be sassy, but interested seeing as most everyones taste buds are cashed when they start vaping from analogs, would it not be a simple step to just not add the flavors....?

As for being a guinea pig - I am more thoughtful of the PG than VG noticing a change myself when I altered the amount to a lower PG level with a higher VG.

Not sure exactly who you're addressing, but Lynn has already foregone the flavoring agents and I'm shortly to follow her. I can't bring myself to waste anything and I've got juice with 5% flavoring which I can't bring myself to waste. Fortunately, they're a tobacco and a tobacco-menthol, so they're both relatively benign, but my research has convinced me of two things: 1) DIY is the way to go since some of the vendors have displayed less than ethical behavior; 2) The flavorings seem to carry the most risk from a health standpoint and since I switched from cigarettes to vaping to save my lungs, it's madness to fill them up with toxins again.

Wasn't it Einstein who said that the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect different result? For over 30 years I let people without morals feed me a lot of unknown chemicals in the form of something I inhaled into my lungs. I'm crazy, but I'm not insane, and I'm not letting it happen again.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
LynGBH, you may be on to something here, I've vaped straight VG as a method of cleaning
a flavor off my atty when I switch flavors. It's a little sweet, and a VERY faint flavor from
whatever I'm cleaning out. After the flavors fade away, it not bad at all, and would just need
a good hit of nic to be a long term solution, (at least for me).
Now ther's one more "flavor" (with nic) I'm going to have to try...:facepalm: :laugh:

BadThad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
Cincinnati
Hey, there's nothing wrong with flavorless vaping if you like the taste well enough. I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now. The flavors are a bit of a concern for me too. As a chemist, I realize that flavoring agents are made up many compounds. They are considered "safe", but they are designed to move through the digestive system and not inhaled. All of us vapors are essentially human guinea pigs for a long-term trial of inhaling flavor chemicals. While is a billion times better than burning tobacco, I don't like being part of the experiment. LOL

Since I only started vaping two months ago, I'm still new and learning. I made my first minimalist formula a couple of weeks ago using only a few ingredients. I'm going to continue working on a bare-minimum forumla and, who knows, I might get to vaping nothing but VG/PG/Nic juice.

LynGBH

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2010
Not here.
I think the brands I used ended up being important to the final results. NOW foods had the best tasting VG (the Humco stuff is comparatively nasty) and the PG I purchased from Capella was significantly less "chemical-ish" than Vaporbomb's. The Xtreme Vaping nic juice seems very pure and has a good deal of TH. All PG, VG and nic liquid are not created equal. The blend I made also had that rich feeling I'd not been able to get quite right before I stumbled on to this mixture.

Overall, it's rather sweet as is, so you might want to try it out before you add any extra sweetener.

When I originally posted, I was thinking the base mix may be the problem some are having with making good DIY e-liquid, even with flavoring! If your base doesn't taste good on it's own, I doubt you'll end up with successful juice.

There are a lot of advantages to flavorless, though!

My cartos don't get gummed up at all. I've been using the same one for a couple of weeks and there's no build up in the filler or on the wire heating element. It's nice not to have use different cartos for different flavors...not to mention the expense.

I'm past the novelty aspect of vaping, so the convenience of not having to fart around with equipment in different voltages and continually shopping for, and being disappointed by, different e-liquid flavors (yet another money pit) is very cool! It makes the whole vaping experience much less of a hassle.

It makes DIYing a piece of cake, too!

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
One thing about flavorless is the reduction of possible particulats in the juice which reduce atomizer function, "leavings" if you like clogging attys, possible particulats not contaminating our lungs and throat, (toxins, heavy metals, etc.) also possible sensitivity or asthma/alergy-induced reactions:
but, simply vaporizing PG or VG also creates residues which can cause atty coils to fail.

Really, comes down to a matter of taste. VG is especially a sweeter choice, not at all unpleasant. The Humco stuff is "manufactured" (chemical), vs. true processed vegetable oil. Molecularly is supposed to be the same, but it is not. I'm a huge fan of and buy only ECOpure VG. (Intellicig UK, bulk available 500ml, and others stateside, bulk not available). It is an aqueous VG, not overly thick in other words. No added water needed, consistent quality and batch identifiable.

I was and still am loving my tobacco absolute (nicotiana rustica!). I felt at the onset of vaping it was a one-shot deal, trading cigarettes for a good tobacco taste/aroma vapor. I did love my tobacco.

Since cigarettes were about to kill me I didn't want to take any chances. Smokers do have more choices than quitting or dying!!

Last edited:

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
The Humco stuff is "manufactured" (chemical), vs. true processed vegetable oil. Molecularly is supposed to be the same, but it is not.

Well this thread is pretty depressing to say the least. lol Just bought close to $150 worth of flavorings. :facepalm: But hey what the heck, I've been a guinea pig for the big tobacco co's for over 30 years why stop now , right! lol

Kate - Do you (or anyone else) have any links or info you could share about this "all VG is not the same"? I'm a little confused by that statement and want to read more about this. Everything I have ever read says that USP Food-grade vegetable glycerin is 99.7% pure, with the remaining 0.3% being water. So how can this stuff be sold as USP grade if what you say is correct?

Between your statement and Lyn's about the difference in taste I'm beginning to wonder as well because I use Humco VG and all my DIY juice have a underlying taste that none of my "e-store" purchased juices have. Not a bad taste but just a funky kinda taste. The horrid taste I get are my fault. lol

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
Vapspaz, well the flavors you really want to dump are the ones containing butter flavoring, and that means the rich vanillaey tasting ones, coconut, some nuts, buttery pastries, etc. The others, like the fruity ones, you can experiment with in lower concentrations than what foolhardy people use. If you start from the premise that unflavored is safest, you can probably come up with some interesting tastes at the under 5% total flavoring level. Personally I use mostly glycerin, with say 20% PG and definitely under 5% flavoring. When I dropped the PG level my daytime energy improved, and I use PG-rich juice only at bedtime. On nicotine, I find I can go with zero nicotine for say 3-4 hours, but then it takes a while to build the nicotine blood level up, so I rotate with zero nicotine one of the juices. I suspect it may be better to use very high nicotine juice, but not chain-vape. It's so easy to get into a routine of chain-vaping, I love the taste and the vapor, but it seems unwise, on reflection. The drying and slightly irritating effects of both PG and VG are obvious.

Oh, and one more thing. Menthol in very small amounts doesn't come through as "menthol", it adds a bit of interest to a lightly flavored vape.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread