The Prodigy V2 ... Now Named With Some Info (and Poll)

Should we make the Protégé Available for Pre-Order?

• Yes, Even if it takes 1-2 months to fill.

• Yes, But only allow starting 1-2 weeks in advance.

• No ... Wait until fully stocked.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hey Guys ...

The release on the design is just days away, so I thought I may as well start this thread to dispel some rumors and old posts, and get some people facts.

I also want to know whether we should open up a Pre-Order on them or not ....

The Prodigy V2 (Essentially the brother of V1, simply smaller) is now named the Protégé ... I saw Antebellum post the name on another thread of ours and LOVED it from the get go. It name just ... fits ... :) ... Not to mention, it starts with a "P" ... which we have tried to stick with for some time now (minus the bada bing...)

Anyways ... Here are the Protégé facts ...
1) We will be running a 3.7v 900mAh battery ...
2) PS USBpass Adapters will be 1 in the same with the Protégé meaning, you can use the same adapters for both.
3) We will offer a base kit as we do with the Prodigy.
4) The switch will be much like the Prodigy, in that its not pinned in, is easily replaceable if it ever burns out, etc...

Those disheartened it won't be a 5v+ monster, I do apologize ... Keeping it small and versatile just isn't an option, especially when using cheap batteries. This is not to say I don't have future plans (months down the road atleast :D) ...

Anyways .... Should we open up Pre-Ordering again, or not? ... You guys be the judge ... Not entirely sure on Pricing But we are hoping to keep it under $100/for a full kit including atomizer/batteries/charger, etc...

Versatility is Key in the Protégé ...
For instance, those that are content with 3.7v ... Wanting batteries that last longer (IE: 510's, 901's, etc...)

Last edited:

CJsKee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma
Hi Steve...I've been keeping tract of all the Prodigy goings on and want to congratulate you all on it's success. I'm glad to see you are making a smaller version in the Protege, as I felt the Prodigy was just a little too big for me. What I'd like to know is how easy will the switch be to push. I have a mod now that the switch sometimes has to be pushed hard. I have problems with arthritis and sometimes it is very uncomfortable. And a quality product for under $100 would be excellent:thumb:. As for pre-order, maybe...maybe not :lol: You know how impatient we can be!! If you do decide on pre-orders, I sure would consider it.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
YES pre-order, and pre-order me one now!!!!!:D

lol medic ... if the design is finalized by the end of the week, and the majority of people find preordering ok, we may have it opened up by the end of the week (once cost and assembly analysis/compilations are complete)

Hi Steve...I've been keeping tract of all the Prodigy goings on and want to congratulate you all on it's success. I'm glad to see you are making a smaller version in the Protege, as I felt the Prodigy was just a little too big for me. What I'd like to know is how easy will the switch be to push. I have a mod now that the switch sometimes has to be pushed hard. I have problems with arthritis and sometimes it is very uncomfortable. And a quality product for under $100 would be excellent:thumb:. As for pre-order, maybe...maybe not :lol: You know how impatient we can be!! If you do decide on pre-orders, I sure would consider it.

Hey CJ ... Excellent question ... And I don't know how to answer this to be honest ... It is easy for me to push? absolutely yes ... We use a heavy duty tactile switch with a gram force rating of roughly (350-400) and a longer throw ... Not like your standard pushbutton switches ...

With that said ... I don't know. Button placement is nice, because you can either use your thumb or index finger. I wonder if there is anyone else in your shoes who currently owns either a PS USBpass or Prodigy. The switches we use on all 3 are the exact same (plastic is a bit different) But force is the same .... Lets see if anyone else can chime in.

CJsKee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma
Hey CJ ... Excellent question ... And I don't know how to answer this to be honest ... It is easy for me to push? absolutely yes ... We use a heavy duty tactile switch with a gram force rating of roughly (350-400) and a longer throw ... Not like your standard pushbutton switches ...

With that said ... I don't know. Button placement is nice, because you can either use your thumb or index finger. I wonder if there is anyone else in your shoes who currently owns either a PS USBpass or Prodigy. The switches we use on all 3 are the exact same (plastic is a bit different) But force is the same .... Lets see if anyone else can chime in.

Thanks Steve...I'll keep an eye out here to see if anyone else pipes in.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Sounds like a great product! I like the specs, including the 3.7v configuration.

I voted to wait until 1 - 2 weeks from shipping to start taking pre-orders. A shorter window ought to avoid some of the confusion and frustration that the open ended pre-order process seems to have caused. Plus, the build up to the opening of the official pre-order period is valuable for creating buzz around the product.

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......
Sounds like a great product! I like the specs, including the 3.7v configuration.

I voted to wait until 1 - 2 weeks from shipping to start taking pre-orders. A shorter window ought to avoid some of the confusion and frustration that the open ended pre-order process seems to have caused. Plus, the build up to the opening of the official pre-order period is valuable for creating buzz around the product.
I agree and it gives people time to save there pennies. Im hoping to see voltage options with the v2. Im going to find out if they have smaller batteries so you can up the voltage. 3.7 volts just doesn't seem high enough to me. I would still get it even if it is only 3.7v.

gjrhine

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Sunny South Carolina
It seems I have noticed several minor design and manufacturing tool changes to the Prodigy in the last couple of weeks leading me to believe the version shipping now may be slightly improved from the first ones shipped. Is this an accurate assessment or have any changes really been insignificant? Do you feel a similar process may occur with the Protégé or it will be pretty much nailed from the beginning?

vinylmason

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2009
Dayton ,Ohio
I say no wait until you have stock , unless you need pre-orders to fund it
but with that said I want a prodigy ! and you don't even have those stocked yet or pre-orders filled get the prodigy sorted out before undertaking a waiting period for this .

I have to agree Tommy,Im not standing in that line lol

Cayman

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I say no wait until you have stock , unless you need pre-orders to fund it
but with that said I want a prodigy ! and you don't even have those stocked yet or pre-orders filled get the prodigy sorted out before undertaking a waiting period for this .

+1 (I agree with this statement)

fiddler

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
New York City
my thoughts on the V2, if you are going to produce and sell the device, why not some testing first?
would it be that big of a deal to produce 10 or 20 of them, ship them out to some lucky PS customers, let them review it, catch any flaws, suggest any improvements?

I second that idea. Have a "beta testers raffle" or just choose a lucky bunch and get their reactions before full production.

And Yes! I volunteer!

Kimmberlee

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2008
MI
Hi Steve,

Well I just went ahead and ordered the Prodigy and am excited to get it. I am already feeling the anxiety of if it will arrive before I go on vacation on July 23rd. That is where the level's of frustration come in because everyone wants to be able to order it and get it within a week. That in turn creates people repeatedly emailing Casey for updates hoping that somehow she has some magical pixie dust to make things happen faster.

I have to say that I think it would be great if you posted the design on your website as soon as you can so people can see it. It is always exciting to see new products.... especially since they are MADE IN THE USA!!!! YAY!!!

As far as taking pre-orders that is a tough one... it seems to have caused you and Casey a lot of grief having to answer continuous emails, forums etc.... & people becoming downright impatient.

Personally I appreciate that you waited to make sure the quality of the product was up to your standards. If you can promise true delivery times then I think your life and Casey's will be much easier.

Your company was the first that I ordered from when I started into the E-cig adventure and have always appreciated the great customer service and quality of product. :)

It would also be nice if you could have a video on your website that shows a demonstration of the product as soon as you have the device in your hands. I think that you would get a lot of newbies that may order it if they understood it better. It is extremely foreign looking to those that are just entering into the e-cig world.

Overall I am thinking if you show a picture of the device on your website and take pre-orders 1 -2 weeks out and can deliver on time then you should be all set and won't have to deal with so much controversy.

Thank you again for all the hard work and PLEASE keep the ejuice in stock. You are my favorite to order from. :thumb:

tvujec

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Anyways .... Should we open up Pre-Ordering again, or not? ... You guys be the judge ... Not entirely sure on Pricing But we are hoping to keep it under $100/for a full kit including atomizer/batteries/charger, etc...
Absolutely! Just post it with a disclaimer: "I am not promising any dates, order at your own risk, refunds available before shipping. Any dates posted in any online forums besides the dates on this site don't mean anything." This way no one will be able to complain about delays while I can order mine and forget about it knowing that I'll get it first.
Seriously, why not, I'll happily give money earlier knowing that there will be one available for me in the first batch. So if you don't enable pre-order on the site, please consider accepting reservations in some other way, I don't want to stand in line on the day of the launch.

capeangler

Dec 8, 2008
Steve ,

I like the idea of the 3.7v option ,, call me crazy but there are times I prefer the lower voltage compared to the higher voltage .

I think that if you state the terms of the the pre-order terms and conditions (disclaimers as mentioned earlier) and then use your web site for order status updates, I for one would like to see the pre-orders start as soon as You think it is appropriate. You have always proven to us that you put customer satisfaction as a top priority,, I trust that you will continue to make great decisions.
Question: will the same batteries be able to be run in both the prodigy and the protege? I.e can I run a (2)900mah the prodigy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread