Not open for further replies.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
Reporting on the enameled nichrome after a few weeks of dedicated use:

Still works great. I've done four wicks with it and still haven't had a problem. I finally swapped out a wire because it had gotten junky. Wrapped a new one and had no trouble whatsoever.
Is that wire pre enameled, or did you coat it after cooling?

jubal81

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
nc
I take it you are using these with SS Mesh wicks.

Have you attempted any dry burning?

Thanks for sharing your results!

I haven't done any dry burning. A dry burn gets 10X hotter than normal vaping and goes beyond the listed heat limit of the coating. However, I don't really see any reason to dry burn. The coil is much, much less prone to gunking up and when it does I just wrap on a new one. Takes seconds.

When I wrap a new coil I do a 'wet burn' for 3 or 4 cycles to get the 'new wire funk smell' off. It's ungodly and I highly recommend doing a few sniff tests during the wet burn before vaping.

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
So how many wraps are you coming up with? ohms? a pic maybe? This sounds intriguing. Do you happen to have a link to a wire source? Curious how expensive it is.

I haven't done any dry burning. A dry burn gets 10X hotter than normal vaping and goes beyond the listed heat limit of the coating. However, I don't really see any reason to dry burn. The coil is much, much less prone to gunking up and when it does I just wrap on a new one. Takes seconds.

When I wrap a new coil I do a 'wet burn' for 3 or 4 cycles to get the 'new wire funk smell' off. It's ungodly and I highly recommend doing a few sniff tests during the wet burn before vaping.

jubal81

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
nc
I found some 29 gauge enameled nichrome on eBay. It was 30 feet for about $10. I measure off about 5 inches, use a hobby knife to scrape the coating off one end for the ground lug, attach, do a really tight wrap of about 8 or 9 turns, eyeball where the contact with the SS wick will end, scrape off coating for positive post and screw down.

They've been coming in at 1.8-2.1 ohms. I'm pretty sloppy because it's supposed to be a time/effort saver. I don't do anything to the SS wick aside from rolling it up.

photo.jpg

Here's a link to some of the same stuff on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=enameled+nichrome&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I found some 29 gauge enameled nichrome on eBay. It was 30 feet for about $10. I measure off about 5 inches, use a hobby knife to scrape the coating off one end for the ground lug, attach, do a really tight wrap of about 8 or 9 turns, eyeball where the contact with the SS wick will end, scrape off coating for positive post and screw down.

They've been coming in at 1.8-2.1 ohms. I'm pretty sloppy because it's supposed to be a time/effort saver. I don't do anything to the SS wick aside from rolling it up.

View attachment 162486

Here's a link to some of the same stuff on eBay.
enameled nichrome | eBay

There's also some enameled 27 ga. of apparently higher resistance...8.47 Ohms/ft...something like that.

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
That looks like totally awesome stuff. I'm not convinced that the seller really understands gauge and thickness though. By the described gauge and thickness the 29 would be quite a bit higher resistance than the 27, or at least that's how I'm reading it. Am I wrong? Maybe he got them mixed up? Hmmm, maybe I'm not understanding the 'dim' part of the equation...

Appreciate the info jubal81.

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
It could be that the 27 ga. is a different material makeup vs. the 29 ga. or it could be an error. I guess I'll find out in a couple of days...

I emailed the eBay seller regarding the 27 ga., ~8 Ohm/ft. Nichrome and received the following reply.

Thank you for your interest in our wire. It has been checked and rechecked, This subject has came up before, it was checked using ohms law after actual current measuements and useing a HP 3455A VOM in 4 wire mode, and the reason that it reads that way is because the wire is a special mix. Many years ago I had a hand in the design of a heat element used in a crock pot. I bought this wire made this way. If you are not satified in anyway with the wire please return it, or if you are unsure of our specs. I will be glad to reverse the sale.
Regards
E.Fredrich

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
If someone is interested in a bulk purchase, here's a link to some surplus coated wire. The "18 Spools" listing is for 32 AWG at 10.44 Ohms/ft. If my calculations are somewhere in the ballpark, it figures to be ~15,000 ft. per spool at a cost of about $2.50 per 100 feet.

NICHROME WIRE - FOR SALE

jubal81

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
nc
If your going for coated wire then this stuff is probably foodgrade and might lessen initial toxic fuming. The max range is 500 to 600 F. Definitely wouldn't want to do a dry burn! Realistically unimaginable to never run dry...just sayin...not tryin to rain on the parade :?:

Nichrome Sealing Wire Teflon® Coated to Prevent Sticking | Applied Plastics

No-stick wick? Now we're talkin'.
I can't speak for how others will use the coated wire, but I put it through about three weeks of dedicated use so far and haven't had any problems.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I emailed the eBay seller regarding the 27 ga., ~8 Ohm/ft. Nichrome and received the following reply.

Thank you for your interest in our wire. It has been checked and rechecked, This subject has came up before, it was checked using ohms law after actual current measuements and useing a HP 3455A VOM in 4 wire mode, and the reason that it reads that way is because the wire is a special mix. Many years ago I had a hand in the design of a heat element used in a crock pot. I bought this wire made this way. If you are not satified in anyway with the wire please return it, or if you are unsure of our specs. I will be glad to reverse the sale.
Regards
E.Fredrich

Further followup...

Your welcome, I have had more than one question about it, it does vary .01 ohms/ft or so depending on temperature, I have found, and of course the readings were done at room temp so its going to change when you heat it up. It makes nice low voltage heat elements and the coating is good well past 220 deg. F. It is packed and ready for the post office to pick up.
Earl

bert1983

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2010
CO USA
www.trippytips.com
If your going for coated wire then this stuff is probably foodgrade and might lessen initial toxic fuming. The max range is 500 to 600 F. Definitely wouldn't want to do a dry burn! Realistically unimaginable to never run dry...just sayin...not tryin to rain on the parade :?:

Nichrome Sealing Wire Teflon® Coated to Prevent Sticking | Applied Plastics

I would not use anything with Teflon for vaping purposes. When Teflon Burns it releases vapors very similar to military grade nerve gas...

http://m.wisegeek.org/is-teflon-dangerous.htm

I would also like to know what enamel is made of before potentially ingesting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread