The Quitting Dichotomy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
Mt. Baldy, CA USA
Here's something I've noticed: We, as a "special interest group" if you will, deride sellers who tout ecigs as a quit-smoking device.

At the same time, however, many of us (myself included) brag about how easy ecigs make quitting analogs.

It's interesting the way we've managed to compartmentalize these two ideas. On the one hand we want to protect our little secret from government regulation and from ecigs being declared medical devices and juice being eclared a drug, so we insist that they not be referred to as a method of quitting. On the other, we often revel in the fact that esmoking has completely and painlessly replaced analog smoking in our lives. Witness the number of "quit-o-meters" included in people's signatures.

It's a fairly schizophrenic way to exist. Just sayin'

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
e cigs are the best way of getting off real cigs.. the sellers no longer have to say this because the potential buyers already know what an e cig is for..

i think as long as the sellers dont make the claims it makes it harder for e cigs to be targeted.. banning the sale of e cigs on the pretense of false claims is one form off official attack...

my take on this is simple.. come the start of 2009 so much sh-t is gonna be hitting the fan e cigs are gonna be the last thing on the minds of the powers that be..

as yet the masses aint quite aware of whats going on... soon they will be.. thats your "real" schizophrenia dale..

trog

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Are we talking the collapse of civilization here?

I saw a book on that the other day. I surely agree the world is chin-deep in doo-doo, Trog. Not just the U.S. or the U.K. or even China. Name your country and chances are good it's gasping for economic stability.

I hope you're right about e-cigs. This morning, we read a report that the FDA, in a rare move, lab tested some Internet-sold diet drugs and issued warnings against purchase, a step before a ban. The diet drugs contained controlled and/or dangerous drugs. Same could happen here tomorrow with e-liquids. We'd have no advance notice.

And Dale, it's the FTC in the States that will chase down any "quit smoking" claim, demanding proof. There is none. Anecdotes are not proof. Make no claim that can't be backed by clinical trial proof. We know nothing, really. We have "stories." Sellers need to forego using "quit smoking" as a lure.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
Are we talking the collapse of civilization here?

kind of bob.. more like the failure of the stuff we call money.. not from a book more like a study and evaluation of whats going on around me...

when the new year gets here so will the bad news.. systemic world collapse has knocked off for the holidays... he he one more symbolic big collapse praps the big three US car giants (they are intended to) and it will hit the fan..

should i mention this.. praps not but i find it hard not to.. it will have some effect on possible e cig legislation.. he he he

trog

ohioguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2008
Madison, Indiana USA
Don’t forget, the post we read here are mostly from those who like e-cigs. For everyone who talks about how easy it is to quit or cut down, there may be two or more people who tried, and didn’t like the e-cig. Someone who doesn’t like the e-cig isn’t likely to stick around to bash the product on an e-cig board. It seems like we build the thing up like it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread, but for many it might not be.

For example the first poster talks about how easy it was to quit. I am on day two with the product and I don’t see any miracles yet. I am highly motivated, and not giving up on the e-cig, but just because everyone on this board loves e-cigs doesn’t mean, everyone who tries an e-cig will like it. They are not for everybody. I think we should be cautious on telling interested people “just buy an e-cig and it will be easy to quit smoking”.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Ohioguy, I agree that it's not necessarily going to be that easy for everybody. But, I think a lot has to do with the quality and perfomance of the device.

I first tried a regular penstyle almost a year ago, with high hopes it would help me quit. I lasted about two weeks, and then went right back to smoking. It was the inconsistency of the vapor, having to constantly top up a cartridge that didn't seem to soak up more than a drop or two, and my ignorance of the importance of having a freshly charged battery in the production of vapor that did it in for me.

Flash forward to mid-October of this year, and I tried again - really needing to stop smoking. This time I started reading here, and got myself some good devices. Namely, a Janty manual switch/USB battery and a screwdriver. Haven't smoked since October 17, and it was really easy this time! Now I have extra batteries and an adapter for my screwdriver so I can use a penstyle atomizer, and I'm in heaven. Always plenty of vapor, and when I top off the cartridge it's apparent that the liquid is getting used up efficiently - I can usually get 10-13 drops in! The SD has truly been a lifesaver for me, and the Janty, well, that will sit around as an emergency backup.

Liberate_Yourself

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
U.S.
www.smokeliberation.com
As a supplier.. I would never market the device as a quitting aid, for more reasons than just the obvious Government regulation. I don't think that there has been enough real-world testing on the devices, and they too quirky to keep the interest of every user. The learning curve alone has been enough to get a huge number of people running back to their analogs. Although, those that stick to it usually get the hang of it and learn to love these little devices.

I, myself, have been able to successfully switch over from analogs. I also know a number of people that shared my success. On the other hand, I know many people that could never get the hang of it and their ecig now sits in their pen cup or in a drawer, unused.

To be SOLD as a quit smoking device, it would have to be a whole lot more efficient and reliable. But from one person to another, telling them about your own personal experiences is perfectly ok in my eyes. I have been asked in many emails if one can expect to quit if they buy the product, and I tell them that it is possible, but don't expect a miracle.. it is up to the user, not the product. I also tell them about my personal experiences, and I don't candy coat the fact that the urges are still there sometimes.

If you really look at it.. Nobody is actually quitting smoking. We still smoke our "digital" cigarettes, so what is different besides the health risks, and the burning tobacco vs. vaporizing a flavored liquid with some contents derived from tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread