Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Yea, I actually started this tread! :laugh: I've been trying to read up on rba's for my new VV Grand (and soon to be mini 2.1) and the more I read the more confused I get! If anyone else feels this way, or if someone knowledgeable in these matters can answer a few (or more) questions, please jump right in!
1) Is it neccesary to install a rubber o-ring in catchcup for Mod to feed into rba ?
2) Are there any arcing/ shorting hazards between the coil and other parts of the rba ?
3) Does the wick need to be submerged entirely or partially ?
4) Why differnet Kanthal (other than personal taste ?)
5) Why different Wicking materials (other than personal taste ?)
6) From durability standpoint, which RBA are better ?
7) Which RBA are genuine quatlity and which are cheap knock-offs ?
8) Is "Trust Rob" the best way to go for someone as confused as I can be at times ?
I've read that there is a certain skill level needed to rebuild RBA's. Trust me, that's not a concern. It just seems like all of the sudden everyone has become 'experts' (I hate that word) on a gazillion RBA's from around the planet. Me, I just would like some good advice. Thanks.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Yea, I actually started this tread! :laugh: I've been trying to read up on RBA's for my new VV Grand (and soon to be mini 2.1) and the more I read the more confused I get! If anyone else feels this way, or if someone knowledgeable in these matters can answer a few (or more) questions, please jump right in!
1) Is it neccesary to install a rubber o-ring in catchcup for Mod to feed into RBA
Not necessary but a great idea so you don't over tighten and crush the gasket in the catch cup.
2) Are there any arcing/ shorting hazards between the coil and other parts of the RBA ?

Yes, don't want the coil to touch the cap, base or coils themselves come in contact with posts. No metal to metal except legs into holes.

Not submerged, just kept good and wet by squonking. Submerged wick is ok, but submerging coil will result in gurgle cool vape.

Lower numbers = less resistance. I like 30 ga. It's thicker than 32. Mostly personal preference.

People like different materials because they claim that they have different lifespans with different types of juice and some people claim better flavor with this or that. I like rolled cotton. I have also seen too many MSDS on silica. It ain't good to inhale it. Cotton is just too easy.

In my experience:

Best = chalice

Good = hornet / era

See above. Both are genuine quality.

8) Is "Trust Rob" the best way to go for someone as confused as I can be at times ?
I've read that there is a certain skill level needed to rebuild RBA's. Trust me, that's not a concern. It just seems like all of the sudden everyone has become 'experts' (I hate that word) on a gazillion RBA's from around the planet. Me, I just would like some good advice. Thanks.

I do trust Robs and other REOnauts opinions. They are all here to help, but I still also try some of my own stuff too.

See above for my responses.

Last edited by a moderator:

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
REALLY good job of answering those questions, super_X_drifter!!! That pretty much covers the basics. It's hard to answer questions that require opinions. You'll get as many opinions as you have answers. We are all fairly (few months) new to the RBA phenomenon and are all in the process of forming and revising our own opinions. Not to mention the fact that just about the time we each find the ONE RBA that is the VERY BEST (in our own opinion).....another one comes on the market and we all have to try it then revise our opinions again. It's a process.

I can only imagine how confusing it all SEEMS to someone who didn't start at the beginning, but for some of us who jumped on the RBA wagon when the first one came available, or for those who have already had some experience with rebuildable attys....just not the ones for bottom-feeders, it's not quite as bad. Hang in there.

Northernshrink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
Bracebridge Ont Canada
I was like you Papa overwhelmed by all the info out there what worked best for me was getting my hands on my first RBA. I'm more of a hands on person I grabbed a cpl Reomizers and some different wire and wicks to tinker with it was much easier than all the reading. I would if you can wait for Rob to put the new one out. I have 3 Reomizers and 2 Era's I find the Era's a bit better but not really 40 bucks a piece better.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
See above for my responses.

Thank you, sir, for your answers. This may sound piddling to RBA users, but I've been using Kanger T3's for about six months now and I always just take out the silica and replace with cotton twine fibers (I use 100% cotton twine in my vegetable garden) simply because I think it tastes better. Might just go ahead and pull the trigger on that Hornet tonight!

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I agree with Northernshrink. You'll learn SO MUCH more by actually playing with one. And I would (at this point) wait for Rob's new V2 to come out.

If you want a really basic video about wrapping a coil and attaching it to a rebuildable, there's a video on the reosmods.com site that Rob made and it's excellent to see how the basics work. Basically, you get your wire, you wrap it around a wick, you attach it to the positive and negative posts, you screw it into your REO, and you vape. Everything in between is subjective. Different sized wire performs a little differently, different wicking materials are very much personal preference, o-rings are optional depending on the atty, etc. It's not as hard as we might make it seem when we're talking details.

EDIT: The Hornet is a sweet little RBA and once you get it, you'll be amazed at how all this gibberish will make sense. :)

Last edited:

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Keep it simple and you will do just fine once you own one for a while you will see theirs nothing to it . If you have common sense rbas are a piece of cake .

This is a video of the first rba I modded . I will do a new one with more detail for my new rba I should have ready in a week or two .

Last edited by a moderator:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I was like you Papa overwhelmed by all the info out there what worked best for me was getting my hands on my first RBA. I'm more of a hands on person I grabbed a cpl Reomizers and some different wire and wicks to tinker with it was much easier than all the reading. I would if you can wait for Rob to put the new one out. I have 3 Reomizers and 2 Era's I find the Era's a bit better but not really 40 bucks a piece better.

Old Broads words (loosely) (and I think she doesn't give herself credit for her competent capabilities but she does kid a lot).... "If I can do it anybody can." :laugh:

Well said guys and gals.

Hugs, Feisty Alice

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I went ahead a pulled the trigger on that SS bottomfeed Hornet, then came back and saw Rob's video. Man, he made that look easy! (and your hands look as old as mine Rob. That ain't good :laugh:). Off to the website to start looking over the mini 2.1's. AND I'll still be looking foreward to the new ROEMizer. My wife just shakes her head and mubbles something about "trading one habit for another" since vaping is how I quit smoking nine months ago. :)

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
As far as different wicking material...... There may be some validity to the fear of silica wick BUT there are different quality silica wicks. Some fray and unravel and let off tiny to microscopic pieces of silica that we really should avoid inhaling into our lungs and on the opposite end there are silica wicks that keep intact for weeks without shedding. I haven't personally identified which of the wicks I have accumulated that are on the very good end. Just haven't had the time. But several I've recieved, in bulk or on stock coils have been shoddy they basically start shedding when first used and/or when handling to rewick/recoil. A few have been excellent. I know people might be tired of my raving about the Killer 705 but one thing I can really testify to is whatever wick he, Leo, is using has been on the furtherest side of excellent for non shedding. I really need to find out what wick he uses.

As far as natural wicks...... I have tried several and the taste and performance has been most favorable, as long as the material is boiled well to remove sizing first. The only reason I don't use natural wicks is because my few juices gunk up coils so quickly most usually, in the very least a daily dryburn is needed. You can't do a dryburn with natural wicks. I've been vaping since mid 2010 and I've tried just about every atty and carto available........ they all gunk!!!! And I'm not changing my juices, the very few i can tolerate. I became a master atty cleaner and dryburner early on. After 2-4 days any atty had to be cleaned and dryburned. The early Joy 510 were made so well I had some in rotation after a year because I maintained and stored them properly. Can't say that for most production attys now days though. Hench the beauty of RBAs.

Hugs, Feisty Alice

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I went ahead a pulled the trigger on that SS bottomfeed Hornet, then came back and saw Rob's video. Man, he made that look easy! (and your hands look as old as mine Rob. That ain't good :laugh:). Off to the website to start looking over the mini 2.1's. AND I'll still be looking foreward to the new ROEMizer. My wife just shakes her head and mubbles something about "trading one habit for another" since vaping is how I quit smoking nine months ago. :)

Well, this habit may cost you some money, but that other habit (that you gave up nine months ago) will KILL ya. Pick your poison.....

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Yea, I actually started this tread! :laugh: I've been trying to read up on RBA's for my new VV Grand (and soon to be mini 2.1) and the more I read the more confused I get! If anyone else feels this way, or if someone knowledgeable in these matters can answer a few (or more) questions, please jump right in!
1) Is it neccesary to install a rubber o-ring in catchcup for Mod to feed into RBA ?

RBAs with side airhole, yes. RBAs with bottom air intake (A7, for example), no

2) Are there any arcing/ shorting hazards between the coil and other parts of the RBA ?

Yes. Try to not have them touch.

Partially. If you submerge the coil, you'll get a very weird nasty vape

Lower gauge (thicker) wire has less resistance. With soft wicks (cotton/silica), less wire generally means less vapor, since there's less of the heating surface. With hard wicks (stainless steel/ceramic), thicker wire seems to work better.

Also, thicker wire coils will generally last longer

Silica is soft and burn proof. Provides less flavor, and there's a debate on its potential health hazards.
Cotton is soft, comes in different kinds, softer and bendier than silica, and provides very clean flavor. Wicks very fast. However, once you accidentally burn it, you have to replace the wick.
Stainless steel is nigh indestructible, wicks very well, and gives very clean flavor. It's a pain to set up though, prone to shorts, not bendy, and requires very low resistance coils

From durability, I'd say A7, A7 mini, and something that escapes me (A7 mini cloned it). They're stainless steel.

Yes. It's also not a bad way to go for less confused people too.

If you want advice, try all kinds of different wick configurations and materials and see what you like. Some people swear by silica, and can't stand cotton. I'm the opposite. To each their own.
And, for the love of god, if you get any of the A7s, look up on how to fix its center pin. It's very easy, and will save you several Reo hot springs.

boilednuts

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
ALOHA STATE
Hi Brett, any new tech is always like this....something better will be rolling out soon enuf. I remember when ecigs first came out and the same thing happened. Then came the mods, same again. Like some have said, wait for the new Reomizer and have a go at it, nut because its gonna be the best but for around $38 I think its cheap for what it will do. Believe me, Rob's customer service is worth the price alone...nut many will go as far as he does in making it "right" if you run into problems. A $160 rba costs more than a REO Grand, will it last as long, or be 4x better than the new Reomizer? Time will tell and you've got the time I would think. Wires and wicks are cheap enuf to change out so nut so much of a problem. After a year or so things should settle down quite a bit and be more conducive to finding a decent rba for its price. For the mini 2.1 I would suggest some sort of short protection besides the spring. Just my :2c:

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
I had the same questions you did, so what I am going to do is wait for Rob to build his and get that.

Good plan. At about $38 a piece you can get two for the price of one hornet. I wouldn't want to have just one. I like having a backup ready to go. While you're waiting order some kanthal wire, in bulk. The little lengths you get from ecig vendors is not enough. They are in business to sell other things, not wire. The following link is for 100' of 30awg. The 30 awg is kinda middle of the road size-wise. You can't go wrong for 100' for $8 shipped.
Kanthal A1 Wire 30 Gauge 100 ft 0 39oz Resistance Resistor AWG A 1 | eBay

I wouldn't invest in pre-made coil/wicks. They are too easy to make. The first one I made probably took me 10 minutes to make and install, and then inspect while trying to understand if I did it correctly. A couple of nights ago I made and installed seven on three different types of RBA's and it took less than 10 minutes to do all of them. It takes longer to get out the supplies and put them away than it does to actually make them.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Hi Brett, any new tech is always like this....something better will be rolling out soon enuf. I remember when ecigs first came out and the same thing happened. Then came the mods, same again. Like some have said, wait for the new Reomizer and have a go at it, nut because its gonna be the best but for around $38 I think its cheap for what it will do. Believe me, Rob's customer service is worth the price alone...nut many will go as far as he does in making it "right" if you run into problems. A $160 rba costs more than a REO Grand, will it last as long, or be 4x better than the new Reomizer? Time will tell and you've got the time I would think. Wires and wicks are cheap enuf to change out so nut so much of a problem. After a year or so things should settle down quite a bit and be more conducive to finding a decent rba for its price. For the mini 2.1 I would suggest some sort of short protection besides the spring. Just my :2c:

"Short protection besides the spring." Will a defective coil short out a mechanical mod ? just asking....

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com

Great choice. The hornet was my first RBA way back when I started RBing A's about 2 months ago. Before that, I figured it was way above my head and thought my cartos worked fine. It was so easy to coil and wick a hornet. Like others have said, understanding the basics and use of common sense (and a good magnifying light) is all that is required.

Once I started I was hooked. HOOKED I tell you.

You will also notice that a good RBA, such as a hornet holds its value. There are no moving parts so the only ways to break em is accident or stupidity.

Here's my 2c on silica. There are no debates on its dangers. There may be debates here on ECF, But in the world outside, it's a fact. It is not a good substance to inhale. That's why I quit smoking, to reduce bad sh_it going into my lungs. Cotton on the other hand is very user friendly, no taste and if you happen to singe the wick, just squonk and keep on vaping. Unless you burnt it (like on fire) but you would have to endure a few nasty dry hits before you ever caught on fire.

My suggestion is to build your coil on a drill bit (I use 1/16" and about 10 winds of 30 ga Kanthal) put it in, then slide your cotton rope thru. Can't get no freakin simpler! Check out the thread called "share your wick and coil setups for your REO, or my personal favorite, "micro coil for the RBA on your REO" that one was created by a real douche bag, but those little coils kick ....

As the papa bird said to his little fledgeling: You can and will suck seed son. Rock on Brett!

Last edited:

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
"Short protection besides the spring." Will a defective coil short out a mechanical mod ? just asking....

Yes....a defective coil can short out a mechanical mod. Maybe order a couple of springs from the Reosmods site to have just in case.

And....I've tried bamboo....and I like it. It's in my top 2 or 3 wicks; I use organic cotton balls more often because it's just so fast and easy. I have a couple of sizes (#3 and #10) of bamboo.

I make this offer to anyone who's interested: I'd be very happy to send you some samples of about 5-6 different types of 100% cotton yarn, crochet thread, embroidery thread, some bamboo (both sizes), some 100% natural hemp, some organic cotton balls, some 100% cotton candlewick.....and I'll tell you where I get them locally or on the net.

Just PM me your address.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread