The real reason for hard draw on 401 atty's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Well I have tried several things to make the draw a little easier, and none have really been effective. I have tried making the hole in the mouthpiece slightly bigger, but no real effect. This is also not a good idea, because if you cut open a mouthpiece, you will see a small extension tube that keeps the inner cart from being pushed to far down. Enlarging the mouthpiece hole can ruin that.
It is NOT caused by the small space between the inner cart and mouthpiece as some have mentioned. I say this, because drawing on it with, or without the inner cart is very close. I have also tried the notches on the inner cart and again, no difference in the draw.
I finally realized the limiting factor is the tiny hole on the battery side of the atty. So I figured if that was a little larger, the draw would be much better.

So with the atty in a small vise, I set up the drill press to limit the hole depth so as not to screw up the guts of the atty. I managed to get the hole mostly drilled, but realized that the positive atty connection (where the hole is), was spinning around. It's only held in place by a tiny plastic grommet which doesn't hold it tight enough to drill out, with out it spinning around.
Long story short. The spinning of the internal positive connector tore the wires and killed the atty. BUT even though the atty doesn't work, the draw is much better compared to my other 401 atty's. So even knowing what the problem is. There still is no real way to correct it, except during the manufacturing process. :mad:

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
There is no way to file it. So I changed the belt on the Drill Press to run at a higher speed, figuring that would cut the resistance, and should drill through much easier.
So now, another atty at risk, but this time, with the higher drill speed, there was no problem enlarging the hole. The bit cut thru it like butter. The atty still works perfectly, but sadly there is only a very slight increase on the draw. Almost imperceptible, although it does appear to put out a bit more vapor now.

In conclusion, it's not worth the risk to try this, since the difference is negligible. :(

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
My M401 has a good draw. It also has a very nice 8 second cutoff. While I use this device rarely, it seems to perform very well. I use the 401 as an emergency backup or when running out for a quick errand or to walk the dogs.

If you are finding the 401 is not satisfying one or more aspects of your vaping experience, perhaps you might want to look at another vaping device. I like big vapor and throat hit. Look at my signature below to see the devices that meet my vaping specifications.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
There is no way to file it. So I changed the belt on the Drill Press to run at a higher speed, figuring that would cut the resistance, and should drill through much easier.
So now, another atty at risk, but this time, with the higher drill speed, there was no problem enlarging the hole. The bit cut thru it like butter. The atty still works perfectly, but sadly there is only a very slight increase on the draw. Almost imperceptible, although it does appear to put out a bit more vapor now.

In conclusion, it's not worth the risk to try this, since the difference is negligible. :(

I've found that regular cleaning of the attny inner threads and battery threads with a clean paper towel works wonders for draw. The black stuff that rubs off must somehow inhibit the electrical current and it does build up after a few carts' worth. Not sure if my use of VG as a cutting agent is the reason or if it's just simple oxidation.

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
Barnet UK
There still is no real way to correct it, except during the manufacturing process. :mad:
Needle file & a precise stroke
I've found that regular cleaning of the attny inner threads and battery threads with a clean paper towel works wonders for draw. The black stuff that rubs off must somehow inhibit the electrical current and it does build up after a few carts' worth. Not sure if my use of VG as a cutting agent is the reason or if it's just simple oxidation.
A cotton bud & some clear alcohol does the trick quite nicely (don't forget to do your battery connectors while you're at it) & does make the draw lighter (compared to a dirty one)

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
My bf has a Dragon 401. I've never been able to use it because of the hard draw. However, on a whim (because he likes whistletips) he put an 801 whistle tip on the Dragon to avoid juicing. He had found out earlier using a whistle tip from a analog cigar kept the juice out of his mouth.

Anyhow, for some reason, I don't know if it redirects the airflow or what, but I now have no problem using the Dragon. It is still a bit harder of a draw than my Blucig or Vapre51, but I'm getting great hits from it.

Just something you might try.

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
The attys from different suppliers must be totally different. I got a few from RMV and there is almost no resistance to the air flow. I actually built a box mod for the 401's from a 510 atty that died. On a box mod you really don't want the juice to get inside the box so I soldered the center pole hole closed when I attached the wire inside. Big mistake, it had no draw at all. The holes by the threads do nothing on my mod at all, even though the 510 atty is a perfect match for the 401. I had to pull the center pole out again and remove the solder but having done that it has a draw as close to an analog as I have seen. After a few weeks of direct dripping it does seem to clog up a little but after a PGA soak it is back to the same no resistance draw.

It is funny that I only ordered the 401's because they match the 510 atty and would make good connectors for a 510 mod. After using one for a while I find it has the easiest draw of all my stuff, so good that I don't even use any of my 510's at all. For only 7.00 shipped I will not be using them for 510 connectors but will replace them when the first one dies with more. It may be that I cut the end off of the cart and threw away the inner cart that makes it such an easy draw or the fact that the center hole is large enough to slide most of a toothpick into but the atties that I have are by far the best draw of any that I have, including all my 510's.

Bjorn Toulouse

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Glasgow
I don't think its just the attie. I think the two worst culprits for a bad draw are

1. the battery
2. the amount of juice in the cart (if you are using a cart)

how many of you have killed a battery or pass through buy getting juice into the battery compartment where the sensor is?

the hole in the attie lines up with the hole in the battery. The air that enters comes from two places.

1. the tiny hole on the battery (and prior to that the slots on the attie)
2. any flow from the top of the battery where the led is.

I dont think any air is drawen through the threads, but when I get home I can test this with a little upv tape.

IMHO.

flow path

1. slots in attie
2. through hole in battery <------------------ main issue
3. through hole in centre of battery
4. through hole in attie
5. into vapourisation chamber
6. out into cart body via slots in inner cart <---- issue if you use inner cart
7. out of mouth piece via hole in cart body

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
If I draw on just a cart with no atty, there is almost no resistance. If I draw with cart + atty there's a ton. Adding the battery make no difference. I thought the battery would be the problem too, but it's definitely the atty.
I got some new ones lately and they have a very hard draw, not like the ones I had previously. I think it comes down to who manufactured it and there must be more then one.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
There was a thread a while back about fixing the bad draw on certain attys by running a needle up the battery hole. On some attys there is a stack of round pieces of mesh that have a hole in them... they can get out of alignment and that will cause a hard draw.

I KNOW that the 510 atty is not built this way... but I believe many others are.

Something to ponder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread