The Reality of Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassyonemeis

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Albany NY
After reading a post from a new member saying he promised his friend dying of lung cancer that he/she would quit smoking, and is tempted to go buy a pack of smokes, I am compelled to write my own story similar to this.

My dear friend is now dying from lung cancer. She was basically a life long smoker. She battled lung cancer several years ago, losing half of one of her lungs. Then she got throat cancer from getting treatments for the lung cancer. Now she has lung cancer again, in both of her lungs AND brain cancer. They started a treatment regimen only to find that she cant survive the treatments and she wont survive this bout of cancer. They cannot operate at all and she cant survive treatments. This has been going on since October 2010. To say it has been hell would be one of the greatest understatements of all time.

This was a huge wake up call for me... HUGE. To watch someone you love waste away so slowly and painfully is torturous and agonizing. To KNOW that it is due to smoking those God-forsaken tobacco cigarettes is haunting and nightmare inducing. I smoked for 28 years, that is over half of my life. What praytell has those evil sticks done to me that has yet to show up or rear its ugly head? What MORE damage was done to me when they added that RIP strip to my cigarettes? I definitely noticed increased trouble breathing after they added them among a few other things. Can any of that be offset by my quitting smoking? Is it too late? Will I worry about this for the rest of my life?

Now, I'm not saying that I am joining the fanatical anti-smoking crowd, but I now KNOW the true evils of cigarettes and will do whatever I can to keep people I care about from smoking. Why in the hell was I so stubborn and closed-minded to the facts about smoking the whole 28 years I was smoking? It makes me angry in hindsite. Angry at myself, and angry at BT for lying and doing everything they can to make them sooooooooo addictive and full of poisons, and why are there no healthy tobaccos? Peoples have been smoking tobacco for ages without all of these chemicals and poisons, why can we not have that now??

Of course these questions are not asked to be answered, it more of just a venting for me. I'm angry about smoking and all of the horrible and tragic damage it does to all those who smoke and is right now doing to my dear friend. For anyone who thinks they cant quit smoking.. open your mind and go look at pictures of lungs that have smoked for decades, and then ask yourself if it's really what you want. For truly, you dont want to witness someone you love, or yourself dying from this addiction to smoking tobacco. Remember the commercial that was on the TV years ago of the old lady with the hole in her throat because he had no voicebox left due to smoking, yet.. continued to smoke thru that hole in her neck YouTube - Woman Smokes Cigarette Through Hole in Her Neck - WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT. Be bigger than the addiction the next time you think you want to reach for a cigarette and at the very least replace the tobacco with vaping. Maybe, just maybe it wont be too late.

jivefly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
DS, La
Hey Sassy! I'm fairly new to the e cig scene, and I started on them a few months ago. I can count on both hands how many analog cigarettes I've had since then, and none in the past few days. I found myself wanting to go outside and smoke a stinky a few minutes ago, but decided to come read what other people are saying about quitting and trying to move on. Your story has touched my heart and really reminds me why I'm making this change in the first place. During my teens and early 20's I did HVAC (air conditioning repair) and with all the fiberglass and other carcinogens, combined with cigarettes since I was 14, a hospital visit due to blood in my sputum revealed in xrays that, and I'm quoting the doctor, "Your lungs look as if you've been a smoker for 40 years or more."

I was 24 at the time (3 years ago) and it scared the crap out of me, but obviously not enough, because I've been smoking since then. But just reading this has saved me from making that mistake tonight, and I'm just going to puff happily on my e cig. I got my lungs checked again recently by a different doctor and, and the xray tech and doctor both said that my lungs look just fine! Thank you so much for sharing. Strength in numbers!

- Chris

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Sorry about your friend.
I've lost two and working on a third.
I thank God every day that I no longer smoke, but, still, it worries me what I did to myself because I smoked for around forty years.
It irks me, but I don't say anything, when I try to tell someone about the e-cig and their reply is, "I heard about those things and they are worse than smoking."
How in God's name do they actually believe that???

starrynight

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
the galaxy
I am very sorry to hear that sassy, I know it's so hard. I am also watching a close family member fighting the battle of lung cancer. I smoked for 20 years and started to feel the effects (wheezing, shortness of breath, tightness in the chest). I am in my 30's and new if I didn't stop what my smoking would eventually become. Vaping has been a blessing and I am grateful that they were invented in our lifetime.

Your friend is lucky to have someone like you so caring in their life, and I am sure they know it.

pigelty

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2009
Long Island
Hey Sassy! I'm fairly new to the e cig scene, and I started on them a few months ago. I can count on both hands how many analog cigarettes I've had since then, and none in the past few days. I found myself wanting to go outside and smoke a stinky a few minutes ago, but decided to come read what other people are saying about quitting and trying to move on. Your story has touched my heart and really reminds me why I'm making this change in the first place. During my teens and early 20's I did HVAC (air conditioning repair) and with all the fiberglass and other carcinogens, combined with cigarettes since I was 14, a hospital visit due to blood in my sputum revealed in xrays that, and I'm quoting the doctor, "Your lungs look as if you've been a smoker for 40 years or more."

I was 24 at the time (3 years ago) and it scared the crap out of me, but obviously not enough, because I've been smoking since then. But just reading this has saved me from making that mistake tonight, and I'm just going to puff happily on my e cig. I got my lungs checked again recently by a different doctor and, and the xray tech and doctor both said that my lungs look just fine! Thank you so much for sharing. Strength in numbers!

- Chris

I feel similar to jivefly (chris). TG for ECF! Not only is it informative about news, reviews and advancements of PV's, but it also serves as our own "culture" and most importantly, a SUPPORT SYSTEM.

Just reading and reply to some of these forums each night is theraputic for me. Giving up tobacco is not an easy task. How many ex-smokers do we know that have been through some challenging times throughout their lives that will tell us "quitting smoking was the hardest things they ever had to do in their life"? Fact is, it's HARD.

Even though I have ZERO desire or craving for tobacco cigarettes (thanks to hypnotherapy) and use a PV daily (a great way to substitute the act/behavior itself), it's still a MAJOR change.

Sassy-
I am sorry for your friend's circumstances. My prayers.

Sassyonemeis

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Albany NY
Even though I also feel stupid, it doesnt make us stupid, it just makes us addicts. Like a true addict I was even in denial of being an addict. I am just so glad to finally be free from tobacco and all of the poisons in every cigarette. I feel so much better for it and maybe in a couple years, I will go get a shot of my lungs and see where I'm at. Honestly, I am too afraid to see now even though it would be good to have something to compare it to.

And my friend? She is thankful if even one person learns from her mistake, and I may be one person who did, but I doubt I am the only one.

Bootsand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2010
Ohio
You have my deepest condolences, Sassy. I can't possibly offer any words that can alleviate the pain of what you (and your friend) are going through, but I do thank you for your post. I've never known any one personally who's died of tobacco related causes, and all the commercials and statistics in the world pale in comparison to one first hand encounter of the deadliness of Big Tobacco.

My Riva 510 charger was lost a few days back, and after a year of being cigarette-free I've been smoking analogs for a week while waiting on my Darwin to arrive. I felt a little embarrassed to mention falling off the horse like this, but I'm mentioning it now to let you know that the pack of smokes that was sitting on my desk 5 minutes ago is now in the outside garbage. I have some lozenges that will get me by until my Darwin arrives today or tomorrow, and I'm ordering a back up Riva kit to ensure this does not happen again.

So thank you again for posting... and give your friend our best.

Sassyonemeis

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Albany NY
Please dont be embarrassed, it's an addiction that in fact is very hard to kick. I'm very proud of you for doing the right thing, you're right, you can be bigger than the addiction and "settle" for the losenges until your new kit arrives, I hope it's speedier than light itself.

I have not been without juice or a PV, so I cant speak from the experience of being without, but I can speak to what I WOULD do if something happened to all of my equip, I'd go to the nearest store and buy a disposable piece of crap or some patches or something and then immediately order new equip online with expedited delivery, something anything to get me by, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCE would I ever pick up another cigarette. I'm sooooooooo done with them and they will never enter my lungs again voluntarily by my hand.

Thanks for the well wishes and positive thoughts and prayers from ya'll. It is much appreciated, but more importantly, I hope that this story can help you and others to never go back to smoking. It's just not worth it... not even close.

Kevin2011

Mar 2, 2011
Tn.
Sorry to hear this Sassy,
I just received a phone call from a good friend of mine not 10 minutes after reading your post, and he informed me that his wife of over 40 years died yesterday from cancer, she was a great woman, I called my wife and told her that we need to get off of these analogs for good, they will definately KILL YOU. I been using E-Cigs for about 6 months now, and have cut waaay down, but I am going to make it a priority to get off them totally, and hopefully my wife will do so as well.
Good Luck and God Bless you all that are quiting these horrible analogs.

Kevin2011

Mar 2, 2011
Tn.
Sorry to hear this Sassy,
I just received a phone call from a good friend of mine not 10 minutes after reading your post, and he informed me that his wife of over 40 years died yesterday from cancer, she was a great woman, I called my wife and told her that we need to get off of these analogs for good, they will definately KILL YOU. I been using E-Cigs for about 6 months now, and have cut waaay down, but I am going to make it a priority to get off them totally, and hopefully my wife will do so as well.
Good Luck and God Bless you all that are quiting these horrible analogs.

mccawley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Oregon
Its never too soon to quit completely. 6 months after I switched to e-cigs and was feeling pretty damn good about myself I was diagnosed with Cancer. I thought I did the right thing by getting off them as soon as I had, suppose I could have got off them sooner!
You don't want to have to think "I could have got off 'em sooner", the thought haunts you.

achtungbaby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2011
St. Petersburg, Florida
Sassy thanks for sharing this story with us. Starry - I'm sorry to hear you're also going through a similar situation. I pray for both of you and your friends as well as all of us that somehow, someway became addicted to smoking and are now trying to turn it around.
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"
Philippians 4:13
*I do not wish to offend anyone w/scripture*

mccawley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Oregon
So freaking cute...... avatar55376_1.gif.jpg

MissKitty47

ECF Veteran
Sassy, please tell your friend that she has helped more people than she will ever know this side of Heaven. You are both in my prayers and may her transition be a peaceful and painless one. I was holding back on buying a 'real' PV for my son and daughter...$$ ya know, it always comes down to dollars. Well, this changed my mind. I am ordering them each an eGo PT, and several carto's and a tank system so they can decide which way they want to go from there. It will be money well spent if they can get off the sticks so young. A million thank you's won't do, but thank you...you've made a difference today!:thumbs:

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
It is so sad and I am so sorry this is happening to your friend.

In the US, when we have a loved one that is an animal, like our beloved pets, we can take them to our Vets and let them die easily and fast and without any pain. But do you suppose we can do that for our beloved human loved ones? If you were to mention this or suggest this, it might feel like half the world would attack you. Why is that? Does this make sense?

I have had loved ones suffer and die. I have had pets suffer and die. I have taken family pets to the Vets and have had them put to sleep, with no pain and with much love and respect.
If possible, I would have liked to honor my human loved ones with this privilege. When they beg you to help them die, what can you do or say? It is a terrible position to be in. What 'til your time comes and see how you feel.

I am grieved to hear of this persons suffering. The medical profession attests that she is and will die. So WHY oh WHY must she suffer and endure until that happens? Why? To me...THIS is what is inhuman. To let-allow-accept as fate the suffering of another human being to me is NOT human, but INhumane.

"This is only my belief and conviction and in NO way reflects the feelings or opinions of ECF or any of its member, tho they do exist."

jlarsen

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2011
Helena, MT
I just lost my grandfather to cancer 3 months ago. Bladder cancer, which they say is usually attributed to smoking, including people who smoked and quit a long time ago. My grandfather smoked for about 10 years, but gave it up about 40 years before his bladder cancer. According to the doctors and what I've read online, it was still do to his smoking earlier in life. Not to scare anyone, and whether or not that is true, I can't say. But watching someone die from cancer is quite awful.

Sassyonemeis

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Albany NY
Thank you all so much for the kind words, that will be passed on to my friend. She will be delighted to have touched so many and helped so many not pick up that cigarette they thought were craving.

I'm so proud of all of you for making the switch to a much healthier alternative and to the lady who has decided to put her childrens health above money... THANK YOU!!!! I really just cant thank you enough, and it brought a tear to my eye to know that you have reprioritized, and those couple of hundred bucks "saved" would forever be a gorilla on your back that you will not have to carry around now.

I have converted 8 people to vaping since I started vaping 2 months ago. It's not that I preach or lecture. I put mine in their hand and ask them to try it. I have given my 2nd setup to people for a day or more for them to try, encouraging them to discover that vaping is a perfect replacement for smoking, and a much healthier and tastier one at that. It has been working for me, and I will not stop. I will convert as many people as I can for as long as I live because I think it's the right thing to do. Most people dont even know what an e-cig is, yet most people who smoke are so sick and tired of being a slave to smoking, all they need is a way out and vaping is that way out. I have a few batts and extra atty's and tanks and share them freely to those I know who smoke. 8 people converted... this is good. If we can all convert 8 people.. or even 5... or even 3... think about it....

Always be kind and giving, life and the world are tough enough that we should look to lend a helping hand when we see someone in need. They dont NEED to ask, we should freely offer it, then, it is right :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread