The Really Big RY4 Roundup (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassnut

Crumby Jokes
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
If you're going to compare RY4s shouldn't Ruyan's RY4 be the standard?
Anything that deviates too much from that flavor should be called something else.
Improve it or put a slight accent spin on it one way or another, fine... but don't call it RY4 if it tastes like sugar-free pancake syrup.
Call it "pancakes" or "waffles" instead.

I've got bottles of FreedomSmokeUSA and Viking Vapor's so-called RY4. I find them both to be ......not RY4.
Dekang has been my favorite but I'm willing and now eager to try these other recommendations.
Thanks for the reviews!

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
If you're going to compare RY4s shouldn't Ruyan's RY4 be the standard?
Anything that deviates too much from that flavor should be called something else.
Improve it or put a slight accent spin on it one way or another, fine... but don't call it RY4 if it tastes like sugar-free pancake syrup.
Call it "pancakes" or "waffles" instead.

I've got bottles of FreedomSmokeUSA and Viking Vapor's so-called RY4. I find them both to be ......not RY4.
Dekang has been my favorite but I'm willing and now eager to try these other recommendations.
Thanks for the reviews!

I agree mostly. Ruyan (Dekang) created RY4, so they "should" be the standard against which we compare others. The problem with using the Ruyan formula and flavor as a benchmark is that, since the demise of the "original" RY4 in mid-2010, subsequent Dekang formulations and production runs have been wildly inconsistent---sometimes very good, sometimes not so hot. And with none of the original around anymore, vapers who loved it are left with only their memories of what it tasted like. Memory, too, is notoriously fallible. Still, I think your point is well-taken.

Ikenvape's RY4 Gold is supposedly a careful re-creation of Ruyan's original formula, but who knows for sure? I wasn't yet vaping when the original RY4 vanished, so I'm in no position to judge. All I'm certain of is that I really like the PG blend of IKV's RY4.

I also agree with you about FSUSA's version of RY4. Though many people like it a lot (I did at first, way back when), it's pretty far afield from any straight-ahead RY4 using the classic flavors of tobacco, caramel, and vanilla. But then, if they named it something else, they might not sell as much of it. LOL. I've never had any of Viking Vapor's juices, and---with my personal list of favorite juice vendors growing recently by leaps and bounds---I'm not likely to.

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Quick review of Quick nic Juice RY4.

As I am waiting for my OzarkFresh Kentucky Burley RY4, (as of Friday, they had 22 orders of it because of OP) I thought I would do a short review of Quick nic's RY4. It compares very closely to PrimeVaping's PV4. It has a slightly sweeter flavor, possibly a bit more caramel. The tobacco base is very similar to Vermillion River's Kentucky Premium Blend. It has a woody tobacco base. You can smell the second hand vape, which is a bit unusual. I would not suggest trying to stealth vape this juice. It tastes very good, and I would put it easily on the top half of the list. Personally, I would put it just above PV4 as I like the sweetness.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...um/192420-official-quick-nic-juice-thred.html

Now if I can just get my hands on the elusive BWB RY4.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Quick review of Quick nic Juice RY4.

As I am waiting for my OzarkFresh Kentucky Burley RY4, (as of Friday, they had 22 orders of it because of OP) I thought I would do a short review of Quick nic's RY4. It compares very closely to PrimeVaping's PV4. It has a slightly sweeter flavor, possibly a bit more caramel. The tobacco base is very similar to Vermillion River's Kentucky Premium Blend. It has a woody tobacco base. You can smell the second hand vape, which is a bit unusual. I would not suggest trying to stealth vape this juice. It tastes very good, and I would put it easily on the top half of the list. Personally, I would put it just above PV4 as I like the sweetness.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...um/192420-official-quick-nic-juice-thred.html

Now if I can just get my hands on the elusive BWB RY4.

Cool! I emailed Quick Nic to ask (politely and with some "aw, shucks" false humility) if they might send me a sample of their RY4, since one poster encouraged me to review it. Rich, the head juice chef at Quick Nic responded with a very kind email that said he had indeed read our RY4 Roundup thread here with great interest (though he can't post on the thread because he's a supplier), and that he'd happily send me a sample bottle. I'm bowled over by the generosity of some of these vendors!

Now, given your review, hangdude, I'm stoked to try out Quick Nic's RY4. Thanks for the review, and stay tuned!

ogredog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2011
fontana,Cali
I don't know how Halo's Tribeca stacks up to your list but its the only liquid I have that I wouldn't change a thing about.
I'm curious if any body has tried DIY FlavorShacks ry4. It came with a tiny bottle of caramel on the side, which I thought was weird. It kind of tastes like dirt was an ingredient.
The Want2Vape RockStar... I enjoy it every now and then.

Ya i was vaping diy flavorshack ry4 right now. It's better now than when I first tried it about a week ago. The flavor is starting to come out. It's just mild and smooth like a lot of Dawn's flavors. (not a super in your face flavor) I just dropped in a couple drops from goodejuices ry4 giving it a second go. This one I dont like. Whatever base they use has a spice thats in all their tobaccos (that I've tried being 3) that I just can't stand. Retiring that RY4 permanently. I would like their kryptonite too if I didn't taste that. sigh

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I just dropped in a couple drops from goodejuices ry4 giving it a second go. This one I dont like. Whatever base they use has a spice thats in all their tobaccos (that I've tried being 3) that I just can't stand. Retiring that RY4 permanently. I would like their kryptonite too if I didn't taste that. sigh

GoodEJuice: very good vendor, but an RY4 that isn't going to win any prizes. IMO.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Earlier in the thread, someone wrote that he liked AltSmoke's RY4 and that I should try it, so I ordered a bottle, which has been sitting on my desk for a couple days.

This morning I sampled it, dripping with a clean Joye LR510 atty powered by a freshly-charged Hello 016 battery at 4.2 volts.

My first impression on inhale was of a very powerful fruitiness. That's not quite right, though. It's not a fruit flavor (at least not any fruit I've ever tasted), nor would I presume that AltSmoke added a fruit flavor to their RY4. I just don't know any other word to describe what I tasted. It was, well, fruity. A shot in the dark here is that it might be some weird kind of vanilla. I don't know. There is evidence of a tobacco base, though it's understated and quite in the background, but I can't taste any caramel---good, bad, or indifferent. Just overwhelming fruitiness on inhale, exhale, and in-between.

My apologies to AltSmoke fans and those who like this juice, but---in my opinion---this is definitely NOT a bonafide RY4, and I don't think I'd vape it at all if I weren't testing it for review. As for a ranking, AltSmoke "RY4" (in quotation marks) crawls in near the bottom at #26, above Bluemist but below VoidMist. I will let the juice steep for a week or two and sample it again, however. If it matures out of the fruitiness and into something better, I'll post that on the thread.

Below are my current (revised) rankings. Besides the new additions, note that I moved the "bright trio" of Dulcis, Taboo, and Elixir RY4 up one spot each, dropping KalamazooVaporShop RY4 below them, from #8 down to #11. Those three sparkling RY4s are pleasing me more as they steep. Either their effervescent high ends are toning down somewhat or I'm just liking them better. As always, of course, YMMV. If anyone wants to rearrange the rankings or post his/her own list here on the thread, I'm all for diversity of opinion.

As general groupings, #1-10 are great, #11-20 are good, and #21-28 are poor.

1. BackwoodsBrew RY4
2. OzarkFresh Kentucky Burley RY4
3. (tie) VapeRite Organic VR4
3. (tie) Ikenvape IKV RY4 Gold, PG Blend
5. PrimeVaping PV4
6. Want2Vape RY4
7. VapeMasters R4
8. VaporTalk Dulcis
9. LiquidXpress Taboo
10. ElixirLiquid RY4

11. KalamazooVaporShop RY4
12. VapeRite RY4
13. Madvapes Dekang RY4
14. NiteLiteVapor Renegade RY4
15. Esmoke4Life Riskee Yuice
16. VaporStation VS4
17. VaporStation RY4
18. FreedomSmokeUSA RY4
19. Want2Vape Rock Star
20. AwesomeVapor RY4

21. GoodEjuice RY4
22. Mist-Stix RY4
23. Kick Bass Vapor RY4
24. VoidMist RY4
25. Vapure VY4
26. AltSmoke RY4
27. BlueMistVaping RY4
28. FlavourArt oRYental 4

Coming Soon: Quick Nic RY4
Untested/Unranked: JantyUSA Janty RY4
Untested/Unranked: Halo Tribeca

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
This is a terrific thread. Thanks. After detesting "RY4" (which made no sense, as it sure sounded perfect for my likes) I've tried one of your top pics and you described it perfectly. I am now a fan & it's in my frequent vape selection---not quite up to "all day vape" yet!
001_wub1-1.gif

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I must add one for your "try" list.

Quick nic Juice RY4 Tobacco flavored e-liquid. Made in the USA

This is a new vendor to ecf, but already they have won me over. Their French Toast is now my favorite vape. I love their full flavors, and would like you to review their RY4. My guess is it reaches the top 10 at least.

It compares very closely to PrimeVaping's PV4. It has a slightly sweeter flavor, possibly a bit more caramel. The tobacco base is very similar to Vermillion River's Kentucky Premium Blend. It has a woody tobacco base. You can smell the second hand vape, which is a bit unusual. I would not suggest trying to stealth vape this juice. It tastes very good, and I would put it easily on the top half of the list. Personally, I would put it just above PV4 as I like the sweetness.

hangdude,

Thanks ever so much for the heads up on this one! Of the ten RY4s new to me that I've sampled specifically for this big review, QuickNic's RY4 is unprecedented.

Rich at Quick Nic kindly sent me a 15ml bottle to review. It arrived in a clear glass dropper bottle (nice), and the first thing I noticed was that the liquid in the bottle was reddish-light brown colored, beautifully transparent, with almost a glowing quality. Lovely, and a good sign.

Rich had emailed me that all of Quick Nic's juices are made to order, and he advised that this one might need some steeping time for the flavors to blend and marry. Well, I couldn't wait, of course, so I dripped five drops into a Joye LR510 1.5 ohm atty powered by my Little Sister VV set at 4.2 volts and took a toke. Then another, and then slowly, yet another.

Holy cow! The angels sang, or maybe it was the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Either way---and even without steeping---this is one spectacular juice! Beside the fact that it tasted great as a classic RY4, it had that quality that some rare juices have of conveying that they are special, hand-crafted very lovingly by people who know what they're doing. This juice embodied both qualities---fantastic flavors and the aura of a royal pedigree.

The flavor is consistent from inhale through exhale---composed of equal elements of tobacco, caramel, and vanilla, plus that pronounced nuttiness that only a few extremely good RY4s have. The woodsy tobacco is very good and delivers a delicious, sharp bite without being at all harsh, probably due to the 24mg nic concentration of this particular bottle. 18mg and less would probably be smoother, but not necessarily better. The ample caramel comes right along with the tobacco, and a very succulent, rich caramel it is. Both tobacco and caramel are then subtly wrapped in vanilla and nut. Right now, all those flavors are very distinct to my palate, easily identifiable as separate. I can't help but wonder how they'll blend after a week or two of steeping. Fat chance of this bottle lasting that long.

I've vaped a bunch of great new juices recently, among them Vermillion River's Kentucky Premium and Prime Vaping's Natural Tobacco and Nostalgia. But Quick Nic's RY4 is even better than those. In short, it's fabulous.

Ranking this juice is giving me fits. I'm a bit mistrustful of my first impulse, which is to be completely seduced, so I will try to resist that urge. Even maintaining a critical stance, however, and under the assumption that aging will improve it, the only question is how high a ranking should I give? At first I agreed with hangdude and figured I'd place it at #5, just ahead of Prime Vaping PV4. But the more I vape this juice, the higher up the ladder it goes. OK, this is after only one day of vaping, but Quick Nic RY4 seems to be a real contender for the crown.

I just vaped each of the current Top 4 to compare, and I've made my decision. Because of its wonderful balance and sweet nuttiness, Quick Nic RY4 shoots like a rocket all the way to (trumpet fanfare, please) #2, just nosing out Ozark Fresh Kentucky Burley RY4, and not very far behind the reigning heavyweight champ, BWB RY4.

And guess what? Unlike BWB RY4, Janty RY4 (or AVE's Boba's Bounty, for that matter), Quick Nic RY4 is actually available, with no waiting or web site vigils. Every RY4 lover would be well-advised to order a bottle of this extraordinary juice tomorrow.

Quick nic Juice RY4 Tobacco flavored e-liquid. Made in the USA

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Thank you billherbst for the detailed review of Quick nic Juice's RY4.

I am new (2 months) to vaping. I catch myself praising stuff one day, and in a week it is meh. But two things have really changed the way I feel about vaping. The first is dual coil cartomizers. The first time I tried a dual coil carto, I quit smoking and never looked back. The second is juice from a good mixologist. boB and yssiM over at Kickbassvapors, Don at Backwoodsbrew, Ben from Alien Vision E-Juice.

I have added Rich from Quick nic Juice to that list. I was hopeful when I had the French Toast. Now I have tried 8 of the flavors, and I am impressed. Apple Pie is very good. Root Beer Float is amazing. And he came up with a Chocolate Glazed Donut that tastes exactly like the real thing! I know Chocolate is hard, but Rich nailed it.

edit: and all my flavors are at his 35% VG and 18mg.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
did you get the Quick Nic RY4 as 100% PG or as 65PG/35VG blend?
btw, I'm vaping and loving VR4 at the moment ;)

65PG/35VG.

Yeah, VR4 is gooey caramelly goodness. It doesn't perform quite as well for me as some other juices do (slightly less vapor production, throat hit, and overall impact), but it sure tastes great.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I have added Rich from Quick nic Juice to that list.

I wrote in a post here that Rich was the juicemaster at Quick Nic because he responded to my email request for a review sample, but I may have assumed that incorrectly. JoeJokin is the screen name of the guy who posts on the registered supplier thread, and I don't know if that's Rich or not. Plus, the business card in the package had the owner's name on the card, which was a woman, Adele or something like that---I forget, and the card and box are already gone to the recyclers.

Rich wrote that all their mixing is done in house per order, but that could mean that Quick Nic has a supplier who provides them with all the ingredients and recipes.

hangdude, do you know for sure that Rich is the guy who makes the juices? Or is JoeJokin someone else?

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
JoeJokin signed a pm to me as Rich, so I believe it is same.

I guess there could be a whole family of Jokins using the same account. The wealthiest of those would be Rich. Aldele is his idol. Joe is just average. Nic is the fastest.
OK, that was just stupid.

edit: Actually, Rich and Aldele are the happy couple behind Quick nic Juice. They make the juices from their own recipes. The juice is made fresh, so some steeping may be needed.

Last edited:

Diablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
SW,Virginia
I must say I really like the Ikenvape RY4 PG blend, its mellow tasting not to sweet or overpowering. It also has a very nice price as well. Since it is so high up the list the only other one I would try is BB(since I like their other juices) but there is no way I will play the lottery game to get a juice. If I like a juice I want to be able to buy as much of it as I want and whenever I want to.

I also like the Dekang China blend from madvapes (50ml 24mg bottle), if it had just a touch more flavor it would be all I would vape. Been thinking of getting some flavors and seeing if I could tweak it a tad.

D

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I also like the Dekang China blend from madvapes (50ml 24mg bottle), if it had just a touch more flavor it would be all I would vape. Been thinking of getting some flavors and seeing if I could tweak it a tad.

Trying to improve on juices that were "almost" in some fashion (almost vapable, almost good, almost brilliant) was what got me into DIY in the first place, that and the silly notion that I could save a couple bucks. That seemingly innocent desire to tweak has resulted in my now having hundreds of small bottles of flavor concentrate, big bottles of concentrated nic juice, and liters of PG and VG. For instance, I have four different blends of DIY RY4, almost 100mls in all. Heck, I have 9 different RY4 flavor concentrates, 7 caramel flavorings, 6 vanillas, almost 50 tobacco flavor varieties, plus 2 cotton candies (pink and blue) and 2 marshmallows (regular and toasted) for sweetening (among many other sweeteners---honey flavor, brown sugar flavor, diluted sucralose, etc.---cotton candy and marshmallow are just the two that are commonly used in some RY4s).

I've become a fair-to-middlin' juice maker---not completely incompetent, but nothing to write home about, and nowhere close to the juice alchemists who have achieved first-name status here on ECF: Don at bwb, Todd at vaperite, Donley at want2vape, Dawn at DIYflavorshack, et al. I can barely compete in Triple-A ball compared to those Major League All Stars.

Diablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
SW,Virginia
Thanks Bill, you probably just saved me a lot of time and money trying to tweak that juice. I was thinking it may be as simple as adding couple drops of caramel or something. Your taste buds are far more advanced than mine are, so I'm gonna just stick to the premades for now.

Might have a go at the Quick Nic juice on my next order then decide between that and ikenvapes until they get boring then have a look at some of the others.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread