billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I am hoping you'll get around to reviewing halo's tribeca...I happen to love it, but am eager to read your take on it.

sweetpuff,

I'm sort of on the fence about reviewing Tribeca, for a couple different reasons (none of them substantial, all temperamental).

I've been following the Tribeca threads since Halo offered it as a beta-test sample. Opinion is divided in a rather strange way. People seem to either not like it at all or love it like it were the Second Coming of Jayeeezzzusss. (I include you in the latter camp). Hardly anyone in the middle saying it's pretty good. That makes me a bit gun shy, same as I felt about Boba's for awhile before finally buying some.

Second reason is that a number of posters on those threads have remarked that Tribeca has a chocolatey taste. Well, I'm sorry, but RY4 does NOT contain chocolate flavor. Vanilla, yes---chocolate, NO. I mean, if I were going to allow Tribeca with chocolate to qualify as an RY4, I'd have to include Nostalgia by Prime vaping. Nostalgia is certainly delicious (as Tribeca may be also), but it's not an RY4 and doesn't belong in this thread.

Third reason is that I'd never tried any Halo juices until just recently. Picked up 30ml bottles of Torque 56 and Freedom at reduced prices at the going out of business sale at esmokeyshack. I actually wanted Tribeca, but esmokey had none in inventory, just limited old stock from Halo. Anyway, I ordered Torque and Freedom with considerable anticipation of liking them a great deal, but to my surprise didn't like them at all. The "purity" element (a.k.a, Ecopure, Malty, etc.) didn't strike me as yummy, but instead tasted to my palate the way sick-rooms smell, with that slightly nauseating medicinal-disinfectant aroma. Over two weeks, I've tried vaping both juices on four or five different occasions, and I literally make a scrunched-up unhappy face every time. I just can't get past that disinfectant quality. Not to suggest in any way that other people shouldn't love Halo juices, but my personal reaction to Halo's flagship juices has me even more nervous about Tribeca.

And last, Halo's prices. Forget the 5ml sample-size bottle, that's $10 with shipping. No way. But 30mls is $25 with shipping. Now, I don't mind paying $17 for 30ml plus $3 First Class postage from any vendor. $20 is OK with me. But $25 ($20 plus $5 shipping) is too much. It's not that I can't afford it---I can---the problem is that it offends me. Makes me feel that I'm some patsy buying stuff from narcissists who have a psychotically inflated estimation of their own worth. That's putting it too strongly, but you probably know what I mean. I don't care if angels make the juice and ship it from heaven, more than $20 simply puts me off. I feel the same way about Janty RY4, which is even more expensive than Halo.

These are all emotional reasons for not buying Tribeca that my intellect regards as silly. Nonetheless, they are in the way.

Now, if some kind soul would send me a 3ml bottle of Tribeca to sample, I'd be happy to review it here. Whether I'd rank it as an RY4, I cannot yet say.

• Informative
Reactions: madstabber

Diablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
SW,Virginia
I agree with your assessment that $20 is kind of the tipping point. There are lots of top juice makers and none of them break that threshold.

Now if they did something like Goldschlager and put actual gold flakes in it then maybe, as a conversation piece :p

D

Attachments

• goldschlager.jpg
    goldschlager.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 150

SweetPuff

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
USA
Bill,

I have to tell you, if you wrote a novel, I would be first in line to buy it! I LOVE reading everything you write, it's totally entertaining, interesting, informative, honest and just plain funny at times (and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible...wonderful sense of humor and way with words you have sir!)

Now regarding the chocolate notes some detect...I don't. Maybe my olfactory glands are faulty? :confused:

Price, yes, agreed, the stuff is expensive. When you factor in their shipping charges (definitely too high), it's damned expensive. I too have been on the fence each time I order due to the price, BUT, with the 10% off ECF discount, and free shipping (over $75) it works out ok price-wise for me, since I order multiple bottles of tribeca. I enjoy the heck out of tribeca, and even though it costs more than my other fav vendors stuff (BWB) I just can't seem to give up the tribeca as part of the rotation.

Whether tribeca even fits into the true RY4 genre of juices, I have no idea. I'm no expert. Every RY4 I've tried is radically different, so can't really pinpoint common attributes other than a rich warm sweetish tobacco thread that runs through most.

What I can say is that tribeca is a total departure from any of halo's other juices, which may be one of the reasons I like it so much. The other reason is that it is remarkably similar to bloog's ry4 pre-filled cartos which I loved.

Regarding the freedom and torque, I have both also, don't care for them. If I would have tried those first, I probably wouldn't have considered trying tribeca. In fact, one of them (can't remember whether it's freedom or torque) tastes exactly the way my husband's cologne smells. I love the smell on his neck, but don't necessarily want to vape it. I also don't care much for their other liquids with the exception of prime 15 and malibu which are enjoyable. That's no reflection on them though, I'm not a big menthol person, period.

So...long story short, since I selfishly am dying to get your take on the tribeca, i'd be happy to send you 3mls, just to be able to read your review, lol. I will not be offended in the least if you don't like it, or if you think it's the most chocolaty thing you ever tasted, lol :).

SweetPuff

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
USA
Diablo, OMG, you cracked me up with that comment, love it!

I agree with your assessment that $20 is kind of the tipping point. There are lots of top juice makers and none of them break that threshold.

Now if they did something like Goldschlager and put actual gold flakes in it then maybe, as a conversation piece :p

D

• Disagree

Diablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
SW,Virginia
Bill,I have to tell you, if you wrote a novel, I would be first in line to buy it! I LOVE reading everything you write, it's totally entertaining, interesting, informative, honest and just plain funny at times (and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible...wonderful sense of humor and way with words you have sir!)

I thought the same exact thing. I wanted to say something but didn't want it to come across wrong. Bill has a great way with words. Very detailed,colorful,nice touch of humor and you can visualize what he is talking about. If he wrote a novel I would have to read all in one sitting, I wouldn't be able to put it down. :)

Then there is his taste buds. Makes me think of those wine testers, they can sip some wine and tell you what country and town the grapes came from and the year they was harvested, just amazing.

D

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Janty's RY4 just came back in stock today. To me, it's the closes I have found to the originial RY4 that so many liked back in 2009. I find most of the US made RY4's to be too heavy in one flavor or other and not well blended. I'm always skeptical if the color of the liquid is dark. But as I always say, taste is subjective.

• Disagree

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Janty's RY4 just came back in stock today. To me, it's the closes I have found to the originial RY4 that so many liked back in 2009. I find most of the US made RY4's to be too heavy in one flavor or other and not well blended. I'm always skeptical if the color of the liquid is dark. But as I always say, taste is subjective.

wv2win,

Thanks for the heads up! I'll go to Janty's site and order a bottle today.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Well, I tried to buy some Janty RY4, but no go. Added to the cart a bottle of Janty's new Elixir PG Series RY4 (which the blurb said was "the original Janty RY4 best seller, introduced on the market in 2007 by Janty"). $12.30 for 15mls after an ECF 5% off coupon is awfully pricey, but what the heck, it's for a good cause (this thread).

Registered an account, went to checkout, got the the third page of checkout where it said, "Please select a Shipping Method" and was stopped dead in my tracks. No shipping options were visible anywhere on the page---just a large blank space. So I clicked NEXT, thinking the actual shipping options might be on the next page, and I got an error message saying that I hadn't chosen a shipping method.

I hate stuff like this.

So, I trashed the order, closed the cart, quit Firefox, and tried again using Safari, my other Mac browser. Same result. No shipping options offered, couldn't complete the checkout.

Then I thought, "I wonder what will happen if I put something other than RY4 in the cart?" So, I put an eGo Cartomizer in the cart and tried to checkout. At the shipping page, it actually gave me two options: Priority Mail for $7.85, and Express Mail for $18.80!

Friends, that cuts it for me. Even if I could buy their RY4 (which I can't), it would apparently be $20.15 for a lousy 15mls. I'm sorry, but that's outrageous.

wv2win, I know you like Janty's RY4 a ton and really want it to get the recognition you feel it deserves. I've done my best to buy some, but between web site glitches and prices that offend me, I think this is game over for me and Janty. No disrespect intended toward you.

Dream

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Redondo Beach
FYI, BWB's RY4 just restocked... but last i checked it is going fast..only 20 left. i managed to place one order for 24mg 30ml... While waiting for ejoker's blend to come online (as they said it would at 9PM EST) and it is still not available.. As I was waiting i 1/2 of the supply of RY4 vanished.. so i realized that i was going to be forced to pay double shipping. I'd rather have that $3-extortion fee be absorbed in the listed price of the juice itself.. know what i mean?

It's just not decent.

I hope he doesn't piss in my juice now.

Last edited:

SweetPuff

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
USA
OMG, I cannot believe I missed it AGAIN!!! This just happened to be the day I decide to make a nice dinner for hubby, and totally forgot that this was THE day for BWB RY4! I hope Don is getting ready to make more, soon :(. Does anyone know how long the wait is between batches?

FYI, BWB's RY4 just restocked... but last i checked it is going fast..only 20 left. i managed to place one order for 24mg 30ml... While waiting for ejoker's blend to come online (as they said it would at 9PM EST) and it is still not available.. As I was waiting i 1/2 of the supply of RY4 vanished.. so i realized that i was going to be forced to pay double shipping. I'd rather have that $3-extortion fee be absorbed in the listed price of the juice itself.. know what i mean?

It's just not decent.

I hope he doesn't piss in my juice now.

• Disagree

Diablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
SW,Virginia
Does anyone know how long the wait is between batches?

I'm not sure. Been vaping for 30 days now and I never seen it on there. Guess I should have signed up for the email alert and had it sent to my phone. Now I just gotta let it steep for 3 weeks, seems to be the time that I found BWB juice flavors stabilize for me.

Still undecided as to which is harder to get BWB RY4 or Reo Grand. Grands went on sale couple weeks ago and all were sold out in 4 mins. I was lucky to be a faster clicker and have good internet, otherwise I still wouldn't have one. :2cool:

Last edited:

Dream

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Redondo Beach
Heck yeah thanks Dream for the heads up... got me 30 mils on the way with some Casablanca and Adirondack awesome :)

no prob, Diablo! it's been 28 days for me.. right behind you. :)
One of these days i'll get a wooden bottom feeder..

In retrospect I guess I shouldn't be hard on Don (no, i don't know him personally).. i just don't thing it's right having to spend more than necessary for postage just because i want both juices (ry4 & ejoker's blend).

• Disagree

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
..............wv2win, I know you like Janty's RY4 a ton and really want it to get the recognition you feel it deserves. I've done my best to buy some, but between web site glitches and prices that offend me, I think this is game over for me and Janty. No disrespect intended toward you.

No disrespect perceived by me. I agree that their prices are high and their shipping is out of line. If I could find an alternative that was close in taste, I would give it a go. If you send me a PM with your address, when I get my next shipment in, I can send you a 3ml bottle of their RY4 so you can try it and compare to others if you like.

• Disagree

Dream

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Redondo Beach
In retrospect I guess I shouldn't be hard on Don (no, i don't know him personally).. i just don't thing it's right having to spend more than necessary for postage just because i want both juices (ry4 & ejoker's blend).

Apparently he had some major problems with the website last night.. s-h-*-t happens... Knowing that i'll be a continuing customer, i think i prefer letting this little issue go.

i'm just eager to compare his ry4 to vr4 and quick nic's ry4 ;)

• Disagree

thughes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
Layton, Utah
OMG, I cannot believe I missed it AGAIN!!! This just happened to be the day I decide to make a nice dinner for hubby, and totally forgot that this was THE day for BWB RY4! I hope Don is getting ready to make more, soon :(. Does anyone know how long the wait is between batches?

Don't worry he usually does two batches at a time so keep an eye out for the next week.

• Disagree

Diablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
SW,Virginia
yep got it. i fought the site on my droid x for a half hour...lol 6:34 pacific time i got it (yesterday) i can't wait.

Gratz Ogre, we got Bill's number one pick and its BWB do they even make a bad juice :)

I hate menthol but I bet I would like BWB's...lol

• Disagree

marcalbar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Philippines
First, thank you to the op, billberbst for this comprehensive review!

Second, it was FSUSA's RY4 that got to me, I still like it and am still vaping it. Although I am really intrigued by the other vendors different twists on their own RY4s so that's why I find this thread a very informative one.

Having said that, BWB RY4 is topnotch and a great vape for me. It's my regular RY4 vape as well as FSUSA's. They are different but satisfying to me a different levels.

Now, I'm awaiting the arrival of Ozark Fresh's Kentucky Burley RY4, Ikenvape's Gold PG and Vaperite's VR4!!

Oh and next on my sight is Quick Nic's version :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread