*THE* (reasonably priced) 5volt 510 PT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
This thing rocks!

If you want a good 510 PassThrough for a good price, look no further. Hoogie over at MadVapes has the goods!

I'm not talking about the el-cheapo 3.7v 510 PT's with the inline battery and a cord that looks like dental floss that you could break just by looking at it. If you're like me, you got one of those hoping to not use batteries when you're at your computer, but soon realized that a regular 510 battery provided better vaping performance. That was the worst ~$15 I ever spent on an ecig item - I never took more than a few puffs off of it.

THIS is the best $15 I ever spent on an ecig item! Yes, it costs the same $15 as the junky ones, but it is worlds apart. First of all, there is no battery. Second, it's got a comparatively beefy cord, like the kind you would find on any other typical USB cord, instead of the headphone-like wire on the cheapos. Third, it has an LED on the end where the cord enters into it, and it lights up when you push the button just like a regular manual battery. Fourth of all, and most importantly, IT'S 5volts!!! And finally, did I mention it was just $15?!!!

How's it perform? One word - CLOUDS! If you've never tried anything other than the standard 3.7v this is the cheapest way to try something just a little bit higher without frying your attys. Just make sure you don't let the atty run dry (it will consume liquid at a faster rate) and don't get carried away on the button, and it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure if it has a cutoff, but it doesn't matter because you get plenty of vapor rather quickly anyway.

One note, when I first got it, I tried it with an AC to USB adapter I got from Heaven's Gifts and it didn't work at all - the LED would just flash when I pushed the button. I thought I had got a bum one or something. But then I looked at the adapter and saw it had only .5-amp output and remembered Hoogie said in the item desc. that it needed 1-amp output. So I then just plugged the PT directly into my PC and BAM! no more blinking light when I pushed the button - just clouds of nice warm vapor! (BTW does anybody know where to get a AC-to-USB adapter that's at least 1-amp for a good price?)

You can find these babies at MadVapes here:
MadVapes LLC

The best $15 you'll ever spend on ecigs, I guarantee it! Check out his disposable 510 kits while you're there for another great bargain. They're great to give out to your analog smoking friends and family.

P.S. I bought and paid for my order from MadVapes (which was my first ever order) and I have no relationship with them whatsoever - except for just being a satisfied new customer!

tardcore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2009
pittsburgh, pa
thank you so much for this review :) i have been looking at this PT for the past couple days now, and your review has pushed me over the edge (so to speak). i currently have the 510 PT with the inline battery and flimsy wires. it's worked fine for me so far, but i'd like to 'step up' the vaping experience a bit, if you know what i mean. also, that usb power adapter looks fan-freaking-tastic, and only 1.95!?! did they fall off the back of a truck or something!? i'm snapping one of those up right now before it's sold out. (FYI: it comes to $3.90 with shipping. outrageous deal!)

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
good review. planning to get one of those myself. and as for your question I hear these work well but don't know for sure as I just ordered last night myself
USB Dual Power Adapter

Wow, when I asked for one at a good price, I wasn't expecting THAT good of a price. Thanks!

I ordered 2 of those and 2 of those other power supplies they had. The website doesn't support ordering more than one, so here's their quick response to my email asking how:
The total cost is the cost of each item as stated plus $1 each item for shipping. You can pay directly to our PayPal account by going directly to PayPal and the send icon and typing in our e-mail address at tas.electronics@hotmail.com - Note in the comments section what you are ordering.

SCampbell
469-744-4887
So there's no price break on shipping for multiple items, but $1 per item is more than fair, specially when the cost of the item is so low to begin with. It's just more convenient to make one paypal payment and receive everything at the same time in one box.

I can't wait to get these now, so I can combine one great bargain with another!

(P.S. You're welcome tardcore, I'd love to hear what you think when you get it, specially since you also have one of the el-cheapos to compare it to.)

Last edited:

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
I got this as well, it really isnt any better than the battery for me.
Are you sure you have the same one? Because the difference should be readily apparent - more, warmer vapor with better throat hit as a result.

I tested it with the voltmeter and it wasnt much higher than the battery.
What do you consider not much higher? I'd be curious to know what your readings were on each, even though since it's an unloaded voltage, it doesn't mean much anyway. When loaded, the battery would drop to a significantly lower voltage than you're seeing when it's unloaded. The PT would not suffer from that nearly as much.

I guess it depends on the computer.
You should try another USB power source, like the one discussed and linked above - it's definitely cheap enough that there's no reason not to!

Last edited:

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
Sounds like a BS product to me. Trying to draw 3X the rated power from a port?

Good way to fry your motherboard. I'd never get a PT without a battery in it. Might as well just hit your computer with a hammer.

-Jake

"The USB 1.x and 2.0 specifications provide a 5 V supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.75 V (5 V±5%) between the positive and negative bus power lines. For USB 2.0 the voltage supplied by low-powered hub ports is 4.4 V to 5.25 V.[29]"

If USB puts out 4.75-5.25 V how is 5V "3x the rated power"?

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
If USB puts out 4.75-5.25 V how is 5V "3x the rated power"?

by way of the mathematics of : x + y = z

wherein

x = habit of posting on subjects with no knowledge of said subject

y = time it takes for other people to show that you are wrong

and

z = apologizing for stating x without first checking facts

it's a repetitive cycle ;)

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
He's talking about the amps, of which the standard rating for USB is .5amps - so since this requires 1amp, that would be 2x the rating. But, unless you've got a lot of other USB devices plugged in and drawing a lot of power at the same time, there's little to worry about. A PC's USB ports can *easily* supply more than the rated .5amps, and they are designed to do so - as long as you're not using a lot of other power intensive stuff on the other USB ports at the same time.

But, it *is* A LOT safer and more convenient/flexible to use one of the adapters as discussed and linked above. You can have a USB power source anywhere, not just when you're next to a PC, and they're cheap as hell and rated for 2amps - so it's a no brainer.

None of that makes this a BS product. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

IdolLurker

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Florida USA
I've been using the USB Dual Power Adapter myself for a couple of days now - works great!

I am a NOOB and not an expert but was told... that if you are using a PT and connect it to an AC Source via a special wall adaptor like the one at the url above (with high output (2A)) instead of hooking to a computer you don't have the problem of frying a mother board and the PT will work great. There are other wall adaptors that don't have enough output that cannot be used with a PT. Isn't this cheap protection? I thought this was a handy device and ordered two along with a 901 auto batt PT.

Decoopah...what PT and atomizer did you use it with? Hope this works for me.

Wall

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Racine, WI
Are you sure you have the same one? Because the difference should be readily apparent - more, warmer vapor with better throat hit as a result.

What do you consider not much higher? I'd be curious to know what your readings were on each, even though since it's an unloaded voltage, it doesn't mean much anyway. When loaded, the battery would drop to a significantly lower voltage than you're seeing when it's unloaded. The PT would not suffer from that nearly as much.

You should try another USB power source, like the one discussed and linked above - it's definitely cheap enough that there's no reason not to!

Yes same one

.5v higher than the battery This is measured before the atty not after it like Scott did in another thread in reviews.

I only have a few other usb ac adapters that arent a full amp so i cant right now.

i also notice that this PT has a WAY harder draw than the battery one does. This could be part of the problem if yours doesnt?

BTW Im not negating the product or what you are saying, just weighing in on my experiences with the device. Im going to order that 1 amp option and hope it makes this better. as it is im more like than not to reach for a battery for now.

and my horrible not binding proof
pbuJ1.jpg

Last edited:

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
You may be tightening the atty to the PT a little too much. Once you've got it gently screwed in all the way, unscrew it just a tiny hair and see if you get a better draw. It's not necessary to screw it in too tight, and when you do that you can over-push in the center post on the atty. That is true even with batteries, and you can also get a better draw with batteries by not over-tightening. You shouldn't be screwing it in until it can't screw in anymore at all - you should simply screw it in until you feel increasing resistance.

Another option, if you're game, is to *slightly* increase the width and/or depth of the 4 air-channel cutouts on the end of the PT with a dremel using a cutoff wheel or something similar - but that shouldn't really be necessary if you don't over-tighten.

From your pictures, (although very subjective) there does seem to be more/thicker vapor in the second one, but that may be further improved with a better draw.

And, RE: the voltage difference, based on Scottbee's thread, you should know that even a .5v difference is very significant to the total power delivered to the coil. And again, that .5v difference would increase when tested against a battery in real-world loaded conditions connected to an atty. So don't let that perceived slight difference convince you that you shouldn't be noticing a difference between a standard 510 battery and this PT. You should notice more, thicker and warmer vapor that results in better throat-hit. So try fixing the drag issue, and/or change the power source, and/or try some different attys - and I'm confident that you'll get better results.

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
Also, if you have been over-tightening your atty and the atty's center post is pushed-in too far, then you might not feel resistance before it is fully screwed in all the way - thus forcing you to over-tighten. If that's the case, you may need to pull up that center post just a tiny bit so that it makes contact sooner. Here's a thread that describes how:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...have-atty-works-1-device-but-not-another.html

Last edited:

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
good review. planning to get one of those myself. and as for your question I hear these work well but don't know for sure as I just ordered last night myself

USB Dual Power Adapter
I have one of these and it says 1.5 amps per usb slot on the back on the front it says 2000ma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread