the René 41 thread . . . . . . .well . . . . . .wire . . . . . . . . wire thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Evans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2013
Columbus, Georgia, United States
^ prolific facking monkey, that one. Love the "crown of thorns" business!

So, I vaped my .4+ through the course of the day and had neither sore throat issues, nor that weird "tang" I mentioned yesterday.

I am frustrated tho, cause the gauge of it just doesn't suit the vape I've come to love. The dual coil was just too much stuff in the atty. (air flow, heat-up time, etc.)
Gary, from Jacobs, basically said "no" on offering other gauges. He said he'd have to invest about $12,000, and he's not thinking that's a good idea. :(

I'll be brainstorming on "resistance altering magic" . .. .

Why not try a small parallel dual since space is the issue, a small 10(5 & 5) would fill the space nicely.

Silense

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
Boulder
God, your guy's coils look beautiful. I am so jealous. I just got my reo grand and I am officially a reonaut. It has lived up to all the hype and then some. Just getting familiar with cotton wicks over SS. I currently use 28 gauge kanthal for my micros... Should I try something else? What works better. I was thinking of trying nichrome, is it better than kanthal? If so by how much, I have loads of 30 and 28 gauge kanthal and seeing is justifying buying some nichrome would be worth it.

Last edited:

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
Welcome to the fold Silense! wire is really a personal preference. Some people get an odd taste from kanthal, others from Nichrome. Some people can not use Nichrome due to a nickel sensitivity that can cause sore throat, etc... This R41 falls into the high-nickel alloys, but has a far cleaner taste (though it is a real PITA to wrap and is expensive... I wouldn't suggest learning w/ this).

As for the other (main) difference: Kanthal holds slightly higher resist, whereas a 26awg nichrome is equal to 25awg Kanthal.

I personally prefer Nichrome for my super-low builds, and I use 30awg Kanthal for my high resist builds.

Mostly it is just trial and error to find what works. 28g Kanthal is a great size. You can do just about anything with it from super low to high.

Dont hesitate to ask any questions!

That being said... THE MONKEY DEMANDS PICTURES!

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
When I get home ill post my Reo, I ended up giving my pro-vari to my GF. Between the two is such a night and day difference it is nuts. That rm2, is very easy to rebuild too.

You are one helluva a nice guy... I was letting my GF use my EA Mod for awhile until I saw her drop it a few times.. I then purchased an EA Mod clone to get my EA back.. :p :D

As for my ProVari, (actually two now since I'm expecting another from a trade) NO WAY they're leaving my sight.. ;) Same for my beat..errr "well used" REO Grand.

Back on topic.... I never have really messed with anything below AWG 30.. How many wraps of the 27 gauge René 41 will it take to achieve 1.3-1.5 ohms around some XC-116 roughly? It's 3mm, and I want to pre-wrap around a drill bit, and pull the XC-116 through..

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
Moar CRACK!

ju6ypysy.jpg

uje8a3e8.jpg

uva5ezy8.jpg

renadepu.jpg

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
Back on topic.... I never have really messed with anything below AWG 30.. How many wraps of the 27 gauge René 41 will it take to achieve 1.3-1.5 ohms around some XC-116 roughly? It's 3mm, and I want to pre-wrap around a drill bit, and pull the XC-116 through..

Hmmm. Considering my 10-wrap on a 16ga blunt yielded approximately 1.2, 3mm would be 2x the diameter (roughly), so If we go solely by wrap size, a 5-wrap on a 3mm should be about 1.2 as well. I'd aim for a 7 wrap on a 3mm as a starting point for 1.5ish.

st0nedpenguin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2010
WA
Welcome to the fold Silense! wire is really a personal preference. Some people get an odd taste from kanthal, others from Nichrome. Some people can not use Nichrome due to a nickel sensitivity that can cause sore throat, etc...

Yeah that's my issue with nickel based wires, they taste off to me and then after a few hours of vaping it feels like I tried to deep throat a cactus. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread