The results are in - Batches 1 and 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
My first batch of DIY liquid will be three weeks old on Monday, so I thought I'd give them a blast on the old dripper. As a comparison, I also tootled on some week old experiments to compare aging/steeping times etc.

Decided the following flavours are just not for me: TFA orange cream, black licorice. Im so-so on TFA chocolate and FJ espresso. Really into the creams, vanillas and custards. One of them, even at week old was surprisingly good and close to a commercial juice I tried.

The "tobacco style" recipes I tried were leaning towards the disappointing, one was really quite gross [more floral than anything else]. The custards, shone way beyond what I was expecting even after a week.

Have a few own recipes I'm hopeful about and I'll post up once they have steeped and if they pass the final ADV test. What I'm surprised at is that some are between 5.5-8% total flavouring, and come out really well as do some at 22%. The worse ones were between 10-15% and naturally were the ones I made the most of [sigh] ...

So it doesn't matter what your juice looks like, or smells like, taste is the most important thing. Again, some smelled a bit yuk but tasted fine, others smelled good but tasted yuk.

@Letitia, with your creation [2% Dulche, hazelnut and 1.5% French vanilla] what percentage could I go up to if I wanted to get more flavour in a max VG mix?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
My first batch of DIY liquid will be three weeks old on Monday, so I thought I'd give them a blast on the old dripper. As a comparison, I also tootled on some week old experiments to compare aging/steeping times etc.

Decided the following flavours are just not for me: TFA orange cream, black licorice. Im so-so on TFA chocolate and FJ espresso. Really into the creams, vanillas and custards. One of them, even at week old was surprisingly good and close to a commercial juice I tried.

The "tobacco style" recipes I tried were leaning towards the disappointing, one was really quite gross [more floral than anything else]. The custards, shone way beyond what I was expecting even after a week.

Have a few own recipes I'm hopeful about and I'll post up once they have steeped and if they pass the final ADV test. What I'm surprised at is that some are between 5.5-8% total flavouring, and come out really well as do some at 22%. The worse ones were between 10-15% and naturally were the ones I made the most of [sigh] ...

So it doesn't matter what your juice looks like, or smells like, taste is the most important thing. Again, some smelled a bit yuk but tasted fine, others smelled good but tasted yuk.

@Letitia, with your creation [2% Dulche, hazelnut and 1.5% French vanilla] what percentage could I go up to if I wanted to get more flavour in a max VG mix?
Remind me what brands you have of each please. Brand matters and you always be asked.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yeah, not all juices get better with steeping. Fruits are somewhat famous for that. There is a saying: “you can make a vape taste like anything except a cigarette”. A well steeped WTA juice gets closer than most but in ecigs tobacco flavor is just one flavor of many. Glad you’re liking your custards though :)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

Oh and tell me what creams and custards you have as well please.

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Well I don't have dx anything, find the flavor lacking myself. I would say...
All %
dulce de leche TFA leave at 2
hazelnut dx TFA 2
french vanilla Cap 2.5
I would add a cream or custard. Maybe make 20ml and pull off 10ml and add the the cream or custard to it and leave the other as is.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Orange cream - The Flavor Apprentice
Bavarian Cream - The Flavor Apprentice
French vanilla - The Flavor Apprentice
Vanilla custard V1 - Capella Flavors
French vanilla - Capella Flavors
Have you mixed sft (single flavor tester) of the two french vanillas to compare? Do you have access to Purilum flavors over there? If so I highly recommend the sweet tobacco. A good custard base is
fresh cream FA 1
custard INW 2
vanilla classic INW 2
You can mix this up a liter at a time and use it as a base to add anything you please to it. I mix my bases with nic so all I have to do after the base is steeped is add nuts or fruits. I'm not a custard fan, more creams and cheesecakes for me. Anyway @Skunk! uses this base often with his tobaccos and I think peach mixes as well.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
Have you mixed sft (single flavor tester) of the two french vanillas to compare? Do you have access to Purilum flavors over there?

I had a car crash with the SFT I made of orange cream, but I'll try the vanillas as they both vape really well. It's doing my head in the fact that some of the flavours smell so good yet vape so badly [and vice versa] !!!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I had a car crash with the SFT I made of orange cream, but I'll try the vanillas as they both vape really well. It's doing my head in the fact that some of the flavours smell so good yet vape so badly [and vice versa] !!!
If you like orange all you need is a orange boost. With the TFA I like to add a touch of tangerine and orange. Cap sweet tangerine or SC tangerine are good, FW natural orange is a favorite of mine. Cap juicy orange is okay as well.
FW Flavor West
SC Super Concentrate

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Playing with percentages plays a big role, french vanilla above 1% isn't good to me, but most are like you and prefer it a bit higher. Never be afraid to go lower, it doesn't make sense but in many cases higher mutes and lower shines.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
For those in the UK, Hangsen have a UK website. I haven't come across Purilum flavors in the UK so far.
@FranC is a HS fan, maybe she can pipe in. There is also one called black fire I think that has more of an actual cig taste. There is some pipe or cigar tobacco that some are a fan of too on the random thread. I'm not a fan so just skim those posts.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
Playing with percentages plays a big role, french vanilla above 1% isn't good to me, but most are like you and prefer it a bit higher. Never be afraid to go lower, it doesn't make sense but in many cases higher mutes and lower shines.

Hmm. Might explain my 10% Orange cream fiasco. The orange bit was OK, I liked the taste itself and the amount of flavour, but hated the artificial saccharin aftertaste.

I have always been really sensitive to artificial sweeteners though, can't abide them. I can always taste them a mile off. OTOH, I don't have a problem with Cilantro [Coriander], to some people it tastes like soap, so I'm not complaining :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread