Status
Not open for further replies.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
This isn't strictly related to electronic cigarettes. But vapers as a whole, and this community in particular, has thriving sections devoted to classifieds, contests, and PIF. Potentially, this could effect everything.

YOU'VE BEEN OWNED | Don't Let Copyright Trolls Steal Our Property Rights!

[h=2]ACT NOW: DON'T LET BIG BUSINESS STEAL OUR RIGHT TO RESELL WHAT WE OWN![/h]
This week, the U.S. Supreme Court will decide whether you have the right to sell your stuff on eBay. Do you really own the smartphone or computer you’re using to read this? If you sold your books, would you be breaking the law? A federal court in New York says you would be, even if you legally paid for and bought them.
It's unbelievable, but trademark and copyright holders are trying to use a legal loophole to take away your right to sell things that you own. The mainstream media is starting to catch on, with the Wall Street Journal just running an article headlined, "YOUR RIGHT TO RESELL YOUR OWN STUFF IS IN PERIL". Please add your name at right to fight back.
Public interest advocates are taking the case all the way to the Supreme Court, and Demand Progress is joining up with a coalition of groups -- including many of those that came together to kill SOPA -- to support the rights of ordinary Internet users and everyday consumers.
Once again, big entertainment company lobbyists are fighting us in the courts to ensure their profits are given higher priority than consumer rights. But this time the MPAA and RIAA have the Obama administration on their side -- they've all filed legal briefs asking the Supreme Court to restrict our right to resell the things we own..
If we lose this fight, practically anybody who wants to resell products they bought -- from Macbooks and iPhones to our clothing and textbooks -- will have to ask copyright holders for permission first. And they'll have the right to deny it!
It's bad for so many reasons: It'll undermine Craigslist and Ebay, hurt the environment, increase incentives for manufacturers to move jobs off-shore, and effectively ban the traditional American yard sale. For more info, please check out Marvin Ammori's article about the lawsuit.

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
What about the beer I drink? Do they want that back when I am done? I would be glad to personally deliver it ON their front door! :)

But seriously, what is to stop them from deciding how we use these things as well? Since we don't actually OWN it can they decide how we use it? Is it OK to browse the Apple website on a Windows phone? Is it OK to listen to iTunes on a Microsoft computer? Since we don't actually own these things then it stands to reason that the "true" owner could decide how they are to be used.

I don't think this will go anywhere but I am afraid if it does.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Behold, the future.

"For Loan: Empire Mod.

Conditions: When you demand, I shall accept it back. You are free to use, modify, break, sub-loan, etc. the device. You pay shipping both ways.
Deposit: $200, non-refundable.
Term: 100 years or the life of the renter, whichever comes first."

Also, I can't really imagine this interpretation standing. It's so incredibly asinine that giving that right to copyright holders would probably end up never being enforced. If anyone ever did try to enforce it, the first thing I'd do would be to take a dump on their doorstep and then start paying social media outlets to talk about how their products are used by pedophiles to escape detection. Why? It makes as much sense as the law.

(Disclaimer: I'm not actually selling/renting an Empire at any price. I don't own one. It was the first thing I thought of.)

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Argggggggggg. Well that put my BP up a bit. What next garage sales and flee markets. Someone needs to flush the big toilet in Washington DC. May need to flush it twice as all the stuff there will likely clog it good. They need a (none of the above) place on the ballots. Know what you have when you have a half full ship of Washington Bureaucrats. A need for more W. B's. to fill the ship up.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
1) Campaign finance reform so they work for the people, not the corporations.
2) Revoke the "A corporation is a person" crap
3) If we only lease them, the Corp is responsible for all the landfill cleanup and such caused by old devices, CDs, DVDs, etc. that can no longer be used.
4) I was impressed that the current administration would veto SOPA. Why won't they help deal with this? At least put up a good front before the elections. Sheesh! Guess I should read the full article...... :blush:

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
Argggggggggg. Well that put my BP up a bit. What next garage sales and flee markets. Someone needs to flush the big toilet in Washington DC. May need to flush it twice as all the stuff there will likely clog it good. They need a (none of the above) place on the ballots. Know what you have when you have a half full ship of Washington Bureaucrats. A need for more W. B's. to fill the ship up.

Better have a Roto Rooter semi truck on standby. I'm sure it will be needed.

This is the biggest load of crap. They are chipping away at the constitution, but they are doing it slowly hoping that we don't notice one little right going away, then another, then another... Unfortunately, that reasoning is working on the masses. We The People better wake up, and soon, or we are going to have NO rights left.

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Wow this whole thing is going downhill, I want to move to Canada, best of luck to the lobbyists who are actually fighting this fight for our rights

This would be a really really dumb idea

:laugh:

The honorable Steven Harper has the same plot in his sight,might want to find an aboriginal in your family tree and claim ancestral rights instead,better chance :laugh:

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Better have a Roto Rooter semi truck on standby. I'm sure it will be needed.

This is the biggest load of crap. They are chipping away at the constitution, but they are doing it slowly hoping that we don't notice one little right going away, then another, then another... Unfortunately, that reasoning is working on the masses. We The People better wake up, and soon, or we are going to have NO rights left.

But you will most likely still have the right to own a gun,apocalypse NOW!

:laugh:

P.S.

Sorry if I offended anyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread