The role of vaping in the risk management of conflagratory felines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I have lately become concerned that this forum has not sufficiently addressed the potential for vaping to reduce the risk of fire. The prevalence of cigarette-related fires as opposed to battery-related conflagrations has been mentioned on occasion, but I’ve yet to encounter a single discussion of the safety benefits that can be realized as a consequence of Shinyitis.

Take my own case as an example. vaping has resulted in the proliferation of 18650 batteries in my household. This, combined with chronic Shinyitis, resulted in a developing interest in 18650 flashlights and lanterns. Sadly, I unwisely resisted the impulse to purchase such items. Had I accepted my condition and made the desired purchases, I would not have lit my house with candles during a recent power outage. Had I not used candles, they would not have lit my cat on fire*, and much distress (mine) would have been avoided.

*For those who are wondering, he’s fine. He brushed against a candle and lit up a 3” strip of fur along his backside. I was already racing toward him, not fast enough to grab the candle and prevent the incident, but in time to beat him out before he noticed he was on fire. He looked up and said “mew!”, which in this instance translates as “Why are you hitting my ...? You know I prefer being scratched on the chin.”

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
upload_2018-12-21_18-23-14.jpg

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
So glad your lil fur-baby is okay!!! ♥♥ I don't know what it is about cats and candles, but I have to make it too much trouble for mine to get anywhere near a lit candle or they will persist to walk right over it....EVERY time! Or if it is too tall to step over, they insist on running their tail over it and many times hold it there for a spell...I just don't get it *sigh

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So glad your lil fur-baby is okay!!! ♥♥ I don't know what it is about cats and candles, but I have to make it too much trouble for mine to get anywhere near a lit candle or they will persist to walk right over it....EVERY time! Or if it is too tall to step over, they insist on running their tail over it and many times hold it there for a spell...I just don't get it *sigh
Even kid have to learn about hot stoves

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
We use electric candle warmer plates. No fire and no smoke stench when the wick is smoldering out after the flame is extinguished (I always hated a fresh blown-out candle).

With 5 kittehz and a blind, deaf Cocker Spaniel, we use some caution with "normal" household items.

Last edited:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
@Hawise thank you for opening my eyes to the problem of conflagratory felines, whose plight I had not rightfully pondered. Your situation truly does make me think to myself: "Why DON'T I have 18650 flashlights and such?".
Your poignant description of your feline friend leaves an image like it is asking, begging ME, "Why?" with it's heart-wrenching mewl......
Now I need to buy stuff. Thanks, cat.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I think it is Latin for "Honey, if you had just let me spend money" but I'm not a linguist;)

I had a cat once. It refused to play fetch. It would not announce the mailman was at my door. It wouldn't fetch my slippers and refused to catch the mice in my apartment.

I got a hamster instead.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Well, no but...

It never refused the food I served, never missed the litter box when I came home from work late, never jumped up on the kitchen counter while I made a tuna sandwich and always stayed happy either sleeping or running in it's little wheel.

The cat threw temper tantrums when I worked late, bit and clawed my visitors, knocked over trash cans and refused to eat the food I'd serve it.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Well, no but...

It never refused the food I served, never missed the litter box when I came home from work late, never jumped up on the kitchen counter while I made a tuna sandwich and always stayed happy either sleeping or running in it's little wheel.

The cat threw temper tantrums when I worked late, bit and clawed my visitors, knocked over trash cans and refused to eat the food I'd serve it.

When I get home from work my cat loves on me for a good half hour or more. He generally avoids visitors. He eats what I buy as a supplement to what he hunts, and he appreciates it. He's friendly with housepets and he's frenemies with the local squirrels, birds, etc. He kills rodents, snakes, bugs, lizards, etc. My dog is a whiny douche though.

Reactions: susieqz

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
When I get home from work my cat loves on me for a good half hour or more. He generally avoids visitors. He eats what I buy as a supplement to what he hunts, and he appreciates it. He's friendly with housepets and he's frenemies with the local squirrels, birds, etc. He kills rodents, snakes, bugs, lizards, etc. My dog is a whiny douche though.

Oh, how I wish I could have a whiny douche in my house again. In my heyday, I had three dogs and four cats. It was great.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I'm down to one cat, now. Used to have three. Being ignored by only one cat is quite a come down.

I do wish he would decide to go out or stay in. Holding the door open in freezing weather while he makes a decision does get tiresome.

I love the way they finally decide to go out just as I'm sliding shut the door. The little bump of adrenaline that jolts through me every time I almost crush one of them is so invigorating.

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I love the way they finally decide to go out just as I'm sliding shut the door. The little bump of adrenaline that jolts through me every time I almost crush one of them is so invigorating.
Ya ever notice how they get halfway out and stop to carefully stretch first one hind leg, and then the other? They also pull that stunt when you're trying to walk across the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread