Status
Not open for further replies.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
What's your build? And it could be that you're placing the coil a tad bit higher than should be. Can you show us a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll get the specs and pics when back at the house... any and all help is appreciated!

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
What's your build? And it could be that you're placing the coil a tad bit higher than should be. Can you show us a pic?

1.3 ohm build, 26 gauge kanthal, 2.5 mm... running between 3.9 - 4.2 volts. AFC halfway to full open.

This is the 304 grade steel clone from FT... not the 316 grade... could that make a diff in why drip tip is getting hot?

And yes, I do usually run my coil closer to air hole, for less throat hit. I'm still working on cutting the legs the right length. Also broke the ceramic cup so running without that also.

The vape is VERY smooth and no harshness at all, just getting a hot drip tip when hitting it often.

IMAG0918.jpg

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
1.3 ohm build, 26 gauge kanthal, 2.5 mm... running between 3.9 - 4.2 volts. AFC halfway to full open.

This is the 304 grade steel clone from FT... not the 316 grade... could that make a diff in why drip tip is getting hot?

View attachment 530653

If you have any 28ga, I would suggest trying that. My typical build is either a 6 or 7 wrap with a ID of 2.5mm. On a whim one day I tried using a 10 wrap 26ga coil and noticed the drip tip getting warmer than what I am used to. Promptly ripped out the 26, replaced with 28, and all is well again.

Keep in mind I typically only have the airflow open just a sliver, so it's very possible I wasn't getting enough airflow to cool the coil enough.
(316 SS version from FT)

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I have two builds on my Rose's, one with 8 wraps of 26g Kanthal on 2.5mm and the other with 26g Ti for a TC build. The drip tip can sometimes get hot with chain vaping, but I run with the airflow wide open on both.

Mine are Tobeco versions so I couldn't tel you what type of SS they are built with.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
Stock up on them...
$1.31 Replacement Ceramic Coil Cups for Rose V2 RTA (2-Pack) 2-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I find they do help with the flavor the Rose is known for. :)

Yeah, i've got several of them loaded up for my next FT purchase lol.

But TBH my first build had it, this one doesn't and the vape is very, very smooth.. can't say it's better than my Squape RS for flavor, but I'm still working on best flavor build for the Rose. It is extremely smooth though with no harshness at all which I'm really digging.

Last edited:

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
If you have any 28ga, I would suggest trying that. My typical build is either a 6 or 7 wrap with a ID of 2.5mm. On a whim one day I tried using a 10 wrap 26ga coil and noticed the drip tip getting warmer than what I am used to. Promptly ripped out the 26, replaced with 28, and all is well again.

Keep in mind I typically only have the airflow open just a sliver, so it's very possible I wasn't getting enough airflow to cool the coil enough.
(316 SS version from FT)

I do have 28 gauge and I'll try that on my next build, 2.5 for 6-7 wraps.

And Howdy! to a fellow Texan :)

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Yeah, i've got several of them loaded up for my next FT purchase lol.

But TBH my first build had it, this one doesn't and the flavor is very, very smooth (can't say it's better than my Squape RS yet but still working on best flavor build).
The SQRs is a flavor demon, I have the SXK version from 3F and it is a daily driver for me, actually replaced one on my Rose's for EDC.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
The SQRs is a flavor demon, I have the SXK version from 3F and it is a daily driver for me, actually replaced one on my Rose's for EDC.

I have 4 of the 3F SXK and one authentic (bought in the classies here) with lots of spare ceramic decks, etc.

Once I found such a great vape wanted to make sure I had plenty :)

I went down the path, after the kayfuns which I loved but draw was SO tight, of the newer sub-ohm tanks (Starre, TFV4, Subtank, etc.) and just found it wasn't for me.

Took a step back (or sideways) towards the flavor atties and found the SXK/Squape, my fav of ALL time so far, incredible flavor, super easy builds, great looking and AFC that spans the spectrum from tight MTL to a very nice LH style.

Now putting time into the Rose :) A little late to the party but glad to be here!

Tamer El-Meehy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
You've got great suggestions here regarding the heat transfer issue. I would only add that the ceramic cup enhances flavor and reduces heat transfer. I would also suggest you try and lower your coil a tad bit more (you have enough room). It will enhance your flavor even more and reduce heat transfer to the drip tip.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
You've got great suggestions here regarding the heat transfer issue. I would only add that the ceramic cup enhances flavor and reduces heat transfer. I would also suggest you try and lower your coil a tad bit more (you have enough room). It will enhance your flavor even more and reduce heat transfer to the drip tip.

Yes, thank you all for the great suggestions!

I'm definitely going to lower the coil, still figuring out how to cut the tails to proper length to get closer. This has been the most challenging thing so far with the Rose, building takes a bit more of a learning curve but I can already tell its a unique vape and I simply love the look of it.. gorgeous device.

I did have the cup in my first build and drip tip still got very hot but again the coil may have been too high. I've got more cups on next FT order.

Reactions: TrollDragon

Tamer El-Meehy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
Yes, thank you all for the great suggestions!

I'm definitely going to lower the coil, still figuring out how to cut the tails to proper length to get closer. This has been the most challenging thing so far with the Rose, building takes a bit more of a learning curve but I can already tell its a unique vape and I simply love the look of it.. gorgeous device.

I did have the cup in my first build and drip tip still got very hot but again the coil may have been too high. I've got more cups on next FT order.
Check out eden mods. They have good tutorials and youtube has lots of good tutorials too. The length of the tails is an eyeballing exercise but when you get the ceramic cup you can try inserting the small allen wrench in your coil, then place the allen wrench with the coil in the diagonal wicking slits in the cup (don't put the cup in the building deck just yet). This way you'll have your tails protruding from the two tiny holes in the cup. Invert the cup to see the tails and cut the tails to the desired length (I cut them at about 5 mm). Then placing your forefinger on the coil and wrench to hold them in place in the cup, align the wicking slits on the cup with those on the building deck try to lower the cup (and hence your tails) in place.

Since you don't have the cup just yet you might wanna try putting the coil next the building deck to see how long the tails should be. If you align the top of your coil with the edge of the basin where the cup is placed you should be good to go because when you insert the coil tails in the holes it will be placed lower. Like I said this will be essentially an eyeballing exercise.

Eventually you'll get the hang of it and you'll be able to change your coils and wicks in no time. With the right build the Rose provides a real classy and flavorful vape. It was my favorite RTA by far. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
Check out eden mods. They have good tutorials and youtube has lots of good tutorials too. The length of the tails is an eyeballing exercise but when you get the ceramic cup you can try inserting the small allen wrench in your coil, then place the allen wrench with the coil in the diagonal wicking slits in the cup (don't put the cup in the building deck just yet). This way you'll have your tails protruding from the two tiny holes in the cup. Invert the cup to see the tails and cut the tails to the desired length (I cut them at about 5 mm). Then placing your forefinger on the coil and wrench to hold them in place in the cup, align the wicking slits on the cup with those on the building deck try to lower the cup (and hence your tails) in place.

Since you don't have the cup just yet you might wanna try putting the coil next the building deck to see how long the tails should be. If you align the top of your coil with the edge of the basin where the cup is placed you should be good to go because when you insert the coil tails in the holes it will be placed lower. Like I said this will be essentially an eyeballing exercise.

Eventually you'll get the hang of it and you'll be able to change your coils and wicks in no time. With the right build the Rose provides a real classy and flavorful vape. It was my favorite RTA by far. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks so much... yeah, I have watched a bunch of vids on the Rose and was actually using my allen wrench when I broke my cup :( I think the clone isn't quite the same space as maybe the authentic. My bad, I pushed to hard when it wouldn't really fit. I'll try a smaller instrument next time.

I've still been vaping it this evening and really enjoying it. Still getting hot drip tip if too many pulls in a row but I haven't lowered the coil yet either.

Nevertheless I do believe it's going to be one of my favs and already have a 2nd one in my FT cart for my next purchase :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread