Status
Not open for further replies.

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys and gals, I just wanted to put a mod review out there for a product that a lot of people have proably never heard of. I was browsing the web for a VV mod because the provari was just way too expensive for me. I came up on Vapor moon and I was wow-ed. A little homemade site that reminded me of something out of geocities. But what stood out was the product.

A touch sensor mod available in 3.7 (18650), 5v (16340 stacked) and VV, completely custom made with a ton of options. About a dozen powder coat colors, another dozen engravings, glow in the dark and clear coats, and an option for 5amp high power circuitry to run your dual/triple coil cartos. I sent one email to Sir lawrence asking him a couple quick questions (those questions escape me now) I liked the answers, so I bought one.

$165 and a week later I got my Saber and it was awesome. I set it to 4.4v because I use ce2's and anything higher meant that the thing won't wick very well. I liked it a lot but it wasn't without its problems. First problem... The threading on the atty connection wasn't quite right.

DSCF0110.jpg

I corresponded with sir lawrence to try to fix it, because it bugged me. My GLV had a similar problem and it eventually caused me to strip the threads and the GLV no longer accepts my 510 cartos. I wanted to get it to work. We agreed to try a 510 extension to get it to work, and it did.
However.... Not long after trying the 510 extension, the device shorted out. It fired constantly, and it would have been toast. I had to send it back. Sir Larence built me another one, which took another week, and here's the result.

DSCF0115.jpg DSCF0111.jpg

The thing is SWEEEEEEET. The cracked ice powder coat is thick, the carved lines are deep, and look great, and firing a Totally Wicked DCT at 4.5v is the closest to vape heaven that I've ever experienced. I've tried a range of voltages between 4 and 5v on 2.8ohm ce2's, 3ohm boge's, and 1.5ohm DCT's, and the butter zone is 4.5v. The only thing I haven't tried is a drip atty because I'm waiting to buy an HH357 510.

The positive: Looks awesome, Custom made, Vapes like a champ, VV, Available passthrough bottom cap, Built like a tank, Tons of options, Great communication with the seller, 100% made in the USA by a guy in a shop in maryland (can't beat that for supporting the home-based modders), Lots of safety features (even the battery spring is designed to deflate if your batterys are overheating) Heatsink keeps it very very cool.

The Negative: 1st one was messed up a little, vv unit needs "High Power" option to rock dual coils, touch sensor is a little touchy (I work outdoors and my hands get VERY dry, so once in a while I need to lick my fingers to get it to fire, but after that it fires just fine), Battery life seems short for 1,500mAh (2 x cr123a AW black 750mAh), shorter warranty than it's 3.7v and 5v counterparts (90 days vs the 5 year warranty of the non VV versions)

Overall those negatives don't even come close to outweighing the positives, and the fact that I shorted the first one was most likely a fluke. I don't know if I can recommend this over a pro-vari because it does all of the same things, and can also run Dual coils without a problem, and dual coils are my new favorites. I do know that I will not try to put a gooseneck or adapter on the saber anymore, and I will consider switching to 18350 batteries for a little more battery life, according to tat_skull, they'll fit.

Saber touch VV mod. Black Ice Heavy Texture, Nickel plated Smooth caps, Turned Racing stripes, High Power option, AW Black cr123a batteries:
Looks: 10/10
Build: 8/10
Performance: 9/10
Durability: 9/10
Support: 10/10

OVERALL: 9/10

I'm a tank vaper and the saber touch is the perfect tank mod. I will amend this review when I grab a 510 atty and drip it, but it's a carto-vapin machine.

Thanks for your time everyone, and I highly recommend this mod. Working with Sir Lawrence is a great experience.

wolfstone5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2010
Somerset, Pennsylvania
Nice review! Bummer about your first mod! I've been seriously considering buying one myself. Now I'm leaning towards the Provari since they released their 3.5 amp V2 model. It won't have a problem with the DCC's or LR atomizers anymore. Still, the 5 amp, HP option on the Saber Touch VV is mighty tempting!

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
Nice review, and it looks like an interesting unit.

One thing caught my eye:

I was browsing the web for a VV mod because the provari was just way too expensive for me.

$165 and a week later I got my Saber and it was awesome.

The Provari starts at $159 (satin) or $179 for color options. I'm not seeing much savings there, if any.

Hope you enjoy it -- it's a very interesting mod. :)

Karn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Adel, GA
And dont forget it comes with a 5 year Warranty (not an optional 2 years) its a good deal for sure.

(edit When i get a 2nd job The Saber Touch VV and Provari are on my to buy list lol, for now i have a Lavatube on the way. Being broke, living in a small town with few jobs sucks)

Last edited:

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Actually the VV version has a 90 day warranty because of the nature of the VV circuitry. If you adjust it too much, you'll kill it faster than you would with a 3.7/6v or a 5v regulated mod. Saber's 18650 3.7v mod and 5v mod both have the 5 year warranty. However Sir Lawrence will temporarily extend the warranty for (I think it's $45) if your mod breaks after the 90 days.

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Sure, we've been using stacked batteries in flashlights for years, granted we don't put flashlights up to our faces, but I've never had a DD unprotected, un-vented flashlight blow up in my hands.

The safety features that I know of off hand are: 2 vents in the battery area, Battery spring is replacable and designed to deflate in the event of a battery failure so that there's no contact with the device, Large heatsink, under load battery protection, and the device will not operate if the battery voltage drops too low (I believe 3.5v but that's probably not 100% accurate) I'm sure the mod's creator will have a better imput than I do.

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Note: DO NOT Let any metal contact the switch and another piece of metal! I had mine lean up against my ego-t for a few minutes, and it ended up cooking both my batteries, and the carto that was in my tank (pitched both the batteries and the carto for posterity). The upside is that I get to see how well my ce2 arry tank works on it while I wait for new DCT cartos.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
Note: DO NOT Let any metal contact the switch and another piece of metal! I had mine lean up against my ego-t for a few minutes, and it ended up cooking both my batteries, and the carto that was in my tank (pitched both the batteries and the carto for posterity). The upside is that I get to see how well my ce2 arry tank works on it while I wait for new DCT cartos.

A similar thing happened to GrimmGreen. He talks about it in his review.

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
A similar thing happened to GrimmGreen. He talks about it in his review.

I saw that when he first posted it. I wasn't paying attention at first and I thought it was a bad battery reaction or something, so I tested my batteries and they all read OK. It happened again and I realized that it was leaning up against the ego. I'm just happy that it didn't melt my tank.

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica
Build: 8/10
Performance: 9/10
Durability: 9/10

OVERALL: 9/10
I will amend this review when I grab a 510 atty and drip it, but it's a carto-vapin machine.
Great review. It has been a month and a half any follow up. Thinking of getting one. Curious what is wrong with the build, durability, and performance to get it less then a 10/10 Thanks for the info. :)

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
It's good. It sucks up batteries like crazy but that's to be expected. It does misfire once in a while but that's avoidable. It gets hot occasionally especially considering I work outside, and it's getting warm. It's a little too big for regular pocket carry especially considering that I vape 90% tanks. I keep it between 4.3 and 4.6v and it's perfect for 1.5ohm DC cartos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread