The Samsung 48G 21700 4800mAh battery is not rated 10A/35A!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    This cell will become more available soon so I wanted to clear up some incorrect ratings info that has been posted.

IMG_0462.JPG

The 9.6A "Max. discharge current" specification in the datasheet states that it is "not for cycle life". This means it cannot be used when comparing the current rating of this battery against others that have a current rating that ensures a long cycle life (number of charges/discharges).

IMG_0371.jpg IMG_0370.jpg IMG_0368.jpg

In the datasheet's cycle life performance table they use a 4.8A discharge rate to meet the specification for good cycle life, 500 cycles for the 48G. But other batteries only use 250 cycles for the life of the battery. This means the continuous current rating we would use is somewhere in between, probably around 7A-8A.

I've been sent screen captures of vendors/distributors saying this battery has a 35A pulse rating. This is not true! Like the ridiculously high "pulse rating" you see for the 25R and VTC batteries it comes from a misreading of the datasheet.

The 48G has a "Max. pulse discharge current" specification of 35A for 10 seconds. This is not a rating! This is a one-time pulse capability. It cannot be a repetitive pulse rating unless you know how long you have to wait between pulses and what criteria they use to set the rating.

The "max pulse" numbers are only meant to be used for designing the battery pack protection electronics. These numbers cannot be used for comparing one battery to another.

Here's one reason why...
    The internal resistance specification for the 48G is <=50mOhms (0.050 ohms). Let's assume 40mOhms.

If we pulse the 48G at 35A that results in a voltage sag of 1.4V. So this battery will instantly drop to 4.2V - 1.4V = 2.8V on the first pulse. It will then drop further in voltage as the battery is discharged.

That's why 35A cannot be used as the "pulse rating". It is undefined and results in huge voltage sag that makes the battery useless.

So be careful when you see numbers for a battery that seem fantastic. The details matter a LOT. I hope to be testing this battery within a few weeks.

listopencil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    Thanks again Mooch, if it weren't for you we would all go POOF!
    If it's too good too be true, then it's probably not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yep. I wanted to make sure to say thanks to Mooch as well. Great info that I can't really gather myself and it's very appreciated.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2016
    Fredericton NB Canada
    Can't wait to see the test results. Sounds perfect for a vaper like me, 9600mAh with 2 batteries! Of course if I buy a mod for them the "new" nitecore chargers say they take 22700's so that will probably be out for the holidays at this rate. Stores are gonna need to carry like 20 different batteries soon lol. High amp, high mAh and middle ground 18650, 20700, 21700, 26650 etc...

MellowMan77

Sep 2, 2017
    This cell will become more available soon so I wanted to clear up some incorrect ratings info that has been posted.

View attachment 679683

The 9.6A "Max. discharge current" specification in the datasheet states that it is "not for cycle life". This means it cannot be used when comparing the current rating of this battery against others that have a current rating that ensures a long cycle life (number of charges/discharges).

View attachment 679685 View attachment 679687 View attachment 679689

In the datasheet's cycle life performance table they use a 4.8A discharge rate to meet the specification for good cycle life, 500 cycles for the 48G. But other batteries only use 250 cycles for the life of the battery. This means the continuous current rating we would use is somewhere in between, probably around 7A-8A.

I've been sent screen captures of vendors/distributors saying this battery has a 35A pulse rating. This is not true! Like the ridiculously high "pulse rating" you see for the 25R and VTC batteries it comes from a misreading of the datasheet.

The 48G has a "Max. pulse discharge current" specification of 35A for 10 seconds. This is not a rating! This is a one-time pulse capability. It cannot be a repetitive pulse rating unless you know how long you have to wait between pulses and what criteria they use to set the rating.

The "max pulse" numbers are only meant to be used for designing the battery pack protection electronics. These numbers cannot be used for comparing one battery to another.

Here's one reason why...
    The internal resistance specification for the 48G is <=50mOhms (0.050 ohms). Let's assume 40mOhms.

If we pulse the 48G at 35A that results in a voltage sag of 1.4V. So this battery will instantly drop to 4.2V - 1.4V = 2.8V on the first pulse. It will then drop further in voltage as the battery is discharged.

That's why 35A cannot be used as the "pulse rating". It is undefined and results in huge voltage sag that makes the battery useless.

So be careful when you see numbers for a battery that seem fantastic. The details matter a LOT. I hope to be testing this battery within a few weeks.

@Mooch
    Thanks for all your information and battery test results. Can you please direct me to a list of dependable battery sellers? I know I've seen in a post somewhere where you listed the ones that seem to sell authentic batteries. But now I just can't find that post. I know one was Liion, but there was 3 or 4 others too.
    Thanks!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    @Mooch
    Thanks for all your information and battery test results. Can you please direct me to a list of dependable battery sellers? I know I've seen in a post somewhere where you listed the ones that seem to sell authentic batteries. But now I just can't find that post. I know one was Liion, but there was 3 or 4 others too.
    Thanks!

Some good vendors...
    www.akkuteile.de
    www.illumn.com
    www.imrbatteries.com
    www.liionwholesale.com
    www.nkon.nl
    www.orbtronic.com
    www.rtdvapor.com

Reactions: Rossum
    Status
    Not open for further replies.