The Shopping Mall Experience....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
I have tried most of the major shopping Mall in KL ...always gotten the attention of the Security guards but they always stop in mid-sentences(wish I record / videotaped those events :p )....Always be polite and they will really ask a lot of question (like why no smell ?and where's the smoke? and why no fire?..all the definition of smoking is absent..and they can't prosecute you for that!) but they'll let you go on your way without a bother(the penalty in Malaysia is RM 5000= US$1612 if caught smoking in Banned Areas)...In fact some of them are my trial patients now...good eh? :cool:

Anyone had experiences like these? ..care to share...? :)

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Wow, you're a brave man, I still haven't mustered the courage to walk around our malls with mine. The ban is quite new here and security guards tend to be over-zealous!

You're absolutely right about the politeness thing - people just tend to be intrigued from my experience in bars.

I'd love to know if anyone else has puffed theirs in proscribed places?

SJ

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Smokey_Joe said:
Wow, you're a brave man, I still haven't mustered the courage to walk around our malls with mine. The ban is quite new here and security guards tend to be over-zealous!

You're absolutely right about the politeness thing - people just tend to be intrigued from my experience in bars.

I'd love to know if anyone else has puffed theirs in proscribed places?

SJ

Not brave SJ...I just wanna test the waters and challenge the Authority...I'm ready to start the fire and make public awareness for what I am doing is right and should be acceptable...I want my MOH to know that what we are embarking on is the best and safest way to fight back the tobacco plaque and also givings us more option than just taking pills and stupid gums/patches which is all crap and expensive....and full of side-effects..just think, paying our hard earned money for pains from side-effects.All throughout my trials,none of my patients complained about side-effects ..lots of praises and joy though.
Next week,I'm going to the Hospital to meet a bunch of Skeptical doctors and I will smoke them thru... :D

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
Excellent, so is this meeting a specially set up one to discuss the e-cigarette? I'll be amazed if your fellow medical professionals don't see the potential!

Good luck - I can't wait to hear what happens.

Also, being in the UK, I would love to see our medical community here taking notice of e-cigs. Do you have any suggestions as to how to bring it to their attention?

I have shown it to my general practitioner during my routine check-up but GPs here are so busy that, although he was surprised and interested by it, I don't think he will be likely to pursue any investigation into it himself (his area of specialization is sexual dysfunction, although you might say that is tangentially connected to smoking).

SJ

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Honestly speaking , most doctors irrespective of their speciality or just GP(like me) wouldn't be bothered unless this e-smoking thing is started by a Pharmaceutical company...It is a sort of inborn instinct for doctors to start prescribing or promote only if it goes thru a certified legit Pharma company....thus to take this device and to say that it is a better alternative than pills will indirectly blurred the border of medicine and new tech...it takes a 'smoker doctor' (like Me ;) )to understand and realise the potential of this device..like they say.."Only a smoker knows" . ;)

windblown

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2008
USA
jimldk
Honestly speaking , most doctors irrespective of their speciality or just GP(like me) wouldn't be bothered unless this e-smoking thing is started by a Pharmaceutical company...

I'll have to admit that I was quite disappointed in my doctor's reaction to the e-cigarette. He had been after me for years to quit smoking, so I thought he would be interested and excited about a device that could help many of his patients. Instead, his first comment was "Don't fool yourself.....you're still taking in nicotine." I explained about the different levels of nicotine and that I was now using the low to zero levels. He agreed that was good, but still no excitement, no curiosity, no real interest. As I left the office, I had the sad feeling that he would never give it a moment's thought again. :cry:

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
windblown said:
I'll have to admit that I was quite disappointed in my doctor's reaction to the e-cigarette. He had been after me for years to quit smoking, so I thought he would be interested and excited about a device that could help many of his patients. Instead, his first comment was "Don't fool yourself.....you're still taking in nicotine." I explained about the different levels of nicotine and that I was now using the low to zero levels. He agreed that was good, but still no excitement, no curiosity, no real interest. As I left the office, I had the sad feeling that he would never give it a moment's thought again. :cry:

I'm sorry to hear that ,big Bro...my medical colleagues can be a pain in the ... :twisted: ...very self-righteous and not open to suggestions....
I had a big argument the other day with a medical doctor friend(a non smoker) who says that it is another gimmick and it is still smoking(he believes in Chantix)...he couldn't understand my point and he will only understand it only if it was sold by a medical approved Pharmaceutical company...hummmmph!!!.. :x
I know I'm facing a uphill mental battle but I am still firmly in my stance(I got my clinical trials to prove..it becomes very important now..my proof at least to say that even the smoker did not stop smoking at least he is smoking safe and healthier!!)

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
Would you say that the concept of 'harm-reduction' generally has a place in the medical profession?

There are plenty of other examples where, to a lay person, it would seem that harm reduction was wholly preferable to the status quo. ...... addicts, for example, being prescribed pharmaceutical grade ...... so they can maintain their habits without A. Suffering the consequences of impure supply and B. Inflicting harm on others through crime in order to maintain their habit.

There have been trials in the UK of this, but they don't seem to have gone beyond that. I know drug addiction is a political hot-potato, but I also wonder if there is some resistance within the medical community?

In a way, I can sympathize with doctors' resistance to non clinically tested products - it's just a shame that only big pharma have the money to put their products through the expensive clinical trials process.

SJ

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Smokey_Joe said:
Would you say that the concept of 'harm-reduction' generally has a place in the medical profession?

In a way, I can sympathize with doctors' resistance to non clinically tested products - it's just a shame that only big pharma have the money to put their products through the expensive clinical trials process.

SJ
That concept always ingrained into most medical professionals but it shouldn't stay that way.I believe being more pro-Active will have far higher expletives results and more desirable outcome as the general whole perception.

Healthcare shouldn't stay stagnant..it should be dynamic and ready poised for actions to be implemented whenever a new drug or methods is being found and field tested as wide as possible.I don't like the whole attitude of Wait and See and I Told You So kind of potshots taken by the general public and medical professionals ..don't leave it to chances and early steps does help in long term success of any new evolution or revolutions. :)

djinni

Mar 23, 2008
I took my NJOY to my DR. and he was quite impressed by it. He had me take it apart and asked me what was in the cartdrige. I told him nicotine and propylene glycol . He said it was great and wrote down the name of the E-cigarette and told me he would start suggesting it to patients trying to quit. I told him since I had started using it I went from a pack a day down to a pack a week or longer. I've also smoked it in a grocery store and Wal-Mart. I had a couple of people ask what it was. Once I explained a little about it they said they had relatives they would reccommend it to. So far, my experience in public has been positive. I also made a YouTube video about it titled "Smoking Without That Pesky Lung Cancer".
I wasn't thrilled with the NJOY cartridges but once I got my hands on some cherry e-liquid I have been one happy camper!

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
djinni said:
I took my NJOY to my DR. and he was quite impressed by it. He had me take it apart and asked me what was in the cartdrige. I told him nicotine and propylene glycol . He said it was great and wrote down the name of the E-cigarette and told me he would start suggesting it to patients trying to quit. I told him since I had started using it I went from a pack a day down to a pack a week or longer. I've also smoked it in a grocery store and Wal-Mart. I had a couple of people ask what it was. Once I explained a little about it they said they had relatives they would reccommend it to. So far, my experience in public has been positive. I also made a YouTube video about it titled "Smoking Without That Pesky Lung Cancer".
I wasn't thrilled with the NJOY cartridges but once I got my hands on some cherry e-liquid I have been one happy camper!
Good job :) ...spread the new "gospel" as much as you can because you'll save lives whether directly or indirectly... :)

Hello All,

This is my first post here, in fact I have never tried an e-cigarette yet but I have ordered my NJOY and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Like a previous post, I consulted my doctor who has been on my back for years to quit smoking, about the e-cigarette. I printed out several pages of info from the web and gave it to my doctor and he seemed really interested. He even asked me to get back to him after I receive the product and let him know what I thought about it.

My state (PA) is ready to start a state-wide ban. My fiance is in the food delivery business and his company recently informed him that the ban will now extend to the delivery trucks. So he is very interested in this as well.

Xanth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2008
Rot & Ruin
I just spoke to my family doctor today. Am having a bad sore throat and the first question she asked me was if i have started quitting. I told her about the e-Cig and she was pretty excited and requested for more information.

I'll show it to her once my order arrive.

Back on the topic, I've read on some local forums that there are a few Singaporeans who tried e-smoking in the cinema. Other than a few weird stares, nothing bad came about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread