Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Hello folks,

Robert uses different waxes / varnishes / lacquers for the finish of the wood mods, depending on the wood. One of the finishes has a very strong smell to it that some people can't smell, but unfortunately I can.

I have an 18490 Woodvil / Utile with that smell on it, but a month in coffee and a few weeks in fresh air solved the problem and the Utile and I are good friends now.

But I have a VVW / curly oak that I simply can not use because the smell of the varnish / wax / whatever it is taints the taste of the juices I use in it. This mod has been in coffee for several months, it even was in the Spa in Maine, but I can still smell and taste the dreaded finish. My wife smelled it when it came new from Maine, but can't smell or taste it now.

So, I would like to know what finish was used on the Utile 18490 and the VVW curly oak - and which types of wood mods use _other_ materials, so I can try to get one of the other finishes once the next batch of wood mods is available.

I am assuming ebony and stabilized will have a different finish - but these will be in the highest demand anyway.

Please don't take this as a critique of the mod itself, I love it. But I seem to be cursed with some reaction to that finish.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
I believe this is from the tong oil . It is bad with softer woods . On the next run of mods I plan to use something mild like butcher block oil on the insides of the mods .
I never realized this for along time . I always use cocobolo mods and the Oder always dissipated quickly . One way to get rid of the oil smell would be to poly the inside of the mod . Once the poly hardens you shouldn't smell it anymore

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Thanks Robert. So, if I understand that correctly, I want to get a mod that has a "poly" finish. Are there woods on which you normally use that so I can look out for those in the next sale? Or could you maybe mark mods with that finish in the shop?

As for the curly oak - I am afraid I will never really use it and I will find a new home for it or maybe trade it for a VVG or other VVW. To refinish the inside would mean to completely strip it to get behind the electronics cover, I wouldn't want to do it, and you need your time for the new mods =)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Thanks Robert. So, if I understand that correctly, I want to get a mod that has a "poly" finish. Are there woods on which you normally use that so I can look out for those in the next sale? Or could you maybe mark mods with that finish in the shop?

As for the curly oak - I am afraid I will never really use it and I will find a new home for it or maybe trade it for a VVG or other VVW. To refinish the inside would mean to completely strip it to get behind the electronics cover, I wouldn't want to do it, and you need your time for the new mods =)

I have a VVG TO trade ya Chris.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
I love the smell of mine :). I'd put it right up there with new car smell.

I hate the smell of flavored juice. hate it.

Heh, I can understand that. But there is something in that tong oil stuff (if that is it) that really turns me off. I can't stand it, not even traces of it. I know others don't mind or even like it. I ... don't.

Edit: Haha - I knew the PMs would start flying - please hold back, I've not yet decided what to do =)

Matthew Bye

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Turlock, California, United States
Heh, I can understand that. But there is something in that tong oil stuff (if that is it) that really turns me off. I can't stand it, not even traces of it. I know others don't mind or even like it. I ... don't.

Edit: Haha - I knew the PMs would start flying - please hold back, I've not yet decided what to do =)

but, but but....ohhhh....okay...:p

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I'm really sensitive to the however-slight-it might-be smell of finishes and substances in waxes and oils. Heck, soon after I open a bottle of common furniture "lemon" oil (and many other things)my lips swell up and/or I get rashes all over and/or develop a headache. I can apply Howard's with bare hands and have no issues with it BUT....

I over Howard's a big bowl of wood REOs by literally pouring it over and into them and soaking. As the bottles were off the wax got into the silicone tubes. And that was several finishes whose finish odors had dissipated enough to use prior to soaking. Several I cleaned the insides with hot alcohol and soaked the tubes with bottles of alcohol attached for days. And some in coffee for weeks. Even though there was no strong odor sniffing the Woodvil when I tried vaping them there was tainting of juice. (I have other Woodvils that escaped the Howard's bath that I can use.)

This leads me to believe (this is belief only and not proven yet) the silicone tubes may have had the wax sitting in them long enough to have "permanently" infused the Howdard's odor in them and then taints the juice. (The solidified wax had to be squeezed out of tubes.)

The only way I can prove this theory is to replace the tubes. I have not done that yet despite having new tubes waiting.

It might be worth a try first running lots of heated alcohol through the tubes, remove tubes, reclean any parts you couldn't get to with tube attached, and putting virgin tube on. That's what I've been planning on doing for over a year. In the meantime the Feisty Tainted Woodvils are really fine to look at.

Feisty Alice

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
((Alice))

Yes, it is really nice to look at in the shelf - I know it well. At least I know now that I am not alone. I switched the tube out, but that didn't help.

I think Robert is right and the smell comes from the inside of the mod, where the wood is somewhat rougher and can hold the oil like a sponge would.

Maybe I'll just leave the woodvils of the next batch for the young'ins that never had a chance to get one. On the other hand, my ninja-reosmods-shopbuying-skills would go to waste. And they are sooo pretty and comfy to hold and use.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Chris I wont be using tong oil on the inside of mods again . I would say if your sensitive to odors get a wood mod that is a hard wood .The finish cant penetrate as deeply . The only time I have had customers complain about the smell is with softer woods . Oak is one that will hold the odor pauduk walnut you want to stay away from . Again I dont see it being a problem next run . There are some woods that bother me koa for one omg if I have to mill koa I break out in hives my nose starts running .

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California

THIS don't smell and has a poly finish. Granted I have had a long time but didn't smell when it arrived. I'd want all my REOs to have a poly finish. :2c:

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
THIS don't smell and has a poly finish. Granted I have had a long time but didn't smell when it arrived. I'd want all my REOs to have a poly finish. :2c:
Everyone is different Gil the poly finish is probably not what is bothering him its the tong oil . I soak the inside of the mods with it . Oh and your mod smells like a fireball buddy . I never mind working on your mod it smells nice . Some of the mods that come into the shop oh man nasty nasty nasty e juice

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com

Yeah, I was just kidding about trading my badass no smell, only nic base, clean as a whistle METAL VVG anyhoo :)

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Yes, you wouldn't like this ugly, stinkin' piece anyway, sXd!

*sigh*

vvwlvxoich084.jpg

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Everyone is different Gil the poly finish is probably not what is bothering him its the tong oil . I soak the inside of the mods with it . Oh and your mod smells like a fireball buddy . I never mind working on your mod it smells nice . Some of the mods that come into the shop oh man nasty nasty nasty e juice

Yep our whole house smells of cinnamon after a heavy day of vaping.

you are SUCH a tease!!! :)

(been lusting after that Tesla since i started vaping)

I getting better about not posting the pic out right now. :laugh:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Yes, you wouldn't like this ugly, stinkin' piece anyway, sXd!

*sigh*

vvwlvxoich084.jpg

Damn. That's sweet man. Holy cow. And to only be able to imagine how spectacular it feels in hand.
I hope it works out for you to get it where its enjoyable to you Chris. I could not imagine how much it would suck to even think of parting with it.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
I've had it for more than a year (bought in April 2012) and used it for a total of 3 or 4 bottles of liquid. And yes, it sucks and I am doubting myself for even thinking about giving it away - but technically, it is useless to me and my wife only uses Mini 14500s.

But just selling it doesn't seem right - I'll find a way.

It's a real first world problem, anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread