The smoking Habit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfod

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
TN, USA
I have been a smoker for over 50 years and have tried many of the stop smoking aids-with no success.
Enter E-cig--one and a half week later--I am smoke free. That is phenomenal!!!!!
The house no longer smells like stale smoke--neither do I--even our dogs and cat seem to like me better.
This is an attempt to break the "Smoking Curse" down to its component parts.--A formidable task!!

1. Nicotine--we are all aware of the physiological addictive properties of nicotine.
2. Tactile satisfaction of feeling or handling a cigarette.
3. Taste--this is a big factor in the satisfaction of smoking..look at all the flavors of juice and cigarettes.
4. Visual ---yes, we get satisfaction from SEEING smoke or vapor..ever noticed how a cigarette is not as satisfying in the dark?
5. Smell--this is a tough one, most people, even smokers, don't like the smell of cigarettes. This may be a subliminal satisfaction.
5. Oral Gratification--the experts say this is a significant component of smoking.. could be!! Beyond my understanding..
6. Menthol--I am adding this as I am a menthol user, and nothing else seems to take its' place. It may be as addictive as nicotine.

I am sure there are others, and hopefully, additional ones will be added by more folks.
If we look at how E-Cigs can satisfy the "curse", it sems to satisfy all the requirements very well, except for smell.

Food For Thought

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Welcome Elford, gee, I feel like a kid! It was 37 years for me and I love being a non-smoker!
I agree with your list except for the last. I was also a menthol smoker but after I started e-cigs, I didn't want menthol any more. I do enjoy a spearmint or peppermint vape but that's to clear my taste buds for other flavors!
here's one to add to the list: A sub for food! When I was put on a diabetic diet I almost went nuts..smoking helped. Now of course with all the lovely flavors I don't need to snack!

Elfod

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
TN, USA
I think that could definitely be added,
The menthol thing has been hard to kick, I went from Salem to Kool to Swisher Sweet little cigars to Santa Fe cigars. The cigars were a heavy nicotine load also.
I could not find any juice with a menthol load that I liked, so I found some USP menthol and added that to the juice.
That will turn your eyeballs around in your head. Had to add more juice to calm it down. Good stuff now.
Glad I found out about this technology. I think we are in the very embryonic stages, and will see a lot of improvement soon.

dovelove

Moved On
Oct 5, 2008
  • Deleted by ZambucaLu
  • Reason: supplier spam

moonlight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Welcome Elford, gee, I feel like a kid! It was 37 years for me and I love being a non-smoker!
I agree with your list except for the last. I was also a menthol smoker but after I started e-cigs, I didn't want menthol any more. I do enjoy a spearmint or peppermint vape but that's to clear my taste buds for other flavors!
here's one to add to the list: A sub for food! When I was put on a diabetic diet I almost went nuts..smoking helped. Now of course with all the lovely flavors I don't need to snack!

I agree on that one, MaryKay! Vaping has cut down my snacking incredibly and I've even lost a few pounds. That never happened before in all the prior attempts I've made to quit smoking!

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
I have noticed that as you increase the menthol, the "hit" increases. For menthol users, this may very well be a way to cut the nicotine concentration and still maintain the desired "hit".

Ditto that. I find that I can generally do with a lot less nicotine, but the problem is I crave my "hit"--not the NICOTINE part of the hit . . . just the hit. Menthol is pretty much the only thing that gives me a "hit" with low or no nicotine.

Menthol crystals added to Johnsons Creek Tennessee Cured provides a decent throat hit.

hgielm1

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Maryland, U.S.A.
Elfod - I'd add some of the psychological components of the addiction - like that it's something we've come to count on "always being there" for us/sort of our "security blanket". Don't know if that's true for everyone.

Also, the habit is embedded in all our daily activities - we planned around when we could get our next cig.

Just a thought.

maryjo

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Columbia, LA
Elfod - I'd add some of the psychological components of the addiction - like that it's something we've come to count on "always being there" for us/sort of our "security blanket". Don't know if that's true for everyone.

Also, the habit is embedded in all our daily activities - we planned around when we could get our next cig.

Just a thought.

I agree with you Karen.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
"4. Visual ---yes, we get satisfaction from SEEING smoke or vapor..ever noticed how a cigarette is not as satisfying in the dark?"

This is huge imo. Not as huge as nicotine but perhaps 2nd. Why? don't ask. Something about inflow/outflow and contemplation.... ;-)

One can never:

be too thin
have enough ammo
have enough ejuice

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread