The Sony VTC6 is not rated at 30A!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I'm still testing this 3000mAh battery but wanted to address some misinformation going around. Just like the other Sony VTC batteries, the max continuous current ratings are being read incorrectly.

As you can see in the attached datasheet image the Continuous Maximum Discharge Current rating is 30A, but only if the battery temperature does not exceed 80°C! It is a temperature-limited rating and this is critical. You can see in Sony's discharge graph that the temperature exceeds 80°C at only 20A. This means that the 30A rating is only a maximum current level for short-term discharges and is not a true continuous rating.

Below the 30A Continuous Maximum Discharge Current rating in the datasheet you can see the true continuous rating, 15A.

My testing of the VTC6 so far shows that this 15A rating is a bit conservative, compared to other batteries, but I don't know by how much. It is definitely not higher than 20A as clearly shown by Sony's own discharge graph (showing that at 20A the temperature rises over 80°C).

I should have my tests done in a few days as I am also directly comparing the VTC6 against HG2's and 30Q's

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      635.1 KB · Views: 1,003
    • image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      251 KB · Views: 1,006
    • image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      561.4 KB · Views: 958

systemsmile

Mar 29, 2016
    Hi Mooch, I am a little vaper from Taiwan.
    I would like to ask you that could I translate and repost your battery tests in a Taiwan vape forum named vapors.tw please? Your tests are very helpful information and I wish I can share them to people who can't read English.

I will write down "Author: Mooch, Resource: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum "in every reposts.

I will looking forward your reply. Thank you^^

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hi Mooch, I am a little vaper from Taiwan.
    I would like to ask you that could I translate and repost your battery tests in a Taiwan vape forum named vapors.tw please? Your tests are very helpful information and I wish I can share them to people who can't read English.

I will write down "Author: Mooch, Resource: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum "in every reposts.

I will looking forward your reply. Thank you^^

Of course, no problem. Thank you for asking!
    Please include a link to my blog here at ECF so everyone can easily get the latest version of the tables and read the articles (if they can).

Reactions: systemsmile

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
    I'm still testing this 3000mAh battery but wanted to address some misinformation going around. Just like the other Sony VTC batteries, the max continuous current ratings are being read incorrectly.

As you can see in the attached datasheet image the Continuous Maximum Discharge Current rating is 30A, but only if the battery temperature does not exceed 80°C! It is a temperature-limited rating and this is critical. You can see in Sony's discharge graph that the temperature exceeds 80°C at only 20A. This means that the 30A rating is only a maximum current level for short-term discharges and is not a true continuous rating.

Below the 30A Continuous Maximum Discharge Current rating in the datasheet you can see the true continuous rating, 15A.

My testing of the VTC6 so far shows that this 15A rating is a bit conservative, compared to other batteries, but I don't know by how much. It is definitely not higher than 20A as clearly shown by Sony's own discharge graph (showing that at 20A the temperature rises over 80°C).

I should have my tests done in a few days as I am also directly comparing the VTC6 against HG2's and 30Q's
    80C ? that sounds really high does it really get that high when vaping

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    80C ? that sounds really high does it really get that high when vaping

Almost never. The only times I've seen it that hot is with mech mod users with super sub-ohm builds, around 0.05 ohms. At around 60°C it's too hot to hold in a closed fist. 80°C is too hot to rouch for many.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread