Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Hi all. Today I got a personal email, offering me to enter this comp. How did they get my personal email adress when I have never dealt with them?
It wasn't sent to me from this Forum, it came directly from vaping.com.

vaping.com is owned by the same people as ECF.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi all. Today I got a personal email, offering me to enter this comp. How did they get my personal email adress when I have never dealt with them?
It wasn't sent to me from this Forum, it came directly from Vaping.com.
I used to get those too until I was forced to make a personal introduction between vaping.com and my spam filter.

Vaping.com seems to be playing a game where they use the legitimacy of ECF to scrape addresses for marketing. Depending on the exact relationship between the two it is probably illegal. A court fight would be required to force the issue though.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I just direct vaping.com emails to spam.
On ecf I have all manufacturers and suppliers as well as religious and social forums on ignore. The only supplier/member I've found that I can't put on ignore even though I would like to just to clear up the spammy nature of ecf is @low_tar_neil who works at vaping.com

low_tar_neil

ECF Tea-boy, Vaping.com guy
Admin
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 20, 2008
    www.vaping.com
    On ecf I have all manufacturers and suppliers as well as religious and social forums on ignore. The only supplier/member I've found that I can't put on ignore even though I would like to just to clear up the spammy nature of ecf is @low_tar_neil who works at vaping.com
    I really don't want to bother you so you've been removed. FYI you entered the Innokin Kroma competition a while ago and indicated you wanted to be contacted about other giveaways, so you were on that list in the competition platform, you're not any more however.

low_tar_neil

Admin
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 20, 2008
    www.vaping.com
    Oh, ok. I never knew that. Thanks.
    All good then. :thumb:
    Yeah sorry about that, happy to remove you if you like from any futher emails, it just got sent to everyone who had previously entered a giveaway and indicated they were happy to hear about more.

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
    Yeah sorry about that, happy to remove you if you like from any futher emails, it just got sent to everyone who had previously entered a giveaway and indicated they were happy to hear about more.
    No, all good. I thought somehow someone not associated with here had somehow got my email.
    Not a problem. :thumb:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    The problem I understand is that the internet is not free to produce. It’s cheaper than almost any other media format by a fairly wide margin, but still not free. Money has to come from somewhere. I am willing to put up with ads, be they posts from manufacturers or whatnot primarily for this reason. It turns out some of them are actually even useful.
    Manufacturers are to an extent the cutting head of improvements in vaping. Not a particularly trustable one, but it is none the less the position they stand in. I do what I can to reward them for doing that by doing things like filling out surveys and providing product feedback when I can.

I do not like being datamined though.

I consider it a personal violation. Hence vaping.com gets to converse only with my spam filter. I got some spam recently from aspire as well. That may have been because I bought one of their few remaining NX75-As off their website. (They’ve still got a few btw. All that is left is blue and red). They got the thick majority of my monthly vape budget. For sending me email, they get to talk to my spam filter too, but I was happy to learn that a company actually made an affordable mod with a USBc port even if it is a lot boxier than I’d like.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    The problem I understand is that the internet is not free to produce. It’s cheaper than almost any other media format by a fairly wide margin, but still not free. Money has to come from somewhere. I am willing to put up with ads, be they posts from manufacturers or whatnot primarily for this reason. It turns out some of them are actually even useful.
    Manufacturers are to an extent the cutting head of improvements in vaping. Not a particularly trustable one, but it is none the less the position they stand in. I do what I can to reward them for doing that by doing things like filling out surveys and providing product feedback when I can.

I consider it a personal violation. Hence vaping.com gets to converse only with my spam filter. I got some spam recently from aspire as well. That may have been because I bought one of their few remaining NX75-As off their website. (They’ve still got a few btw. All that is left is blue and red). They got the thick majority of my monthly vape budget. For sending me email, they get to talk to my spam filter too, but I was happy to learn that a company actually made an affordable mod with a USBc port even if it is a lot boxier than I’d like.

vaping.com is ECF's sister company.... ECF is just the forum part, vaping.com is the store part. They have the same owners.

They also aren't "data-mining" you.

They are pretty awesome in that they let you post sales from other shops on their website, or just outside links to products that are less expensive than what they carry, as well as letting you opt out of their mailings if you prefer.

Just about anyone you buy from will send you mailings unless you opt out of it. Back in the day, that used to be in the form of paper junk mail, now it's electronic.

All you have to do is opt out of it..

If you don't want mail from them uncheck the box in preferences, if you don't want to buy from them no one is forcing you, and if you don't want ads become a supporting member of the website.

They couldn't be nicer. Helping people stop smoking is their priority and their concern, and it's obvious in their actions.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    vaping.com is ECF's sister company.... ECF is just the forum part, vaping.com is the store part. They have the same owners.

They also aren't "data-mining" you.

They are pretty awesome in that they let you post sales from other shops on their website, or just outside links to products that are less expensive than what they carry, as well as letting you opt out of their mailings if you prefer.

Just about anyone you buy from will send you mailings unless you opt out of it. Back in the day, that used to be in the form of paper junk mail, now it's electronic.

All you have to do is opt out of it..

If you don't want mail from them uncheck the box in preferences, if you don't want to buy from them no one is forcing you, and if you don't want ads become a supporting member of the website.

They couldn't be nicer. Helping people stop smoking is their priority and their concern, and it's obvious in their actions.
    Which came first? ECF or vapor.com? My memory is ECF.

Was vapor.com created by the ECF leadership? Or was ECF bought by vapor.com?

To what extent is vapor.com and ECF the same entity? How did this come about?

low_tar_neil

Admin
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 20, 2008
    www.vaping.com

It's weird, I've looked for your email all over and haven't found it in any of our lists, is it a different one you used? I'd love to be able to remove it.

• Winner
    Reactions: Opinionated

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    It's weird, I've looked for your email all over and haven't found it in any of our lists, is it a different one you used? I'd love to be able to remove it.
    I’d have to ask my spam filter. A tedious process as the poor thing is a bit overworked. You sound like a person who could answer some of the previous questions though

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Which came first? ECF or vapor.com? My memory is ECF.

Was vapor.com created by the ECF leadership? Or was ECF bought by vapor.com?

To what extent is vapor.com and ECF the same entity? How did this come about?

ECF came first.

Oliver (ECF's creator) went into a partnership with someone (an individual who was his friend) to create vaping.com.. and why not? No harm in that.

Oliver is one of the most outspoken spokesman for vaping since it's inception, and yes, he is 50% owner of vaping.com..

I have no issues with him creating a vape shop.. they've never bugged me..

I have also purchased from them since my posting here inadvertently supports vaping.com, just to make sure its something that I'd support and I have to say they are a fine place to do business and I trust them.

So I stay on this forum and post, advocating in my small way by helping others with their questions.

If you have a problem with it I'd suggest examining what the problem is and consider whether or not you want to support their endeavors in vaping advocacy - since ECF is about advocating for vaping.

This website has done far more for me than I've ever done for them - and no one ever asked me for a thing I can tell you that.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I’ve got multiple email addresses the thing services. It’s not even mine anymore really. Back in the day when google first came out and were pretending to be friendly they had some really good spam filters (which have since vastly degraded in effectiveness) so I moved my main email stuff there. This is partially why it is so tedious. Lacking powerful search features I’d have to manually check each address. I’ve been intending to dump google mail for some time now. I regret even joining it these days. One more chore for the back burner. There’s a lot of research to be done. Is the RBL list still even worth anything? Is there something new? Is google STILL the least ineffective spam filter out there and spam filters are merely being overwhelmed? Many questions I don’t know the answers to.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    ECF came first.

Oliver (ECF's creator) went into a partnership with someone (an individual who was his friend) to create vaping.com.. and why not? No harm in that.
    No. No there isn’t.
    Oliver is one of the most outspoken spokesman for vaping since it's inception, and yes, he is 50% owner of vaping.com..

I have no issues with him creating a vape shop.. they've never bugged me..
    Nor me... much. The little red number at the top of the page is the sort I normally associate with unanswered mails and such, and I feel driven to reduce it to zero, which is the point I suspect. There was also the email instance. That may have happened when the little red number appeared before I learned to leave it alone. It’s also not impossible I bought something or considered buying something too. The effect is the same though.
    I have also purchased from them since my posting here inadvertently supports vaping.com, just to make sure its something that I'd support and I have to say they are a fine place to do business and I trust them.
    I wouldn’t expect any less. One of the nice things about purchasing through a vendor associated with ECF is there is good contact between buyer and seller.
    So I stay on this forum and post, advocating in my small way by helping others with their questions.

If you have a problem with it I'd suggest examining what the problem is and consider whether or not you want to support their endeavors in vaping advocacy - since ECF is about advocating for vaping.
    This has been my impression as well. I do more or less the same thing, though perhaps in a more bumbling fashion. I hadn’t even thought about the email thing until this thread came up. I send more than a dozen emails a day to my spam filter. The OP was the one with an issue though. I solved mine long ago. For some reason I rather than s/he have become the focus of this.
    This website has done far more for me than I've ever done for them - and no one ever asked me for a thing I can tell you that.
    That one I’m not sure I echo completely. This site is all about asking for things. Advice and information mostly.

Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    and I feel driven to reduce it to zero,

I have no such drive.. lol..

At any rate, when you said something in this thread you sounded to my ears to be angry, upset, testy, judgmental, etc etc etc. about it so it seems that just might be the way you talk, and I took you in a manner you might not have been intending. I apologize for that.

Good luck to you.. :)

• Love
    Reactions: Skeebo

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I have no such drive.. lol..

At any rate, when you said something in this thread you sounded to my ears to be angry, upset, testy, judgmental, etc etc etc. about it so it seems that just might be the way you talk, and I took you in a manner you might not have been intending. I apologize for that.

Good luck to you.. :)
    You have nothing to apologize for. They were questions I was curious about and you answered them.

I can get testy about scraping and datamining in general. It’s a behavior I feel is out of control and is being heavily abused in our society currently.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread