Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyGoggles

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I'm just gonna post this in general modding, because there is no sub-forum for charger mods.
Here Goes:
I have created:
An automatic charger and digital battery analyzer that works on all brands and models of e-cig batteries.

Here are the pictures:

IMAG0098.jpg IMAG0099.jpg IMAG0100.jpg IMAG0102.jpg IMAG0103.jpg

Here's how it came about:

I was recently commissioned by a local vape-shop owner to build a device that would allow him to test the mAh ratings of his batteries, and confirm defects in products that were returned to the store.

This posed a challenge for me, as the only way to test(not estimate) the real capacity of these batteries was to fully charge or fully discharge a cell at a constant current with a timer ticking and calculate for mAh based on that resulting info.

There might have been an easier way, but if there is, I don't know it.

First, I considered using a Li-Ion charging circuit to charge the battery, and a clock movement to time the charge.....a mosfet would be connected to the "charge" LED and that would allow the clock movement power to run while the cell was charging, and stop it when it had finished.

A step in the right direction
, but not a solution because this would only allow me to estimate and compare ratings, not accurately test them. After explaining the idea to him he agreed to fund it anyway so I set about building it.

When doing my homework online the next night and composing a parts list, I came across this!:

Amazon.com: "Watt's Up" RC Watt Meter & Power Analyzer WU100 Version 2 --- SALE!: Toys & Games

This was the answer! This is the brain of the SUPERCHARGER! A fully featured, wide range, DC power analyzer that requires almost no current to operate!
( can you sense my excitement?)
I added a high-amp, and a low-amp charging board and a switch to go between them depending on cell size.
I then collected carto connectors for every make and model of e-cig sold in his store(he was happy to donate the ones I didn't have). I made these into a parallel array to be used as the charging output.

I dug a 2Amp 5Volt power supply board out of my parts bin, and stole a 110VAC power cord and matching female connector from a little CD radio I got at a thrift store.

He ordered the "Watt's Up", and a sexy blue project enclosure, and I picked them up at the shop a few days after that.

A few late nights and early mornings later, It was finished and has performed beyond expectations in every test.

It was more than either of us had hoped for.

questions and comments welcome,:vapor:

CG

CowboyGoggles

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Nothing special slimest. Inside the box: power analyzer, 200 mA cahrger, 420 mA charger, 2amp power supply. Switch to decide which charger has power, and connectors for most battery types. Supercharger is super because it can charge a huge range of battery types and analyze current moved to the battery to gauge batteries capacity. No industry specific device like this exists so a man who needed one paid me to make it.

It is rare that I have an opportunity to profit from this hobby of mine. Try not to judge so harshly. I respect your work a lot.

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Nothing special slimest. Inside the box: power analyzer, 200 mA cahrger, 420 mA charger, 2amp power supply. Switch to decide which charger has power, and connectors for most battery types. Supercharger is super because it can charge a huge range of battery types and analyze current moved to the battery to gauge batteries capacity. No industry specific device like this exists so a man who needed one paid me to make it.

It is rare that I have an opportunity to profit from this hobby of mine. Try not to judge so harshly. I respect your work a lot.

I think what slimest is saying is most people that post in the modders forum add links to all the componets they use and schematics on how it is built, so others can attempt their own build. Great job, I would be interested to hear feedback of some of the batteries that failed, labeled mAh ratings of the batteries vs their actual capacities of the test. Of couse a schematic would be nice for others to learn from. Just sayin....
Dan

CowboyGoggles

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I suppose I was wearing my heart on my sleeve a bit there. :oops:
I posted a link to the power analyzer, which is the main component here. the charging boards were extracted from unused e-cig chargers in my parts bin, and the power supply was a sony one from a PSP charger. all parts that I used were taken from the most convenient sources, but could be found and sourced from many different places.

I didn't think to include this information because most ppl have no need for a device like this.
It was custom-made to meet the needs of the proprietor of a local vape-shop. If I had made one for myself, I would not have included all of these features.

his questions felt more like an interrogation. Total BUZZKILL

All I wanted to illustrate in the post was the ability to use this $50 analyzer to do a vaping-related task.

they put the computer into service today in the store and found that it wouldn't charge one battery type, and may require a third even lower-powered charging board. in the 130mA range. I personally tested a Volt 808 battery rated 350mAh and it charged to 317, but this could be accurate considering the efficiency of that battery at it's age(about a year old). I charged a 1100mAh ego battery to test the other board and found that its real capacity was 997mAh. still not a bad battery(new-only cycled twice), and the capacity of the cell may actually be 1100mAh, but it would not be good for the battery to discharge it completely.

My theory about this is that the usable capacity of a cell is only about 75-85% of the advertised rating.
We are unable to reap the benefits of those last bits of juice in the interest of protecting the life of the cell.
Good to know.

how are things in Dothan?
my mother lives in Midland City.

oh, and if you see a skinny guy riding a motorized Columbia Cruiser on the Ross Clark circle, I built that too.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I suppose I was wearing my heart on my sleeve a bit there. :oops:
I posted a link to the power analyzer, which is the main component here. the charging boards were extracted from unused e-cig chargers in my parts bin, and the power supply was a sony one from a PSP charger. all parts that I used were taken from the most convenient sources, but could be found and sourced from many different places.

I didn't think to include this information because most ppl have no need for a device like this.
It was custom-made to meet the needs of the proprietor of a local vape-shop. If I had made one for myself, I would not have included all of these features.

his questions felt more like an interrogation. Total BUZZKILL

All I wanted to illustrate in the post was the ability to use this $50 analyzer to do a vaping-related task.

they put the computer into service today in the store and found that it wouldn't charge one battery type, and may require a third even lower-powered charging board. in the 130mA range. I personally tested a Volt 808 battery rated 350mAh and it charged to 317, but this could be accurate considering the efficiency of that battery at it's age(about a year old). I charged a 1100mAh ego battery to test the other board and found that its real capacity was 997mAh. still not a bad battery(new-only cycled twice), and the capacity of the cell may actually be 1100mAh, but it would not be good for the battery to discharge it completely.

My theory about this is that the usable capacity of a cell is only about 75-85% of the advertised rating.
We are unable to reap the benefits of those last bits of juice in the interest of protecting the life of the cell.
Good to know.

how are things in Dothan?
my mother lives in Midland City.

oh, and if you see a skinny guy riding a motorized Columbia Cruiser on the Ross Clark circle, I built that too.

Fair enough, you are correct with not many people uing this for a daily use except for people with multiple battery types. I have used a charging circuit from a Duracell rechargable battery pack and have not found a battery I could not charge with it, have even charged disposables with it. Seems strange that a 200ma would baulk at charging any battery, even the bigger ones, just would be slower.
Dothan is fine, they are constantly building down here, your mom vape? :) Will keep a look out for a skinny guy on a motorized Columbia Cruiser :)
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread