The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

The thing I realized I was missing on my starter kits... Warmth.

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by NeonH1, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. NeonH1

NeonH1 Senior Member

Jan 11, 2018
    So... I'm pretty new to all of this. I've tried different started kits and am currently using the Eleaf iCare 2. It's a nifty little MTL device that makes respectable vapour production and the 2ml limit gets me through the day quite well.

The one thing I've noticed is when I sample e-liquids in the various shops, they just hit a little better, and I realized it's the warmth of the vapour that does it.

So, I'm trying to find a good MTL device for a nice warm hit.

Based on reviews and what's available to me in my location, I've narrowed it down to the:
    1. Aspire Zelos 50w kit (with nautilus 2 tank) or
    2. Wake Littlefoot or
    3. the old standby Innokin Endura T18

Portability isn't a huge factor as I already own a descent little unit, I'm really just interested in taste and a good reliable MTL vape.

So far the Zelos seems to be best reviewed, but the Wake came highly recommended by a couple guys in the vape shops I frequent, and it's pretty new, so the reviews aren't as plenty.

If any of you have used this or have any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Many thanks,
    Mike

• Like Like x 2
  2. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't know the wake. I had a Zelos mod, liked it, used it, then gave it to the husband to start on as I moved along the MTL trail. If you like a warmer vape you may find you like the 0.7 coil on a higher wattage setting, but you will go through more juice than the 1.8 coil, which has a lower wattage range. Most people find they like one or the other coil, and the Nautilus 2 has its merits as a "first" MTL tank, for sure.

If you like vaping at fixed 18 watts, then you may like the T18, there are many folks that do like it, but it's hard to say for sure if that will satisfy you in advance, and if you don't like the vape, you can't adjust it. Airflow, juice, and the tank is designed for that stick, so most folks who try it do make it work. It's just not quite as adjustable.

Did you ask the vape shop employees what wattages their devices were set to? That might help you determine it.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. NeonH1

NeonH1 Senior Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Hello Anna,
    That is a good suggestion.
    I will ask the two stores I frequent to see what wattage & coils they're using for their samples.
    Cheers,
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fredman1

Fredman1 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    That's one reason why I like vape shops...you can go have a relaxed sit down and vape on their expense...though I always feel guilty and buy something.

• Like Like x 3
  5. tym64

tym64 Full Member

Jul 30, 2017
    I may be wrong, but I THINK?? most mouth to lung tanks run pretty cool?? I had the same issue, just never felt like it was warm enough. I am mouth to lung myself, thing is, I REALLY love the baby beast tank, yes, its a direct to lung, but OH MY, I enjoy it so much more than the mouth to lung tanks.

My thing was I was not cranking up the wattage enough, so I hit youtube, looked at reviews of the tank, cranked it up to 55 watts, and the difference was HUGE.

I have my tank sitting on the Smok AL85. Maybe you could try a nice direct to lung, and yes, you can still mouth to lung them, I do, and that will give you the warmth your looking for. Just a thought. Best of luck to ya.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. NeonH1

NeonH1 Senior Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Thanks for the suggestion... I'm pretty sure every store I sampled juice was set for a DTL vape, but I did just MTL and it was nice. Perhaps I'm going to have to consider a DTL mod. Thanks you.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    The tank determines you draw. The Kanger Toptank has versatile airflow and the coils provide good flavor and last a good while. Using the rba head takes the flavor up a notch. Have you considered an rta? You have much more control over your vape with one.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. NeonH1

NeonH1 Senior Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Thanks again, TBH I'm not sure what RTA stands for, I'll look into it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Rebuildable Tank Atomizer. You install the coil and wick vs using a drop in coil.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. redeuce

redeuce Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 11, 2017
    Chicago suburbs
    F77D5C82-FA08-4078-BC69-F9E65B1BDD66.jpeg F77D5C82-FA08-4078-BC69-F9E65B1BDD66.jpeg Don’t know the Wake. Looks interesting. The Zelos, N2 is good. The T18 or T22 are simple, dependable workhorses. My wife and I started on those, and they stay in the rotation to this day, even though we both advanced to VW.

I’ll throw in another. IStick 30w with T18 tank. My wife has this as her main unit. I actually like it better than the Zelos.

My Freedom Smokes sells the T18 tank for 8.95. The iStick 30w you can find cheap. Lasts all day, nice display screen, small, internal battery. Nice looking too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. redeuce

redeuce Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 11, 2017
    Chicago suburbs
    Oops. Double pic post

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  12. vapdivrr

vapdivrr Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    maybe drop in coil mtl tanks, but not mtl rebuildable rtas...I vape strictly mtl tanks and they are definitely not cool....in fact I found it opposite the couple time I tried a sub ohm tank doing dtl. When I tried dtl with open airflow, I just couldn't get that warmth I was use to, but maybe I didn't go high enough with wattage...I set up my rtas with 26 or 28g wire, single coil between. 6 to 1 ohm around 25 watts with small chambers and it's pretty hot imo. But drop with drop in coils maybe so like you said

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  13. NeonH1

NeonH1 Senior Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Many thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that.

• Like Like x 3
  14. T0mmy1977

T0mmy1977 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    I had to shelf the Crown III because at its range of 80-90 watts it is just cool and not satisfying. I get a better vape from the Crown I (80-120 watts, .25 coils). The Valyrian is great with the airflow closed off 2/3 of the way.

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. NeonH1

NeonH1 Senior Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Just an update... of the many devices I've looked into and researched I ended up choosing an innokin ez watt. It was much cheaper than the zelos 50w, and apparently the 1.5 ohm at 14 watts delivers a warm satisfying MTL hit. It was the suggestion of the istick 30w with the innokin tank that let me to the ez watt system.
    I'll send another update when I receive the unit.
    Cheers,
    Mike

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Opinionated

Opinionated Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    I don't recommend being a new mod guinea pig... best on new mods to wait until many reviews from actual owners come out...

While your vape shop people might be nice, they still want to sell you something. .. so dont go with that wake or whatever it's called.

My advice only.

How warm or cool your vape is, is up to you... if you don't think a coil is warm enough try increasing the wattage a little... won't need much increase more than likely, but a tiny bit can sometimes make a difference.

Your vape shop atomizers that are used as testers are RDA's. The vape shop employees build the coils that go in them and use organic cotton wicking. .. the flavor in those will always be better than a tank using factory atomizers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. NeonH1

NeonH1 Senior Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Hah... I didn't realize these units were so new. So... I guess I'll be the guinea pig for this one. As a current hybrid smoker/vaper (now down to 2 cigarettes a day, the rest vaping)... I should have a relatively good unbiased view of this machine for the smoker looking to switch. I'll report back with my findings :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Opinionated

Opinionated Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    i must apologize because I hadn't heard of Wake Mod Company, but i did some research and found out who they are.. and their products should be really good. The owners of wake mod co. are the original designers for dotmod, they separated from dotmod over 2 years ago and it seems they've started wake mod now. (It used to be called another name when they first began it - rise - but they have since changed the name to wake.)

So.. I was confused and not very up to date.. for that I apologize. The Wake littlefoot should be a fine mod for you If you choose to go that route.

I'm saying this for everyone's benefit, I'm sure many were just as confused. .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. NeonH1

NeonH1 Senior Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Thanks for the information regarding the wake. There are a couple reviews on the unit from one of my local shops for this device. The opinions on the unit are inconsistent. So I chose not to purchase it. It may be an amazing machine, but I didn't want to drop $89.00 CDN to figure it out when I could pick up the Zelos 50w for $69.00 or the Innokin ez watt for $45.00.
    I ended up choosing the ez watt for a couple of reasons. 1st t20s seems to be very well reviewed and it's the same tank, with different coil options pending on wattage. If I don't like the tank, I could swap it out for the nautilus 2 tank. 2nd the price seemed very reasonable for a mid-level machine.
    For those two reasons I thought I would try it out.
    I'll report back with my comments on the EZ Watt

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. NeonH1

NeonH1 Senior Member

Jan 11, 2018
    update... so I received my Innokin EZ watt today. I've filled it with MLB tobacco juice at 18 mg nic. I'm very happy with the device. At 18 watts the 0.8 ohm coil delivers a warm satisfying vape. If you take a quick MTL pull, you get a good amount of warm vapour. The taste is great and the amount of vapour it produces is very respectful. This is the closest machine I've used that really feels like taking a pull on a cigarette. The MLB juice I purchased by fluke is the closest e-juice I've used that taste like tobacco. All in all I'm very happy with the machine. I've not tried the 1.5 ohm coil, nor do I know how this machine will perform in the long run... but this is a great machine for those getting of cigarettes. Some mentioned that they would like a tighter draw... but I actually found the resistance perfect for my tastes.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.