Status
Not open for further replies.

John Edwards

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Tunnell Hill, GA
in the tobbacco molecules section of Perfumer's Apprentice youll find a lot of diverse additives for tobac flavorings. ive been really intersted in exploring these and was wondering if anybody has some experience with them they'd like to share? so far ive used:
1)tobacco absolute, dilluted 50% (its tricky at first but i really enjoy using it)
2)ethyl maltol (great flavor softener, alone it makes a perfect cotton candy flavor)
3)acetylperidine (i never use it. it tastes/smells like corn chips, havnt found a good use for it)
4)koolada (gives the cool feeling in the back of the throat, great used with menthol
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
these are all ive used so far. but as a lot of you probably already know, theres like a BUNCH more. for floral notes,spicy notes, nutty..mid notes, top notes, etc there seems to be everything i would need right there to make some intense flavors, i just some idea of were to start for a good string of combinations i could go off of. id really like to take a stab at a flue cured type, or just a good Marbro type. does anybody have any experience with these theyd like to share? has anybody tried some of the real unheard of ones just to experiment with and had any luck? thanks in advance ;-)

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I have used quite a few and the main one I use in tobacco flavors is Guaiacol, it lends a very smokey flavor to the mix. Another is Acetyl Pyrazine, it lends a nutty flavor to my mixes. And lastly Tetramethylpyrazine which lends a peanutty flavor to my mixes.
One mix I make is 50/50 seedmans Rum/Virgina fire cure with some of the Guaiacol mixed in. It does not take much Guaiacol, a little goes a long way!
Hope this helps
Dan

aprioristic

Moved On
Oct 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I haven't messed with any of these yet but I do read a lot about flavoring chemicals. Here's part of the entry I have on guaiacol:

Aroma threshold values: Detection: 3 to 31 ppb; aroma characteristics at LO%: phenolic, smoky,
spicy, medicinal, vanilla, savory meaty, woody with a bourbon whiskey casky nuance.

Taste threshold values: Taste characteristics at 2.0 ppm: woody, phenolic, bacon, savory, smoky and medicinal

Natural occurrence: Detected in the distillation product from guaiac resin; guaiacol is found
in castoreum oil, in the essential oil from flowers of Pandanus odoratissimus L., in the distillation waters of orange leaves, in the essential oil of Ruta Montana L and in the essential oil of tobacco leaves. Also reported found in lemon peel oil, bog blueberry, asparagus, cabbage, celery, onion, chive, tomato, peppermint oil, rye bread, Parmesan cheese, butter, smoked fish, meats, barley, dried bonito, malt, hardwood smoke, cognac, beer, brandy, rum, whiskies, sherry, grape wines, cocoa, coffee, tea, peanuts, popcorn, soybeans, avocado, beans, mushroom, sesame seed, mango, tamarind, rice dill, licorice, corn oil, cuttlefish and other sources.​

Guaiacol is sort of the grandaddy of a whole bunch of smoky/roasted/coffee/meat type flavors and there are a lot of similar chems that could work as well.

PA sells it at 1% solution in PG, so that is 10,000 ppm I guess. Seems like you would need to cut it down quite a lot, but then we need stronger flavors for vaping too.

John Edwards

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Tunnell Hill, GA
nice! very helpful. my experience with koolada hasnt been that great so far, which im not realy into cooling, mentholish vapes, but i get a lot of ppl asking me to make them those types. Dan, anything on koolada ratios? and anybody used anything else from the molecules section and/or recipes that incorporate them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread