The Tree Family - Home of Glassmanoak's Tree Peeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
Here all the meat is gone, most of the beans, all of the bread. Finally went out to look, ashamed really over the fear people are doing. Nicest restaurant closed. SMH.

Well the court let me extend our meeting to May as they want a "light" work load next month, so good there. Our electrical company though is doing something very new to me. They sent an email to all their customers, during this "crisis" they will not shut down electricity to residents, and that helps.

Dang it forgot the TP... for fun:

NO TP, paper towels, hand wipes in the whole panhandle..... well think like a homeless person after getting frozen bread since that is sold out and hot dogs since I have hot dog buns went to the restroom just for TP and got a few days worth, hey gotta do what ya gotta do.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: liblue1

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
The rumors of my passing are greatly exaggerated lol.... not yet. Trying to keep it light and funny as the world is in panic. I heard on the radio a great idea for the entire US. Put your Christmas lights back up and out, to add that light everyone loves to ease people's minds. I like it, lets do it all year just for the peaceful look it brings.

I could say much more but will pass.... glad to hear from you, was wondering myself; and everyone else. On that note look how happy it makes you feel:

• Love

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
Well I already cleaned my small apartment and don't have much to do so:
“Abby? Abby are you ready?” She came out of the house, the snow had stopped; her father was near the sled getting the dogs ready for the hunt. “Just a moment father let me get my bow.” She ran back into the house, it was warm and smelled good, she grabbed her bow.

Her mom said. “Abby get your coat.” Abby placed her bow back down and grabbed her coat made of wolf skin, it was very soft, the hair tickled her nose a little and her mother came over to her with a wicker basket. “Here take this with you, you will get hungry.”

The basket was warm and heavy a pot inside with a towel covering it and making another barrier, Abby took it after putting her bow on her back and went out the door, the air fresh, the trees around their home had been cleared a long time ago to make the house, the stream downhill was still running, so not as cold as it could get in the deepest of winters.

She got on the sled with her father, he turned to her his beard was much whiter now than before, his forehead had many lines running across it, and he said. “What is this?” Abby took the lid off and moved the towel aside, there was flat bread for dipping and taking the lid off the clay pot inside, a wild pig stew with vegetables and gravy. Abby took a piece of the flat bread and dipped it in, she scooped and a little fell on her coat.

“Oh.” She said in disappointment. “It’s okay we can clean that later. Do you remember the spot we found where the water pooled and was a great spot?” He asked as he took a piece and dipped it in, and started chewing. “Uhh hmm.” She responded with her mouth full eating. Her father swallowed and said. “We are going there and have a ways to go.”

He handed the reins to her, she looked at him surprised. “What you have driven them before, come on lets go.” Abby said. “Come on boys.” The dogs heard her and perked up, each still weighed more than she did. She flung the reign up and the dogs pulled as they pushed with their legs on each side to ease the start up and off they were going.

She grabbed another piece of bread as she watched to her left and got more of the stew; it was good her mother sure knew how to cook. “Dad, how did you meet mom?” He sat up and looked at the sun moving through the trees in thought.

“Well I never was one to be around people, I prefer nature as cruel as she can be and wanted to be out in the wild. I found the spot our house is on, and near the stream and smaller trees found it perfect to harvest and build. I was outside one day in the summer and had been cutting down more trees for the house. Getting tired I took a break and laid down near some brush.”

“I heard a twig snap, and not knowing what it was got ready for any type of animal to come, and looked around; there she was gathering food from the forest, berries and roots. The most beautiful thing I had ever seen. She looked over to me still hiding in the bush and said she knew I was there; and to come out.”

“I asked her how she knew, and she responded that she could smell me from a mile away. I had worked up a good sweet and stunk something fierce. I asked her if she was from the nearby village and she said yes. She asked me where I lived and I told her in the wild and building a house and pointed over to the start of it.”

“She followed me to the house, very small only to my chest at the time. I told her that a few more stacks of wood and I was about to start the roof, she entered into it through the entrance, there was no door yet. She said it looked like it was going to be comfortable but needed a fireplace to warm and cook by and pointed where it should be.”

Abby looked at him and said. “So she told you were to put it, did she?” He cleared his throat and said. “No, I was going to put it there anyway.” “Sure dad.” She said back smiling and then noticed a fell tree in the way and slowed the dogs to a halt.

“Oh man, we will have to go on foot from here, that makes it a little longer than I wanted; but it will have to do. Get your stuff.” Abby grabbed one more piece of bread and finished the stew and noticed some had fallen on his beard. “You have some food on your beard.” He said back. “Saving it for later.” With a wink.

They both dug the spikes in on both sides of the sled to hold it in place and took a smaller sled off the back that they could carry. She pet the dogs as he took the sled and pushed it over the top of the fallen tree, he got on top and said. “Hand me my arrows please.” She grabbed his quiver and gave it to him, and he placed it on his lower back.

He pulled her up and then dropped her down on the other side, he dropped down he wore many layers of animal skins, more than she. Abby was a little torch and needed less than he did, he picked up his bag of supplies on his shoulder a bit and grabbed the sled and started to pull it forward.

“So when did she finally move in….” her voice got fainter as they left the dogs behind, and it was silent. The dogs whimpered a little and then laid down, they had more energy than that short ride. A rustle was heard to the side and the dogs turned to it and looked over as a female bear came out.

The dogs did not bark and got up wagging their tails, they knew her she had come around many times and was saying hi. The bear came down and grabbed one of the dogs with its front legs and hugged the dog, the dog just let it, and then started to lick the arm of the bear. She sat down and pushed at the others coming around her, playing with them.

After a few minutes the bear finally grunted a few times. “Uhhrr, uuuhhhrrr.” Slowly her two cubs came out, carefully. The lead dog lay down on the ground its paws in front of it, and one cub came close and sniffed his feet. It inched closer and finally licked the dog’s nose, the dog licked it back. The cub finally felt safe and having a lot of energy, stood on its hind legs and pounced down on the dog, with no claws. The dog went to its back showing its belly and they spun around playing in the snow.

Tom listened, and said to Abby. “So your job is to hunt?” Abby looked at him and said. “Well yes, we farmed, gathered and hunted; what do you do?” Tom smiled and said “I am a knight I fight for the king.” Abby looked confused. “Fight for the king, what do you mean?”

Tom shrugged his head, dirty blonde like hers but short cut his face was mostly shaven, it had been a few days. “Well sometimes people attack the kingdom and we go to stop them, and if they do not stop we go and teach them a lesson and take over their land for a time.”

Abby stopped Runner. “You take their land?” Tom stopped as well. “It happens all the time and for as long as I have been alive, not all are a civilized people.” She wondered what he thought was civilized. Tom said. “We are almost there, you probably will be shocked a little.”

They started to come out of the woods, and her eyes got bigger, a port city. Rocks had been placed in a long line in the water for the boats to more, there were many types large and small in the water, she could see some further out and nets being thrown out and pulled back in. The entire city looked to be made of stone, some of wood.

There were so many people more than she had ever seen before; smoke came out of many chimneys, the smell of food cooking in the air. Tom breathed in. “Uhmm the food, wait until you try the food, you can be my guest at the table.” Abby looked at him. He said. “There is a banquet as well with the king and queen and a feast like no other, and entertainment, drink you name it.”

“And you can go to this banquet?” Tom said. “Come on lets go, I said I work for the king, his name is King Stephen, she is Queen Adeola, they have over 200 servants.” “200!” Abby said in astonishment. Tom shook his head yes and said. “It takes a lot of people to cook for so many, to wash the bedding and clothes, make new garments, tend to the flock and animals; yes over 200.”

They came closer to the city and the noise of people busy got louder, there was music in the distance at first they passed thatched houses and then it turned to a mixture of clay and brick and finally to larger stone. They entered the market, children were running around with poles and long flags flowing behind them, red and white, some had blue and purple.

She followed Tom into the city and saw the castle it towered above them, tall and overlooking the city; she then noticed cages. Inside were men, woman and children, in one she saw a young boy probably around eight alone in a cage his hair messed up and he looked very hungry. “Why are these people in cages?”

Tom kept riding and said. “Those we conquer who will not stop fighting we take as slaves.” Abby stopped her horse and got down, she walked over to a stand where food was being sold, she asked how much for the turkey leg she saw, the man told her but she did not understand and took out a piece of silver. The man’s eyes got big, he handed her two and then a lot of change, as Tom watched over them and made sure she got the right amount.

Abby went over to the young boy in the cage and handed him both turkey legs, he took it fast and bit into it taking a large chunk into his mouth, and chewed fast; he smiled at her. Abby got back onto Runner and they continued.

“How will I know who the king and queen are?” She asked, he responded. “You will know when you see them, surrounded by guards and at the top of the stadium for the best view.” After a few more minutes they passed into the arena, there were knights in armor sitting in chairs, two were dueling with swords, the crowd was cheering.

Abby stopped she could see people looking her way, and a man came up. “Are you selling those skins and swords?” She looked down at him and said. “Yes.” He said “Those are antique I will take them all.” “All?” she said in astonishment. “What is your price?” Abby looked over at Tom, he said to the man. “Michael I know your kind, pay her the fair price.”

He took out a leather purse and poured gold coins into his hand and started to count, he finally counted out 36 pieces of gold and handed it to her, and then added ten more. “For the horses, if they are for sale.” “They are.” She took the 36 pieces and added it to her purse, and just like that all was sold and she looked at Tom.

“Not a bad day’s catch if you ask me.” He pushed his horse forward and Abby was able to see how he said she would know. The king was in sitting in the shade of the tarp above, a thick hat on his head, a heavy coat, what looked like a gold chain around his neck and rings on his fingers. The woman beside him, was in a white dress flowers stitched on the garment, her hair was up in a bun, her attire was less flaunting.

She had earrings, and rings on her fingers as well, a simple necklace but with a stone hanging in the middle; she waved at someone across the way with a smile.

Abby could see in the distance archers, and said. “I can do that.” Tom had stopped his horse and got down. “Well actually you will not.” “Why?” she asked. He said back. “Woman are not allowed to participate in the games, but can watch.” Abby looked at him, she said. “That is bull, I can do better than any man here.”

Tom shrugged, and said. “It is what it is. I need to get suited up” He took the latch off a bag on the side and took out a cloth and handed it to her. “What is this?” She asked. “This is the crest of my family, keep it with you, cheer me on.”

Abby took the cloth; two lions were on it, a shield and sword and axe. “I will be back out in a few, just go watch and enjoy.” Tom went to the left he handed over his horses to a boy who took them to a coral with many others, he armor taken by a few more and followed him under the stage to be dressed.

Abby let Runner be taken as well and walked with her bow and arrows on her, her dagger on the side, two smaller hidden by her shins. She went past them in the rear as two other men started to duel. She finally made it to the stands watching the archery contest.

Men were lined up, aiming and shooting. They all hit the target but few arrows were even near the center. She watched from the side, children were running around the a pole crisscrossing each other weaving the cloth down the pole, a festival, one man was passed out under a tree already drunk early in the morning. A boy went up to him and tickled his nose, the drunken man swiped, and the boy kept on laughing silently. The man kept at it, eyes closed thinking a bug.

Abby watched for some time and finally got tired of seeing them miss the mark, she took an arrow out and got ready, as the men loosed she did as well, hers hit center and with one more arrow than those in the contest they looked around and finally saw her with her bow in her hand.

“You, come here!” A large man said to her, the crowd looked at her, and she went forward looking at them all, the crowd was silent. “Did you shoot that arrow?” “Yes I did.” “Why you are not allowed?” “These men can’t aim and hit that target this close, then they are not very good archers.”

The man put up a finger to the crowd, and said. “Okay, okay then do you see the target way out there?” Abby nodded yes. “Hit that then.” He stood back as she aimed, and loosed, the arrow flew and hit just left of center, but still center, she took another arrow and loosed it, it hit just right of the first. Her third hit dead center all in the middle.

The man and the crowd watched, and some woman and girls in the stands started to cheer. “Give her the reward.” They started to chant. “Give it to her!” The crowd got louder and even some men stood and clapped at her accuracy. Then it all went silent the people around her knelt down, and Abby turned.

The queen was walking towards her, with guards. “I am queen Adeola, and you are?” “My name is Abby.” The queen got closer to her and looked her over, and asked. “Are you here with anyone?” Abby took out the cloth Tom gave her and handed it to the queen. “I came with Tom.”

“You know Tom?” She waved off the guards and gave the cloth back to Abby. “Show me your skill again on the closer target.” Abby took an arrow and hit the center dead on, and her second arrow split the first. “What do you do for a living?” The queen asked. “I am a hunter.” Abby responded. The queen nodded and said to her. “Take the purse your better than any man here.”

She glared at the man, and he took the purse and handed it to Abby, there was more coin inside, the queen went to one of the guards and spoke to him, he took out an envelope and handed it to the queen. She then took it and gave it to Abby. “If any gives you trouble, just show them this paper. I look forward to dining with you tonight and talking to you.”

The queen smiled and walked back to the main stands, and Abby followed behind slowly. She saw a flag with the same emblem given to her by Tom, and then recognized his horse. He was in full armor, a long lance in his arm. He lowered his visor, and nodded across the way. A young male lowered a flag pole in the middle and from both sides she watched as the two came at each other at full gallop.

She saw them both lower their lances at the same time and then they struck each other, both spun slightly in their horses. Abby put her hands to her face; she could not believe what she was seeing. “One point each.” From the opposite side they were given another lance and did the same again. This time Tom un-mounted the other man from his horse, he fell to the ground his armor clanged as he hit the ground, two males went out to help him stand again.

Tom raised his visor, to help himself get fresh air. The king and queen stood and cheered him on; Tom was their top knight in service to the crown for years and trusted by them. Abby watched as many went through the same process and back to Tom. Abby was less afraid as she watched the armor protected them and the lances were breaking on impact easily.

Abby glanced over, and went back to the sword contest arena. Still more armor, but what caught her attention was when one man took off his helmet. His face was inked Blue, and then she noticed a group watching in the stand across from her, more Blue inked faces. They were here.

Last edited:

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
;) may do one more later; maybe:
Abby continued to watch the sword matches, they were not direct blow in the sense of trying to kill, but were damaging. Each time a sword landed the armor a point was called out. There were times that men fell to the ground and gave up as part of their armor pinched close, especially around the head and face. Every once in a while a blow did place that made them stop and tend to wounds but it was very rare.

She went back and watched Tom and his performance was much better than most with the lance he made it look easy. He had obviously done this before.

Tom won match after match and the crowd cheered him, the queen was very pleased and clapped for him and moved near the king and whispered in his ear, she then pointed at Abby. The king looked at her and nodded.

The day was long, and she became thirsty, so she went to a stand and bought a glass of grape juice, it was cool and fresh. She took the change she received in her hand, and the woman who gave her the juice took two small coins, and said. “That is all.” Abby asked for another since she had so many of the small coins, and asked if she could take the glass. The woman said. “Will you promise to bring it back?” “I will.” “Then you may.”

Abby left and watched as Tom was done for the day, he got back off his horse as Abby came closer, his hair was wet the armor like an oven in the sun’s heat. Abby put the cup forward to him, and Tom took it. “Thank you.” He drank of it, but not all, and gave it back. “So is it over, did you win?” Tom said back. “No, tomorrow will be the finals, today was just to find out who would make it to the finals.”

“How has your day been so far?” He asked. “Not bad. I won the archery contest.” She took out the purse that she won, and Tom looked at her confused. “But, how did you win if woman are not allowed?” Abby stated. “The queen came over and saw me and told them to give me the reward, she also gave me this, when I told her I was with you.” Abby took the envelope out from her inner pocket and showed him.

Tom nodded and said. “One day and your already in the in group. It took me years of service to do so.” Abby said back. “It is probably because of you that I am in this in group.” Tom went to the side and under the stand again to have aid in removing his armor. “I have to be honest though Abby, you’re going to need better clothes for tonight.”

Abby looked down at herself, she did not think she looked much out of place. “Trust me, and you have enough to get something very nice. I will take you to a good seamstress.” After Tom got out of his armor, he led her towards the castle; there were butcher shops, metal works, and all manner of shops. She could not believe how easy it appeared to be versus growing up in the woods.

“Here we are, and Tom walked into the open doorway, the windows were also open and inside dresses of all kinds. Abby looked at them and said. “This one looks nice.” A two toned dress, with a black inner cloth. The dress was green on the outside, with one black strip around the upper arm. Green thread wove back and forth on the front, bringing the front together making small circles.

“Well go try it on and see if it fits.” Abby went to the dress and the woman listening said. “This way.” She led Abby to a side room and helped her with the dress. Abby came back out after a moment and looked at Tom. “Well, how does it look?” Tom nodded in agreement. “That will work, you look beautiful.” Abby felt really good, she liked the color and it was soft, so soft compared to what she had before. She rubbed the arm of the dress feeling it.

“I will take it, how much?” Abby took out her purse and again held a lot of coins in her hand; the woman took three larger coins and one smaller one. “Since you know Tom and he spend a lot around here I will give you a discount. Come back and get back in your other clothes and I will wrap this up for you.” Abby got back into her journey clothes and the woman folded the dress and put it in a paper with a thin rope to tie it off.

Tom said. “Come on I need to bath before we go.” Abby asked. “Where are we going?” Tom motioned with his head towards the castle, and said. “To my room in the castle up there, do you see the balcony right there?” Abby looked to where he pointed and saw near the top a balcony or what she thought what he was talking about and followed him.

They came to the large wooden doors, the guards recognizing Tom, he did command them opened them with no question and Abby followed him inside, it was much cooler inside, the ceiling tall above them. There were six giant chandeliers with candles hanging low but not lit.

The floor was made of some type of stone but pretty, veins of different colors in the marble. Columns on both sides of the hall, and grand arches, statues and paintings on the wall. She followed Tom up the stairs and they passed four floors before he turned down the hall, he made it to a door and took out a key, he unlocked the door and stood back. “You may go in, ladies first.”

Abby entered the floor still marble and smooth, she slipped off her boots and took off her socks, the floor was so smooth she could not believe it. On a wooden table in the middle was a basket of fruit. Juice in two containers, and a third had wine. “Help yourself, I am going to bath and get freshened up.” Abby sat in a long chair, elevated on one side and long enough to bring her legs up and rested, it was soft as well, she could feel it.

She heard Tom starting to sing something as she heard water splashing; she closed her eyes and soon fell asleep. By the time Tom woke her; the night was coming on, the candles lit around the room for light. “It is almost time you better go get dressed.” Abby went to the room he bathed in, there was a pool of water, another small desk with a bowl of water and towels beside it, a few used towels used on the ground.

She got dressed and came back out, and Tom came to her and said to her. “Turn.” Abby turned and Tom pulled her hair up and put a pin in it, he made it look like the bun the queen had earlier, and then she saw a chain pass in front of her face as he latched a necklace around her neck.

Tom wore an all black outfit, buttons went all the way down the front. He had a white undergarment that came to his hands, and fluffed out. “I think we are ready.” He went to the door and unlocked it, and let Abby out first, he followed and locked the door behind them. They went back down the stairs and turned to the right, there was a line of people already.

She watched them as they entered two by two, guests, the servants with clay jars and plates, candles lit the hall and inside. She saw as they got closer to the table what was going on and placed her hands forward when it was her turn. From the vase warm rose petal water was poured over her hands, into a bowl below. She shook her hands and moved left and the next lady dried her hands with a cloth.

Tom put his arm out and Abby took her hand around it and followed him in, there were six long tables, some forty people sat at each on both sides, candles in the middle. Cups, vases, and people were going around with plates of food. Tom looked over to the far end at the left just slightly elevated, the king and queen sat with many at their long table.

Tom raised his left arm, and the queen saw him and motioned them over, there were two chairs to her left. Tom escorted her up the few stairs and they passed by people. “Hey Tom, how did it go today?” “Good thank you.” “Tom.” He nodded and so did Abby doing what he saw him do. They walked past the king and finally beside the queen. “Please sit.” She motioned for Abby to sit right beside her.

Abby sat and Tom moved the chair forward for her, servants came close to her; all there was for eating utensils a spoon and a knife. She looked at it, and the queen said. “We use our hands; most don’t have a fork, so we just use our hands. Just make sure to keep your right pinkie up in the air, and do not soil it.”

She showed Abby what she meant and said. “You use the pinkie for the spices you drop on your food, like the salt, pepper, garlic.” A male servant in red and white held a plate in front of her; Abby grabbed what looked like a small pie and placed it down on her plate. But the plate was made of bread. She then grabbed one of each piece of meat.

“Lamb, pork and beef, the fruits will come by later.” Abby looked there was a lot of Blue clothes, mostly servants, more green, the king and queen in purple. The queen had a Tierra made of gems on her head, she wore an all white dress, with more than one shade for depth, around her neck it was clear cloth and the same necklace, and the stone tanzanite.

People laughed as they ate, dancers performed between the tables, from around the world, a man juggled flame, music was being played from the side a lively tune. Tom was talking to a man to his left. The king stood and the room went silent. “Ladies and gentleman of the court, I thank you for coming to the annual games. It has been a very blessed year and may we raise our cups in thanks.”

The king raised his cup of win and all others who would drink win did so, Abby took hers and raised it. “To our health, the prosperity of our people, and a bright future.” “Hear, hear.” Was the chorus and people drank as he drank and so did Abby, the wine was good she never had any before.

The king sat and said. “Feast and be merry.” The music started playing again, the dancers started to dance again and the feast began in full. The queen turned to Abby, and said. “Do not eat the bread plate, it is to grab the juice of all the meats and food and given to the poor after.”

Abby took a bite of the lamb the queen pointed out, she never had lamb, it was good, and she dipped her pinkie into the salt and let a little fall on it. She tried it again and it was better. Tom turned to her and smiled and nodded. She put her hand to her mouth. “Don’t touch your face it is considered rude, but it’s good isn’t it.” Abby nodded yes.

“So tell me Abby.” The queen got her attention. “Have you hunted bear?” Abby looked at her and said “No, arrows my father said are not good for bear, why do you ask?” The queen swallowed a few grapes and said back. “I was told you sold a lot of bear skins today in the market, with a few horses and swords.”

Abby said. “Oh well I worked for them.” The queen noticed and said. “It’s okay we all have our little secrets, so what do you hunt then?” Abby answered back. “I have hunted deer, turkey, wild pigs, pheasant and all manner of bird. I have caught fish, coyote but that really was a defensive measure.”

“Tell me one of your hunting stories, I bet it is interesting. We hunt as well but probably not like you.” Abby asked. “How do you hunt?” The queen took a small bite of the pork and after swallowing said. “We use falcons, a very clever bird with a bad attitude. They have very sharp claws and beaks and can catch small game with no aid sometimes.”

Abby listened and said. “I guess the most interesting hunt I have ever been on, was one in which I caught an animal I was not after, it was after me.” The queens eyes went up and she took the cup of win and sipped and then some lamb as she listened.

“I was looking for a buck deer; he had eluded me for years. Very smart, he would send the does out to the water and to eat. If I made even one sound the snap of a twig they were alerted and ran, this alerted the buck and off he would go always out of range of my arrows.”

“But I was determined my children needed to eat.” The queen put her hand up, and asked. “You have children?” Abby responded. “Yes three boys, and at the time only two were born and young. It was a harsh winter and food was scarce, and I was determined. So I followed. But I was being followed.”

“It was night time and I made a small fire to keep warm and a make shift tent with the cloth I brought and was just falling asleep. Something told me to take one more look. I could feel it more than see and got my bow ready with many arrows when the white and black cat came at me.”

“A leopard.” Said the queen excited, listening intently. Abby said. “If you say so a leopard I do not know its name. It came out at me, hunting the deer as well, and just as hungry. I aimed and hit it in the shoulder and it slowed the cat down for just a moment, but now hurt it was angered and came fast. Fortunately my father taught me how to shoot fast and before it got close I put another three arrows into it.”

“It was not done and still coming it lunged and all I could do was pull my dagger. It landed a blow to my right arm and side tearing my flesh as I plunged my dagger into its chest. I got lucky and hit it in the heart as it was coming to bite my neck. It finally lost strength and went to the ground. I had damaged it enough it was dying. But then I had more important things to worry about the wounds.”

“I rushed to the stream and washed the wounds quickly and had a salve that my mother showed me to use of herbs in the wild and put it on, I still have scars to this day.”

“The leopard hunter that is what I will call you as we speak later. So where do you live now?” Abby said back. “I came from a city that is being made of stone like this one, south of here.” The queen nodded. “That is our soon to be vacation home, when we want to get away. Do you like it?”

Abby said. “It looks grand but not as grand as this.” The queen sipped her wine and so did Abby she felt the spin in her head start up, her fist drink. “It will be much nicer when it is finished, so you have met Denise then?”

Abby said. “Yes, you know Denise as well?” The queen nodded yes. “She is one of the best cooks in the land, she went there to watch over the landlord, he is a very shady man so be cautious around him.”

Last edited:

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
Okay time for a break:
Abby finished her glass of wine as she finished her meal, and she finally asked the queen. “The people who are inked blue, who are they?” The queen turned to her and said. “The people of the north, they are called Celts; a people of nature much like you.” Abby then asked. “And you allow them into your city?” The queen turned to her and said back. “They trade with us, like many other cultures; why do you ask?”

Abby’s head was swimming a little more and it made her bolder and she said. “They killed my husband, burned down our village and hunted me and my son’s like animals in the wild.” The queen put her right hand up to her mouth, forgetting protocol. “That is horrible, are you being serious?” Abby nodded yes and said.

“My husband was a hunter as well, he was just getting back and tried to warn us of the attack that was coming; but he was just in front of them. They struck him down with arrows. I was barely able to get out as I watched them take the youth of our village hostage; they killed the elderly. And as I came into your city I saw people in cages. Are those from these Celts?”

The queen looked at her with a little concern. “Yes they brought people with them Abby, it happens all over the world. It has occurred for a long time and will continue to do so for a very long time. Lands are conquered and with it so are the people. The spoils of war, land, animals, products and people. They are sold into slavery.”

“What is slavery?” asked Abby. “When a person is sold to another person, there is a contract on them. The buyer then has the right to make them cook, clean, tend to animals; the land. Usually those with a lot of money do so, as they have more to take care of.”

“Do you have slaves?” asked Abby. “No, we do not trust them to work for us, and use people from our own land. There are people here who do, it is a big business.” Abby shook her head. “What?” asked the queen. Abby said back. “Then had they caught us, we would have been slaves as well to someone else.”

The queen said back. “But you’re not, and in fact you have enough wealth to purchase some people to aid you if you wish. People who buy slaves can be ruthless I have heard of it, but for the most part why would you damage the thing you bought? You might as well hurt your horses, the same thing really.”

Abby heard enough of it, she said. “Then I do not know if I can stay here, they hunt me.” The queen smiled and looked at her, she said. “Who is hunting you dear? You spent the whole day with them in the city and nothing happened; if they were hunting you wouldn’t they have tried something?” Abby was not certain, she did not understand that time had moved forward and that those she saw today had no clue who she was.

The queen said. “It has been a long day, and the banquet is over. Go get some sleep and we will see each other tomorrow okay?” Abby said back. “Okay.” She scooted her chair back, and stumbled a little. Standing made the wine hit a little harder. Tom stabilized her, and bid farewell to those he was speaking to. He aided her back down the few steps and out to the hall.

“I need some fresh air.” Abby said, and Tom led her to the main doors and they were open. They went outside, the moon was near a new moon and the stars shown in the night sky, she recognized them. She breathed in deep. “Are you okay?” asked Tom.

“Yeah sure, I think so.” She said back and finally Tom took her arm. “Come on, let’s get you to bed.” She followed him up the stairs and he unlocked the door and let her in. “Why do you take and sell people?” Tom looked at her and said. “This is the world we live in, I guess growing up in the woods you just never knew.” Abby sat down in the long cough, she took off her boots and put her legs up and stretched out.

“Can I have another glass of the, what do you call it wine?” Tom shrugged and poured a glass and then took it to her. “Are you going to have a glass?” She asked. “No, I have finals tomorrow, so I want a clear head.” Abby sipped on her glass and said. “Clear head?” Tom laughed and said back. “You will find out tomorrow.”

“So what do you get if you win your contest?” she asked. Tom responded. “There is a reward for winning, but I do not need it. I am just here for the presence so people remember my face and name and to meet new people. I have no need for money. The king and queen have gifted me a lot of land. We have vineyards, orchards, gardens all that one could want. I have servants as well.”

“Did you buy them?” she asked as she sipped and got more comfortable. Tom responded. “Yes, they have been purchased but after a time of servitude they are allowed to go free; most don’t though as they find this new life better than their old one. We teach them how to garden, if they want we allow them to learn to read and write.” Tom grabbed a blanket and placed it over her, the cool night air came through the open windows.

Abby took one more sip, and Tom put out his hand. “I think you have had enough for tonight, get some rest.” Abby gave him her glass and he placed it on the table unfinished. She said. “Okay.” And with her belly full and some wine she went to sleep very quickly. Tom went around the room and blew out the candles; he then went to his bedroom and closed the doors behind him.

Theo was walking around, he listened to Denise describe all the manner of work that could be done and wanted to find where he could help. She told him that Grunk could use help with the water, but there was not enough for the both of them do it all the time.

He watched as the metal workers using a mold poured red and orange into the molds, they were working with flame and it looked very hot. He did not like that idea much. Denise told him one of the easiest jobs was to make charcoal for cooking, the downside staying up for a day and a half, as you could not sleep during the process.

The man who tended to the walls saw him and came over. “You know what you could do that will make you stronger that you can do now?” Theo looked at him and said back. “What is that?” “You could help spin the wheels to bring up the stone, and food to the workers above, and help thatch the roofs of the buildings we have now.”

“What is thatch?” Theo asked. “It is called thatching; you take straw and place it an man’s arm distance deep on top to have the rain runoff.” Theo asked. “Is it easy?” The man chuckled. “No job we have is easy; no matter which you pick it will be a chore to say the least.” Theo looked at people inside the wheels made of wood and they walked forward causing it to spin, making the rope spin around raising the blocks of stone.

“I could do that then I guess.” The man walked Theo over to the others and said. “This young lad is going to help you.” Two large men stopped and said. “Well hope on and get in between us.” Theo got into the wheel and between the two. “Okay first just walk forward as we do, and stay there in the middle. If the rope breaks; well good things don’t usually happen.”

Theo looked at the large stone that was about to be lifted, propped up on two wooden logs the rope was tied around it, and tied of securing it. “And walk.” The man said and they started walking. The stone lifted up, and it did not take long before Theo felt it in his tiny legs.

After the stone made it to the top, those on the wooden scaffolding inside the tower and on the top of the stone hooked the rope and pulled over slightly. They motioned thumbs up and the man said. “Walk slowly backwards.” Theo did as they did and the stone lay down on the top. The rope was untied and the men turned and walked the other way, letting the rope untwist and down the empty rope came.

After one more stone, they had Theo take a break. “Go fetch some water and have some yourself, you need a break little one.” Theo got off when they said it was okay. He went towards the kitchen that Denise owned. In the distance he saw the girl from the stables; she looked at him and smiled. Theo smiled back, she came towards him with a bucket full of water and a ladle. Theo took the ladle and drank of the water. “Thanks.” He said.

“My name is Acacia.” Theo responded back. “I am Theo.” She let him take another drink and Theo laid the ladle back into the bucket. “The men on the wheel said they needed water as well.” She handed him the bucket and as he took it his arms fell some from the weight. She giggled and said. “It’s time for them to eat as well I will go fetch the food, you take them that water.”

Theo watched her walk away to Denis’ kitchen and after she turned the corner, he took the water to the men. About the time they were done drinking, she came back with a basket of food. The men looked in, there was pork and some bread, each took one of each and told Theo to do the same. Theo did and then they tied the rope to the baskets handles; they left a little extra below.

“Okay walk forward.” Up the basket went and when it was above them with the extra rope below. “Stop.” The man got out and tied the bucket of water next, and got back into the wheel. “Okay and forward.” Up the cargo went and was taken by the workers above them. The man then took a lever and placed it in a notch that kept the wheel from spinning.

“Sit and eat young man.” Theo did not wait to be told again he was famished already and the work made him even hungrier. He ate his food fast and walked over to the stone wall in the shade. His eyes closed soon and he napped not used to the labor that he just did, it took many days for his body to adjust to it.

Lattrell and Pallab chose to help harvest the wood, chopping down of trees, cutting and burning them into shape, and moving them to the city. It was hard work as well, but being older their bodies endured longer, but not as long as those who had done so for a time before them.

They stopped when the others did, and each had a meal with them, and being near the stream plenty of water. “Would you like some, I noticed you did not come prepared?” The woman looked down at them; her arms were strong and toned. She had had worked with the wood for years and was fit.

“Please.” Pallab said back to the woman. She let them take from her basket some bread and meat as well. “From now on make sure to bring some food with you for the day.” Everyone sat in the shade of the trees and leaned against stone or wood. The work was hard and after eating most of them took a nap, some of them talked and played around in the water as it was cool.

Something within your family or at home may reach a shining moment of perfection today and you can almost hear the "ding!" to prove it. Keep an eye out because this emergence may be more fleeting than enduring. Though you may need to work through some steps in order to reach a new awareness, staying the course will bring you right up to the edge of it. If you feel like you missed it, recount your day this evening and count all your blessings, anyway -- its a sure way to encourage more.

Last edited:

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
Abby stirred, the morning air was cooled by the night before; and there was a slight chill to it. She opened her eyes and felt a slight headache. She looked around the room and it was still fairly dark, the morning light just starting to come in.

She sat up and put her right hand to her forehead. She rubbed back and forth and the pin had come out and she removed it letting her hair down. She stood up and went to the washroom. She dipped her toe into the pool, the water was not warm, but she had been in colder.

She looked and realized she fell asleep in her new dress. After bathing she got dressed in her normal clothes, and braided her hair, she walked back to the living quarters and put her boots back on.

She saw the unfinished glass of wine on the table, and shoved it to the side. There was a vase of water and she poured a big glass of it and drank it. She then went silently to the door where Tom would be sleeping and listened. There was no sound, so she slowly opened the door and looked in. Tom was not there, he had already left.

She went to the door and saw by the small table beside it a key. She unlocked the door, went out and locked it back. Walking down the hall she saw a man and asked him. “Where do you go to the bathroom?” The man told her to turn and pointed left and there would be a door.

Abby followed his directions, and as she opened the door; the man said. “Just make sure to grab the right side of the stick.” Entering she saw a place to sit and lifted the lid, and she could see all the way down three stories. She felt a little nervous as she sat, wondering if she would fall.

Being done, she left and went down the stairs, there was the smell of food in the air, and she followed her nose. Soon she saw many servants go back and forth, and one came to her. “Morning”

Abby said. “Morning.” “Are you hungry?” the young girl asked. Abby responded. “Not really, but I should probably eat.” The young girl told her to sit down and asked what she would like. “Do you have any fruit and eggs?” The young girl told her yes and she would be back in a moment. There were clay cups and vases, filled with juice and she poured herself some grape juice and drank it slowly.

The young girl came back there were cherries, a peach, two eggs and bread on the plate. Abby pulled her two pronged fork made of wood out and used it to cut the eggs; she placed them on the bread and began to eat. She looked at the paintings on the wall. Many of them were of man fighting animals, one was a giant bear that toward over a man with a spear and shield.

Another was a mountain with snow on the top, thick tall trees in the front with a river flowing through. She ate the cherries, and started on the peach. “Morning Abby and how are you today?” Abby already recognized her voice it was the queen. She turned to see her, and she was being followed by six maidens. Today the queen wore purple, her dress was body formed to her, black buttons, accented by a red collar.

“Come with me, let’s talk a little.” She motioned to Abby to follow. “Yes maim.” Abby put her fork back into her coat, and followed. They walked past the dining area and through a door, came to an open area, arched stone, and beyond a garden with many flowers, a pool of water and she could see fish eating bugs on the top. There were flies spinning in a circle just above and a few fish jumped for them.

“When it is just us, you may call me Adeola; but when we are around a group call me queen Adeola or my lady.” The queen motioned to her maidens letting her know that in that small group her name was fine. She sat in a chair, and motioned for Abby to sit as well.

Abby sat and the queen said. “I was thinking about it after you departed last night. You said you do not hunt bear, but sold many skins. You took those or traded for them; but trading does not seem right. You would spend a fortune for them just to turn around and make no profit. So you gained them somehow.”

Abby felt compelled to speak the truth and said. “When the Celts as you call them were hunting me and my boys, I defended us from them. For each that I killed I took their coats, swords, and coin.” The queen nodded, she knew Abby had told her the truth of the matter.

“Well we have a little while before the finals, would you like to walk with me?” The queen stood and Abby followed her down stairs to the garden below, the roses were full, red, yellow and pink. Abby took one in her hand and smelled it, it was nice.

“I find this to be a very peaceful place to free my mind many times.” Adeola said. She went over to the rose bush and took out a small dagger from under her right sleeve, she cut the rose off with a little stem and then removed the barbs on the sides, and she placed it into Abby’s hair.

“There that is much better, well let’s go and cheer on your champion.” Adeola took Abby by the arm, and lead her past the garden to another set of wooden doors, the stone wall was ten feet tall for privacy large trees near the wall.

After exiting the garden she turned them to the left, and said. “You made a big entrance yesterday; the city is talking about you. So do not be surprised that they will want to see you and to try and talk to you. Beware of this, politics are big, there are people here from all over the world. Politicians and their students, some who would seek to take the throne; others have vengeance on their mind.”

“Feel free to talk to me, or Tom; we can be trusted. But if you are approached try to keep from getting to close to anyone until you find out who they are.” Abby listened and they came to the arena. “Just follow me to the stands, you may sit with me and watch from there under the shade.”

They turned around the first set of stands and guards were now on both sides of them. The people in the stands stood and bowed down at the waist and the queen smiled and waved at them. “Wave to the people, smile and make them feel welcome.” Abby did so, she could see people pointing their direction.

“They are looking at me.” Abby said. The queen pulled her close for a moment and loosened her grip, she chuckled a little. “You have no idea what you did yesterday. No woman has ever dared to break the rules like you did and enter a contest with no warning; you have a rebellious streak to you.”

They crossed over the field of play and to the opposite side, guards led them up the wooden stairs and from the back they went over, the king was already seated. As they came close she put out her right hand and the king kissed it and said. “Welcome my lady, the games are just about to begin; Tom is first up and his opponent is the big man we talked about yesterday.”

Abby sat down after the queen did, guards were behind them all, and flags flew in the air on poles from every person that was in the games. She saw Tom’s flag flying, and then the crowd erupted. Two horses with knight’s came out. She recognized Tom in his armor and his horse, the other man was big, he must have outweighed Tom by 60 pounds at least.

The two came to the center and bowed in the horses to the king and queen, they nodded back to them to continue. Tom looked at Abby and winked, with a grin.

“What are the rules of this game?” The queen looked at her, a strike to any part of the body is a point, a strike to the helmet is two points, and if you can dismount the other you win period. After three turns, the one with the most point’s wins and goes on to the next match.”

Abby watched as the two went to their respective side and lowered their visors; the lances were handed to them. The horses were eager and pranced in place ready for the work, the horses were also covered in armor, and the sun glinted off the shiny metal. The boy with the flag in the middle raised it up, and after a moment dropped the flag.

The two men pushed their horses forward, at full speed in a moment and the two lances came down at almost the same time, and there was contact. Tom turned a little in his horse to deflect the blow, but the larger man took his hit straight on, overweight he could not shift and it was a direct hit.

“One point each, look Tom dented his armor.” The queen said. Abby asked. “Can they die in this game?” The queen did not look at her and clapped with the crowd and answered. “It is very rare, the lances are made to break; this is to be sport and not deadly. Why kill of your best knights if it is not an actual battle?”

The flag dropped and at each other they went again. The lances dropped, and Tom pushed his at the last moment for extra distance, his landed first and turning, his blow turned the other man’s lance and it missed completely.

“Well done, well done.” The queen clapped in excitement. “Tom is in the lead, with one more round to go, if he beats this man he should win the whole tournament.”

The two were back to their original spots, Tom waited he rotated his shoulders and head and got ready. He finally took his lance lowered his visor, and the flag dropped, the horses sped at each other. Tom lowered his just a moment less than the other man, he took the lance to his left shoulder not turning, but planted his square into the man’s chest, he flew back. Losing his grip he fell off backwards off his horse.

The crowd stood and cheered. “The people love Tom; he has never lost at this yet.” The queen stood and cheered and Abby stood with her, clapping, the cheers in the stands were loud.

Tom came to the center to face them, and raised his visor, he bowed to them. The crowd cheered louder, and flowers were thrown down his way, he winked at Abby again and smiled.

“He is in the mood; this is going to be good.” The queen said to Abby, and she motioned to one of the guards, he came over and she whispered in his ear something. The guard nodded and left. They watched as others faced each other, each courageous and headstrong went at each other.

They watched, over the way you could see the finals of the sword fights, men beating on each other sword and fist. They often fell to the ground the weight of the armor and tiring. It was not long before a few servants came with trays, they had vases of fluid and duck and pheasant cooked.

They placed the plates down in front of them; she queen poured herself a glass of water, and ate a small piece of duck. The next time Tom was up, if he won his next round would be the final.

Each scored a point the first go round, the second round they both scored one again. “What happens if they both score again and it is a tie?” Abby asked. The queen took a cherry and ate it, she then said. “They continue until there is a victor.” She clapped for Tom again as they prepared and the flag dropped.

The horses raced towards each other the lances dropped, and again Tom waited just a moment, he was struck on the left shoulder, his hit the man in the visor. Tom won by one point, and the crowd cheered again, the horse could feel it and pranced on the ground, it snorted. Tom patted the horse on the neck and knelt over talking to it.

The horse, listened and it stood erect and pawed the ground. One more round between them and the finals were set. Tom in his shiny armor; and a man in black armor about his size. “Where is that man from?” Abby asked, the queen answered. “Bruges France, oh the bragging rights we will get.”

The two had taken a break as the time of each was not the same, one had more resting time than the other, and it was now the afternoon, the heat of the day had picked up, Abby could tell it was taking a toll on all of them.

Tom sat still on top of his horse, he closed his eyes mouthed something, and crossed his chest with his hands, he breathed in deep. He opened in his eyes, and closed his visor; and took his lance.

“Here we go Abby, the final.” The flag dropped and again the horses raced towards each other. The blows landed, Tom was hit in the visor; but his landed just at the armpit of the other, and the lance shattered as it should but further down it was solid wood. He held hard on the lance and kept through the whole blow. This spun the man it pinched his mail to his skin and turned him. The man in black armor spun and fell off his horse.

The crowd cheered loud, Tom was the champion again. The horse knew it and pranced around again, happy of its job. Tom moved the horse sideways it wanted another round, and it pranced to the center of the stands. Tom took off his helmet, and waved his wet hair in the air. The queen came down as flowers were thrown his way.

She handed him a purse of money and a handkerchief, embroidered on it was her emblem. A white cloth with a lion, flames coming out of its mouth; with red edges and the flame also red. Tom raised his right hand and the crowd cheered, Abby stood and clapped as well.

The king stood and clapped the queen still right in front of him smiled and clapped as well; Tom bowed on his horse, he caught one of the flowers from the air, and placed it inside his glove. He rode to the side as the crowd cheered, and dismounted. He went to get help out of his armor.

The crowd waited for the king, queen, Abby and the guards to leave first. “Wasn’t that grand Abby?” the queen asked. Abby said back. “It was fun to watch my lady.” The queen heard her and realized she had said it right in front of the crowd; she nodded in agreement. She took the kings arm and they went through the street to the stands to see what was going on.

Abby followed behind them, taking it in; the place was festive people bought food, drink. She watched children climbing down from trees, they had watched from there to see over the adults. One little girl came close with a rose in her hand, the guard looked her and let her pass she handed Abby the rose, she smiled at her.

Abby took the rose and smiled back and said “Thank you.” The girl skipped away happy; she had met her hero. She followed and saw the same shop she bought the dress from and as the queen stopped to look at some jewelry outside, she went in. She liked the red and black dress, it reminded her of the games and it was her size. The woman remembered her, she bought it and had it wrapped as well.

The group moved back to the main entrance and the doors were opened for them, they went inside where it was cooler. A few servants were pulling on ropes, and the let go; this moved peacock feathers and that made the air move slightly. The queen turned to Abby and said. “I have some things to tend to, are you going to stay for a while?”

Abby responded. “I will stay tonight, but will leave in the morning; I did not plan on being here this long and need to get back to my boys.” The queen nodded and said. “If you need anything, you just ask as we will see what we can do.” Abby said. “Thank you my lady I will.” She bowed like she saw others do, and the king and queen walked on.

Abby went up to the room she stayed in and unlocked the door; she went to the open window and looked down on the city. She watched the ships moving in the water, one had just docked and they were unloading barrels; another had nets and a lot of fish in it.

She looked to the left and the cages were small from the distance and it reminded her of the boy. The door opened and Tom came in. Abby turned to him and said. “You did a great job out there; I was worried for a while” Tom placed his purse and handkerchief down on the table. “It was fairly easy, I did worry about the man from France he is big.”

Abby asked him. “Do you know that man?” Tom nodded yes and said. “Yes, we have met each other on the battlefield; unless things are dire the leaders hold back until needed. He was taken captive and a ransom was paid for his release, he fetched a good price to; 30 bulls and coin.”

Morning

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
Tom started toward the bathroom again, to freshen up and change clothes, when Abby asked him. “How did they get a bath up here?” Tom stopped and said to her. “Notice it is by the edge of the wall, this is the only bath not on the first floor, the guest room; which I get every time I come back to the city.”

“Under the tub there are large wooden beams, supported all the way back down to the first floor, cleverly disguised below by a large column, so even if the column went, the beams would support it for a while. In case of any destructive force, you would have time to get out and away; though it should not fall. I’m sorry but I need to change as I have a meeting with the king and queen.”

Abby let him go into the washroom, and after a few minutes he came back out, he was dressed very nice a different look. He had a nice jacket over his shirt, and pants; with boots. He went to the door and was leaving when Abby asked one more question. “Is the meeting about something bad?”

Tom turned to her and said. “I cannot say, at least not know Abby.” His expression had turned from a smile to stern and Abby felt a sense of urgency. Tom left and after going down turned to the right, and right again, he walked down the hall to a set of doors, two guards were there and seeing him let him in.

At the end of the table sat the king, the queen just to his right, one seat was left for him beside the queen. Tom walked around and saw the group, some priest, advisors, a diplomat; and military personnel he knew. His heart began to sink.

“Glad you could make it Tom, and well done today in keeping the honors for the kingdom.” The king said. Tom sat down and scooted the wooden chair forward to the table; a map was unrolled on the table. He recognized the small pieces representing foot soldiers, cavalry, archers, and supply wagons.

To the north and east of the city about three weeks march away, was a red set of pieces showing where the threat was. “We have received word from the lands of the north that there is an invasion force, which has looted and torched villages already; land and people have been taken.” The diplomat took out an envelope and cleared his throat.

“My lord, this is the message we received from the messenger.” The king told him to read it out loud. The diplomat started. “To king Stephen, your people and your kingdom have enjoyed the spoils of ours for far too long, we no longer will pay tribute to you. We will take back our land and people. It is signed Lord Arwan.”

The room was silent for a moment, Tom sat back. The location of the coming army was close to his home and family. He had seen enough of war, and had been lucky so far; but one day his luck would run out. The queen turned to him and said. “What do you say Tom?”

Tom sighed and took in a deep breath, he said. “The army is ready, the supplies we need have been stored away for some time. We have faced them before, but just portions and small groups working as mercenaries to other invading forces. If they have already attacked part of the kingdom, and threaten to do more; we must face them.”

The queen listened to the tone of his voice; he had already fought in three battles, two very large; and many skirmishes between. “You do not sound as energetic as you have in the past; are you okay Tom?” Tom waited for a moment and then asked. “May I have permission to get my family and move them to safety?”

The queen said back quickly. “You may, and be quick about it; I want you to meet the army after you move your family. Where do you want it to be after you are done getting them?” Tom looked at the map and thought of the distance and how slow the army would be verses just him on horseback. He pointed at a spot on the map.

“This is a very large flat plane, probably three miles wide before the trees are in the way, on the south side it is slightly higher than the other. If our army can get there first and get ready even with a few days of preparation, we can make breastworks to aid our army. The officers now what to do, and I could be there in two weeks at the latest. The cavalry will need to scout east and west of this location. When they locate them, they need to trick them to this location. We cannot fight in the trees it has to be in the open.”

Everyone listened to him Tom was the General of the Army, and the king said. “So be it then, have the army assembled, and have them set out tomorrow; Tom take 15 men with you to ensure your safety. We cannot lose you; we need you there to lead the men.” Tom nodded yes and said no more, he had hoped that the days of war were over.

The meeting was dismissed and Tom waited until the room was cleared, and he was the last to leave. He walked to the garden and looked at it. He shook his head; he did not have a good feeling about this one. After a few minutes he went back to his quarters, he entered and Abby was looking out when she heard him come in.

She turned and she saw his face, downward and grim. “What is it Tom?” Tom paused, he started to speak; and paused again. He finally spoke. “There is an invading army, basically headed straight for my family and home.” He sat down in the chair that she slept in. Abby came over and sat down next to him. “Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that; what are you going to do?”

Tom breathed in and said. “Tomorrow I leave to warn them and will have them leave to safety; I will send them to the city you live in. It will be the closest place for them as the children will need shelter fast. In about 20 days there will be a big battle; if the information is correct. And I know that what they have seen and report is correct.”

Abby listened and said nothing back, she rubbed his shoulder with her right hand, and he was tense. She finally asked. “Why do you look so depressed over this, you talk as if you have never lost a battle before?” Tom looked at her and said. “I do not think we will win this battle Abby. Revenge is a great motivator, people fight harder for their land; than the defense of something that was not theirs. We will be fighting on the land we took ten years ago. They have had ten years to plan for this.”

“You will think of something Tom, just like you did today; it will be okay.” Abby said, and Tom got up and headed to his bedroom. “I guess I better pack my things, and get ready.” Abby watched him go and heard sounds as he packed his things away.

As the evening came, Tom came back out and asked Abby to walk with him. They left and went down to the garden area. He sat down in a chair just away from the pond and Abby sat next to him, he grabbed a blade of tall grass and pulled it and fiddled with it.

“I want you to get back to your boys, and tell the people to focus on the first wall. They should be very close to finishing the first. Tell them to not work on anything else, get the gates finished, if the wall is at least ten feet tall all around, there will be a great advantage. Have them store food and water as much as they can; I wrote it down. Give this to the man who is heading the building he will know what to do.”

Tom handed her a letter it was rolled up with a red ribbon tied around it, the ribbon was sealed with wax. Abby took the letter from Tom and they sat for a long time as it turned to night; the stars came out and a few fireflies flickered here and there.

The next day Tom was up early, the sun was not even up yet. He could not sleep his mind was spinning; he was trying to see the outcome before it even came. He brought his things into the living room, and looked at Abby still sleeping. He went over to her and nudged her. Abby turned to him and after waking a little, Tom said. “We should get an early start; we need all the time we can save. I will get our horses. Get something to eat, and some for the journey, they will let you.”

Tom left out the door and shut it, Abby got up went to the washroom and cleaned her face and hands with the water, that had been refreshed by the servants. She grabbed her bow, arrows, and all her things. She left the room and went down the stairs.

She went to the dining area, food was already on the table; the servants had already been warned. Many of the higher ranking officials would be eating there today, before they assembled and moved out. She could hear a lot of commission outside. She ate quickly and then asked a servant if there was a basket to take more with them.

The servant came back a moment later and handed her a basket. She filled it with fruit, bread and noticed some dried meet; and placed it in the basket. She gave the key to the servant, and walked to the entrance and stepped outside. There were many people up and watching, with the sun still down torches were lit for light.

She saw many horses, wagons full of barrels, with more barrels on the ground; being lifted into them by men. She noticed one had nothing but arrows, so full they could be seen sticking out the top. A priest was by one and praying, the wagon was covered. Women were near that wagon and putting in bandages, leather straps for tourniquets’.

Tom was walking their horses towards her, and he stopped and looked at the army forming. Abby walked forward, she placed her clothes in a satchel and latched it. She placed her arrows on left side of Runner. Tom told her. “Place the basket in that wagon there.” There was a wagon smaller than the rest, a little of everything and she did so.

“The soldiers who will come with us are waiting at the edge of the city already.” Tom got on his horse, his second tied to the first. His armor in the wagon, and a man sat down in the wagon and grabbed the reigns. “Are you ready sir?” Tom asked the man. “I am sir.” He replied. “Then let’s set off.” Tom kicked softly and his horses moved forward, Abby followed behind him and then the wagon.

As they exited the city and came to the area of the cages, she looked for the boy. He was gone; someone had purchased him. She hoped he was going to be okay and with good people, as all the cages were empty. They passed the wooden structures and the other men got on their horses and waited for Tom to pass. Abby moved up beside him, and they filed in line behind them. One held a flag up that had Tom’s emblem on it.

They departed the city and Tom headed back to the direction in which he found Abby. “Abby, if the army is routed; there is a river that will make retreat difficult. They will turn to the east and then south; that means they will be coming to the city you live in. The enemy would then pursue them straight to you. If you want to stay and defend the city, that is your choice. If you wish to flee, I do not blame you. If you have never seen war before, it is not glamorous like people think.”

Abby responded. “I have seen enough, and to be honest I am tired of running. I think I will stay and defend the city.” Tom looked at her and nodded yes, he smiled a little; at least his family would have one warrior on their side. They rode on as the sun finally crested.
My old master found my number and called last night. Today he gifted to me the money owed by another. Tomorrow I will be back on my feet, and in a few days after; good financially enough for me.

Last edited:

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
I am taking a break from this:
They rode in silence, once the wagon made speed; Tom got them to go a little faster. They made it to the same spot, before the sun went down. Two men went to gather wood; the wagon was placed in the middle, the horses to the left and right. A soldier went to each quarter and looked around to be safe.

The men came back with wood and they started a fire, the man with the wagon took out a vase. He looked at Tom, and he nodded yes. They took a metal pan and placed it over coals let it heat up, and started cooking. The wagon man took a sip of the wine, and passed it to his left. The others sat near the fire, and took a sip and passed it around.

Tom took a sip and was in deep thought; Abby finally had her turn and took a drink since they did. “How many do you think they have in their army?” One asked. Tom responded and said. “According to the reports and the map I looked at, we are outnumber close to 2 to 1.” The man listened to him and took a sip. “Well then we should be able to hit them easier, from a distance.” Tom listened to him.

He spoke. “They will not fall for our trick to bring them into the open; the trees will be to their advantage.” He got up and went to his horse; he took out a piece of paper and a quill and a bottle of ink. He was writing as he listened to the men speak around the fire. The pork chops were smelling good, and pepper was added to it.

“What are you thinking Tom?” asked another. Tom stopped writing and looked at him. “We are going to torch the forest, not before they come; while they are in it.” The man nodded, fire was a good weapon. “This will force them into the open; it might even buy us another day.” He wrote more and shook his head yes.

He waited for the ink to dry and folded the paper, he set the wax in a jar near the fire and let it melt he poured it on the end of the paper and sealed it with his ring. He handed it to the man to his left, and said. “Take this back to the city, hand it to the king; and tell them to be quick about it.”

The man took the envelope and asked as he mounted his horse. “What did you think of?” Tom responded, we are going to move oil to the field and drench it before hand. As they come into the trees we will light it on fire. This will kill many of them, and wound many more; it might even the odds.”

The man left in a gallop back to the city, and Abby took another sip. This was calming them all down. Abby asked. “Do you think you will win now with this plan?” Tom answered. “It will give us a better chance, but I am thinking we have them think we are retreating. Have the supplies already moving to the east and south, burn everything as we go. We can take from the land, and as they follow they will have nothing. Then we can make it to the city and behind the walls; this will be our best bet.”

He continued. “The cranes that they use for lifting the rocks for the wall can be turned into trebuchets rather quickly. The rock not yet used for the wall, will be used as a projectile. Abby have the man leading the building make one as fast as he can, have the range tested, also test the range of the arrows; mark the field on each side with the distance by rocks. Try to make the rocks look natural in placement so they have no clue.”

Abby listened and shook her head yes. Tom looked at her as the fire lit their faces and said. “The army includes the Celts you talked about. They are a fierce people, and one thing they do different they have their children fight with them. There will be many who hesitate to kill a child.” A man across from him said. “If children are trying to kill me, I will have no problem killing them.” Tom nodded and said. “That may be so, but many adults are going to hesitate and we cannot afford that.”

Abby spoke. “If it is them, then they will attack at night.” Tom looked at her and she continued. “When they attacked our village, or each time another; it was always at night. They came at night and torched the village and came in fast and hard. But what I do not understand is that they fight in the winter, as they are hidden that way.”

The one across from Tom said. “If they come at night it will be just as hard for them to see us, as it is for us to see them.” Abby spoke. “Couldn’t we put out torches or set fires as well so we can see them?” Tom thought and nodded and said back. “We will have the city put out all fires, but near the wall. A few scouts can be outside the wall, and light dead brush from the direction they come. Then retreat back to wall.”

The men nodded in agreement and passed the wine, the plan was set. And the expression on Tom’s face eased up some; he nodded yes. Grabbed some food and ate. They all did and soon they went to bed around the fire, two stood guard and took turns through the night; they let Abby sleep.

The next morning, the sun was just starting to come up, the coals were still hot from the night as wood was added to it, and so cooking was fast. They all got ready, and onto their horses. “With luck on our side Abby I hope to see you again.” She said back. “We will see each other again, I am confident in that.”

Tom instructed two of the soldiers to go with Abby and they parted ways. Without the wagon, Abby and the two men made good time. They made it back before the sun set, people saw them as they cleared the woods, and since there were two soldiers with Abby their attention was on them. Facing the north the wooden gates were already in place; the people had been busy, the wall was tall enough at least on this side.

The three entered the city and Abby rode around the city, and started to look for the man the message was for. She made it to the center, and finally saw him instructing people with his arm pointing. She came close to him, and got off Runner. He turned to her and saw her coming with the scroll. She handed it to him, and he broke the seal and started to read.

“Are you serious?” He asked her. Abby nodded yes. The man spoke loudly. “Tell the people to gather we have urgent news.” Those around him left and started to pass the word. The commotion got Denise’s attention and she was coming towards Abby, she asked. “What is going on?” Abby turned to her and said. “An army is coming; we have about one moon to get ready.”

The people who were in the city already gathered and the man spoke to them, he instructed them to focus on the gates on the south and east, one section of the wall needed to be built to ten feet. He said the good news the scaffolding already in place would be good for the archers.

Abby waited for him to finish and went to him and told him that Tom wanted him to turn the machines into trebuchets, and how to find the distance of it and the archers. The man listened and nodded, he said. “The tower is tall enough to see over the walls, so we can go ahead and convert them, as well as those on the north and west of the wall. Once the rest is built we can change those over as well; that should give us nine in total.”

Denise was listening and they fallowed the man as he went to the tower and told them to stop immediately from working on the tower, he looked at what they had and spoke to the others; he told them to take it apart. Others went out to let the others know what was going on.
Almost 15,000 words so deserved; so where is Blue? Been over a day? So busy you can not check in but every two to three days..... maybe by tomorrow.... sigh speaking to yourself you say, that is how I felt for a year. About to get unmotivated to do it here on anymore..... night I guess.

Last edited:

liblue1

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Good morning Treefam...
Yes Tiggs I am so busy and just not dealing with things too well...no I am not sick... just tired....I keep oversleeping so no time to post in the mornings and lately not even turning on the lt till the afternoon....
TGIF!!!!
tenor.gif

liblue1

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Good morning Treefam.....
Sorry for the AFK Tiggs.... things have been hectic here... no it's still in full swing... over 6000 infected and last I heard close to 200 deaths... they are building a make shift hospital in the middle of Safeco field.... it will be for those who need medical attention but DON'T have Corona....
I had to make another shopping trip yesterday but I have enough stocked up for another week... we are on a 2 week lock down....but I need my fresh produce.....

Reactions: tiggerrts

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
Good morning Treefam.....
Sorry for the AFK Tiggs.... things have been hectic here... no it's still in full swing... over 6000 infected and last I heard close to 200 deaths... they are building a make shift hospital in the middle of Safeco field.... it will be for those who need medical attention but DON'T have Corona....
I had to make another shopping trip yesterday but I have enough stocked up for another week... we are on a 2 week lock down....but I need my fresh produce.....
I watched a video from a man called practical prepper and he predicted this weeks ago, said it would overwhelm the system and operation to keep them apart would be performed outside. Something that Americans have not seen like wartime. Sad that this is happening, but it will pass. The media sure is stirring up a frenzy every opportunity they can, but then again their motto and yes I can show video of everything "Never let a crisis go to waste." CBS has been caught using footage from Italy, saying it is NY to show "how bad it is" no scruples at all.

What is disturbing are the youth who say they don't care if they get it, including the "Toilet bowl licking coronavirus challenge" Can't make this stuff up, for 15 minutes of fame puts lives at risk. And then Dr. Phil gets her on, and her response is mind-blowing..... and I read that stuff on the news articles; I guess let the Darwin awards be theirs.

Should have know better than to trust the guy from NC, Amarillo is in shelter in place not here. He still has yet to pay me back, was to contact me yesterday. He says his return still has not come in, though he filed before I did. I don't believe him and he will I guarantee go oh here is 10 dollars that should be good for gas for a week right? Like he did before. Once I get my money in full I am done with him. He crossed the line.

Still have not landed a job, and amazed as I talk to managers. They tell me their hiring back the college kids, and have; though they say. "They don't want to work." My age is becoming a factor and will take anything I do not care. Will keep trying and I have this coming and next month covered as far as rent. Food will become an issue, so time to tighten the belt some more. Went shopping yesterday to get some, people are still hoarding leaving others without.

I tried to do the writer challenge, but all I could do was that 15,000 words before my head just hurt. Anyway and early night from me, not going to bed yet; just saying it now.

• Optimistic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread