The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

The trucker thread

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by WorldPax, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. WorldPax

WorldPax Full Member ECF Veteran

May 21, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I drive a truck, it's a big one, 80,000 lbs fully loaded. Don't get the wrong idea though, I have never worn a shirt without sleeves and typically listen to NPR while driving. I have all my teeth.

Living on the road presents certain challenges when it comes to e-smoking and the following missive is my journey so far. I'd like to hear from others out there and learn from their experiences and maybe this thread can serve as a guide for those to come.

It all started with the little NPro. Njoy rules the truck stops, they are all over. For months I ignored them, it's a gimmick, it can't work, but I finally broke down. Vacation was approaching and I was looking at an eleven hour drive with my non-smoking wife, possibly in her car. THERE IS NO SMOKING IN HER CAR! I don't blame her. There is road-head but that's not within the scope of this "forum"

The only internet access I had at the time was through my trusty Palm 680. This forum works on it, but just barely. So my research was limited and due to time, so were my choices. The Forum said the NPro wasn't bad, so I threw down. Haha, but at half the price. Truckstops give you a penny of store credit per gallon you buy, and I buy a lot of gallons. The NPro got me through the trip, but it sure wasn't going to replace cigarettes for me. Just not enough throat hit.

Home again and intrigued, I hit the net and came up with my next victim, the 801 Penstyle. This one had promise, big carts, big bat-rys, whats not to love? The big carts that vapor-lock and flooded attys on auto bat-rys that's what. The 801 did prove to me that I can be satisfyed by an e-cig, when they work. My analog consumption went down to near zero, but I couldn't be fiddling with this thing while I drive.

I managed to drip the 801 through another week of research and another week waiting for my next purchase to arrive. Bring on the Titan! Well really it was just a standard 510 but we all know it's the same thing. The rumors were confirmed. It hit like a Peterbilt going through a school bus on a back country Texas road. Have I gone too far? Sorry, kicks like a mule is so cliche, and I have a morbid sense of humor.

It still wasn't perfect. The hits can be inconsistent and the bat-ry life is shorter than the projected lifespan of a back country Texas school kid. Oops, went there again, sorry. The 510 is like dating a supermodel. Lot's of fun, small package, but comes with a lot of baggage.

I can't have baggage. During the week I live in a space the size of a twin bed mated to the front of an SUV. Between the PCC and the pass-through I had cords everywhere. Just getting back to the bunk was like taking a country walk in Nam. Add to that, I found that the PCC really does not provide as full a charge as the wall charger and the Pass-through didn't seem to like the 12 volt truck-icity either. Just my experience.

I needed something that hit like the 510 but without the baggage. Did it exist? BOOM! Bring on the Prodigy, this thing goes to Eleven. Consistent hits from the 510 atty @ 6 volts even if I flood it. The batteries last 6-7 hours per charge and it comes with a car-charger. That's it for on the road vaping, one device, one cable and one charger.

At this point I'm satisfied. Is it perfect? It is not, I'm still dealing with cart issues. But I think it's as close as I'm going to get at this time. Well worth the money. It's entirely possible I would have got the same result from one of the other "mod" devices like the Screwdriver or the GG. I haven't tried them but they seem comparable from what I've seen.

In summary, If you are a trucker and you want to get ahead of the curve on this whole e-smoking thing, grab a 510 kit and a Prodigy. I can recommend Puresmoker, Totally Wicked, EastMall, and Electronicstix (but not for juice).

If you've made it this far, I applaud your attention span. Be safe out there drivers and get off the fags (that's British for cigarettes). ;)

2. PTJD

PTJD Vaping At FL370 Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 20, 2008
    Malaga, Spain
    World, gonna move this to e-cig in public.
    You do know you don't have to post in the newbies forum anymore?
    Good story by the way!

3. jexmex

jexmex Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 21, 2009
    jackson,mi
    I am a ex truck driver. I can imagine some of the issues with e-smoking on the road. Not sure if you made it so far into the forums, but there is a trucking group here, and it might good for you to join that group and get some help from them drivers over there.

Keep the rubber on the pavement driver :D

4. catlvr

catlvr Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 24, 2009
    Kern County California
    Welcome Worldpax.:) Good to see things are working out good for you. No these pv's are not perfect, there is a learning curve but once you find what works for you it becomes less of a hassel. Very good advice to be found here. I work with truck drivers and a couple have seemed very interested. I keep waiting for them to join in here. Wish you the best!:D

5. TDM

TDM Moved On ECF Veteran

Apr 5, 2009
    Worldpax. I have to agree Njoy owns the truckstops. But in the real world Prodigy is where its at for the trucker!! I have the prodigy and the passthru. I suggest 2 things. Get you a passthru with a kensington power pack. No battery changes!! Get rid of the cartriges. Dripping it all day long!!

PM me maybe we can meet up. I'm in VA right now. I PU in NC on Saturday. Deliver Laredo, TX. 1700 miles in 3 days trainee drive!!

6. Father Luke

Father Luke Senior Member ECF Veteran

It might be good to actually start a truckers group. I drove for a couple
    years. Because of the economy, I decided to go back to college
    (see all truck drivers don't have a river of tobacco juice dribble, wiggling
    underneath their chins...).

Being a driver, or ex-driver (is there really any such thing as an ex-
    driver? I mean once you get diesel in your blood, forget about it -- it's
    all over...) I would say that, even driving in teams where one partner
    doesn't smoke, e-smoking would be okay and will help. Think of the
    possibilities that have just opened up here!

I am kind of biased, too. I would also endorse the Prodigy from PureSmoker.com

Feel free to PM me with any comments, or questions -- or respond here
    in WorldPax's thread. WorldPax is good people, and he and I both got a
    Prodigy at about the same time. But WorldPax has seniority. I think he
    got his like three days ahead of me.

:D

7. WorldPax

May 21, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Where is this group that you speak of?

Dripping and driving is not recomended, for shame! Tomorrow night or Sunday morning I'm doing Tulsa to Eloy, AZ. I was in Laredo last week but not long enough to enlist the Cadillac-Man. Man there are some cheap loads coming out of there.

8. jexmex

Jul 21, 2009
    jackson,mi
    I thought there was a truckers group already.

9. jexmex

Jul 21, 2009
    jackson,mi
  10. SSRob

SSRob Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2009
    Oklahoma! USA
    I'm willing to meet drivers in the Tulsa area if you need emergency supplies.

We're also a broker (maybe I shouldn't tell you that, you might throw rocks at me! LOL) so I'm familiar with the trucking part also.

World, who do you drive for?

Thanks
    Rob

11. WorldPax

May 21, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    TMC formerly with Arrow. and brokers though much lamented do serve a function. Back when the economy crashed, broker loads kept me rolling while others were idling.

12. jexmex

Jul 21, 2009
    jackson,mi
    How are you liking TMC? If I ever go back out, I have though heavly of TMC.

13. TDM

TDM Moved On ECF Veteran

Apr 5, 2009
    Thats all I do anymore is drip. Been working on an autofeed for my prodigy, been doing it so long can do it without even looking.

I'm probably gonna short hop it out. Have several 2-3/mile runs that can hop me to oklahoma. then away i'll go.

14. WorldPax

May 21, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I have been with them for a year and seven months and they have treated me well. Good money, great equipment, and I rarely sit more than an hour waiting for a load, 10-15 min is the norm. Oh yeah, and home every weekend.

15. SSRob

SSRob Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2009
    Oklahoma! USA
    It's nice for once to hear someone actually understand the big picture. I realize there are a lot of dirt bag brokers out there but we've always stayed away from cheap freight and screwing drivers around.

We typically only deal with smaller carriers but I have loaded a few of Arrows stretch flats out a few times on some 80' long x 15' w rig masts. I love doing OD freight.

Anyways we're kinda veering off topic I suppose!

16. Father Luke

Father Luke Senior Member ECF Veteran

17. Raven_Blackblade

Raven_Blackblade Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 27, 2009
    Kent, Washington
    Professional driver OTR for over a year here.

Fortunately on a few things.... While driving you can do just about anything. I used to text all the time while driving, so the whole thing with filling up my cart isnt that bad. I find that I can do it rather easily.

Something that might be of some benefit to you OP is that you can get a styrofoam cup. Make a bunch of holes in it for your cartridges and have them ready to grab when it is time to change them out. then while waiting to fuel up you can top them off, and do the same thing before or just after your pre-trip inspection, or after your post trip inspection.

18. catlvr

catlvr Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 24, 2009
    Kern County California
    Wow your a truck driver! That's great! I'm a weightmaster at a refinery and I just love "most" of the drivers that come through here. Great bunch of guys and a couple of gals. Years ago I was going to go to school to become a truck driver, but they told me I'd have to (i guess it's called long haul?) across the states for a year with a trainer(?stranger) to be able to haul loads within my city's range. Had a 2yr old at the time and said forget that. Plus the teacher at the driving school came on to me so bad it made both me and my mom (yes she came with me to check it out) very uneasy. I've already told 4 known smoking drivers about the e-cigs and 3 have expressed intrest. One I think just might show up here. I hope he does. He's a real sweetheart! Hey if you're ever in California give me a pm and maybe we can get together. It sure would be great to meet a fellow vapor! By the way what do you haul?:)

19. SantanzChild

SantanzChild Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2009
    Independence, MO
    Drove a truck up till about three years ago when I reenlisted and I cant imagine trying to deal with the e-cig baggage. Just keeping my cellphone charged when I was driving a truck was a pain sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.