Status
Not open for further replies.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I agree with most of your opinions stated. But TCR is a formula: Temperature Coefficient of Resistance (TCR)

It's not an opinion or arbitrary set of numbers.

First Google search "TCR", that came up for those that are new to their devices "custom" wire settings:

How does TC work and what is the Temperature Coefficient of Resistance

As you stated, the difference could be the pre-made coils are not SS 316, the working built in SS settings on both the Evic VTC Mini, and sister companies eleaf Pico are stated to be set for SS316, but their TCR settings match more closely to SS304. If that's not something one cares about, then it's is a personal preference. A wires known TCR is what it is, regardless of preference or opinion.

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
Musing here, if you took all the HG TC numbers and added 20 to them, the results would still be the TCR numbers- just not the exact same HG TC number. Is that what the mod makers are doing, or is it a result of something else no one here can say. But as long as the difference in TC numbers of any given mod were consistent, the results would be valid. For it to be said TC is doing its job, a dry cotton wick shouldn't burn when the fire button is hit. You shouldn't get burned hits when the juice runs out. If those conditions are being met, in essence TC is working. For comparing what the correlation is between indicated and actual temps are, see the reviewers mentioned earlier. But as long as TC is working, it doesn't matter even if there was no temp displayed. A vaper would adjust wattage to suit their vaping preferences and that would be that. It's not like juice comes in a container saying to vape it at 385 degrees F. Yet.;)

Anyway, next month when every mod spoken of here is obsolete, it won't matter a whit that mod/HG TCR numbers didn't match. haha

Last edited:

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Just decided that chasing TCR numbers is a waste of time. Spent the last two hours tuning all of my TCR capable mods to SS316L using a cotton burn test. When the cotton singes at 420, I stop futzing with the mod. My P4Y iPV5 works best around 107, my Smok R200 is good at 77, and my Cuboid is spot on at 87. I still have my Treebox, Koopor Plus, XCUBE 2, eVic VTwo, eVic VTC mini, iStick TC100W, iStick TC200W, iStick Pico, RX200 and RX200S to tune, but this is working very nicely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Just decided that chasing TCR numbers is a waste of time. Spent the last two hours tuning all of my TCR capable mods to SS316L using a cotton burn test. When the cotton singes at 420, I stop futzing with the mod. My P4Y iPV5 works best around 107, my Smok R200 is good at 77, and my Cuboid is spot on at 87. I still have my Treebox, Koopor Plus, XCUBE 2, eVic VTwo, eVic VTC mini, iStick TC100W, iStick TC200W, iStick Pico, RX200 and RX200S to tune, but this is working very nicely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Don't give up now... you're almost a quarter of the way there. :p

j/k
(damn... our JTechs breed like rabbits don't they. ;) )

I've never even done a dry burn test. Though as I recall there are solid arguments on both sides for it's actual effectiveness for our purposes.

There's also a running water boil test which sounded quite accurate though I don't recall procedure details, other than it was decidedly counter-intuitive. Appeared to work though.

It may be somewhere back in this thread. Perhaps someone remembers.

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Has anyone ever used 904L SS for Vaping? I just noticed Crazy Wire carries it. I never heard of it before. Upon doing some research I found out it's an expensive grade of SS that Rolex uses in watches. I can't find a TCR or any mention of it for Vaping.
904L Grade Stainless Steel

Cheers,
Steve

Reactions: rebelscl

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Someone will be along any moment now to tell ya how it tastes SOOOO much better than whatever.

Well, for the best 904 vape, what I do is... :p

--

The 430 is still rockin'. I need to put it in a couple of new little RTAs so I can test more of my budget TC mods... mostly JTechs.

A number of us have orders coming from Wire and Stuff/ Crazy Wire so we can try other gauges. I'll have several myself. Interested?

Much anticipation. :D

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Someone will be along any moment now to tell ya how it tastes SOOOO much better than whatever.
904ss gives the best flavor ever!!.....just kidding but there was a time and still is where some wire metallurgies work better than others on a certain mods. Of course it's not because wire type affects flavor but rather some mods have difficulty regulating low tcr wire types or just have inappropriate tcr curves programmed in for the wire type being used.
Enter Evolve, where we are left with no excuse for poor flavor.:headbang:

Last edited:

flambo

Feb 24, 2016
Rayonia
I hope ssomeone can get an accurate TCR for TiNi.

I took a chance on some TiNi & I'm loving it so far.
The resistance is higher than I would expect for that alloy, but there seems to be something to do with its properties- Martinsec etc

It's as easy as stainless steel to use, and has a similar resistance.
If I didn't see the resistance jump so quickly in a very quick test pulse, I'd think it was ss.

I had it on straight Ni setting on Evic, and protection kicked in when the coil was dry.
To me, it tastes better on Ti setting.

I've set an M on Pico for TCR of 475, but prefer it on straight Ti.
Watch this space...lol

A twisted parallel 0.3Ω TiNi on straight Cloupor Mini Plus Ti setting leaves a single 0.60Ω Ti for dead (~ double Amps, so expected) -too much vapour on m2l & ~70% PG...lol
The other TiNi coils, parallel & twisted, at much lower Amps were also better than Ti, to my taste.
Identical atties- Derringer v3 clone
Identical juice- 25mg/ml MFS nic,unflavoured, 70% PG
Identical wicks- tencel fibre in spinning form

I like Ni & Ti, but they're both such PITA to work with.
I couldn't find anything on vaping TiNi & FT sent me a pic of the composition which made no sense.

It's so good to work with, I won't mind making new coils instead of dry burning. Stainless steel is relegated to Vapergeddon stash.

I've mainly used ss for TC, cos it's so easy, and coils last so long.
No denying Ti & Ni gave better flavour, but needed more Amps to do it, & are a PITA to work. (I seemed to use up to 20% more power on almost identical Ti builds to ss builds)

I feel as if I've just discovered how really good TC can be, painlessly, with TiNi.
(I was hooked on TC almost instantly- on ss, & a factory Ni coil. So hooked I dared buy a Cloupor & some Ti & Ni...lol)

TiNi has value for those mods with only Ti & Ni support, & possibly those mods with Ni purity- can probably wing it by just dropping the temp.

Last edited:

flambo

Feb 24, 2016
Rayonia
I've built another TiNi coil & have inched the TCR up a little on Pico & Evic.

Now, at 490, I definitely prefer it in M mode with tne 2 diff atties I've tried so far.
(I've never updated Pico & haven't updated Evic v1 for about 9 months)

Next would be to try Ni on Cloupor Mini Plus v1 & lower the temp, to try to get a better vape than Ti setting.

(I'm still amazed at how much flavour there is in 25 mg/ml MFS.
I could always taste it on ss.
atm, I have no intention of using Ni or Ti again)

Last edited:

TonyB66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
London, UK
I saw in a fairly recent DJSL Vapes review on the Evic Mini with the software upgrade that he had changed the TCR setting for 316L SS to a setting of 118. This seems to be working very well, although I didn't have any problems with the standard SS setting.

I'm trying to get the right TCR setting for SSV Ti wire. Advised by others I'm using a setting of 368 but I'm having to crank up the temperature setting to 490F to get a decent vape, but it's still not as good as the bespoke SSV setting that they provide on their website for DNA devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread