The ups and downs of RTAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I was just re-wicking my RTA (old school E-leaf Lemo 2) and I have have really good luck with this RTA before (I like that it almost never leaks) I use rayon because it has small juice flow holes and that has also always worked well. But... every RTA is different and they all have their own "personality". Did a good job and went to fill it (has a top/side fill slot) I use a syringe with a large blunt needle and it works great (and did fine as usual) When I went to close off the fill slot I twisted it and somehow loosened the tank at the same time. Started feeling juice leaking from the seal at the bottom of the tank glass. Grabbed a paper towel and then realized the tank seals had become loose (I actually made sure they were vary snug this time) OK... problem solved (for now) no more leaks after tightening that. Went to vape it (I had done something slightly different when wicking it... wet the wick with juice instead of leaving it fluffy, putting the chamber on and the priming the wick) Tucked it in (so it wouldn't get caught in the threads of the chamber) instead of leaving the wick "fluffy" and did too good a job... it started leaking out the airflow slots.
My point (if there is one) is that as much as I love RTAs (cheap to rebuild, gives better vape than my drop-in tanks and a really fun hobby... when things go right) they can drive you nuts! I am determined to not give up on this (I have another RTA... Silverplay that I love... best flavor ever but it tends to leak) The good news... caught this before it leaked into the mod. Ironically, the first time I built the Lemo 2 it was almost giving dry hits. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
I too am mocked by the gods of RBA's @vaper1960.

I have so many that refuse to comply to my will, but I'm stubborn. So to one side they go and I get round to them eventually.

But the worst thing is, it always seems to be the ones that you really enjoy for one reason or another.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    And this is one of the main reasons why dripping and squonking are still popular.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have stocked up on more squonkers and RDAs. I know I'm going to come to a point in my life where I don't want to bother with RTAs anymore. Although, thankfully most of my RTAs are not as particular when it comes to wicking as the Lemo 2 is.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @UncleJunkle, I love the Tripod yet it shuns me. The goldilocks zone of wicking for it is just eluding me, as I just can't get the air pressure to equalize effectively.

So I have to agree with you on RDA's and also RDTA's, as they're much easier to work with. I'm wanting to see if any manufacturer makes a Creek RDA clone, as I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    The gear I have the most of and used the longest has been mech tube and squonk mods with RDA's on them. My preferred tanks was Avocado RDTA's. Unfortunately I bought a lot of RTA's that were fails in 2016 and 2017, and didn't find any RTA that I actually did like at all until I bought my first Wotofo Profile Unity Mesh RTA early spring 2019 (they come with both 3.5ml and 5ml glass). Have six of them, 2 Gold, 1 SS, 2 Gunmetal and 1 Black. I like them so much that they closed the door permanently for my ever needing to buy anymore RTA's. And they are the perfect companions to my 21 mesh RDA's.
    wpupick5.jpg

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    @UncleJunkle, I love the Tripod yet it shuns me. The goldilocks zone of wicking for it is just eluding me, as I just can't get the air pressure to equalize effectively.

So I have to agree with you on RDA's and also RDTA's, as they're much easier to work with. I'm wanting to see if any manufacturer makes a Creek RDA clone, as I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Are you having issues with the Tripod?

I never had a chance before surgery to clean it and set it up, and of course since surgery have yet to have a day I can manage such a task...

However, I'll see if I cant get to it this week, perhaps with hubby's help, and then I'll see how it goes. Wicking is usually fairly easy for me on most RTA's, maybe we can figure out the best way to wick this Tripod.

As far as the creek I've never seen a clone...

Reactions: Mordacai

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Only a person who has looked closely and extensively of said part of the anatomy of a gnats posterior part would know that...just sayin'

View attachment 908385

It was the lovely Ange that familiarised everyone with the size of of a gnats butthole:lol:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    True, there's no clone of the Creek RDA @Opinionated. But you can hope.

With the Tripod I'm using Rayon, don't know how much of a difference that makes.

But it's just deciding to be annoying, as I've gotten close to getting it wicked right. Yet not to where air pressure effectively equalizes, I get either seeping or ineffective wicking happening.

So all I have to do is to find the middle, which is easier said than done.

But the flavour and throat hit from the Tripod without any inserts and the wide bore chimney always keep me coming back to it.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: HigherStateD

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I too am mocked by the gods of RBA's @vaper1960.

I have so many that refuse to comply to my will, but I'm stubborn. So to one side they go and I get round to them eventually.

But the worst thing is, it always seems to be the ones that you really enjoy for one reason or another.
    You could not have said it better... my favorite RTA (that I have loved for several months... and also have two more waiting to be built and it gives me issues) I know... that's the game...

Reactions: Mordacai

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    And this is one of the main reasons why dripping and squonking are still popular.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have stocked up on more squonkers and RDAs. I know I'm going to come to a point in my life where I don't want to bother with RTAs anymore. Although, thankfully most of my RTAs are not as particular when it comes to wicking as the Lemo 2 is.
    I agree... even my RTAs are for home use... often wonder why I don't just use RDAs (and RDTAs) Thanks unkie junkie.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    It was the lovely Ange that familiarised everyone with the size of of a gnats butthole
    If you mean she helped us (me) avoid tight air draw (that I don't want... won't comment on tight .... holes) Yes, way back when I was looking for a good MTL RTA, she gave me good tips on airflow... half the ones on my list were out because I like loose draw.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread