The vibe and marketing of dedicated vape shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javamon

Verified Member
Nov 29, 2014
Hudson Valley, NY
I know there are other semi related threads about whether or not any of the companies are explicitly marketing to kids.

I don't want to get into the kids discussion. But I would like to see if older folks here have any opinions on the vibe, look, marketing of the dedicated vape shops.

I went to my first yesterday, with hesitation. While it was only my first, I have seen photos and videos of several vape shops now. They all - look very similar, and not for me.

If I was investing in all this, I wouldn't set up the vape shops with the vibe I'm seeing. They seem to be strongly targeting the early 20somethings, at the exclusion of other age brackets. This is reinforced with the videos I see the shops posting. Basically, every video from a shop I have seen has had young 20somethings with baseball caps blowing clouds.

I personally feel like I don't *belong* in these shops, and, maybe my young adult kids do. Does that appeal to you older folks?
Do you think that serves the industry best? I don't.

Comments?

LeftHandBlack

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2013
Brighton Co
Here in Denver we have dozens of vape shops. There are a few that are like you what you described. In general I see people of all ages in them buying products. Im noticing the younger users are mostly into making the huge clouds which annoys people and is bad for the vaping perception. As a consumer I treat it like every other business I dont go to the ones that cater to the element I dont agree with.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Seeing a trend in the posts here.
As for me, same observations in the few shops I've been in.

While a pipe smoker I frequented several pipe/cigar/wine stores.
Some were chrome and glass, some quiet, dark wood paneled throwbacks to another time.

All were friendly yet conservative.
I wonder if a vape shop patterned after an "ol' timey" tobacconist's shop would make a go of it.

BWeist

Dec 22, 2014
Regina, Sk. Canada
We have half a dozen shops in my city right now. All have a slightly different vibe which can sometimes change depending on time of day and who is in the shop at that time.

One I get the impression from the owner that he is/was a doper who is looking to cash in with the 20 something crowd. I was going to make a purchase at the store until he comes out with a $15 for a month in-store exchange charge. Put my potential purchase down, said I need to think about it, wont ever go back.

Another is targeting the 20 somethings, but is decent overall.

There are 2 shops which I would recommend to anyone (I am 51) - both treat you very well regardless of age, are patient and more than willing to help with anything. The shops are bright, clean and inviting and the staff are actually happy to just chat for a few min when time permits. They may cater to a younger crowd, but do not alienate anyone outside of it and in fact want to make you feel welcome in their shop.

Jake67

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Us
I live in S Fl. 100%of all the shops (and we have tons) seem to attract the 20 something crowd.
Basically what can you expect when they install video games and loud music.
I try not let the environment bother me much and typically will engage the owner in conversation. I will tell you that each and every shop owner admits to being in the business for 2 yrs or so. Not really good for the for the industry or image in my opinion. Additionally the people owning, running these shops have no knowledge about the products they sell. I've yet to meet one.
I'm not a fan of buying online due to QC issues. On the plus side I'm usually able to find what I want and can negotiate a good price.
I think we need shops where the decor is more suited to middle aged folks.
That would take a significant investment in build out and it's seems like most people are not convinced that vaping is here to stay.

Sent from my iPhone

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
I have been in good shops and bad. Seems if the owners are older and run their own shop they tend to be better. One in another town hires kids that know nothing and seems to have a kids crowd hanging around all the time. That is the same shop when I was buying menthol for a friend and said to him "I assume it is a tank cracker". He said "oh yes the mix is 70pg and 30vg. All 70pg juices are tank crackers. PG will crack all tanks". I laughed and said "it does not." I turned around and walked out and will never go back.

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
Lots of shops here. Some are "head shops" that see the value of selling vape gear. Some are dedicated to vape only. All have young folks working behind the counter and some of them even know a little about vaping.

I am in my sixties, have seen the inside of a head shop or five. I really do not care how old the staff or the customers are as long as good customer service is provided. I think unless the owner is the counter help it would be hard pressed to see some family man/woman working at a specialized store like this. Minimum wage and a discount on vape gear does not seem to be conducive to supporting a family.

If I was not having so much fun being retired, I would consider working part time at a vape shop. My experience, under a year of vaping, though not long term, has given me more vape knowledge than probably 90% of the local shop employees. Blame the interweb in general and ECF specifically.

Of course, I would have to take lessons in personal interaction since I am a crusty old Derelict that would rather be in a bar than most any other place.

Strings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Manitowoc WI USA
Heh... SV actually asked me if I wanted to work there. Wasn't financially viable for me (gas adds up fast). But it was tempting as hell: nice environment, and the staff are knowledgable

Another local shop (which I won't name), seems the owner runs it (have been in there 3-4 times, always the same woman behind the counter). Modern metal blasting regularly while she plays on the computer. And she does NOT know her stock. As an example: my first time in, I was using a Kanger Aero Mega on top of an Innokin CLK1280. She looked at it, and asked "What IS that you're using?". I told her, then looked at the cabinet I was in front of... that had the exact same tank right there...

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    There are no age limits on PWT, or delinquent/criminal behavior for that matter. But, all classes, rich or poor, have the right to vape.
    In 2012 it became illegal for anyone under the age of 19 to buy or possess e-cig products in this state. An under age person can't even enter a vape shop here. (where e-cigs are used. (for demonstration)) It is also illegal to vape in any public building here. (except a vape shop (75% of sales must be e-cig related))

So now you know what poor vaping behavior causes!!!!!!!!!!! There are a lot of folks out there that would just love to find a reason to shut us down!

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
    I agree with the OP. All of the vape shops I have been to in Northern CA cater to the Millennial or Generation Y demographic. Millennials themselves are tolerant and respectful of Boomers but the ambiance of Millennial shops is quite foreign to outsiders. Shops located along the coasts, big cities and Rust Belt are more likely targeted to Millennials while shops in Flyover America are often more Boomer-oriented.

One of the biggest differences between Millennials and Boomers in vaping: most of the Boomers are smokers or ex-smokers while the Millennials are likey to have never smoked.

Last edited:

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Houston, TX
    We have a ton of shops here. My favorite is run by a guy my age. Mid 40's and his staff is younger. Kinda an odd ball group of guys. When I have been in there all of them have been very nice. One talks so much sometimes I wish he would just shut up but he is really nice and just likes to talk vape. They are never pushy with the people that go in there. They don't have people buying things the shopper knows nothing about and seem to do a good job of making sure the shopper gets what they want or need. Of course there are shops that have the "kids" in them and there is one that every guy in there is trying their best to look like David Beckham. Lol its in a rich part of town and you can tell each of them has a trust fund they dropped into the shop. They only sell high end products and it is a nice shop just kinda snooty. Feel like I walked right into Neiman Marcus. There are others that are middle of the road and they are nice too. Never had the need to just walk out of any of them.

MsShona

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2014
    McKeesport, PA, USA
    www.rishona.net
    I've only been inside two local vape shops. The one is by my boyfriend's job and was filled with kids hanging out. I wanted to get what I needed and be in and out ASAP. This was in the evening during the week. My boyfriend's bother vapes too and it's his favorite shop. I was talking to him about it and he said earlier during the day, the vibe isn't like that.

The other shop is closer to home. Slightly more professional...although there were kids hanging out blowing clouds. It doesn't get the traffic the other shop does. I think it depends on timing. I like to go when the kiddies are in school. Or at least early enough when most are just rolling out of bed and not up and about (before noon?).

But yeah I agree with the original poster. Too bad that I really love to see the equipment and test out flavors. If it weren't for that, I would buy exclusively online!

Javamon

Verified Member
    Nov 29, 2014
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Excellent and very interesting range of responses.

I think the industry would be better served with a more, say, family friendly look, even if the products themselves aren't intended to be used by just anyone in a family.

I'd like to find stats on: average age of vape shop owners, v.s., average age of, say, restaurant owners.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 26, 2013
    Indiana
    My local is pretty much geared to the younger crowd as well, even though the owner is older. They aren't very knowledgeable or helpful, and they're staffed by really young people who have no interest in us older peeps. I don't enjoy going there. The one other vape shop I've been to was also geared toward the younger crowd but was very friendly and helpful. They were what I would call gung-ho about vaping lol! So two different shops with two very different atmospheres.

towelie

ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2014
    In a cloud
    I got into this to quit cigs and save money. I find that vape shops are the most expensive place to get anything vape related so I just don't go. I went once to get some juice because I was out and waiting on vape mail. I blew a few clouds while I was there lol the kids behind the counter instantly picked up their rigs and did the same.

I wouldn't mind working in one though probably idk but I'm way too frugal to pay those prices and posses zero desire to socialize with vapers.
    Just like anything else, I don't order tires from the Harley Davidson shop or hang out there either lol as they're too expensive.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread