There are newer “fat ring” Sony VTC5A batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The Sony Koriyama factory (“K” in lower left of the two lines of printing) has changed or added a different appearing top cap crimp to its VTC5A cell. This cell seems to perform the same (more testing to be done though) but has a wider ring crimping tool mark ring near its top. See the photos for an example.

These fat ring cells are also made in the Singapore factory, indicated by a G or SG in the lower left corner of the two lines of printing on the cell.

3FEBDE7B-16CD-47F7-88F7-809BB1709E3C.jpeg 66D6ECD7-9420-4A0A-BDF9-F293A84EFF34.jpeg 44012F9A-042C-4529-A0DD-B20C612DFF4F.jpeg CF1764EF-65D7-465D-9F73-F7220E596B7F.jpeg D6BCFCA8-8D53-44D6-84EF-93F5CA3BE106.jpeg

Please note...

- While there are genuine Sony VTC5A’s with this “fat ring” that does NOT mean every VTC5A you see with a fat ring is genuine.

- The counterfeiters might have found fakes with fat rings to use. We can only say that there are genuine Sony VTC5A’s with the fat ring in production.

- If you have a VTC5A with a thinner ring this does NOT mean yours is definitely a fake. It might be anyway but there are huge numbers of genuine VTC5A’s out there with the narrower ring.

- To help determine if your VTC, any of of them, is a fake or not carefully unwrap them. If the black top insulating ring is glued on it is definitely a fake.

- If the black top insulating ring is not glued on it could be genuine. A loose top ring does not guarantee it’s an authentic Sony though as some fakes are not gluing on the ring now.

- Look for the two dimples on the top of the cell as shown in the photos. All VTC’s have these. If your cells do not then they are not genuine Sony VTC cells.

- If your cells do have the dimples then they are genuine VTC’s but there is no way to tell which. Some fake VTC5A’s have used other VTC’s.

- The wrap, wrap code, and printing are unreliable indicators of whether they are genuine or not due to their variability between factories and over time.

- Please don’t send me pictures of your cells to have me authenticate them. I am unable to. Use the checks I’ve described here. If you are still unsure and are concerned they might be fakes then speak to the vendor you purchased them from.

Last edited:

Wiamiere

Dec 4, 2017
    The Sony Koriyama factory (“K” in lower left of the two lines of printing) has changed or added a different appearing top cap crimp to its VTC5A cell. This cell seems to perform the same (more testing to be done though) but has a wider ring crimping tool mark ring near its top. See the photos for an example.

These fat ring cells are also made in the Singapore factory, indicated by a G or SG in the lower left corner of the two lines of printing on the cell.

View attachment 717889 View attachment 717891 View attachment 717893 View attachment 717895 View attachment 717897

Please note...

- While there are genuine Sony VTC5A’s with this “fat ring” that does NOT mean every VTC5A you see with a fat ring is genuine.

- The counterfeiters might have found fakes with fat rings to use. We can only say that there are genuine Sony VTC5A’s with the fat ring in production.

- If you have a VTC5A with a thinner ring this does NOT mean yours is definitely a fake. It might be anyway but there are huge numbers of genuine VTC5A’s out there with the narrower ring.

- To help determine if your VTC, any of of them, is a fake or not carefully unwrap them. If the black top insulating ring is glued on it is definitely a fake.

- If the black top insulating ring is not glued on it could be genuine. A loose top ring does not guarantee it’s an authentic Sony though as some fakes are not gluing on the ring now.

- Look for the two dimples on the top of the cell as shown in the photos. All VTC’s have these. If your cells do not then they are not genuine Sony VTC cells.

- If your cells do have the dimples then they are genuine VTC’s but there is no way to tell which. Some fake VTC5A’s have used other VTC’s.

- The wrap, wrap code, and printing are unreliable indicators of whether they are genuine or not due to their variability between factories and over time.

- Please don’t send me pictures of your cells to have me authenticate them. I am unable to. Use the checks I’ve described here. If you are still unsure and are concerned they might be fakes then speak to the vendor you purchased them from.

Well, if anyone is paranoid about receiving fake cells, they could always purchase an internal resistance tester. That is a bit OTT for most people though and adds more expendature so i guess for most vapers out there, the most important measure to take to massively reduce the risk of buying fake cells is to always purchase cells from your 'Trusted Vendors List' right? :)

You get what you pay for and I guess the better vendors out there charge a tad more because;
    They always purchase 'A' grade cells
    The conduct stringent Batch testing to root out any fakes that could have slipped through the net.
    I personally thing these two reasons alone warrant the extra penny's we customers pay!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread