There is no evidence that vaping can help you quit *nicotine*

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
I thought I'd invite some dialogue on this one after seeing the "There is no evidence that vaping can help you quit smoking" thread by introducing a tougher question.

Is it easier to wean off of nicotine via vaping vs. other methods? Things to consider (I don't have a "right" answer, you know...):

* It is more convenient to lower one's nicotine gradually by making weaker juice, but it's not necessarily easier to quit nicotine by gradually going down: cold turkey is still the most common way people manage to quit nicotine entirely. Then again, that doesn't necessarily mean it's easier cold turkey; it could be that people determined enough to quit just tend to do it at once like ripping off a Band-Aid.

* It is EASIER vaping than smoking to let nicotine pervade your life. I'm positive more people are willing to vape in bed, watching TV, etc. than they were smoking analogs. Could regular nicotine actually be making it harder?

* To people who did wean themselves off of nicotine via vaping: do you feel it was easier? Is there anything to actually demonstrate that it was easier? I'm asking because without actually doing both successfully (which by definition, one can't), an individual wouldn't really have any idea if quitting the other way would have been harder.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Same here! It was all of the other chemicals & components of cigarettes that I wanted to get off of. I have no worries or concerns about nicotine. In 6 months I've vaped the same 18 mg. If I do lower my level it will be because 18mg has become too much for me but ill probably vape some level of nicotine for the rest of my life!

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
Mostly 0 mg vaper. Sometimes I'll add 2mg if I feel like it. Nicotine was a breeze to give up by vaping. Turns out that wasn't really what I was addicted to. It's the whole sensation of drawing something into my lungs that feeds my craving. Doesn't really matter if it has nicotine in it or not.

Interesting... I've often wondered if that was the case with me, that it's just the habitual motion I'm stuck on. I also bite my nails like crazy, so I might be prone to oral fixations or something. If it was possible to pull off, I'd love for someone to cut my nicotine from my juice for a day without telling me to see if I'd really know the difference. We all think we can, but we all SWEAR we can tell Coke from Pepsi, too, and sure enough people suck at that as soon as you test them.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
Interesting... I've often wondered if that was the case with me, that it's just the habitual motion I'm stuck on. I also bite my nails like crazy, so I might be prone to oral fixations or something. If it was possible to pull off, I'd love for someone to cut my nicotine from my juice for a day without telling me to see if I'd really know the difference. We all think we can, but we all SWEAR we can tell Coke from Pepsi, too, and sure enough people suck at that as soon as you test them.

Try mixing up identical batches of juice with varying amounts of nic. 1 at the level you're vaping at now, a couple with stepped down levels and 1 with 0mg. Don't label them and just grab one to refill when you need to. The results might surprise you. :)

Marius_Kingsley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Hillsboro, OR
Hey! I can tell Coke from Pepsi! I can't tell you which is which, but I can tell they're different, and they both taste like something terrible.

For me, I don't really care about the nicotine. It's not killing me. The tobacco was killing me, and since I started vaping inside, as opposed to smoking outside, my fiance needs her inhaler less. THAT is the most important thing to me. I actually had no desire to quit smoking. My fiance asked me to try Blue e-cigs (thankfully, they were out of the starter kits when we went to get it, and he talked us into buying an eGo battery with a CE4 clearomizer). I switched immediately. At this point, I'm almost certainly using more nicotine, and because of the ability to pretty much constantly vape, I can't sleep. That's the only reason I'm going to drop the nic content on my juice. If I have no problem adapting to that, maybe I'll keep dropping it gradually until I'm nicotine-free. But I don't think for a moment that I'll stop vaping even then.

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
In all honesty:

I don't care if there's any evidence that vaping can get you off of nicotine. I just wanted to quit smoking the things that were killing me.

It isn't nicotine I'm worried about. It's the smoking that already does have evidence that it will kill me. And so far, I've seen no studies that say it's the nicotine in the cigarettes that's posing the danger to me.

No proof that vaping is safe? No proof that vaping is safer than smoking? I don't care. I will only care when it can be proven that vaping will kill me faster or in a worse manner than smoking will.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
No excuses here.
Will simply tell what I do know.
Smoking, not Nicotine, was wearing me down Fast. at almost 60 I had to make a choice.
Switching to Vaping made it simple and I have had NO urges to smoke since day one of the switch.

For me there is no evidence the Patch helps you quit nicotine either, It was a 6 month battle/Fail for me and I constantly wanted a smoke.

I do believe for most that actually want to reduce nic, vaping is the easier way to go as you can control exactly how much you step down. I have dropped from 18mg to 9-6mg and am working to reach 0mg by years end.

I'm cheating a bit. I went on the patch (HNRT - 28 mg) for the past five weeks. I also vaped 0 nic for the first month, and have slowly been adding back a little nic from vaping as I step off the patch.

Tried to make the switch from analogues to vapes four years ago, but it didn't work, as I gave myself the option of smoking simultaneously. I've completely excluded cigs from the mix for the last few weeks, and am currently vaping 1 ml only of 6-9 mg twice a day, in the morning and evening. So far, so good.

Will adjust as necessary as I continue to step off the NRT. Overall, I'm miles away from the 40 year 1.5 PAD habit I started with.

Last edited:

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Nicotine isn't that bad for you, really. I love my nicotine and the fact I can get it in a satisfying way is a dream, man.

The biggest difference to me, having used the patch and the gum in the past to quit smoking, is that with delivery through the lungs you get a "hit" of it.. a noticable and satisfying "dose." It's tastes amazing, like a treat or a great cup of coffee can.

Now that my chest and health feel so much better, and I don't stink of an ashtray; I feel no need to taper down nor quit vaping, though that was my initial intention going in.

It's enjoyable, stress relieving, and a much safer/cheaper habit. Give me my coffee, give me my nicotine dosed e-juice to vape; and I'm one happy camper! There are worse things to be addicted to than pretty much harmless nicotine delivered through vapor.

Also, I don't feel "exploited" by vaping companies. There are no monopolies, no "dirty" little tricks or peddling to youth. If your wondering what goes into your e-liquids, you are free to obtain the basics and make it yourself.

While nicotine may be about as addictive as caffeine, I now feel as if it was really the other garbage that was in cigarette smoke that gave me "the jones" when going cold turkey. You body gets so used to all those chemicals, when it's absent you get your little mini "delirium tremens." Stealth vaping is nice, but honestly I've been able to sit through an entire movie or plane ride much easier since vaping. So I just don't buy the whole dark shadow of addiction cast over nicotine. It's all a hyperbole IMO.

-B

-B

Last edited:

Dweeb

Jun 13, 2013
Ontario
Vaping got me off smoking almost instantly. i had 1 or 2 once i had opened my starter kit, and that is it. That was only just over 3 weeks ago. i have the same pack in arms reach.
As for nicotine all together, i found 18mg harsh. I started with 12mg. Just ordered 9mg as i mix with 0 nic flavor samples and dont really notice anything other then i enjoy it more. I love the inhale and exhale of smoke/vapor, and although having a smoke is a good feeling i don't look at it as a bonus because of the craving, so nicotine is a drawback and im cuting it easily 3 weeks in.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I like nicotine, caffeine and white sugar. I rarely drink alcohol or cola, but I drink whole milk. I also like to drive fast. I prefer processed white bread, but that's just because the toasted face from my Hello Kitty toaster shows up better. I'm slightly underweight, have normal BS, BP and cholesterol. Despite my health, I'm often told my habits will someday "catch up" with me. They had better hurry.

I have no plans to stop vaping, but I can't predict the future, maybe someday something will come out I like better. In the meantime, I'm perplexed that some people assume the possibility of living a few years longer would be enough incentive for me to give up the things I like. There also seems to be an unspoken suggestion that the few extra years gained might be spent in their presence - which was one reason I kept smoking cigarettes for so long.

Last edited:

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Yup no desire to ditch the nicotine. It's the cigarettes or vaping. I choose vaping. I see nicotine itself as no more harmful on its own than caffeine and I'm not giving up caffeine either.

Sent from Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk 2.

I understand that the amount of nicotine we get from cigs or vaping arent at dangerously high level but!!! Nicotine by itself is way... way more toxic than caffeine. I'm not buying into that "its as harmless as caffeine thing.

As for my 2 cents about the OP. I dont know, I feel that I dont cravea vape as much as I did a cigarette... But is it placebo or real (does it matter really) I was in a plane today and when I landed I didn't threw myself out of the airport to have a vape like I usually did with cigs.

So my guess would be yeah! It probably helps getting off of nicotine.

:2c:

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
Try mixing up identical batches of juice with varying amounts of nic. 1 at the level you're vaping at now, a couple with stepped down levels and 1 with 0mg. Don't label them and just grab one to refill when you need to. The results might surprise you. :)

...I might do that. I must confess: part of me is worried that you're right, that I'll realize there's nothing but my compulsion keeping me vaping, and I'll sink into a crisis on consciousness as I re-evaluate why I vape, armed with the firsthand knowledge that I don't "need" to in the way I've always assumed. After that I may never vape care-free again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread