They Do Not Play Well Together (This Battery & My Evods, I Mean)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat58

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
DFW
I hope this is the correct forum for my question and tale of minor woe. If not, my apologies and mods please move or delete as you think best.

Let me admit from the get go that while I understand the part dilithium plays in a warp core engine, what a flux capacitor is and why light sabers are different colors, my understanding of more useful bits/pieces is sadly lacking. Be forgiving, please! And skip the next two paragraphs if you are kind enough to consider my question w/o any interest in the backstory, :)

Short version of a long story - my vape store kindly made me a deal on an ego battery after my DD made off with one of my little 650 ego bats/Evod. It is a pass-through with three different settings that can be used while charging or on it's own. You change the voltage by clicking the button and it just goes on what I considered my level of technicality - low-medium-high.

After playing with it on the different settings I realized I did not like the taste on the higher end. By now, my vaping is tasting horrid as I had tried all my juices in all three of my Evods on the thing thinking that might make a difference. The lightbulb finally switched on, and after taking apart my Evods and cleaning the burnt goo off the atomizer heads I am now back to vaping happily without that burnt taste from playing with the high setting. On my snappy little 650s and low on this thing from Fly-By-Night-Industries. If you have made it through this far, thank you and if you are laughing with me so much the better.

Here is my question - I'm certain my atomizer heads (proper name for them?) are toast and I will need to replace them asap. After googling forever, I finally found the specs for this batt and it seems to run 3.4 low - 4.24 volts highest setting. I _think_ my Evods are the 1.8 ones. When I replace the heads, should I get something other than 1.8 (a 2.5 maybe?) to try this again or am I completely wrong on what the problem is??

Thank you for your patience - I am putting on my dunce cap and heading for the corner now. :oops:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
1.8 ohm at the lowest setting, 3.4 volts, will give you a good vape. You'll be at 6.42 watts.
If you use a higher ohm - 2.5 ohm, at 3.4 volts you'll be at 4.62 watts. That's quite a cool vape.

If that's confusing - I suggest trying both. :) One will be cooler than the other, and you may end up increasing the voltage to compensate anyway.

cat58

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
DFW
Thank you for trying to sort me out - I appreciate it! So am I understanding this now - the higher the ohm, the cooler the vape? So if the 1.8 on the higher setting was tasting (and the black goo certainly looked) burnt to me then using 2.5 even on the higher setting should cut down the the burnt problem?
Obviously a rather steep learning curve here.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
At the same volts, say 3.4 , the higher the ohms the cooler the vape. That's because the higher ohms means higher resistance. Lower resistances, like 1.8 ohms, were brought in so people using Egos and Ego type batteries could experience warmer vaping at the voltages their devices have.

So if you had a 1.8 ohm and set your ego at top volts then you'd get a hotter vape. You might want to try a 2.0 ohm and a 2.5 ohm at 3.4 and 3.7 volts - to see what you like. With your set up I wouldn't go over 2.5 -2.6 ohms - you don't need higher resistance than that.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Agree with kiwivap.... my own experience... I have the T3's/Tabac BCC - Evod's bigger brother and they have the same ohm coils to use (although not the same unit). I find the 1.8 ohm works well with eGo batts - 3.3-3.4Volts for the stronger flavors and the 2.2 ohm coils works well at that voltage with lighter flavors. the higher 2.4 - 2.6 ohm coil (sometimes meters at 2.8 ohms) is too cool even for my lightest flavors.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Kiwivap, you are my hero - I think the fog is beginning to clear. Tomorrow I will get my usual 1.8s for use with my other little batteries and the higher ohm to try with this higher volt one. Thank you so very much!!

Your other little batteries may be at 3.7 volts - if they are cig size. For those I'd actually recommend 2.2 or 2.5 ohms as well - unless you've tried 1.8 ohms with them and like that. Some smaller batts don't play well with lower resistance, like 1.8 ohms.

cat58

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
DFW
Your other little batteries may be at 3.7 volts - if they are cig size.

I'm just calling them little - they are ego batteries and they are actually 900s! (Go me, I figured out what I actually purchased!) So if they are putting out, what - 3.4 or so? - then that is why I liked the lowest setting on this variable thing - it was almost the same. I have really been liking how the 900 ego batts and the Evods worked with my juices. But then the higher setting, or volts, on this new battery was more than the 1.8 heads/coils/thingummies could handle, at least for my taste. I think that's it - have I got it now? Tricky figuring out all this ohms and volts and whatnot, at least for me.

Anyway, past my bedtime and my typing is showing it. I will get both size ohms tomorrow and see how everything plays out. Thank you both so much for the info -ya'll are the best. It was very frustrating when everything had been going so well and then all of a sudden it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread